Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hitting the deck in over a year from now. Awooouuu. Really excited though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I checked steamdeck and my 512 is now moved to Q1 from Q2. I still don't expect to see it for a year but did anyone else's preorder get moved up?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bone Crimes posted:

Looks like mine got moved *back*. Before, I was getting a blank date, which I assumed (and I think others too) was that I was in the first tranche (Q4 2021). Now it is saying Q1 2022 which is disappointing. My order was 'issued' at 10:09. Anyone else seeing the same? should display at https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

It took me an hour and got me Q2 until I just looked now, dunno.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I got mine at seven minutes after, this is the first delivery estimate I'd had. it was just blank before

e: jk, it says issued at 1:04pm

Lucky fucker! (yes I'm impatient even though I was moved to Q1)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I perused through the Proton compatibility list the other day and it definitely reminds me of emulator compatibility, with all the unreliability that entails. Games that work great on some people's PCs but not others, users giving the thumbs up for "perfect" compatibility because their $2000 PC runs a game fine at 60 FPS (even though they'd get 100+ in Windows), lots of little random issues popping up that need game-specific workarounds for everything (on top of the existing pc game jank people already deal with). I mean, it IS cool that it's possible at all and better than Wine in a lot of cases, but unless Valve's secret sauce is going to radically change how Proton works in some way I wouldn't want to rely on it, especially on an underpowered handheld. I would not expect any demanding 3D game running through Proton to run well at all on the steam deck.

Then just install Windows on it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Floob posted:

I'm not sure it's "verified" But Valve mentioned it, and it's using standard hardware if I have read the right reports. If it truly is freely unlocked, I will probably give it a go, and then go back to Linux if I don't like it. Maybe even set it up in dual boot.

They've said many times you can install Windows on it. Now how much of that is some Elon bullshit who knows, it could be all be smoke up the rear end.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/15/22578879/valve-steam-deck-handheld-pc-windows-support

https://www.windowscentral.com/can-you-install-windows-steam-deck

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-install-windows-on-a-steam-deck-and-possibly-other-game-storefronts-too/

but who fuckin knows

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

I have those grips too and they do make the switch feel huge. And crappy since it doesn’t have rumble :(

As far as installing windows goes, I’m sure it’ll work okay but lol at your battery life. I’m sure one of the benefits of using the OS it comes with is it’s actually optimized for it!

I've used the Horis but I went and tried: https://www.amazon.com/binbok-Controller-Wireless-Replacement-Adjustable/dp/B08ZH4XXNY

And I couldn't be happier, this is the 2021 version that fixes the dpad. It's not incredible or anything but has replaced my Hori and Satisfye

E: oops my bad it's the Steam Deck thread, I got a 512 for Q1

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KingKapalone posted:

Is anyone still getting this thing in December? Under Cancel Reservation I had no date for awhile but I just checked and it's now at Q1. I ordered 4 minutes after pre-orders open.

I was a 512 moved from Q2 to Q1, who knows

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Everything new I read about this makes it sound better and better. I'm so used to nothing ever being good so this is a mindfuck.

Anyway Q1 512gb hell yeah can't wait

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

OTOH Dragons Dogma looks an runs so good.

I hate that game so much

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the suspend / resume feature is huge for mobile gaming. Like on my devices now it is kinda a pain in the rear end to have to quit the game when I just want to put the device down for a little while.

I accidentally hit the power button on my aya Neo while dragons dogma was running and I was pretty surprised the game didn’t freak out and crash when I came back.

I legit can't play some of the Yakuzas cause it takes over an hour to hit a save point

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

I, too, love to wait for my handheld to update for over an hour when I want to play a game real quick.

well its not just a handheld. The dock makes a full mini pc. There's many reasons to install windows, though I agree if you're just handheld alone not much.

e: have they mentioned the price or specs of the dock yet? I'm very much expecting something expensive as hell

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I know docks can be cheap, I'm just going by how Nintendo's dock is $100 and Steam is going to have their own. I expect it to be $50 at least.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

I think I'm the only person stupid enough to be excited to use the Steam Deck as an oversized controller when I'm at home playing poo poo on my Desktop. It's going to be like the Wii U but without any of the functionality of the touch screen. lol

Use it however you want. Why feel stupid when they specifically made that an option

E: I just want to play suikoden 2 on the go

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 25, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fallom posted:

Even Nintendo games chug and noticeably drop their resolutions lower than 720p in handheld mode

Age of Calamity...

