Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I took it as a given once I read it was running a Linux desktop underneath, but its dawning on me that having Discord is a big deal. Makes the Deck fantastic for multiplayer gaming in a way that the Switch couldn't ever compete with. I assume Valve aren't talking about it because they're competitors, maybe they should anyway because I know people on Switch have been begging for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They've at least planned to get it all working before launch, which is a timeline as opposed to "we're doing our best!".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

I wonder what the anti-cheat stuff will entail, it's tricky since the openness of Linux is at odds with restricting what the user is allowed to do

Maybe there will be a "trusted mode" where EAC/BE work as long as you're running a kernel/drivers/proton/etc signed by Valve, and if you tinker too much they lock you out of those games?

I presume Valve can do whatever they want, they're almost certainly already using their own repositories to deal with system updates, they can patch anything without it needing to go upstream and get merged.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Running locked down Proton containers for games that use anti-cheat is fine and expected. It's not like I'm going to want to choose the kernel and software components that don't have all the optimizations and compatibility fixes I want and for anyone who is buying the thing to just play games it won't matter at all. For the paranoid few who don't trust the changes they can sacrifice compatibility for perceived security if they wish.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shammypants posted:

Look, I don't know enough about this stuff to confidently say anything, but there were headline stories about how the Deck might not be able to play X, Y, Z because of issues with anti-cheat software and later it was headline news that they were collaborating to make sure it works with Proton day 1. I'm not sure if we should have been confident that it was guaranteed or what but the news cycle seems to indicate that it requires at least some considerable effort to get it working.

I'm speaking with the assumption that Valve can do what they say they can do, it's absolutely a possibility that they will fall short of that.

Veotax posted:

So how does Proton work? I've never used Linux so I've never looked into it. Would more or less any Windows app be able to run through it?

Proton is a lot of things mushed together.

At it's core it's a custom version of Wine inside a container (sort of like a Virtual Machine) that's designed to allow for the seamless launching of games from Steam. But it can work independent from Steam too, there's a Linux program called Lutris that makes it relatively easy to set up and use.

Wine Is Not an Emulator, but a re-implementation of "win32", the application platform most of the Windows applications and games you use run upon (there is also UWP apps which you get from the Microsoft Store, those are not compatible). While it may sound like it could have a performance impact, in practice there usually isn't (outside of graphics, more on that next paragraph) and occasionally performance can be better than running the same software on Windows. There have been some performance issues in the past but Valve has been actively working to fix them, including submitting new features to the Linux kernel to bridge gaps between it and the Windows kernel.

Wrapping Direct3D was a significant cause of overhead in the past, largely as it was wrapping to OpenGL, a high level graphics API. Now all of the wrappers used translate to Vulkan, minimizing overhead. Any game that runs OpenGL or Vulkan on Windows doesn't have to go through those translation layers. Poor drivers on Linux was also a problem, but that has also been solved, AMD drivers on Linux are now outright fantastic.

Valve are aiming for total compatibility with their own software library, but that isn't every Windows app and it remains to be seen how close they get.

e: Another thing to keep in mind that a lot of the applications you may use on Windows have native Linux versions. Discord, Spotify, Chrome, even Microsoft Edge.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 17, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I can't wait to play Cruelty Squad on the toilet, where it's supposed to be played.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Raffles posted:

I don't know if this is true for m.2 2230 drives, however some higher capacity 2280 drives (4/8TB) can be too thick to comfortably fit into laptop enclosures, causing stress on the drive and other internals.

Maybe some in this thread knows, but given 2230 drives are some much smaller than 2280 is it possible that a 1TB drive or higher will be materially thicker than a lower capacity drive and potentially struggle to fit?

I found a few single sided 1TB drives out there when I looked, seems most of what I could find got pulled out of enclosures and put on ebay.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it will be quite capable, but I would temper your expectations. It's still running at a reduced power state compared to laptop chips. They seem to be optimizing it for gaming by skimping slightly on the CPU side and going in a bit harder on the GPU side, which is good. I think it will run some demanding games at 720p, but you may have to accept turning down some settings and running at 30fps. That's still quite good for a handheld, mind you. I also expect it to not have particularly good longevity. You'll run into games that are just not playable on it by the end of 2022, I reckon. It'll still be solid for emulation, 2D games, and undemanding 3D games. I bet Valve releases new models at a relatively swift cadence if it sells well.

The GPU should be fine. It mostly depends on how scalable games continue to be in terms of CPU usage, specifically how they deal with having half the amount of cores they do on consoles (single thread performance is about the same). If Valve make enough of a dent in the market, developers and publishers may end up incentivised to make sure their games run on it, adding options to reduce NPC density and the like.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Valve is hoping other hardware manufacturers hop on board this trend, so with lots of different SteamOS handhelds on the market there won't be any one spec to optimize for. And it's also why I think Valve will continue putting out new models every couple years for as long as it's profitable for them. If this doesn't catch on, then they'll drop it as quickly as they've dropped everything else, though.

