Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

repiv posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation

Valve confirmed there will be an API games can use to query if they're running on a Steam Deck, so they can load up pre-tuned settings for it

This right here might be the single most important feature for the steamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Hi, I'm the lead dev on Proton since the project started in 2016.

That's awesome!

What's the biggest hurdle with the various anti-cheat programs? Looking at https://www.protondb.com/ most online PvP games won't run as they get blocked by anti-cheat software.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anything you might want to run in addition to Steam - Discord, TeamSpeak, OBS, various emulators - also have Linux versions, so I can't see any particularly good reason to install Windows.

Compatibility

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

extremely low effort troll. you can do better than this

You would think but he posted that through awful app for switch. Thing costs 60 bucks.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No Deck? Aw heck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also depending on popularity I see deck specific optimization and settings being patched in.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

What happens if you try to play a game on Deck that doesnt have native controller support or Xinput or whatever, like the old GTA games, have they said if theyre baking in some sort of thing for that or will the Deck just wait for you to connect a kb/m?

Steam has built in controller mapper. Check Settings > Controller > General controller settings. You can bind keystrokes and iirc even macros to gamepad buttons. It supports PS, Switch, XBOX, Steam and generic controllers. E: and you can rebind them via overlay too. Also they have support for community templates so you don't even have to map them all yourself.

That's been a feature for years

Vic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 7, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Why not? You can switch users on steam no problem.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There are plently of games distictly not for children like Factorio, Crusader Kings, and many more that I don't have to explain that are gonna be extremely my Deck jam.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Not for children meaning extremely boring

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Nintendo designing games for a younger audience doesn't mean you have to feel childish for enjoying it. Namaste

You're misunderstanding me, I'm saying I enjoy playing excelsheets. Also I never had a problem with enjoying something for kids, but just like playing with LEGO duplo it's usually not very stimulating.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I wish more things except the screen was touch sensitive.

Like the touchpad.

Also my genitals.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

For real though the customization is a big thing for me and steam got it right in a way no other company did.

Like my genitals

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's a different machine. The switch gimmick is nice but people who take gaming seriously on the go or trapped in parental duties appreciate the universal gamepad Steam just made real.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You literally highlighted the joke and said lol.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Makes sense you like stux

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'll take a workout I can get. Hoping for a spindle on the back for extra weight/storage space

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

drat joycon drifters ended up on our steam deck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Andrast posted:

Indie games still do well on the Switch.

Well yeah because we all want to play indie games on handheld devices.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ididnt

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

no deck? aw heck

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft absolutely does care where you play games or use any kind of software at all, they want the only possible way for you to run a program is by renting it from their app store and any platform that doesn't force you to rent your software from Microsoft is an obstacle to that goal.

Microsoft doesn't want iOS to exist, they don't want Android to exist, they don't want PlayStations to exist, or Switches or Rokus or smart TVs or Stadia or Steam Decks or literally any kind of device that gives revenue to any other company besides Microsoft.

If you don't understand this then you don't understand capitalism.

You should look up what truism is and then stop posting about loving capitalism in a thread about a nerd gadget.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Arcsech posted:

As somebody who works in tech: they're right. None of the tech majors, nor a significant portion of smaller firms, want open ecosystems right now, they all want their own walled garden because those are incredibly lucrative. The only limiting factor is that they don't want to look too consumer-hostile.

Game pass might or might not end up on other platforms, but Microsoft as a whole would very much rather other operating systems and/or gaming platforms not exist, despite any lip service paid to "open platforms".

Thank you for bringing this secret tech insider information to light. Can you comment on whether or not Microsoft likes profit? I heard rumors that say yes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

deffo self hating nerd

girls might be watching

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Regarding Switch/Deck/Dock/Charger compatibility:
- When you're using USB-C, the device, the cable and the brick communicate via simple chips what specs they are.
- USB-C PD (power delivery) supports several voltages and amperages.
- The device will choose the highest possible charging speed available based on the received info
- Any USB cable will charge your deck/switch
- Most USB power bricks are for mobile phones and such devices, so they are incapable of charging deck/switch at full speed
- Nintendo power brick is specced to charge only the power profile switch uses (18W or 15V/1.2A), so the brick might charge something else at that profile but won't work for most stuff (not your deck). Switch itself will recharge with any USB power source though.
- Steam Deck needs 45W power supply to charge while running, up to 60W when it charges at full capability (though I'm reading it's been updated to go full 100W the spec allows for?)
- USB PD 2.0 and 3.0 offer the same voltages although 3 offers some QOS.
- No USB-C charger or cable will break your device unless they are specifically built to do so/fake specs.

tldr: Buy a power adapter that's USB PD 2.0 (or higher) and 45W (or higher) from a single port (some sellers will claim two ports 20W each means 40W etc). Same rules apply for powerbanks. They will charge your laptop, phone or switch no problem at their respective voltages.

