Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have laid down my £4 blood sacrifice so that I might have a (64gb given how a friend said he never noticed a difference loading internal vs SD) Deck for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yes, Game Pass stuff will only install on Windows through the Xbox app or run as cloud games. Though the cloud stuff is alright and the only way to play the Xbox 360 stuff on PC, but it doesn't have everything you can install natively which is annoying.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Emudeck is a system people seem to like which you can use to add games directly into your library which will automatically launch the relevant emulator if it's installed on the Deck. Retro Game Corps did two videos on it.
Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP-DF9K2SM
Guide: https://youtu.be/ylErPAL2cj0

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lockback posted:

There's no ads or anything that gives retroarch anything if you use it though. I mean, use what you want but also if you don't want to use software written by people who are kind of dickish to other developers I have bad news about, like, a lot of emulators.

There's dickish and there's were a major factor in a developer's suicide though. Though for what it's worth I also think Retroarch is a garbage piece of software and while it has its place on cheap emulator handhelds and Raspberry Pis there's no reason to use it on a PC or Steam Deck or even a phone instead of a standalone emulator with how stupidly fussy it can be about some stuff. Like the Android version can't handle external storage so if you install it on an Android TV box you need to copy your games to what is probably the box's fairly small internal storage because it can't see an external hard drive.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 27, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Unfortunately Valve prevents you from docking if you're showing your Deck to someone else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Valve made a big deal about user serviceability. So I imagine there's a good reason for using glue here?

Using glue or sticky pads to hold a battery in is pretty common, if you open up an old iPod those batteries are glued down too and they're not too hard to get out with a bit of patience and possibly a hairdryer to soften the glue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can't call it the Stream Deck, that's already a thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anno posted:

Do they for hardware? I think they’ve supported the poo poo out of their hardware and hardware-adjacent software like SteamOS, Link and Input. The Steam Link, which isn’t even production anymore, just got a firmware update like yesterday. This isn’t a project they can just change to a software solution down the road so I think it’ll be fine.

Steam Link is still a going concern for them, just as an app for other devices which is basically the same software as runs on the actual Steam Link hardware. My expectation is there probably isn't going to be a Deck 2, and they'll just make SteamOS available to anyone making a handheld PC.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Historical pattern recognition of Valve hardware, they tend to use their hardware to launch a more widely used piece of software (Steam Link, SteamVR, possibly SteamOS now). If they did do a second gen Steam Deck great but it'd be the first piece of hardware they've ever made a second generation of. Plus any power boost to it would be dependant on AMD's development of their integrated graphics, which isn't generally an area that sees a lot of rapid development as much as I'd love for that to change.

Also the Deck isn't a money maker, Steam is the money maker. Making SteamOS the default OS for handheld PCs means further entrenching Steam as the default storefront for PC games which is what makes Valve money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Is any of that true of the index though? It's been readily available to order for years now, Valve still makes them, the rest of the VR space has seemed to have mostly shifted towards much cheaper HMDs that require less powerful, or no extra hardware.

SteamVR is still largely the runtime everyone uses for PC VR though, even the Epic Store uses SteamVR to launch its VR titles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

Why does the Steam Dreck count play time on a game while it's in sleep mode? Is this some sort of Steam-on-Linux thing?

Steam itself or the game clock? There's a few games on Switch that count game time while left in sleep mode as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Is there a feed of when and what games get marked compatible?

The Steam Dreck Twitter does tweet studio announcements when their games are verified, and there's also ProtonDB.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Best versions doing a lot of heavy lifting there when referring to P3P.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SanDisk and Samsung are the go-to's yeah.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Valve Steam Deck posted:

An Average Gamer's look at the Steam Deck and what it offers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8fSTivd0TA

-I hadn't even heard of Heroic Launcher as a Lutris competitor before, sounds good
-Didn't know itch.io games could be installed to SD card
-It's funny how Cloud Gaming still isn't supported but then I guess neither MS nor Google have any incentive to do so, so right now it's DOA
-I thought Mortal Kombat wasn't supported but he has footage of it running, maybe streaming over Steam

Xbox Cloud is supported through browser, since you can just install Chrome and play through there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone know what game he's playing at 5:40?

Oceanhorn, a pretty decent game that garnered Gamer Rage because it's a Zelda clone.

The sequel is a Breath of the Wild clone which is even funnier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you have decent internet cloud play is fine, but right now that really needs Wifi 6 for wireless use. I seriously doubt they're ever going to make a native download Game Pass for anything other than Windows just because the selection would be so much more limited. Given the rumours of them putting out a dedicated streaming stick for the cloud stuff I think that's going to be their bigger focus just because it fits more devices much more easily.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That game (the GOG version at least) worked right away with my 8bitdo controller that uses xinput. I don’t see why the Steam version would be different.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah this is the kind of thing where it only makes sense to lean into it and wear giant anime headphones

Ideally with light up cat ears.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have those and can confirm they are very good indeed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

If the cable brushes against your clothing, does the sound transfer to your ear canal? I have had that issue with basically every pair of wired earbuds or monitors and it sucks because they're nearly infinitely more portable than headphones.

No, though I was kinda expecting it since the cable feels a lot like the one on Moondrop's other uber cheap set the Quarks which was like that for a while before it presumably wore its coating down a little.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From what I understand EmuDeck ties into Steam Rom Manager (I think it’s from the same devs), a utility that can add individual games into your Steam library so you can just launch them like any other game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not that I’m getting one anytime soon but how easy is it to actually do gamepass on this thing? I assume difficult enough to make it impossible

You either do cloud streaming or install Windows on it to play natively.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's a performance indicator and shows that you're playing the game right.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Sorry for the ignorant question. Is the work that’s been done on Proton likely to eventually lead to something similar for Macs?

