Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer at heart, they're a platform holder who know that they need to support new features with a tangible product for them to get a foothold. They don't do version two of a product, but the software powering that hardware is continually developed and supported - Link is available on everything, even as a TV app, the Steam Controller became an all-encompassing controller configurator, and the Index is still one of the best headsets on the market that isn't going anywhere for a few years at the very least.

Although that said, the Steam Deck *is* a version two, of the Steam Box and Steam Controller - the same software that powered them was never abandoned, and the latest versions are now being found in brand new and improved hardware.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The difference between 2004 and now is that the tech works, has a sustainable market, and comes in a lightweight standalone form factor for three hundred bucks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Some people seem really mad at the idea that VR might be affordable and good now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Lmao if you think the deck will power a headset at anything nearing a playable framerate. Have fun puking!

You don't need an amazingly powerful GPU for VR, I'm running on a GTX 1060 and it handles the video output just fine, plus asynchronous space warp on Oculus patches over any frame drops, so I would honestly expect the Deck to be able to run VR. USB-C will power a number of current headsets, but lord knows what that will drop the battery life to. The Quest 2 will be the best bet there, as it can use its own battery for power and also connect wirelessly.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 19, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh no!

Anyway,

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Steam Link is built into my TV and the software that ran the Steam controller also works with much better controllers like the DS4. The OS that powered Steam Boxes has been further developed and resulted in the Deck. SteamVR is also still in active development, no surprise there though.

Valve got what they wanted out of those pieces of hardware, a showcase for cool new Steam features, and once they ran their course and were available for other hardware, they stopped making the physical product while still developing the software. None of them are failures in terms of what Valve actually wanted out of them, which was to further develop their software platform.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Steam Deck: minimum spec includes 500 sq ft of real estate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm curious as to whether we'll get the Proton interface on Windows, or if we'd be stuck with Big Picture. Which is useable, but pretty clunky by this point.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

repiv posted:

Valve said Big Picture is being replaced by the Deck interface, eventually

Oh thank god.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The buttons on the Steam Controller are either too clicky or too spongy, and it desperately needed a revised model, but that's what we're getting with the Deck anyway. It's still a good enough controller for me to use on a daily basis, even for things like Golf It where swinging the controller to hit the ball is frankly easier to judge power than with the mouse.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows 11 will be long out by the time the Deck is released, where the interface is significantly faster and more responsive for touch input than on 10, so it may actually run pretty well on the Deck, better than 10 for sure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anything you might want to run in addition to Steam - Discord, TeamSpeak, OBS, various emulators - also have Linux versions, so I can't see any particularly good reason to install Windows.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WTFBEES posted:

Game Pass.

Touché.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been running 11 since the first insider build dropped and I haven't had to wait more than a few minutes for updates to install and the machine to get back to login.

I might buy a cheap Windows key just to test it out, worst case scenario I can factory reset the thing. Although I'll probably wait for someone else to benchmark it first.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How does a Switch emulator run on it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Valve, I am begging you.

Give us Steam Controller 2.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, the indented touch pad was absolutely loving horrible for serious use like 2D platformers and action games. I quite like the Deck's layout though, I'd be perfectly happy to keep that and just transplant it to a controller instead of swapping out parts (but keep that too, for replacing busted components).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're right, as long as the OS is on an SSD then most games still run absolutely fine off a hard drive. Some longer load times but performance is just fine. I installed a bunch of games from Game Pass on my spare hard drive because of how much space they were going to take, including the Halo collection, and they all loaded and ran perfectly fine. Just put your older or indie titles on there, you really won't notice the difference with them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't need the Windows UI to run particularly well, as long as I can get into Steam and Xbox then I'm good. I'm probably going to try Windows out of curiosity if nothing else, plus Game Pass would be very nice to have.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In ten years when every game assumes it'll have access to Direct Storage, maybe SD cards won't be a good choice. Today, when games are still functionally accessing data the same way they did with hard drives, when the generation of consoles just gone used literal platter drives, when no game has an actual requirement for an SSD at all, an SD card will work just fine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are they likely to accept Steam credit to pay for this? I usually get some vouchers around Xmas, plus you can get discounted codes from some sites. I'm not sure if it would be different for hardware rather than software though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is why people are still holding onto their Steam controllers for dear life, they aren't perfect but the functionality they provide is incredible. And it's not just touch and gyro, you can do really granular stuff as well. I have sprint in GTA set to double tap and hold on the A button, which triggers autofire instead of having to mash the button, and I have one of the back bumpers set to taunt on hold (L3 + R3) and the other set to run on hold and roll on single tap, so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick while shooting; I could also add something to double tap if I wanted. If you have a game that uses hotbars then you can set an input that constrains the mouse to just that region of the screen for ease of use, or you can even create your own pop-up menu of any size and shape with any command you want.

