Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fuligin posted:

wgats the res on the switch, just so i haff something to compare to

720p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Valve is hoping other hardware manufacturers hop on board this trend, so with lots of different SteamOS handhelds on the market there won't be any one spec to optimize for. And it's also why I think Valve will continue putting out new models every couple years for as long as it's profitable for them. If this doesn't catch on, then they'll drop it as quickly as they've dropped everything else, though.

Though this scenario presents a problem. Valve is using its monopoly power as the platform holder to sell the cheapest model at a very low profit margin, or potentially even a loss. That makes it borderline impossible for other manufacturers to compete. Valve can make that money back on game sales, but the other manufacturers can't. They'd have to either sell at a higher price and be undercut by Valve or attempt to corral users into their own marketplaces. So I don't really understand how Valve expects a robust ecosystem of handhelds to arise in this situation.

Sounds exactly like what happened with Steam Machines tbh and we all know how that went

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Can you imagine Microsoft making something like the Steam Deck?

The Game Gear but with the TV tuner built right in!!!!

They’re all in on GamePass but I can see them doing a cheap streaming-only home console/HDMI stick in the future.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

does anyone know yet what the difference is between the storage speeds of the 256 NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)/512GB high speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4) models?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alyx is one of the coolest games I've ever made, calling its use of VR a gimmick is extremely reductive imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WTFBEES posted:

Game Pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dunno why you’d wanna emulate switch games anyway tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine buying this thing to play anything but Doom mods in bed just lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ColdPie posted:

First thing I installed

hell yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I 100% am interested in how it runs emulators.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How's the heat/noise after long play sessions? Does it feel hot to hold when playing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s gonna be the new Vita

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I meant that in a good way as in after the vita got hacked

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can’t believe it didn’t hit 60fps in cyberpunk on high settings. Cancelling my preorder

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i’m laughing on the floor that i can play old rear end games better on hardware that’s four years newer and massively more powerful 😂😂😂

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

valve's transparency over their hardware (and I guess the development of Alyx) in the last few years is mind-blowing to me compared to how tight-lipped over their software they've been for years

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

will Destiny 2 work on this thing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if I can play Destiny 2 on this thing.... good god

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Why bring the ipad? The steam deck is all the tablet you'll ever need

Indeed, it is all you'll ever need, full stop

iPad has better graphics

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah. SD stanks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is N64 emulation going on the Deck these days?

how would we know

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dramicus posted:

So it will have a negligible difference in most games, with only a select few benefiting from the SSD in a significant way.

Whaaa

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i can’t see any way a new form factor of consumer level flash storage gets any sort of major adoption

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

n4 posted:

I checked the thread thinking there was some news about the Steam Deck but it turns out some people think a microSD slot is going to read other media types and people are really concerned about microSD speeds.

Cool thanks for letting us know!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder why they have Alyx marked as not working, can the deck just not run it at all? Like if it has a USB-C output with displayport, I’d assume it could run VR at lower graphics settings?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm pretty sure their criteria for "working on deck" includes "does not require additional hardware", so no VR-only game is going to get that status. It's so that you don't get games that "work on deck" but only if you plug in a keyboard.

Ah, gotya

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

because its below min spec op

cool, ty stux

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

just get a desktop pc.

lol good one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

noob question, will you be able to install Win11 on this thing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Win11 not have some weirdly specific CPU requirements though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

more just curious tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m mainly thinking windows for Destiny 2 unless they get the anti cheat stuff sorted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3104663180636096966

Starting to see some movement anti-cheat wise now, ARK and M&B2 have opted into Battleyes Proton support

There's still a lot of games to go, and I doubt all of them will opt-in, but it's a start

Destiny 2 :pray:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat rip

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Q2 2022 :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nothing to laugh about. I promised both my kids Steam Decks from Santa and there’s going to be some very sad kids on Christmas morn’.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They’re in tears right now, knowing they’ll have to play games at sub-720p on their switch lites for another year

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Veotax posted:

The SD card in my Switch has been in there since launch day and all of my games are installed on it and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Congrats on your theft