Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

flavor.flv posted:

I wonder if you could use this thing for vr. It meets the minimum specs for HL:Alyx, strap this onto your belt and plug in an oculus quest and you might have something

The graphics probably aren't up to snuff. RDNA2 is a step up from Vega but 8 CUs just isn't a lot. It's a good iGPU but ultimately it's just an iGPU. The current batch is outperformed by a 1030, even with a 50% uplift you're talking maybe maybe 1080p med. It's a good fit for the panel it's got, I wouldn't expect much more out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not that I put much stock into interviews, but Gabe said the idea was not so much to be profitable on the device as it was to create/popularize the device category, with the hope that other manufacturers get into the game. PC gaming is good for Valve, so if they can get people to look for and buy a device like this instead of a switch or phone games they come out a winner in the long term.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

That is absolutely a lie, because there are several manufacturers already producing pc-based handhelds and this is going to destroy all of them

They exist, but they're about as far from mass-market devices as things get; by the time you've heard of them you're already deep in ubernerdery. Valve wants it to go mainstream. Or so they say.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Retroarch is currently in development for steam / close to being released. So the steam deck should be able to completely replace that category of device, well at least when it comes to performance. pocket-ability is another story.

Performance is the easy part. They aren't low power devices for any reason other than that's what let's you make things cheap and small.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed until it comes with a bigger house

Ftfy

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Hardware wise, it's a low spec laptop with an iGPU that's somewhat but not radically more powerful than AMD's current laptop offerings and more ram than other things at the price point. It might be able to hold 60 fps at 1080p lowest settings but realistically you're not going to want to use it for anything above native res, and even then it's unlikely to max out modern games. Buy it for the form factor, don't expect performance not commensurate with a low-mid end laptop.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

I recently upgraded from a gtx970 / i7 3770. Everything still ran great at 1080p, only upgraded for VR and 1440p. I bet the Deck will hit 60fps with most games at 720p.

I think the question will be, is it max/high/med settings that it'll do 720p60 at (depending on the game, obvs). You can (and I have) done squint your eyes try to estimate performance, but that quad channel GDDR5 is an X factor I'm not sure how to evaluate.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I sold mine to buy 3 copies of Ravagan, Nimble Pilferer but I make fairly poor decisions in general on these issues

Does a switch not sell for enough to buy a playset or did you already have one?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

This thing can technically do ray tracing right?

If it can, only in the most literal of sense that you could turn it on. All of the Nvidia cards that do ray tracing have hardware specifically for it and even then take a massive performance hit. I would expect single digit framerates trying to enable raytracing on this thing.

E: AMD latest GPUs, of which this share an architecture, can enable it without the hardware Nvidia is using, but again, massive performance hit, talking 30fps at 1080p for a GPU that costs more than a base model are deck.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah all the complaints about RetroArch are valid. With a controller-based device you can just switch to an xmb style layout which is innocuous.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

RDNA2 does actually have hardware-accelerated ray tracing. It's not as good as Nvidia's, but it's nowhere near as bad as what you're saying. The 6800 XT gets around 60 FPS average in control with ray tracing set to high at 1080p, for instance, which is about equivalent to Nvidia's first-gen ray tracing efforts. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut entirely from this APU. Ray tracing doesn't scale down well, and it seems like an easy and sensible feature to cut when making a low-power GPU. Nobody's going to be tracing any rays on a 15W SoC.

The 6800XT is also $650, I was talking about the 6700XT, which does 40 in Control. I stand corrected on RDNA 2's RT hardware. But yeah, at 1/5th the CUs and 6% of the tdp, this ain't gonna be doing any RT.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with in the end. By positioning it as a switch competitor they've, intentionally or not, created the expectation that it will 'Just Work' like a console does, whereas anyone who's spent a significant amount of time gaming on a PC knows that fiddling and troubleshooting are just facts of life for the platform. Hell, even if they can get proton working seamlessly I can imagine a decent number of people upset / disappointed with all the aspects beyond that that might get in the way of it being a turn-key experience.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

My only concern with swapping out steam os for windows would be that presumably the OS works well with the built in controls while Windows wouldn’t be designed around it. Hopefully when they update big picture mode they also add a checkbox for “make my controller operate desktop as good as Steam OS does”

As long as the touchpads work it should be tolerable, but windows ain't about to be designed for navigating with sticks and buttons.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

homeless snail posted:

With Steam Input actually you can set up a desktop input profile that runs when you aren't playing a game, for navigating Windows with a gamepad, it works really well. Its especially good with the Steam Controller touchpads though

Well now, how have I never heard of this? It looks perfect for my tvpc.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The wiiu gamepad was the most ergonomic controller. Also long as it's not too heavy I suspect this thing will be hella comfy, though the buttons spilling over the edge isn't something I think I can be fully convinced of until I get my hands on one.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

repiv posted:

The exposed screws on the back bode well for it not being a clipped/glued together nightmare at least

While I expect it will be far more serviceable than most modern devices, everything but everything has some clips these days.

