Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The switch has like a 7 year old Tegra in it. The deck is running on the newest AMD architecture and there's a chip shortage. They are definitely losing money on these right now and probably for a couple years.

The sort of smart thing that Valve did was pick a chip from AMD that is OEM only. For whatever reason, OEM partners are still getting parts for their systems during this shortage, so in theory it will mean Valve will be able to produce the number of Gabe Gears that they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In isolation there's value in the eMMC model for indy and older titles, but that's also a market the Switch already has well covered.

To be fair, the switch has problems running a lot of older and indy titles smoothly. Even 2d card battlers like slay the spire can lag. Which is why I'm super interested in the steam deck, at the very least it will play all those types of games flawlessly.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Realistically how many games do you really need at one time on a device that gets 2 hours of battery life?

The way I tend to use these things is on 16-hour flights plugged into seat power (if it works) or a really large battery. Then at hotels plugged into the tv. That's how I use the switch and it's convenient as gently caress at airports, coffee shops, etc. I don't think I've ever used the switch purely on its own battery power, at least not for any extended period of time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

I'm not seeing the expected delivery date anymore on my reservation dealie, anyone else the same?

Mine is like that as well. :iiam:

Wamdoodle posted:

Regardless if it's true or not, it's been echoed several times by different posters so it's out there

Yeah, it's a little weird. While the initiatives may have been a failure in terms of adoption rate, the hardware itself was nicely designed and built.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GTO posted:

In terms of running games on this, for people who can't be bothered to install windows etc and just want to use it out of the box, will they just be offering a kind of reduced set of 'deck compatible ' apps (ie all the Linux compatible ones?) via the deck version of Steam?

Has anyone who's done this before got a view on how buggy that is and how much tweaking you need to do to get the more demanding games to work properly?

You can check here to get an idea of what will run out of the box or with no configuration required.

https://www.protondb.com/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

Steam shows native linux games at https://store.steampowered.com/linux, in steam that's under Categories -> Special Sections -> SteamOS

A lot of non-native games also run just fine through proton.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

v1ld posted:

They're both excellent designs and very well built - especially the Steam Controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM

Also Valve assembled it in the USA with Aperture Science robots.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

I really, really want Steam Deck to workout so that the custom off shoots start popping up. Like a $200 machine that is slightly smaller that is focused on playing Steam's massive library of 2d/less intense 3d games/Retroarch in a simple package. Like something the does Jupiter Hell/Hollow Knight/Enter the Gungeon/etc. Maybe top off with something 3d like Bloodstained depending on the price.

Well from what I've read, Valve has decided to open up the "Steam OS" of the deck for anyone to use. So in theory any of the companies making similar devices like the GPD win or whatever could put out steam deck clones if they wanted.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

Yeah, I read that too. Valve through just has to prove that its possible to make a profit first and/or that there is a massive market here for the taking. I really want a Steam focused competitor to the something like the Retroid Pocket 2.

Retroarch is currently in development for steam / close to being released. So the steam deck should be able to completely replace that category of device, well at least when it comes to performance. pocket-ability is another story.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mine says that too, sweet.

Bone Crimes posted:

Huh, nice for you. In the confirmation email, what does it say for date issued? mine says "Date issued: Jul 16, 2021 @ 10:09am PDT"

My order was 10:01, I was pretty quick on the draw.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

I tried Retroarch for the first time because of this thread, and wow, what's with the really awful keyboard controls? I had to go look in the manual to figure out that backspace is the back button in menus and I still can't figure out how to remap that to the escape key.

It's almost 100% assumed you will be using it with a controller. It doesn't forgive having terrible keyboard bindings, but that's how it is.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Outside of minecraft, raytracing doesn't make enough of a difference to justify the performance hit. It would also probably be extra hard to see on a smaller screen.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Say they decide to support the Proton version as first class with QA and all, especially for something like the Deck. Does it really matter then if it isn't "native"?

There's a performance hit if the game doesn't use Vulkan. If it does use Vulkan than it basically doesn't matter.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There isn't a dedicated screenshot button, but you can more or less configure whatever combination of buttons you want to trigger a screenshot. As for looking at and managing the screenshots, if it works anything like steam does now, yes you should be able to pause your game and trigger the steam overlay to then look at the screenshots. It should have all the functionality we currently do in steam.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does gamepass let you play offline? The last time I had to make use of the steam offline functionality was back in 2015 or so and it was not a super experience. I don't know if it has since improved, but the Switch seems to understand that the console might go for a long time without connecting to the internet and updates are unobtrusive and always give the option to forgo them in favor of just playing.

Hopefully Valve has figured out something similar for the deck.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I guess the main reason to buy a valve dock is because it would ostensibly let you stand up the deck and use its screen as a second display. A random USB dock would work, but probably just dangle off the end.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

just grab a generic phone/tablet stand, the usb-c connector is at the top anyway.

Ah, I figured it was on the bottom like the switch. I guess it's going to dangle either way then.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Valve tossed up a FAQ page for the Steam Deck:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/faq

This entire page can be summarized as:

Q: "Does the Steam Deck have this [necessary/cool/interesting] thing?"
A: "Yes."

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

You could enjoy it right now with Stadia... on your phone...

Christ, please don't try that.

Or do try it long enough to reinforce your decision to order a Steam Deck.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

Nice, have you also got a switch? If so, are you able to give a rough comparison of how it feels in the hand compared to the switch?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo should really just put all their poo poo on steam and enable cross-platform saves with the switch (some games have it, like Diablo 2). At least, they should have done that a long time ago. Now that the steam deck is coming out, they certainly won't for fear of it eating into switch sales.

On the other hand, they should stop making hardware and just focus on making games. Sega is doing far better now than they did during the console wars.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Nintendo is making like a bajillion dollars with the switch. It’s a very clear winner.

