Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The anti-cheat doesn't work on Proton, is my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Dramicus posted:

I am super loving surprised at the amount of stuff that just works out of the box on the deck.

I might start seriously consider switching to Linux on my desktop when Windows 10 goes EoL.

Inshallah by then it should be even better, too. I've been thinking the same thing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

sigher posted:

This is incredible and makes my poo poo look bushleague, because it was. This is incredible and I need it. What if the Deck logo was to the left, and it moves thus expanding towards the right?

Hell yeah gross, I want this

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Slimy Hog posted:

FWIW I ordered mine on Thursday and it shipped early this morning with a scheduled delivery date of Monday.
Yep same, I'm pretty excited it's moving so fast.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

My Fedex estimate switched to "pending" on Sunday with no more delivery estimate, which is a new one for me. I'm not worried about it disappearing like my UK friends, just real goddamn eager now that I finally pulled the trigger on buying one in the first place.

I bought Metal Gear Rising and Hades in anticipation and can't wait to play, although MGR is likely too big for the internet service on the farm. Housesitting for another week here, any suggestions for small downloads that are great Deck games?

I was already thinking Streets of Rogue and Slay the Spire. And Stardew! And Factory Town, and

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 10, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Pipski posted:

Also, are there any flight sims that work well on the deck? I mean lightweight or arcadey ones obviously, not full clickable cockpits and high fidelity flight models.

There's Tiny Combat Arena from the new Microprose, which is at least Gold-rated on protonDB for linux gaming, but there's surprisingly little Deck-specific info.

I'd be curious if anyone took a crack at it how it runs.

EDIT: Ace Combat 7 is Deck-verified! And seems to run REAL well.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 10, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Pipski posted:

I was considering TCA or Project Wingman, but also couldn't find much info. I'll look at AC7 though, that seems like it's worth a shot. Ta!

Project Wingman is an AWESOME game, and it apparently runs very well on the Deck, but the fonts are really small. The devs said earlier in the year that they kind of have to redo the whole UI but are working on it for Deck-verification, or if you've got good eyes it might still be worth giving it a shot.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Can Steam Controller profiles be transferred over to the Deck, or are they different enough to not apply?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Its compatible, yeah, its great for all the older games that people made SC maps for. The built in controller actually reports itself as a Steam Controller Neptune which makes me smile at least

Oh thank god I have so many controller profiles I put a lot of work into for stuff like Crusader Kings, Stellaris, etc that I am very glad I get to use without having to recreate all the elaborate labels and menuwork.

Absolutely love the steam controller, glad to see it pretty much unchanged on the Deck.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh god, my Pending delivery date finally changed to tomorrow. But now it's just sitting 45 minutes away :mad:

Cmon give me my new thing, I want the thing real bad!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Is it a safe assumption that if a 2D game slows down when the frame limiter is put on, that there's no chance it runs uncapped?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Big ups to the gyro. I think the gyro in the Steam Controller was a game changer.

I swear, with the steam controller, the gyro as a supplement to FPS aiming with the right pad is really cool. The fine adjustments you can make quickly by slightly moving the controller make it easy to be more accurate than twin stick alone with just a little practice. Honestly, I'm surprised how intuitive it was once I started using it. (for the SC you just wanted to set it so that the gyro only worked if you had a thumb resting on the right pad. I'm hoping I can do the same with the right stick on the SD.)

I used the gyro in mouse-games too, it was surprisingly easier to control the mouse cursor with controller gyro to the point where it was my main input when I played games like Stellaris or Cities Skylines on the TV in the living room with a steam controller, even though I still had mouse cursor movement on the right swipe pad.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 11, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

yessss

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Looks like it's just sold out. I've been wanting one of those since I saw it on the SD subreddit. Newegg's got 'em for $120 right now.

Meanwhile, my Deck finally comes today! You and me, tater, we're in this not-playing-games thing together.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 12, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Now you get to be a double-decker household

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sitting at the tavern bar with the SD in my lap, abusing their superior internet to do my first few downloads, and suddenly the smell wafts up and I immediately know "ah, this is what they mean."