Also, for those who missed it, they said in the ign interview a few pages back that they're targeting 30fps at somewhat lowered graphics settings for current, graphically demanding games. An accomplishment for a mobile SoC to be sure.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It would cost fractions of a penny to have a cut out for a battery compartment, production can't take that kind of frivolousness!

RT though are there even any standardized batteries in that size? Google is only giving me dell laptop batteries, and contrary to the above, manufacturing your own removable battery probably isn't cheap. The availability of replacement cells could well be a concern though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It'll depend a lot on the quality of the SD card. Getting a cheap and slow one will be horrible no matter what the device itself can do over the interface.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

sigher posted:

What's the price range for the best of the best/fastest 1TB MicroSD?

At a glance, $200+. Also it appears the steam deck is limited to a UHS-I interface, with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 104MB/s. Compare to ~600MB/s of USB 3.0.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Wouldn't the better option be an external SSD? People seem to not be concerned with battery life because it'll mostly be plugged in and those are very light and small and 540MB/s is much better than an SSD card.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/
50g and smaller than the palm of your hand and 1TB for $140

It's only got one port, so you'll need to use some sort of hub/dock to charge and have any connectivity at the same time.

Efb

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

How we does steam handle having different library folders on the same storage mount point?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

There have been lots of people running tests trying to use the SD card as a storage device for games. This is the most in-depth one I’ve seen so far

https://youtu.be/efD2wAfhXrU

It's a nice test, but it doesn't get into the fact that every single loading screen in a game is going to be similarly proportionally longer. If you've gotten used to SSD speeds it's going to get old fast.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

BexGu posted:

Isn't that a part of the PlayStation 5 big thing? Extremely quick loading and then little to non loading screens in game?

The PS5 is using their own custom sauce to move data from the SSD very quickly, but people are generally pessimistic about it being used for anything but exclusives.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

sigher posted:

With this thing being a PC, how are drivers and updates going to work? Will SteamOS just provide all updates or will I have to go to AMD's site for the newest drivers? If you're running Windows you'll be doing everything like you usually would but I guess here they'd have to update everything straight up through Steam itself. I think I remember Steam actually having driver downloads at some point. Would AMD make drivers purpose built for this thing?

Given that they're rolling their own OS I'd imagine you're entirely dependent on Valve but the mobile driver space isn't straightforward. A while back AMD announced they'd be providing their own graphics drivers after laptop manufacturers just didn't provide any, severely hampering AMD laptop performance.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah steamOS is going to have to work just like Windows with auto updates and driver updates.

Mercifully, updating Linux is a much smoother and more streamlined process than updating windows.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are very few emulators out there that don't have native linux versions. Basically every open source emulator has a linux build.

Though Proton only working through steam is kind of lame since it strikes me as an artificial limitation just to force linux users onto Steam. How dependent is it on Steam, really? Could someone conceivably build a custom version that works with non-steam games?

Its already a custom version of something that does. Proton is a version of wine that's got valves devs working to make it user friendly. Wine is a program that lets you run windows programs under Linux, which works, but (as of ~6 years ago anyways) is a humongous pain in the rear end to configure, and exponentially moreso when you want to run more than one program.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I would bet similarly, but they've said you can use any usb c dock.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

PS2 emulation requires a nonzero amount of futzing with menus to get things to work right, so you'll have to engage with the steamdeck as a desktop.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Nah I mean even in an optimal use case you have to enable/disable some settings depending on the game you're running to get it to run properly, it's just not in a completely turn-key place yet (as opposed to dolphin, or earlier systems). It's not a failing of the steam deck, but it does mean navigating pcsx2's menus using the touchpads, which will probably be fine, but also annoying.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

If the switch emulator "can't run at full speed" will that mean low FPS, or will it mean slow motion gameplay?

Slow motion.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Don't listen to Stux he doesn't know what he is posting about. Its all speculation.

