Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I am excited for the Steam Deck from Valve!!! I bought it!!!

e: I bought a chance to buy it I mean!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I wonder where Steam thinks it's going to make up the loss in the pricing. They don't have a subscription service like GamePass or even PSN or Xbox Live to get users to make up the difference in the long run. Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.

Maybe they just believe they can sell it for a profit later on or that iterative models will be profitable and they want to push handheld computers into the mainstream so they can collect later?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Blade Runner posted:

I mean, thinking about it, the most sensible (albeit janky) storage option to me is probably just sticking one of these:

onto the back of the Deck with some command strips. It seems kinda dumb, but there's more than enough space for smaller cases and I doubt it'd add much weight.

Or you can just, like, only carry 512 gigs of storage with you when you go out, I guess.

flashing back to the guy who glued game cases to the back of his 3ds and then instantly regretted it, ripped them off, marring his console for all time

lmao

sigher posted:

Just glue it to the back of your Steam Deck like that goon that did it to his 3DS.

wow i was instantly beaten. still hilarious though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I feel pretty good about my 256gb reservation. That's gonna be plenty of space for the kinds of games I'm gonna play on this thing to keep a handful of AAA titles on the nvme and use a microsd card for smaller or older games.

I'm not gonna be playing games like Warzone or Destiny or other massive online games where I would rather be on a mouse and keyboard anyway.

I really see this as replacing my Switch for all non-Nintendo made games like Dark Souls or Dead Cells that I like to play on a handheld while my wife is using the TV and even being able to run bigger games that would never launch there like Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I wonder how Steam OS is gonna handle logging into other launchers. Will I be able to run stuff like Mass Effect Legendary that boots up Origin? What about Cyberpunk that has a launcher associated with it, or Far Cry games that use Ubisoft Connect?

e: I realize the answer to that is "install Windows" but I'm hoping the Deck works with as many games as possible without jumping through hoops.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 24, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mine actually says December 2021 now. It was one of the ones not showing a date at all on preorder day.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I'm glad they made a middling controller because hopefully that taught them a lot before making controls for the Deck

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

hell yeah, easy to replace the thumbsticks. that's huge considering the state of modern joystick drift.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Any news or rumors about when next month order forms start opening up? Mine still just says December.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Did they ever give a date for the first shipment besides December?

Naw, but we’re closer today than when preorders went up, so thats why I’m asking!!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

What happens if you try to play a game on Deck that doesnt have native controller support or Xinput or whatever, like the old GTA games, have they said if theyre baking in some sort of thing for that or will the Deck just wait for you to connect a kb/m?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Neat, it’s a rare problem to run into and the old GTA games are the only ones that even come to mind.

I haven’t tried to boot those games in years, gonna give them a shot with that feature since the Definitive versions suck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The United States posted:

It's two nintendo switches duct taped together

eight gamecubes holy poo poo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Still planning for the Deck to occupy my Switch time and not my actual PC time regardless of whether it can run new games or not

This thing is to play Loop Hero or whatever while your wife watches Bad Television Show #29 on the big tv

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Rather play Loop Hero on my actual Switch, which I can do today.

This is going to be my playing MP2/MP3 in Dolphin machine after the MP1 remake comes out. Also it's a race to see which of the Deck or the rumored MP1 remake comes out first.

i own it on steam tho!!!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Also, they will sell as many as they can make for the next couple years.

Probably best to not advertise what people cannot possibly get. Especially in the days of a global tech shortage.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Any notion as to how they’ll reach out to tell us they’re ready to complete the ordering process? Email, I’m guessing?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

homeless snail posted:

That's how Index preorders worked, when your number came up they sent you an email to finalize it or you'd lose your spot after a week. I think it also popped up a notification in Steam.

Okay, cool, a week margin is fine. I assume I would see DECK ORDERS GOING LIVE in my socials/youtube algorithm, but I've been checking my email every day this month in case.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I ordered the Deck within five minutes of it going live and have Q1. I don't know if I just got lucky with server prioritization or whatever but between PS5, XSX and this, this was the easiest by far for me.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

hows this gonna compare to say a pc from 2015 with a 970 in it

it's gonna be way easier to hold on the couch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Making a Deck category in my Steam library for games I wanna try on there.

Right now I got Death’s Door, Spelunky 2, Death Stranding, Chrono Trigger, The Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Dead Cells, Doom 2016, Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen, FFIX, Red Faction Guerilla Remarstered, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Binding of Isaac Isaac Repentance, Skyrim Remastered, Void Bastards.

The ones I actually doubt will run well are The Witcher 3 (though I could see them porting their Switch copy into Steam Deck at some point) and Resident Evil 2. The rest are either verified or old or scale well.

I do have a Switch, but I expect games like Doom to run better on Deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

homeless snail posted:

I feel like this only furthers my point, thanks. If no one has unrealistic expectations about what the $1200 handheld pc can do, then why should they about the substantially similar one that's half the price?

one is made by Valve

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TwoDice posted:

am I the only one who turns off rumble whenever I can? it's annoying and burns the battery faster (exception is the steam controller's haptic trackpads, those are good)

i do it too. i just think it's irritating most of the time, and actually distracting instead of more immersive.

i turned down my ps5's resistive triggers too, those actually irritate my tendonitis. i turn that off where i can but some games like returnal or ratchet and clank require it as part of the gameplay, so.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

personally, battery life shan’t matter to me, as i will play this twenty feet from my pc, sitting on the couch, half paying attention to my five month old baby, plugged into the wall behind the couch

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Why is your baby plugged into the wall?

look pal i dont tell you how to parent your kids do i

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Email me gaben

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lol i did time zones wrong

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

EMAIL ME GABEN

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Looks like 30 fps mode works wonders on Digital Foundry’s review

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

still no email :negative:

i need to play elden ring on the couch, gabe!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

every time i get an email, and it’s not about my big Deck, i get a little sadder

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The Game Gear also came with an AC adaptor in the box, at least

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

it would be cool if gabe would email me so i could play elden ring on the couch tbqh...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

buy a Bluetooth controller

the pc is in the office, op, the baby mostly stays in the living room!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Stick drift is just a part of how they’re designed and produced. It’s more known now because of the Switch’s tiny little lovely things and because they sold so many of those things, but it’s been A Thing for ages.

I had stick drift on a PlayStation 3 controller. Thanks, Resident Evil 5.

At least they’re somewhat easily replaceable on the Deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Funnily enough I’ve played Switch a ton and none of my sticks have drift

That’s just the way it goes, baby

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Has anybody heard of anyone getting an order email since the launch day or are we still thinking Monday for the next wave?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I picked midrange because I figured most people would want the cheapest or the biggest

And I ended up with a Q1 order, so, it worked out

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

10am PST

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Got my email, ty Gaben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Folks that have one-- what kind of shipping did they send? I didn't see anything about it during checkout.

I am stoked!