Though this scenario presents a problem. Valve is using its monopoly power as the platform holder to sell the cheapest model at a very low profit margin, or potentially even a loss. That makes it borderline impossible for other manufacturers to compete. Valve can make that money back on game sales, but the other manufacturers can't. They'd have to either sell at a higher price and be undercut by Valve or attempt to corral users into their own marketplaces. So I don't really understand how Valve expects a robust ecosystem of handhelds to arise in this situation.

It's going to be a while before we see 8 core CPUs running at 3.5Ghz in a gaming handheld. If more devices are coming the specs will likely be in the same ballpark as the Deck. Unless Intel pulls a rabbit out of their hat.

I agree that it doesn't make sense for other manufacturers to enter the market now, unless major game publishers like Epic or EA wanna join the hardware train.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It turned into this, a product that fixes just about all of steam machines problems.

SteamOS being open to use by third parties is more a side effect of relying heavily on open source software rather that it being a necessary part of the platforms and products success. Getting other hardware makers to use it would be a win, but it isn't something they have to count on to happen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doesn't everyone have phones for that? But yeah.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Escape Goat posted:

How many Steam games right off the bat are incompatible with that model because they require more space?

Very, very few. Some of the newer AAA titles?

I don't see the small storage being that big of a deal, nor is it quite comparable to devices where the storage is soldered in. Having to peel off heat/EM shielding is annoying but if the hardware is like any of Valve's other stuff, it won't be too hard to open and service.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

PC games are real big now

A sampling of 2020/2021 AAAs

Cyberpunk - 70GB
Horizon ZD - 67GB
AC Valhalla - 50GB
BLOPS Cold War - 82GB
Watch Dogs Legion - 45GB
Death Stranding - 55GB
Doom Eternal - 43GB
Hitman 3 - 60GB
Red Dead 2 - 100GB

Hell GTA5 is ancient but even that's 65GB

You should basically assume that even fitting a single modern AAA game on the 64GB probably isn't happening, unless you resort to running it from the SD card

I assume SteamOS is leaner than Windows but that's going to take a chunk out before you even start

All of those are also on last gen consoles and are designed to also run acceptably well off garbo laptop HDDs. Provided SD storage at least hits the same ballpark as that those games should still be playable. Once games start taking greater advantage of SSDs, that could be a problem.

MysteriousStranger posted:

It's not made for that though. It's made for a poo poo load of lighter games to bite into consoles and claim "PC master race" that's it.

It is, AAA gaming is a selling point in Valve's own marketing materials.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 19, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Switch is CPU constrained to the point where it isn't really capable of running AAA titles outside of extremely optimized titles like the Doom games or by going super potato mode like Witcher 3. It requires enormous effort and investment by publishers and devs too.

At 720p, running at lower textures isn't really a pared down experience as the difference would be imperceptible.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 19, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Realistically how many games do you really need at one time on a device that gets 2 hours of battery life?

I have choice anxiety on my desktop and I want it in my hands too tyvm

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LordAdakos posted:

I don't know about this. On one hand, it looks super loving cool. On the other, steam has kind of a shoddy track record with hardware.

Where does this narrative come from? Steam Boxes were unambiguously a failure but Link (the hardware) was a success, up until the point where it became obsolete as smart TVs could just run it as an app. Not that they dropped support, the last Steam Link hardware update was a few months ago. Steam Controller spawned Steam Input and aspects of it's design were incorporated into the Deck, as a result its still actively supported by valve despite being out of production. Vive and Index are niche, but they also get continued software support.

E: Steam Boxes weren't Valve hardware either, it was a thing third parties could participate in if they wanted (they didn't). That failed initiative did result in them putting a ton of effort into whipping Linux and Wine into shape which has resulted in this product.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 19, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VR is cool, but if people want to argue about its merits or not then there is probably better thread for that (mine!).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

emulating consoles requires a lot of power beyond what the actual strength of the original hardware is. I don't know if Yuzu is particularly efficient but I'm not really counting on that in the slightest

The Switch's CPUs are garbage, the only thing that could be considered powerful (relatively) in the Switch is its graphics and that often doesn't require significantly more powerful hardware to emulate since you can do so at an API level.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I perused through the Proton compatibility list the other day and it definitely reminds me of emulator compatibility, with all the unreliability that entails. Games that work great on some people's PCs but not others, users giving the thumbs up for "perfect" compatibility because their $2000 PC runs a game fine at 60 FPS (even though they'd get 100+ in Windows), lots of little random issues popping up that need game-specific workarounds for everything (on top of the existing pc game jank people already deal with). I mean, it IS cool that it's possible at all and better than Wine in a lot of cases, but unless Valve's secret sauce is going to radically change how Proton works in some way I wouldn't want to rely on it, especially on an underpowered handheld. I would not expect any demanding 3D game running through Proton to run well at all on the steam deck.

