Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want to apologize up front for asking the most basic of basic bitch questions, but the op is long and I’m still on the fence here.

I’m considering selling my gaming laptop, which I don’t use much, and using the money to buy the 64gb steam deck (the laptop probably isn’t worth what the larger storage models cost), which I think I’d use more.

Can the 64gb have its storage upgraded?

Also, I know the deck isn’t that old, but are there any rumors of a new model coming that I should wait for, or should I dive in on the current one if I decide I’m going to?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you for the answers.

Another thing I thought of, can the deck use the epic store, GOG and things like that? I have a big steam library but I also have a lot of stuff in epic and Gog I’d like to play too.

Again, apologies for what I’m sure are basic questions

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 3, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Don't mean this sarcastically or dismissively, but if the question is about something computers can do then the answer to if the deck can do it is most likely 'Yes", unless its something that requires crazy high specs. It will play, just about anything.

Ok, I wasn’t sure if valve had it locked down to only run software from steam or something like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to have a bromance with a mech, Titanfall 2 is for you.

Game is real good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How long does it take to ship a steam deck usually?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I think I’m gonna put my gaming laptop on eBay and use the money to get a Gabe Gear.

This threads enthusiasm for it is infectious. It’s like early days Nintendo Switch all over again except the deck actually has more than one game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vita means a lifetime of forgetting what year it is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

lol @ this advice

*taps mic* Hi, I’m noted science understander Rezende

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

new zealanders buying the Stim Dick

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a youtube channel for the Steam Deck thats something like Bob Wulff or NintendoLife is for the Switch?

I am seeing a ton of shakycam videos of the reflection of the phone in the deck screen with like 19 views.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

Lesson learned. Game runs great on the deck, btw. How’s black Mesa run on the deck? Thinking about buying it eventually.

Ooh, same question here, thats one thats been on my backlog for a while

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just did some back of the napkin math on the napkin in my head and, per the thread title, I think going on the eshop and re-buying all the games that I want to play and also already own on steam/epic/gog, so that I can play them on the switch, would actually pay for a deck.

Thats crazy, and speaks to the wild amount of discount and free software on the Steam/PC side, drat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You'd be stupid not to buy one! Its just leaving money on the table!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://discord.gg/QpwQVHf7

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

No steam cloud it uses the rockstar bullshit for cloud saves. It’s super annoying.

I just last night started a new game on my pc with the intention of picking it up on the deck when it arrives, will that not work?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It looks like its at least somewhat of a go? (please press mute before the video starts, holy poo poo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temntOfITRQ

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 15, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm going to get a 64GB as well and I'm already accepting that I'm taking an MKE->CHI road trip to go to Microcenter and get the big one eventually

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On that point, is there a way to back up your steam deck SSD, so you could just reimage it onto another SSD and not have to redo all the configs and stuff that you had?

Does something like the free version of Macrium work?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have to keep reminding myself that the deck is literally a pc. If you can do it on a pc, the deck will do it too

It’s hard to get my brain around that after a lifetime of consoles that are anything but normal PC’s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you set the proton version per-game? I see a lot of references to that and I can’t imagine that you have to keep a spreadsheet of what to set your deck to each time you start a new game

Non-deck owner question here, I’m sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elementary, my dear Proton

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welp, did it, ordered a 64GB.

Now the waiting begins

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I personally feel like switch and PC are the one true way.

That might just be because I’m not really interested in any PlayStation exclusives.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

On a separate note, sometimes I like to chill with a nice game of poker. Does anyone have any recommendations for good poker games on Steam? Preferably none of the Poker Night at the Inventory games. Just something that has that chill vibe, kind of like how Uno felt way back on XBLA, though this doesn't have to have multiplayer.

I’d like to know this too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What was wrong with it if you don’t mind me asking? RDR2 is the first game I plan to play

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think both poker night games are delisted?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since every steam deck is the same hardware is valve shipping pre compiled shaders with games to avoid hitching or is that on the devs to handle? Or is it not being done at all?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

I get less hitching in modern Unreal engine games on my Steam Deck than on my gaming PC.

Yeah this is like the single biggest problem with unreal and can make a beefy gaming pc run like poo poo, which is why I asked.

Good to know it should be decently ok on the deck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have been :f5:-ing the steam purchase history page all day. My deck has been packaged but not shipped.

Gabe, don’t do this to me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The discord is currently absorbing all of my deck shipping angst

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

Ive only had problems when ive strayed to rando makers. The move ive always used is just to buy samsung earbuds from ebay 2nd hand. 20-30 dollars for a dedicated earbud for this thing.

Used earbuds? :chloe:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone really should standardize a wifi-ish signal for connecting things, like some gamepads and low latency headsets have, but bluetooth is so drat entrenched :effort:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buethenol J Tootheson

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In general I have no issues using bluetooth stuff, it tends to Just Work ™️, my issue with it is the drat latency. The iphone and airpods work around this by the iphone delaying whats on the screen for the same amount as the bluetooth lag, but outside of that use case, the lag is baaaaad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Papercut posted:

Yeah by far the best part of the game was just traversing the landscape and slowly building better infrastructure. The action was just an annoying interruption to that.

Someone please patch death stranding to be just the infrastructure building.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As always, the answer is https://store.steampowered.com/app/274190/Broforce/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“What’s up deckheads” is the most aggressive non-aggressive intro I’ve ever heard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s so nice to have a device that doesn’t need to be jailbroken or hacked to use it how I want

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m having issues getting RDR 2 running, it’s the epic games version of course.

I got heroic launcher, installed RDR2 from the epic store, got through the rockstar launcher bullshit, fixed the error 18 per the instructions on protondb and now I’m having the problem where the game runs at like 1fps.

There is a mention in protondb that says:

quote:

If you are getting 1FPS in game, modify the settings file in desktop mode. The file is /home/deck/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/Red Dead Redemption 2/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Rockstar Games/Red Dead Redemption 2/Settings/system.xml . Change the following lines to:

And then there is nothing after that about what to change the xml file to.

Anyone know? It’s the second post down on the RDR2 protondb page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, I missed that somehow I guess. Thank you!