If you have a PS4 or PS5 controller lying around then you can try it for yourself; they have both gyro and touchpad, technically two as the touch bar is registered as two squares rather than one long bar. Other controllers work too, but the PlayStation ones have the most functionality. And of course, all of this will be possible on the Deck as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Depends on the game I guess. Classic Mario, Sonic, Zelda and Megaman are still great, plenty of others not so much.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you have a smart TV then you can probably download Steam Link and play direct from there as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I bought the 64GB but my replacement 512GB SSD came today, so I'll be cracking it open later and then I can actually start messing around with settings and emulators properly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Set the right trackpad to mouse (trackball mode, medium friction) so you can flick and tap for quick turns and stops, with gyro enabled when touching the trackpad so you can use the two in tandem. I've played every single FPS I've ever touched since the Steam controller came out that way, including TF2 and Overwatch and doing just as well as I ever did with a mouse. It might be a bit more awkward when the screen is moving as well, but you should only be using the gyro for fine adjustments so you're only nudging the Deck around rather than making any big movements.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pick a game you actually want to play and do it there. You probably already have some installed!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is what I use for basically every shooter:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Set the right trackpad to mouse (trackball mode, medium friction) so you can flick and tap for quick turns and stops, with gyro enabled when touching the trackpad so you can use the two in tandem.

It really is all in the trackpad, I don't use the right stick at all. Flick and tap for large, quick movements to orient yourself, and when you're facing in broadly the right direction you use thumb movements across the trackpad for a larger aiming sweep and gyro for fine tuning. You learn to combine these in smooth, natural movements in no time, I feel totally kneecapped without them.

E: you'll want to experiment with the sensitivity too, so it all feels responsive according to your personal preference.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 13, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Any DS/3DS game where you don't need to see exactly what you're tapping on works great if you bind a touchpad to a screen region.

Also lightgun games! I just beat Time Crisis and mouse region worked great for it, I might play some Point Blank now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Big Jesus posted:

I almost exclusively stream to my deck cause
1) graphics
2) 3x battery life
3) the fan doesn’t even turn on

This is definitely one reason I got one; I've tried streaming using a tablet and controller while people are using the TV, but it's completely unwieldy, so having a dedicated unit is a game changer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's something about desktop gaming that feels like more of a commitment than handheld, I guess because you can literally put the physical device aside afterwards. In any case, I'm definitely finding it easier to pick up things I wasn't bothered enough to before, because it's so easy to disconnect when I'm done.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:negative: Why didn't I hold off on the Deck for just a couple of weeks.

Ah well, it was worth the price anyway, and I got a decent price on an SSD upgrade.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it easy enough to install GTA V from outside the Steam store, or am I in for a world of pain?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I managed to bag a brand new 512GB WD SSD for £55, and at that price I'd have been insane not to just upgrade myself, but I did have to wait a couple of weeks as it was on back order.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are there any good replacements for the four rear buttons? They really need a bit of a lip, I have short fingers so they're quite awkward for me to press.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Single player, no. It was basically left as-is after Online exploded into the most profitable thing in existence. Online has changed massively, for better and worse - there's an absolute mountain of stuff to do depending on taste and a ton of custom multiplayer game modes and maps, although some of the classic ones that depended on exploits (like building stunt tracks under the map) no longer work after patching. There's also still a certain amount of hackers roaming around, not enough to make the game unplayable but it tends to flare up between patches.

Online is fantastic with a posse of friends to play with, but if I was solo then I probably wouldn't bother. Single player is exactly as you remember it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is literally the point of the trackpads and gyro, you don't need a dedicated mouse and you can remap some of the controls to the rear buttons instead of the face buttons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is xemu the Xbox emulator of choice? I tried Xenia on my PC a while back and it just kept crashing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Xenia is a 360 emulator

Xemu is an OG Xbox emulator

Ah, gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I replaced the drive myself to save money, but I haven't bothered with Decky or any other tools, it runs great out of the box.