Checking ProtonDB is a good way to see what games will definitely work, but keep in mind that listings there come from users with an infinite combination of different hardware and software setups while Valve only have to get things working on one hardware SKU and have total control over the software stack. For example if a game relies on some weird quirk or feature in the which doesn't have a Linux equivalent, they could patch it in without waiting for their changes to make it upstream to the Linux kernel or whatever.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 21, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ray traced reflections at something like half resolution may be doable at 720p too? Might end up a little noisy and soft but the low resolution could hide that a bit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

I've been perusing ProtonDB a bunch and I just can't see casual users getting along with this level of jank, unless Valve pulls off a miracle with the private branch they're sitting on.

I think one thing that's been overlooked is how games run at launch, when there's the biggest rush of players. Scroll all the way to the oldest reports and see how messy things can get.

Doom Eternal is a Platinum rated game now but if you were hype to play it on release day? welp unlucky lol, wait an indeterminate amount of time to play the game you paid for

There's been compatibility lists being compiled for handheld gaming PCs for a while now. A fair chunk of Windows games crash if you put the PC to sleep, older games require graphics wrappers in order to display properly etc. Installing Windows isn't going to be a be-all end-all solution.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RDR2 on Windows already has a Vulkan renderer, a native Linux port isn't likely to be any better. It would be useful for Windows versions of games to merge in Vulkan renderers made for Stadia!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/feralgames/status/1420036822466502667

I suppose this was inevitable, Proton works well enough that one of the bigger developers of native Linux versions can't justify the effort anymore

Proton is a net positive for Linux gaming but it's a shame for first-class Linux support to take a step backwards

They should move to D3D>Vulkan renderer backend ports instead, there's enough performance to be gained there that it'd be worth it for a lot of the bigger titles.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Do you think total compatibility with Steam's entire library (which is what Valve say they're shooting for) is actually possible? I've spoken to developers associated with Wine who are skeptical of the achievability of that goal.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, thank you! You're doing awesome work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

well its not just a handheld. The dock makes a full mini pc. There's many reasons to install windows, though I agree if you're just handheld alone not much.

e: have they mentioned the price or specs of the dock yet? I'm very much expecting something expensive as hell

The dock will just be a stand with a standard USB-C breakout box inside. I have a generic dongle that I use with my phone on my desk with HDMI, 3 USB-A ports and charging pass-through that will likely work just fine, cost 20 bucks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

First memories of Mario 64 was using Ultra HLE through a jank rear end Glide wrapper bring it on.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's mostly the same as what's in the consoles. Zen 2 and RDNA2.

Switch emulation is too much to expect out of the Deck unless those emulators make massive gains in CPU emulation efficiency at some point. Cemu seems doable though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is that the raw speed or access times, though?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You go to forums for people talking about trivial bullshit that doesn't matter, not "news".

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks but maybe my understanding was incorrect in that this was only for games that were on steam. So like my non steam copy of FFXIV wouldn’t be able to use this. Would be pretty awesome if I was incorrect though.

You can add external games to your steam library and they'll use proton, but compatibility can be spottier than using something like Lutris, which has game specific profiles and tweaks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stealing Mario is a PC tradition.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're already doing something similar with other WMF titles, but I would expect it requires direct permission from the publisher.

In the mean time there's ProtonGE, which is an annoying extra step to install but once you do you can set the game to use it in Steam's interface and it'll work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Are re-encodes still required?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 22, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Presumably that pirate smartphone port cheats performance a bit since most phones run the same CPU architecture as switch, ARM>x86 emulation is a lot of overhead and Deck's CPUs aren't clocked particularly high.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The United States posted:

More Steam Deck Tech Info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLlGe8-qYY

The Steam Deck wouldn't exist without the Switch

Valve has had GPD Wins at their offices since their launch, keeping in mind that it's form factor was more 3DS than Switch. The success of Switch may have helped rally the troops but there was a lot more going on that helped make Deck happen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Senator Drinksalot posted:

That top one looks horrendous to play on

It's not great. The bigger issue is the wobbly triggers, some of the worst I've ever used. But it was the first of it's kind, portable Fallout New Vegas was a hell of a novelty.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this seems like an extremely poor solution, in terms of muscle memory

The solution that doesn't require weirdly contorting your hands and fingers is the better one. imo

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Remapping to the rear gives simultaneous access to the all face button functions, the stick and left bumper and trigger. Claw grip sucks, it requires holding the controller in a way it wasn't meant to be held, which is made worse when the controller is actually a portable game system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It feels like there are a shocking amount of people buying this product they don’t really know anything about. I’m not talking about waiting for reviews, I mean what it actually looks like and has been advertised to do.

There hasn't really been anything else like it. Closest is GPD Win and it's followups and derivatives, but those used off the shelf hardware, software and are iffy quality at best. SteamOS is exciting, but I foresee a rough launch.

Thinking Switch and PS3 emulation are going to run well is extremely optimistic. For new AAA titles at medium-low at 30fps, should be great.