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I am so drat excited.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pseudorandom name posted:

I wonder if Valve will finally implement Steam CEG DRM in the Linux client.

hey! some of us aren't computer touchers. can you explain in english?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

goddamn this is way more complicated than i thought when i asked

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dramicus posted:

I'm excited for this thing for all sorts of reasons, but one of the biggest is that whenever travel goes back to some sense of normality, I'll be able to cut my travel kit down to a steam deck, an ipad+keyboard and a phone. I used to lug a powerful laptop everywhere and it was always a pain having to get it out every time I passed through security. It will be sweet to have this on flights and then dock it hotel tvs or whatever.

we'll have a steam deck 2 before travel ever goes back to any sense of normal lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dramicus posted:

I've got 4 SSDs and 2 HDDs in my computer. There are a handful of games that see a significant improvement from being on an SSD as opposed to an HDD. The vast majority see only negligible improvements.

wtf is this

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

load times on nvme is so much faster than any other storage it's ridiculous, the idea that microSD would be remotely similar is crazy

yeah i don't get it

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat, back to Q2 for me. Oh well least I have a switch

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

I've been using my Steam Controller for presentations because it works embarassingly well as a remote mouse…

Hey if it works better than other things you can use that's not embarrassing, just smart.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The 'After Q2 2022' started the same day the reservations came out and hasn't changed. I don't think anyone has any clue how long it'll take to get one if they didn't get in early.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've always just rotated my thumb to hit ABXY, people actually lay an index finger on the buttons? Sounds painful

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sigher posted:

If only Steam had a system already in place for people to share the configs they've already made and have them sorted by highest rating/usage... hmm...

wtf is this FUD

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

homeless snail posted:

I'm sorry I don't speak whatever language this is.

I like Stux a lot, but he's been really hostile the last 2 months or so.

Well he's always hostile and that's why I like him but lately he's just been mean.

Incoming "gonna cry?" post

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lmao just gonna buy a Steam Deck, who the gently caress knows what the button layout is...

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 2, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

I own zero consoles and do not use a controller on my PC and I recite from memory that the layouts are:

Playstation:
Triangle
Square Circle
X

Xbox:
Y
X B
A

Nintendo:
Total Garbage Layout
X
Y A
B

The xbox layout is also what I expect when I pick up an unfamiliar controller as a western PC gamer because those are the most ubiquitous controllers (being used widely on both pc and xbox) and because alphabetical progression goes from left to right on it like the majority of the world's languages, so the steam deck layout looks... exactly like I would have expected it to.

If I've learned anything from crypto and NFTs, people are unfathomably dumb. Just stupid as poo poo every one of us.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I think you don't understand just how little hardware is packed into this thing. It has 8 graphics CUs, running on 14w (shared with the CPU). The lowest end RDNA 2 card AMD has released so far has 28 CUs, and a 130w power budget alone. The steam deck (best I can tell from some google) will hit 60fps at 720p medium in Doom Eternal, a 970 will hold 60+ at 1080p high. There's a reason it has a 720p screen, thats all its capable of pushing, and even then they're targeting 30fps for more demanding current gen games. That said, it should be a fine experience on its screen and for 2d games it doesn't really matter at all.

This is a handheld PC that you can get for $399. No one thinks they are getting a powerful $2k PC in this thing.

Well unless they didn't bother to read about it on the very same page they reserve......

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Obviously nobody thinks it will be comparable to a top-end PC (i hope), but a lot of people may not be aware of what the specs mean. You can see "8 Compute Units" and "1.1 - 1.6 GHz GPU Clock" on the spec sheet and come away having no idea what that means in practice unless you're an uber tech nerd like some of us. People have been overestimating the hardware pretty consistently throughout this thread (such as thinking it'll run Yuzu or RPCS3 consistently smooth, or it'll run at 800p as well as a GTX 970 does at 1080p, neither of which will be true)

No one gives a poo poo about comp units, they just want to play games handheld like with the Switch (God's Console)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stux posted:

theyre directly responding to someone overestimating it lol

Yeah who's a dumbass

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Stux posted:

can we change the thread title to "its a normal computer"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That's a big boi, but since I use the Switch with the hori split pad I'm probably going to be used to it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

I guess the Switch is versatile too, since you can swap the stock controllers with better ones or buy a better version of the switch that isn't as versatile.

I use the Hori Pad so it's pretty much the size of the Deck, so whatever I'm good

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vic posted:

It's a different machine. The switch gimmick is nice but people who take gaming seriously on the go or trapped in parental duties appreciate the universal gamepad Steam just made real.

lol

If you consider yourself trapped from having a kid, just don't have one.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vic posted:

You literally highlighted the joke and said lol.

I thought you were being serious. Can't tell anymore in this timeline.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KakerMix posted:

It is a PC, straight up. It isn't a console, it isn't a switch it isn't a closed system. It's a wide open bit of hardware, with a completely optional OS based on Linux it comes with. Output to a 4k monitor it doesn't give a poo poo.

Yeah this. Just don't think you'll be able to play at that resolution but if you're using it as a PC for a bit go hog wild.

I mean you could play at that res for some things, otherwise enjoy like 5 fps on new games. But you're not going to get a blurry monitor display you'll get the native resolution. Again it's a PC like everyone keeps saying.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Here we go finally. I can't play the Switch without the Hori Pad so this is great for me.

https://twitter.com/NevereverES/status/1489730693378752516?s=20&t=ZgFVtkTpco0DNCsCAFUPzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

I'm concerned about how the experience of PC games on a handheld will be. Sure, a lot of developers might tweak the UI scaling.

But games will still have fundamentals that were never intended for a small screen.

Handheld PCs have been around for at least a decade op