Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shammypants posted:

Can't really take it as a given with how those cheat prevention tools are installed though. They are having to work directly with Valve to make it work on their OS.

They’re using Arch with KDE Plasma. Even if they’re creating a custom kernel that works better with cheat prevention, either you could just copy the one they’ve made and use it on a desktop or those changes will be in the next kernel release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The APU is really impressive and should be a lot more powerful than the 4500U in the Aya Neo, but would Valve be able to make an ARM version at some point? That would require translating Windows->Linux, x86->ARM and maybe even 32-bit to 64-bit, but apparently the M1 MacBook can get decent performance running Windows games through a VM so it might be possible.

box86 with Wine lets you run 32-bit Windows applications on ARM Linux devices like the Raspberry Pi, but not 64-bit ones. Microsoft took ages to get 64-bit programs working on their ARM Surface laptops so I don’t know how long it will be before you can do this on Linux.

The whole point is to get much better battery life of course, and it wouldn’t need huge fans and vents to stop it from melting in your hands.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve probably pointed this out before but god drat the steam cloud saving is amazing.

I started playing Elex on my Pc and it’s so seamless to be able to pick up my Aya Neo and pick up where I left off for my save.

Hell I have saves from FC3 from like 5 years ago that were there when I started again.

I remember the days of having to back up your saves because if your PC crashed they were long gone.

Now it’s not even a thing I think about.

Check PCGamingWiki to see which games support cloud saves. I’ve lost a lot of progress switching to different PCs before I realised it’s not supported in every Steam game.

It’s not universal in GOG Galaxy either, unfortunately.