Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

two quick questions about the steam deck. I'm thinking of getting one because I don't have a windows PC, but I want to play age of empires (2 definitive addition and 4) Skyrim with mods, and fallout 4 + other old PC games. I'd play all of them docked to a computer screen with a keyboard and mouse. is this a good idea?They seem cheaper than a gamer laptop, and I have a ps5/switch for most gaming (and my main computers are macs). Or is a gamer laptop a better choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So the deals thread led me here. If I want a the ultimate emulating machine for gamecube and below (so also ps2) I'm assuming this is the machine? I want to be able to play the Zelda's Nintendo won't port over, Rogue squadron, the good bond games like Agent under fire and Everything is nothing, SSX, that sort of thing. Size wise, it's a little bigger than a Wii U touchpad right? And it's easy enough to just plug this into a tv or monitor and then use a PS4/5/8 bit controller for those games right?)

For first party I'll still buy them on switch/PS5 when I can, but for everything else i've described does, this sound about right? And I'm assuming the cheapest version plus a big micro sd card will serve my needs well enough? (I'm talking 50 old games or so tops, plus things on steam here and there that peek my interest).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ceramics posted:

The main thing I use my deck for is playing ps2 and GC games, sometimes docked, and it works magnificently.

64gb+SD Card is ideal for that.

Also I use a $25 aliexpress dock so don’t think you gotta shell out for the valve one.

So basically, because I haven't been paying attention this sounds like it's more or less the console of my dreams. Portable, has all the old games I love/wanted to play, plus it can play new games, plus it can be docked. Got it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

is Starfield coming to the deck? I'm tempted to get it for that and gamecube emulation.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So how good is the deck for Ps2 Gamecube and below emulation? Can this play star field and age of empires 4? Looks like diablo 4 runs on it. Because if this is basically a better switch in terms of I can dock it and connect a keyboard/controller mouse, I may just have to get this.... the new OLED one just looks super sick, and since I have a monitor at my girlfriends place, i could see this being the perfect/game on the couch with her or in my office at her house and then bring it home to my place when I'm there during the week.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Can you play black ops 2 on the steam deck? I’ve been wanting to play old school zombie maps and two of them are DLC only on 2. I know I can play black ops 4 on my PS5 zombies, but on my growing list of reasons to get a deck, zombies is another strong justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

Testing now.

E:Zombies is extremely playable with very slight frame drops when a new wave is spawned.

Multiplayer is also very playable

I’ll update on single player in a moment

Thanks! Only way to play three pretty classic zombie maps.