Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Squiggle posted:

You know, the best surprise is that I get 8 hours of batter life playing it without touching the energy settings. As for the controls...

I think I'm all done with a surprisingly effective, complete control scheme! I'm really pleased with how it turned out:

It makes ample use of touchpad menus, long-presses, and double-presses to include as many commands as I could, and I tried to group them together sensibly: long-pressing the Dive command will Crash Dive instead, LP-ing the Fire Deck Gun button becomes Fire Torpedo (plus long-pushing the torp button feels right anyway), etc. Even included a light gyro mouse, which comes in really handy for locking onto distant, small targets with the periscopes. Pushing, long-pushing, and double-pushing means I could put three stations/screens on each of the sticks, select, and menu buttons.

I sent it out to the community layouts, called "SH3 Command Deck v2"; I'm not sure how long that takes to show but if you've got a Silent Hunter III itch, give it a try and let me know if I'm missing anything glaring. Anything that's not bound should be accessibly by mouse or talking to your officers.

There's a third party app called SH3 Commander that does this! You can turn off the management entirely, about which I saw someone say "thats what I have officers for." I agree! Especially on the Deck with the trickier mouse controls. I need to figure out how to run it in the right context with Protontricks next. Will report.

Hey just wanted to say thank you for this. I'm going through some health problems right now so I got a Steam Deck and was looking for something like this to play, and my deck is arriving Tuesday i cant wait to boot this up!! Made my day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

haddedam posted:

Any good wargames? I'm looking at the Second Front for now but it seems like the most generic of generic settings humanly possible

assuming you mean groggy wargames, ive searched long and far and largely no. Hex of Steel is the closest ive come but its pretty light on depth.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello can anyone reccomend the best train simulator on the deck? Train Sim Classic is good but ive played it to hell on PC already, im looking at Railroader and Derail Valley, anyone know how those are on deck? or open to other suggestions!

im largely more concerned with how the games control, dont care too much about ultra realistic graphics, as long as it runs at 30FPS and doesnt make your eyes bleed im happy

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's Derail Valley, Deck or otherwise. While it's not perfect on the Deck (requires configuring specific control actions), it works well enough up to even 45 fps when locked.

Some useful info from someone in the Steam forums:

Thank you for this!! I keep hearing great things about this so I think I'm going to pull the trigger (and thank you for the setup help, I'm terrible at configuration so this is a big help)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Apologies for the double post, but is it normal for my Steam Deck to have better performance/higher FPS when im playing it while its charging? Im playing a lot of American Truck Simulator and when I plug it in the FPS goes up (it just does it instantly im not tweaking the settings or anything)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hmm conflicting info but if its not normal does anyone know what could be wrong or how to fix it? Its an OLED one ive had it less than a week

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

It shouldn't be happening but I don't know if it's something I'd worry about unless there's something worrying in the temps.

how do i check the temps?

i do have a fan on it that came with the case i ordered, i wonder if that could be the culprit?

thank you for the help everyone

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Party Boat posted:

If you've set a TDP limit at any point this will limit how much power the APU can draw from the battery and so limit its performance. This doesn't apply when plugged in so you'll see a boost as a result.

that makes sense thank you!! I honestly just took it out of the box, let it install all the default stuff, and so far have just been playing Truck Simulator. Havent messed with any settings or anything. Does this happen when you dont mess with the settings at all?

To be clear the performance when not plugged in is still very good, it just gets better when plugged in

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

njsykora posted:

Press the 3-dot button on the right side of the Deck and find the performance overlay option, level 3 will show you the CPU and GPU temps, at max you should expect to see about 80-85C.

Thank you very much!! what is an average/healthy operating temp? like if im playing for a few hours what temp range should i shoot for?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ah ok i misunderstood i thought that was the "max temp before you start doing damage so if you see 80-85c its too hot".

Thank you everyone for the help much appreciated!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can anyone reccomend a stylus that works well with the OLED deck?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

another dock question: can you plug in steering wheels/pedals for American Truck Sim?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Just wanted to post an update to my "Deck performs better when plugged in" problem in case anyone else has it:

not sure if this is just a coincidence or not but I had a case that had a fan on it and when I took the fan off the problem went away. I dont have the tech knowledge to know if that actually was the problem or not but its all good now!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

You had a what with a what?

a case that had a fan accesory attached to it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

in case the drat think got too hot idk it came with the case i bought

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vic posted:

It's to avoid Deck getting those night sweats :allears:

it was made to point toward the deck but actually now that i took it off it does work as a little personal fan lol not a bad idea

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you just answered your own question

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Does it plug into the deck? It was probably drawing enough power that the deck had slow down the CPU and GPU and whatnot.

it did, thats probably exactly it ty!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

good lord you people are dicks i was just trying to say the problem was fixed and explain it idk much about tech stuff ill go flagellate myself accordingly

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im experiencing some input delay on a wireless controller when i play in docked mode, not really enough to effect regular games but def enough to effect racing games. Its this controller from amazon: EasySMX Wireless Gaming... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WBYFX24?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

is this the controller or is it just the nature of wireless controllers (my first time using one), or is there something I can do on the deck itself to fix it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats what i suspected, just wanted to confirm. thanks everyone!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

excuse the dumb question im computer illiterate

when a game asks me to run 32 bit or 64 bit which one should I choose? (id ask what they mean too if its a simple explanation ik this isnt a computer thread)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ty!!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of game is it? If it's a simpler game that doesn't load a lot of game assets it probably doesn't matter. If it's a hardware intensive 3D game, probably better to do 64 bit. 32 bit vs 64 bit can mean several things, but the gist of it is how much memory can the program access. A 32 bit program can only access around 3GB of memory, whereas a 64 bit program can access much more. More memory = more things in the game can be loaded at once.

its Train Simulator classic, I loaded it up on 64 and it worked great!

would the advantage of using 32 vs 64 just be battery life, is that why it would sometomes be better at 32?

also thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you everyone this thread is great always really helpful!!

one more question: Monster Hunter Rise, why are there black bars around the screen/how do I fix it? Changing the resolutions doesnt do anything. Heres a pic: