Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not available in australia sadly

this looks cool as hell and may as well be the ultimate emulation device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm looking forward to using mine for switch emulation. I've got one already but I don't get to use it lol

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

honestly, i know switch emulation will probably be poo poo, I only care about hyrule warriors on the switch (which runs perfect on yuzu), so I'm happy to be able to play my steam library on the deck, and if it can also run hyrule warriors ill be extra happy

I already have a switch, i just don't get to use it because my kids lol

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is an elaborate XCOM2 portable platform, if you think about it.

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 30, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm looking forward to playing some video games on the valve switch at some point in the future

e; that being said, how usable is the aya neo in comparison?

I'm sure some nerd like df has done a comparison

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wonder when this'll get an australian release.

Probably the 1.0 hardware will get a release when the rest of the world gets 2.0

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FBS posted:

it's Q2 where's my god damned Deck

Still not available for preorder in australia.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cheap Trick posted:

My prediction is that the Steam Deck won't be sold in Austraila until next year.

My prediction is that the steam deck 1.0 will come out in australia when steam deck 3 is out everywhere else

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

any indication on when these will be available in australia yet

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thinking of buying an ayaneo next because they're available in australia from the end of next month - anyone got one and able to talk about if they're any good or not? watched a few performance videos on youtube and it looks like the ayaneo has a better cpu, but the deck's got a better gpu and performs better?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rinkles posted:

that's way more expensive than the deck, right? or does it work out differently down under?

2k aud - still significantly less than you'd pay for a "good" gaming PC (3070 down here is like $900 if you can get one).

idk, I just don't see a steam deck being available for a few years at least.

e: or maybe I should go for the OneXplayer - it's also available now, anyone tried this?

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 30, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wait for the Ayaneo 2. It should perform a little better than the deck.

If the choice is between one of these handhelds and a gaming PC, then look at the last page of the PC Building Megathread in which an aussie decides not to build a PC and asks for advice on buying a prebuilt. We found some good prebuilts for around $1500 - $1900 AUD (the $1900 one had a 3080).

Also GPUs are available there now and the 3070 costs less than that. You can just go to any online retailer and buy one for like $750 AUD. Which isn't an amazing price, but still. You can in fact put together a very good gaming PC for less than $2k AUD. And a good gaming PC will be an order of magnitude more performant than a steam deck.

Nah - got a gaming PC already but use it less than I'd like between work and travel and I reflected in the past that portables are generally where I game when I've got the opportunity - it's why I'm so interested in the steam deck - I just do not see it hitting our shores any time soon unfortunately.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Had a look on ebay for drecks in Australia, starting at 2400 lol

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'll personally break the kneecaps of anyone who doesn't buy a copy

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cartoon Man posted:

Never did play that one. Is it better/worse/equal to Final Fantasy Tactics?

Same team made it, this is the remake of the PSP game, which itself was the remake of the Ps1 game, which itself was the remake of the SNES game.

imo it's vastly superior, the plot is better, the battles are bigger, the classes are more focussed and fit for purpose - and it has a fair whack of secrets / post game content

that being said, the game has some pretty severe issues at the upper end around the post game, specifically the grinding required to progress in the post game is quite high - as well as the crafting being very time consuming and unnecessarily unwieldy

but I'm very hopeful that much of those will be fixed up here because it looks like they're changing a pretty substantial amount with regards to mechanics.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Still no Australia, alas.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If I buy a second hand dreck, do I get a copy of the themes also when I register the deck to me, or is the deck account locked

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Got a steam deck;

is there an easy way to transfer files between the steam deck and a PC?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Two questions:

1/ not to wrap around to battery chat, but I remember reading somewhere in here that if you leave your battery on charge overnight, it won't do damage to the battery because even when on sleep mode, the deck discharges down to 80%? y/n?

2/ is there any way to stop the "you are logged in somewhere else, please re-enter your credentials" on the main pc, I've got an idle game running basically 24/7 so having to log back in and re-enter my steam guard password every time I turn on my deck is aggravating.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bum the Sad posted:

I posted that. It’s not overnight. But definitely if you don’t touch it for several days in a row it will eventually set 80% as the new max until you mess with it again.

Ah cool - I just didn't want to leave it on charge overnight while I was asleep and damage the battery is all

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dusk was just deck verified

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Alright, can anyone explain what Offline Mode actually does? Yes, "it lets you play games offline" I get that, but I can't find any real explanation for how it facilitates that.

Particularly, how is it different from simply launching a game with no Internet connection?

Do you have to be online when you turn Offline Mode on--so.you have to plan ahead? On this latter point it sounds like "yes" although that may have been fixed in a recent update?

I put my deck into offline mode so it doesn't make my desktop poo poo the bed because I have the temerity to have a f2p idle game running

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a straightforward way to install windows on the deck

I put win 11 on an SD card but can't find any instructions to boot from the SD card, the only stuff I found was on the steam support page which said you'd need to wipe steamOS which seems uh, counterintuitive

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a way to setup a Samba share on the steamdeck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone know of any good services that I can order delivery of US Specific items (such as this) to overseas?