Vic fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 26, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Using Moonlight and just streaming my desktop to my phone or laptop screen is so good and low latency I lost my use case for the Deck. I still kinda want my toy though. :shepspends:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

loudog999 posted:

What is a recommended power bank to use for the Deck? I have a vacation with the family and in laws coming up and between myself and all the kids that will be there I am going to need one.

You need a USB PD 2.0+ with 45W+ output from a single port (in other words, capable of 20V Power Delivery Power Rating).

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 2, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's made for the Switch so it outputs something like 40W, the Deck wants 65. When I use mine the Deck says that it's charging but slowly; I don't think the HDMI worked when I tried it but I didn't try too hard and Deck docking is a bit touchy since it's just "computer with an external output"

Deck does works fine with any generic USB-C laptop dongle, but the Switch is the odd duck so unless you find a dongle that claims to work with both the Switch and any laptop I think you're stuck in either/or territory if you only want to buy one.

Anything capable of fast-charging Deck via USB C will charge Switch no problem, because it's USB PD2 or 3 compatible. Switch is not special at all, it's also USB-C PD standard. Deck just needs the 20V profile 4 which is 45W-100W to charge wile running. Switch uses the 15V profile.

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 17, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The Switch is special in the sense that it refuses to display with generic docks/dongles. You can certainly get a plug that charges both the Switch and the Deck, but you probably won't get one thing (right now, anyways) that you can plug into a TV and swap which console you have showing up.

Switch absolutely works with generic docks/dongles, but the dongle (and the power brick) needs to be able to supply the 15V power profile for switch to start outputting HDMI mode (not DisplayPort or Thunderbolt) via USB-C 3. There's no proprietary nintendo stuff in the dock.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

because they literally built and advertised it as "for the switch", yes

Not in the dock itself, no; in the Switch's recognition of "is this a valid HDMI out", absolutely yes.

Generic (ie, "not advertised as for the Switch", bought from an Office Max with your laptop) dongles don't necessarily match "what the switch is looking for". It'd be great if they did, I've got like three of them I'd love to use instead of having "for nintendo switch only" crap laying around, but that isn't how Nintendo chose to implement their software layer so here we are. They all charge the switch just fine, but 0 of them trigger the "docked" mode on the switch itself.

Plenty of third parties do make dongles for the Switch but that's not what I mean when I say "generic".

I did not know that, thanks! I've seen so many switch compatible dongles and portable monitors I assumed Nintendo wouldn't try to lock you out of using standard hardware protocols it's using anyway. How naive of me.

It's like needing approval for a walk in a public park.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

i might be out of the loop here. prying the battery off the sticky tape is a problem why?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah I ain't no decktician but I bet I could wing it with a guitar pick

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

sigher posted:

It's weird that Stux gets probed for the shitposting yet the mods end up huffing it.

It's not mods, it's mega64. Watch out he will threadban you if you badmouth anime.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

During the flight I smiled to myself when I realized the Deck has allowed me to join an elite and rare group: People who have played (emulated) Bomberman for the Sega Saturn on an airplane. lol.

Yes but that's mainly because emulating bombermen on airplanes has been highly frowned upon

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

I want space cadet pinball

https://alula.github.io/SpaceCadetPinball/

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Deck's control options are amazing holy poo poo. The things you can do with the trackpads, gyro, touchscreen is blowing my mind right now.

First person shooters that are playable even without the gamepad target snapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfme9QnCd2Q

Vic fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 29, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Oh no my most shameful thread title.
Ok, maybe the question is does anyone know what directory it puts stuff into then? Because according to bottles it installs everything on a c: drive that steam can't find, and I've dug through everything steam can see in the "add non steam game" window and nothing is there

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The "fake Windows environment" is ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/(some large number)/pfx/drive_c and then the executable is probably buried in there. I'd assume you'd be able to pick from that. I just find that kind of stuff from the command line, but if you're using the file browser you can probably sort by modification date and just go with the latest numbered folder.

The full path is home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/(some large number)/pfx/drive_c
(.local is a hidden folder, so in the desktop mode file browser go to the upper right corner menu and enable Show Hidden Files)

the compatdata folder is for the windows compatibility layer stuff. Each nonsteam-app you add into steam (identified by the "some large number" part) creates it's own fake C: folder like this.

Vic fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 5, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm not sure why you would want to use bottles in lieu of just proton.

Download battle net installer, add it as a nonsteam-app, install, change the path to the installation folder* and bam you can play blizzard games in steam.

*it detects existing install

Vic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 5, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Installed Origin and Titanfall 2
Installed Battle.net and Overwatch.

I'm looking for a way to make games not be able to detect the Deck's controller. There are some control scheme conflicts in some games otherwise. I was googling for a solution but nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

nullscan posted:

I saw a post about a goon steam deck discord but invite is invalid, can we get a new link?

https://discord.gg/VKpjdBPN