Probably it won't run switch emulation the best or better than a desktop with equivalent hardware, but we don't know. Also emulation tends to get more and more performant as time goes on, so its possible even if it can't run it now (and its probably title dependent and not an across the board thing) it could run it in the near future.

lol, its fairly low end laptop specs on a tiny power budget, it won't get anywhere near a desktop. There are some unknowns as AMD hasn't released anything with that few or such low power rdna2 cores yet, and the 720p screen will help offset the gpu shortcomings, but this isn't some wholly unknown piece of kit; its all commodity hardware (semi-custom nature of the apu nonwithstanding).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Stux posted:

the gpu is largely irrelevant, the cpu being 3.5ghz max on a 15w zen 2 is going to bottleneck most of the big games.

Yeah, none of the unknowns are about the cpu, since there are low power 4c/8t zen2 chips out there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Iirc PS3 emulation has made huge gains in the last couple years.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Sure, but I said APU which is a CPU/GPU combo that is normally targeted at cheap/value systems. And they handle PS3 with no issues now.

The pc in the video you linked looks like it costs $800+ when in stock. Laptops with the same CPU cost 2k. APUs aren't necessarily cheap, they're low power / SFF targeted. Cheap APUs would be more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb9o70pYUMg, which doesn't do PS3 flawlessly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dramicus posted:

The laptop with the 5500U linked above also handles PS3 at 60 fps, I just literally picked the latest video when I linked that. It wasn't a carefully curated choice to prove my point.

It notably doesn't, which is why I linked it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

me: what if i could use the face buttons
thread: that's too hard. have you tried rebinding face buttons to triggers for some ungodly reason

The gently caress would you be using face buttons for on a two-stick game? There's no way do it without moving your thumbs. That'll cost you frags!

But really though paddles are sweet.

E:ok I just googled claw grip and wtf?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 1, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Kwolok posted:

But my point is, comparing it to a 2015 pc with a 970, at equal game settings, on average its more likely this handheld will push higher framerates. The lower resolution helps (though it has almost twice the pixel density of a traditional display) quite a bit. BUt I'd suspect that pc and the stream deck running side by side with the same exact settings save for render resolutions would see the deck pump out better framerates. 2015 was seven years ago

Coure maybe I am just optimistic. I'm buying this dumb thing no matter what because I have nothing else to spend my money on in the middle of a god forsaken pandemic. Plus I mostly want to play pretty un-taxing games on it like celeste.

I think you don't understand just how little hardware is packed into this thing. It has 8 graphics CUs, running on 14w (shared with the CPU). The lowest end RDNA 2 card AMD has released so far has 28 CUs, and a 130w power budget alone. The steam deck (best I can tell from some google) will hit 60fps at 720p medium in Doom Eternal, a 970 will hold 60+ at 1080p high. There's a reason it has a 720p screen, thats all its capable of pushing, and even then they're targeting 30fps for more demanding current gen games. That said, it should be a fine experience on its screen and for 2d games it doesn't really matter at all.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Apparently Valve has also said you'll be able to change the TDP if you want. Its not clear if they mean within / near the 4-15w window or up to the 35w these parts nominally run at, but it'll be interesting to see what it can do on a higher power budget / before the cooling gives out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Even if the steamdeck gets an install base big enough to warrant tuning your code for Valve's own branch of arch linux and a hardware configuration that will never exist outside of this one (Valve-produced) device, all of the standardization console optimization relies on goes out the window the minute someone tinkers with an options file.

E:

The 7th Guest posted:

get all mad in a month when the steam deck doesn't live up to your ridiculous speculation

please do do this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I have no doubt the steam deck will play most anything you throw at it (pc games, not emulators, those have whole different set of system requirements) at 720p med/high at 30 to 60 fps. That's what its designed to do, that's why it has that screen, most importantly, that's all its display hardware is capable of. And on a tiny-rear end screen 720p will look fine. The thing is fit for purpose, but its purpose is playing games on steam at 720p; everything else is a bonus on account of it really just being a laptop in an unusual form factor. The only thing strange about its guts is that AMD (most likely) won't offer a 4c/8t cpu with 8 CUs, and presumable won't release any general market APUs that mix Zen 2 and RDNA 2.

Now, if you don't know computer hardware that last sentence might not mean anything to you, but you need to understand it before you have any idea what's being offered. Its a low end low power (for 2022) CPU with higher-for-a-low-power-portable-device graphics system. Notably, its extra graphics power probably won't help much with emulators since they tend to be far more processor heavy than native 3d applications.