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh my god I have a portable Snowrunner machine and it's wonderful

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Older games really are are new again.

Seriously, Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE plays perfectly and was a great way to spend an evening.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why play Revengeance when Vanquish is right there.

Nanomachines, son

edit: I am being told that Vanquish also has nanomachines

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Anyone taken a shot at Vita emulation with Emudeck now having an emulator? I'd love to get that Metal Gear Solid Collection working, since it has a great version of MGS3 on it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Daaaamn, good fortune. My wife took a spin with Luigi's Mansion, Hades, and Potionomics on mine and I tell you what an extra Deck would go over pretty well right now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'm sure this kind of post is as tired as possible at this point, but the Deck got me to also finally buy Vampire Survivors, and

Oh

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

My goon, anything you do to live a more active lifestyle so that you can Game for as many years as possible is never too convoluted.

Figuring out that where I rest my arms on my stationary bike is exactly the width that I hold them while holding the SD was an excellent realization.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Kin posted:

Has anyone played around with the deadzones for the sticks yet?

I've been playing xenoverse 2 and it feels like I have to tilt the stick quite a bit to trigger a response.

I checked the settings and they say 8000 or something but is it best to leave the deadzone at that number or is there a better level to set it at?

I have! For Euro Truck Simulator 2, the deadzone was too big to make tiny tiny adjustments to the stick to stay within the lines as I'm driving, so I slashed the deadzone to like 10% of the default. That combined with setting the input curve to "Wide" instead of linear was enough to give me a nice and easy adjustment of the steering wheel by just barely pressuring the stick, while still being able to steer hard when I mean to.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 25, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Shouldn't break anything, and you've pretty much figured out the use case - it's really common advice to drop it down for low-impact games to preserve battery.

For harder hitters, once I have all of my OTHER settings (like FPS limits) the way I want, I'll see how a game runs if I drop it down to 12 instead of 15. Usually, I don't see any difference.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Kin posted:

Aha, I never thought about the Internet connection. There might have been stuff downloading on my network while I was using it.

Is the connection at that point just trying to check if I've got another game running on another computer or something?

I can tell you I wound up with my Deck acting REAL similar to that yesterday after I was fuckin' with airplane mode to get around signing off on my other computer that I left MS flight sim running on. It was in airplane mode but still somehow knew/thought I had MSFS open on the other computer, so I rebooted it and it was fine in airplane mode after that. But when I woke it up for my next session and turned off airplane mode, the wifi got REAL fucky and game mode Steam in particular seemed to just poo poo the bed until I reconnected to wifi a few times and rebooted a few more. Real weird, but it went away.

Eeyo posted:

Alright problem of my own:

I've got two different virtual menus I've set up for KOTOR: one to select 1-6 for conversations, and one that selects the different menus (equipment/quest log/etc). I've set the 1-6 menu on the left trackpad and I want to use a shoulder button to turn on an action layer to swap the left trackpad to the equipment/quest/etc menu instead of the 1-6 menu.

However, it seems like it keeps forgetting that I set the left trackpad to the equipment/quest menu inside the action layer. I'll set it to use that, but then when I go back and look at the controller configuration it just goes back to the default 1-6 menu.

Anyone have a problem like this? Is my controller config file corrupted or something, or is it a bug?

I've experienced this back on the Steam Link/Controller - for whatever reason, occasionally changes I made to the controller profile I was using while playing the game would just get eaten as soon as I backed out of the controller interface. I modified in-use controls ALL THE TIME so I can't say why this happened a handful of times, but I'd usually have to back out of the game entirely to have changes to the controller menu stick, and sometimes reset Steam and the Link itself.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 3, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The UMA increase feels like it helps with emulation in particular for me, but it also causes a weird error in Red Dead Redemption 2 when there is water or rain/snow on screen and the FPS tanks and locks at 28fps. Ultimately, I set it back to 1gb. It doesn't increase the amount of video RAM that Steam can use, I believe it just increases the minimum RAM that is ever held by the video part.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Based on the reddit thread that ultimately led me to the fix it's not the only game it can happen to. It certainly helped Cyberpunk 2077 though, and it's easy enough to turn off and on.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Cowman posted:

Man ETS2 actually runs at Ultra settings at around 40-50fps if you run the Windows/Proton version. Native Linux version runs about the same FPS on defaukt settings. Really weird.

