Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you have played literally any handheld console you shouldn’t be shocked.

Yeah I remember the PSP having terrible battery life back in the day and my switch (which is the updated battery efficient model) only gets about 2.5 hours on battery.

2 hours is fine imho. I mean how long are gaming laptops running games on battery these days? Last time I used one you were lucky to get 2 hours playing payday 2 or something not even that new/AAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

The loss they make now can turn into crazy profits later because Steam = $$$$$ so every dollar they can spend to even get someone LOOKING in that direction is good for them because they are where you buy games on PC. They aren't even a little threatened by Epic based on how they handle themselves, they are by Microsoft (or were) and the Deck is probably just someone going "hey PC people are buying the Switch why don't we sell them something else instead of a Nintendo?"
The reason Valve can do this very classic investment strategy is because they are privately held. Long ago this is what companies did all the time, invest in the long term. Now however everyone is desperate for short term gains because of the way stock and CEO and shareholder poo poo works so nobody invests for the long term anymore. Valve doesn't have to justify it's actions to anyone but themselves. It's why Half-Life Alyx absolutely lost a gently caress ton of money on paper but Valve doesn't give a poo poo because they wanted to make it, maybe sell some Indexes or just push VR forward in the direction they think it should. Like they've done with shooters and digital store fronts already.

I didn't know that Steam was privately held still.

I never looked into it but I just assumed that they had an IPO or something once I started seeing shovel-ware and crazy skins on the platform. Very glad to hear it's still a private company.

Anyways yeah I never had plans to buy any of the current crop of consoles. I still have a switch but I rarely use it (I just buy Nintendo consoles for Zelda at this point lol).

If the Steam Deck is good, when I start traveling again for work all the time I'll definitely consider getting one over a gaming laptop.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

Can you imagine Microsoft making something like the Steam Deck?

The Game Gear but with the TV tuner built right in!!!!

TBH Microsoft can be pretty unpredictable.

The company is huge and I get the sense that many of their departments have no idea what they're doing.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I placed a preorder about two weeks ago for the eMMc version and I just found out that only preorders dating back to July are going to have an opportunity to receive a launch day Gabe Gear.

Has valve given an estimate for when non-preorder 'normo' (plebs) will be able to purchase the Gabe Gear?

Also would the slower storage really matter all that much? I run most of my PC games off of an Ancient 1tb HDD drive and I've never had an issue. I also have a 1tb high speed microSD card laying around that I plan to just slap in the thing day one.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

all early tests so far point to it not being a massive deal.

I'm happy to hear that. I figured it wouldn't matter all that much. I've never had an issue running games on my PC from ancient slow drives in the past. Also I don't play any AAA games except for destiny which tbh I haven't heard anything about yet...

Do you guys think this is gonna be like the PSP all over again where the thing just gets broken open and hacked to pieces almost day 1?

I dug up my old launch PSP 1000 a few weeks ago because a buddy gave me Hackers on UMD for Christmas as a Gag gift - I still had a ton of emulators and cool programs on it like an IR blaster TV remote thing.

Really excited to see what people come up with...

loving Moron posted:

I'm going to buy this just for Project Zomboid because I am a god drat moron.

To be fair they did just add multiplayer...

I bought it too :negative:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You can install any OS you want onto it, it doesn't need to be broken open or hacked! You could boot windows from an SD card and run whatever.

Dang can't believe I missed that...

Wow this is gonna be good.

Can't wait for someone to IBM OS/2 Warp running on it lol

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I got "after Q2 2022" which is not surprising at all considering I placed my reservation 2 weeks ago.

I'm going to buy one either way but at this point is it even worth having the reservation? Or is this going to be a PS5 kind of situation where I'm better off just keeping my ticket now so I have a chance at getting one without having to resort to StockX prices?

Also I have plenty of time now to sell my Nintendo Switch that I never use...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Barreft posted:

It's only 5 bucks, might as well keep the reserve

homeless snail posted:

There's only the one place to buy them, its not like the PS5 where you might be able to snipe a Best Buy restock or something. If you want one you might as well stay in line even if, they may not be calling your number this year.

oh right - has steam ever used a reseller for their "steam" branded products?

Yeah screw it I'll keep the :10bux: on the preorder.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MarcusSA posted:

I’m pretty sure I got the steam link from bestbuy but that’s not normal for them.

Interesting - I guess if it gets popular enough they'll probably sell it through channels/resellers. I remember they did that with the steam controller (or at least I remember seeing it at Gamestop at least).

Does anyone know if the steamdeck can run escape from Tarkov?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
My cousin had a gamegear back in the day. I remember him playing it for a few days after he got it, occasionally whipping it out when we were at our grandparents, and then again when he got the TV tuner thing a year after.

Don't think he played it a whole lot after that. I remember batteries being really expensive back in the day but it could have been a matter of perception as I was just a kid... Or at least that's what I thought.

Just out of curiosity I did the most ham fisted google search ever and found a new york times article from 1990.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/20/style/consumer-s-world-coping-with-a-blizzard-of-batteries.html

"Alkaline: These cost about $2 to $3 a pair for C or D flashlight cells, and about half that for the AA and smaller AAA penlight batteries. They last four or five times as long on the shelf and give more power than zinc-carbon batteries. Their higher power makes them best for gadgets with high power drain like large portable music systems, portable computers, big toys and radios that are used a lot."

So that would be about 50-75 cents (or roughly $1-$1.50 in today's money adjusted via CPI %) per AA battery. If a gamegear took 6 then it would have cost roughly $6-$9 (in today's dollars) to fill the thing with new batteries, to get only 2 hours of play time out of the thing...

No wonder most of these things went unplayed. I imagine most kids just played with it a few times, ran out of batteries and just went back to playing their genesis.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just checked my wishlist and it looks like I got bumped from Q2 to Q3. That’s really frustrating since I busted my rear end to get that order in like 10 minutes after they went live. Oh well, maybe I’ll get a newer hardware revision (or some shittier version after they put in an order for more-available parts).

I also got bumped to Q3 (I'm in North American - US)

I have made up my mind though - I'm getting the deck no matter what.

Don't understand why everyone seems so disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Disappointed in what? Having to wait at least 3 months longer than expected? That should be easy to understand.

Disappointed in the hardware...