It’s possible, but unlikely it’d be done by Apple themselves. The closest we have right now is Crossover, which is a subscription program (about $40 a year) which works pretty well in making windows games work on MacOS. Andrew Tsai did a good video on how to get the best prices on that if you do go down that route.
https://youtu.be/5tuWFR_QHcs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Do you think it’s something Valve would be interested in pursuing?

I don't, I think someone else might work on a Mac version of Proton similar to MoltenVK, the compatibility layer for using Vulkan on Mac but given Valve are going all in on Linux (again) I don't see them doing more to support MacOS. It's not out of the question for Apple to do something themselves, the Apple Silicon GPUs right now are extremely good but also seriously lacking for anything to really push them but it's not something I'm expecting, especially when the focus at WWDC seemed to be way more about getting more Mac and specifically AS native games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

It's so weird to me that even as Apple's popularity has exploded since the mid 00s there has never been a push to make Mac more of a viable platform for gaming. I mean, you can just run bootcamp and play games on that way pretty easily, but it's not like Apple is this niche brand like it was in the 80's and 90's, but you can still spend $1-3000 on an apple computer that is perfectly capable of playing any game you want. You just can't because 90% of devs just don't bother with OSX support.

You can't run Bootcamp on the current Macs, mostly because Microsoft haven't released a publicly available version of Windows for ARM. I think Apple have said its all on Microsoft whether Bootcamp ever comes back.

Cowman posted:

Windows is still like 75% or something crazy of the market share for Operating Systems. MacOS is sitting in second at 15%.

This is according to a quick Google search so it might not be accurate.

And as of the last Steam hardware survey MacOS is less than 3% of Steam users. Though that's still a higher percentage of users than people with VR headsets and Linux users.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because "gaming is for children, and if you want to play a game do so on the ios devices instead" is probably the C-level mentality

This is often what's been rumoured (no Tim Cook nothing you say can make me believe you play games after work), but I have hopes that someone with some level of power is pushing that gaming is basically the biggest expansion market Macs have at this point. There are a bunch of new gaming options in the next MacOS as well like system level button remapping and native support for racing wheels, flight sticks and even treating split controllers as a single unit like the Switch joycons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apple is making a half assed attempt to get gaming again on metal or whatever. They just announced RE8 and something coming to the Mac.

Hell, getting REengine on mac alone would open up Capcom’s current big hits.

The latest version of Metal as I understand it is also much more on parity with Vulkan in terms of features, which was a big issue with the last one. They also announced an upscaler along the lines of DLSS or FSR which would be a weird thing to do if they weren't at least trying something.

I was also kinda surprised when I got my current M1 Macbook (my first mac) at how many games in my Steam library were compatible. Even stuff that doesn't list Mac compatibility on its store page.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 5, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also all storage these days says "actual useable capacity will be lower" on the packaging whether its built into a games console or removable storage to keep their lawyers happy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

sigher posted:

Is Steam Link a separate app you need to get on another PC? Or is it just built into Steam? How do I connect to my Deck from my main rig? I've been able to do it with my Android Tablet, but that's because it's just an Android app.

Steam Link is built into Steam, if you're logged into Steam on multiple devices you'll see the option to stream a game from another machine in the client if the other machine has it installed on its normal game page in your library. You only need the Steam Link app if you're on a machine that doesn't have a version of Steam like phones, tablets and TV boxes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

the steam deck already uses ddr5
Yeah and so do most of the other handheld PCs coming out now, I assume the pricing is much more reasonable when you're buying it in bulk like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How do you get these to work? I disabled the widescreen hacks part of the emudeck install because I was going for a "purist" approach but I've quickly changed my mind about that.
Right click a game, go into the Graphics options and change the aspect ratio to 16:9. Or you can change it globally in the graphics options and change any game that doesn't play nice in widescreen back to 4:3.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah you'd probably need a different cooling setup for a more powerful chip, also a new battery to account for changes in power consumption.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, there's a small number of key seller sites that are actually legit and get the savings from bulk key purchases but some of them (most notoriously G2A) are basically there for money laundering as people sell keys bought with stolen credit cards. Some developers have even said they'd rather you pirate their game than buy it through G2A because it can end up costing them more money in refunds and chargebacks than they got from the original sale.

Personally I've always used Green Man Gaming, they often have pretty good deals on new releases and their sales are good too.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 16, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Got my 256gb email today, will be smelling the vent for myself in no time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got my email yesterday night and somehow still don't have my deck this morning, what's stuff I can do while waiting to cope? I already created a Deck Verified collection in my library (that was smaller than I expected).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Got my "hey make a financial decision" email way earlier than expected. Are there any rumours about hardware revisions or anything, or should I just pull the plug and Buy A Silly Toy as my country heads towards a winter of insane fuel bills and interest rates?

Since the Deck is still running on AMD's latest GPU architecture (for about another month) I wouldn't expect a significant hardware revision for at least 2 more years. The biggest revisions I've seen have been about build quality and ironing out early unit issues.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I got my email after just over a month, if you preordered now I'd say it's almost sure you'll have it by November now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

You can actually, you just have to buy it in a bundle with all the other FEAR games

No-one should be forced to have Perseus Mandate in their library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the deal with this, anyway? Why does anti-cheat prevent steam deck playability? Is it a proton thing?

I think it is, I’ve heard a bunch of multiplayer games don’t work on proton because it doesn’t work with anti-cheat.