Absolutely my experience as well! It's wild how much better the Proton version runs.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I saw Jedi Fallen Order was on a deep sale but then saw it was incompatible with steam deck.

Which is dumb because it was used in one of the trailers/commercials for the Deck. It's a great ~20 hour cinematic experience.

I just got back from my first bout of holiday travel with the Deck, and it was the star of the trip. Hitman 3 runs shockingly well at medium-like settings, and still looks better than just about anything.

EDIT: Also it drives me crazy for some reason that Euro Truck Simulator 2 is Verified, but American Truck Simulator gets Playable. Let me petition on behalf of my beautiful favorite game children!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 26, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m 90% sure they have fixed it but I’d play it for a good 30 min or so to make sure it still doesn’t crash like it used to.

Besides that it does play great.

I haven't crashed in 10 hours or so, so I think they did.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Bumhead posted:

I understand why Vampire Survivors is great for "I need to kill time for a few minutes".. but only in theory. I'd love to know how long my average session time is with Vampire Survivors, but I bet it's well over an hour.

Yeah I've gone numb on the toilet before when a five minute break became full 30 minute sessions

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

jokes posted:

Load your web browser as a non-steam game, and never leave gaming mode like me!

I am dumb, and that's a great idea.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yeah, and it sucks, which is his point

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Annath posted:

Does the SD ship in a box that discloses what's inside?

I live in an... inexpensive... apartment complex, so if it's clear that it's Expensive Electronics I'll probably ship it to my mom's house.

The box was not subtle at all when I got mine under two months ago. It doesn't have a picture on it, but it's covered in tech/battery warnings.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

homeless snail posted:

I think you're best off just getting used to mousing, then everything is perfect on the deck. Anno 1800? Great on the deck.

Yep Cities Skylines on a Steam Controller was great

Doctor Zero posted:

Also the Deck is aaaallmost perfect but if you are getting near sighted like me (:corsair:) there’s just no sweet spot between holding it close enough to see well or at a distance that makes your neck and arms ache. I wish the screen were a little bit bigger TBCH.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Annath posted:

I pulled the trigger on the 512GB deck thanks to a holiday bonus from work.

I'm excited! I hope it gets here soon :3:

I am excited for you, because it rules

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there a way to make the trackpad work in games without having to hold the steam button?

That likely means the trackpad isn't bound to mouse in-game, so you'd have to go to the Steam overlay and then Controller Settings to edit your controller layout, then map the right trackpad (or left trackpad you psycho) to "Mouse" for that controller layout. I'm not sure if there's a way to blanket add a mapping to the "default" controls (maybe editing the templates, but a lot of games have their own default controls rather than using the template), so you'd pretty much have to do this per-game.

Steam button+trackpad is like a..."emergency override" way of doing it. Same as Steam+X brings up the keyboard.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 1, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Especially seeing what can be done after some optimization, that is very exciting to hear. Whatever they did to Red Dead Redemption 2 to make it run like it can needs to be printed on stone and buried for future generations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

woke kaczynski posted:

Dwarf Fortress on the deck so far:

yessssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I believe that's the biggest community controller job called Easy Dwarf Fortress. Which works great! But I did some replacements:

1. Changed the Left Trigger to Middle Mouse, instead of Right Mouse. This makes it possible to scroll around the map easier by grippin' and rippin'
2. Changed the B Button to Right-Click instead of Esc. Esc is already on the Start button, and right-click is a better "Back" button than Esc.