Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

init
Jun 20, 2021

What do people think about the GPU on the steam deck?

2 tflops sounds pretty good for such a small screen. I'm running an RX5700XT on my desktop which has ~10 tflops of fp32 performance (for a 1440p/144Hz screen). 2 tflops looks like it'll be plenty for a 720p screen at 60Hz.

Battery life is probably going to suck, but that's not unexpected for these kinds of devices.

One of my coworkers just ordered one of these as a replacement for his laptop. He says its more powerful than his current (Linux) thinkpad since it has a Zen2/RDNA2 CPU/GPU combo while costing less than half the price of his laptop. Valve must be subsidizing these quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

init
Jun 20, 2021

Maybe the loss-leader pricing might make these good for other tasks.
I've seen Raspberry Pi compute "clusters" before, maybe someone will put 10 of these together to make a Steam Deck cluster.
Cant waiting to start folding@home on my portable gaming handheld!

init
Jun 20, 2021

repiv posted:

gonna break out the m.2 slot to full pci-e and plug in a 3090 for convenient portable gaming on the go

If it supports eGPUs, you might actually be able to do this relatively easily with USB-C.

Of course, you'd have to spend 3-4 times the price of a Steam Deck on the eGPU enclosure and the GPU itself, but maybe that's worth it to have raytracing on the go

init
Jun 20, 2021

Just a word of caution for people thinking of running Windows off an SD card: I’ve done it before on a different device (Surface Pro) and it was horribly slow. (Disclaimer that I’ve not tried it on a Steam Deck, which might be better)

Most SD cards have really poor IO performance, like 100 times worse than the built-in NVMe.

Linux is fine running off an SD card especially if you set some kernel flags to do heavier in-memory caching. But I couldn’t find a good way to make Windows tolerable on an SD card. I ended up uninstalling it a few days later.