They’ve sold 89 million switches as of august fwiw.

Yes, that's true. But it means I'm forced to play their games on a system that can barely handle 24 fps most of the time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

Most of the first party stuff runs pretty great in my experience. I’m not trying to play Doom Eternal or Witcher 3 on switch though. I understand emulation has a LOT of overhead in terms of spec requirements. My gut feeling is that you won’t be playing switch games on a steam deck. I can’t imagine even like gamecube games would be great on it, and I know dolphin rules.

Oh, the Nintendo titles generally do run smoothly but that's what makes the whole situation so frustrating. Third-party titles often run like rear end for non-obvious reasons, I'm not even referring to Doom Eternal. Basic 2d card games like slay the spire or dead cells will lag and drop below 30 fps quite frequently. Whatever the issue is, the vast majority of Third-party games suffer from this. This means that instead of the switch being an amazing system all-round. It's just an amazing Nintendo machine for Nintendo games.

I just want a system that will play everything relatively smoothly. It seems like the steam deck will be able to do that. If it somehow could also emulate the switch smoothly then it would be the ultimate system.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

How the gently caress does a card game struggle to maintain 30?

It's better now than it was at launch, but it still slows down when there are lots of enemies and you select a card, or use a card that has an effect, or when your deck gets reshuffled. For whatever reason the switch doesn't seem to like the 2d effects that slay the spire uses. It's a similar story for Dead cells. It's a pretty basic 2d platformer, but it struggles to maintain 30 fps. Must have something to do with layered effects.

The weird thing is I remember the original DS had the same problems. It could handle quite a bit of 3D stuff, but due to the processor they used it was actually not quite as good at rendering 2d stuff as the GBA or super nintendo.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Insanite posted:

Plus, Steam sales are regular and deep. Nintendo makes my wallet hurt ~~

The Nintendo tax is real and it's horseshit. For example Atelier Ryza was recently on sale on both Steam and Switch and for no reason other than "lol it's on the switch, lets charge more" it was 50% off on steam and only 25% off on switch.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Good on them for making the thumbsticks an easy job. I do wonder how much replacements will end up costing, though.

I don't think it will be much of an issue. I doubt it will be necessary to replace them more than once during the life of the console.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

That's the first time I've heard someone say that unscrewing a case damages the structural integrity of said case

Is it because of stuff like not torquing the screws to spec when reassembling?

Self-tapping screws basically create their own threads the first time they are installed. They actually dig into the plastic and cut through it. I imagine they might loosen the screw hole each time they are removed and reinserted.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited for this thing for all sorts of reasons, but one of the biggest is that whenever travel goes back to some sense of normality, I'll be able to cut my travel kit down to a steam deck, an ipad+keyboard and a phone. I used to lug a powerful laptop everywhere and it was always a pain having to get it out every time I passed through security. It will be sweet to have this on flights and then dock it hotel tvs or whatever.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

we'll have a steam deck 2 before travel ever goes back to any sense of normal lol

Well so long as this kind of device class is firmly established by then, all's good.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

Why bring the ipad? The steam deck is all the tablet you'll ever need

Indeed, it is all you'll ever need, full stop

Typing emails and occasionally showing stuff to clients. Mostly work-related laptoppy stuff. You are right about the deck being the only thing that I'd need for personal stuff.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

Valve seems to be really emphasizing that micro SD cards will be fast enough. I’m cautiously optimistic that will be the case. If not, I’m sure there will eventually be aftermarket shielded NVMEs that come out if the deck really takes off.

They work perfectly fine on the Switch. Perhaps some load times will be a couple seconds longer than on the SSD, but I don't think it will be noticeable most of the time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

its a platter drive.

So it will have a negligible difference in most games, with only a select few benefiting from the SSD in a significant way.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

do you live in the year 2010

I've got 4 SSDs and 2 HDDs in my computer. There are a handful of games that see a significant improvement from being on an SSD as opposed to an HDD. The vast majority see only negligible improvements.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

youre off your rocker mate. absolutely on one. chuff off with this bollocks.

Ok, I'm crazy to suggest that that the vast majority of games will run perfectly fine off the SD card with some exceptions.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying Assassin's creed Valhalla is going to run fantastically off the SD card. There are certainly some games that won't like being installed on it. But like 90% of the games in your library will run perfectly fine off of it with maybe the worst symptom being an extra 5-10 seconds on loading times.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
UFS isn't proprietary to Samsung, it's a standard that is just seeing slow adoption. There are a bunch of phones that use it, but it's not super common in computers yet.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Is there much reason for UFS cards to see any real adoption now the newer SD card specs are faster anyway? SD UFS-III does 600MB/sec and SD Express does >1GB/sec

This is also pretty much a nail in the coffin for UFS adoption, because SD Express is backwards compatible; it just runs slower when plugged into an older port.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Storage of any type will typically only reach the maximum rated speeds during the reading or writing of large contiguous files. Under most workloads the maximum speed is not reached for a variety of reasons. This is why most games only see an improvement in the 10's of seconds on load times even though an nvme drive has over 10x the transfer rate of a typical HDD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_iJTrzOus
Edit: Note that this video features open-world games that only load on boot and then have no or few loads afterwards. These tend to be the worst-case scenario for HDDs.

It depends on the game of course, but often there is typically a 20-ish second reduction in load times when going from HDD -> SSD and then usually between 0-1 second benefit from going from SSD -> nvme.

Now this might be a problem if you plan on playing Flight Simulator on your Steam deck, but outside of the latest resource-intensive AAA games it's not likely to make much of a difference for the vast majority of games. And you can always just put those resource-intensive games on the internal SSD.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
quote is not edit.