Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Took me too long to get an order in (50 mins) but I have a 512 reservation and they say q2…..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Soul Glo posted:

Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.

Anecdotally - nah. A friend of mine with 5 games on his account said this immediately looks more interesting than his gaming PC does, and when I get my hands on a deck I am sure I will instantly drop $200 on software. And I have like 780 games in my account.... I almost rebought Horizon yesterday before figuring out I owned it from a deep discount sale and had never activated it :laugh:

I'd like this to be good, it's cool, and it will keep me off another Switch until I see the reports. That said I'm not super super sad to have a Q2 '22 date instead of Q4 '23, because that's enough time for some real feedback from the wild.

If it pans out, looks like I will in fact end up owning Dead Cells on three systems. Oops.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dramicus posted:

You can check here to get an idea of what will run out of the box or with no configuration required.

https://www.protondb.com/

Ah, see, now you have me convinced I'll buy one even if the early reviews are bad

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Mozi posted:

Fairly early, so for now no harm in hoping this is the case! It did say Q1 2022 originally but maybe I got bumped up somehow...

I think this may be a fair assumption because I ordered 58 mins in and had a Q2 date; your post prompted me to check and I now see a Q1.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed until it comes in the box of a new console

I think it's funny that people still have this idea in mid 2021. It's niche and increasingly not niche only because of Facebook so I find that disturbing for the future of the ecosystem as someone who enjoys PC vr.

That said:

https://www.roadtovr.com/monthly-connected-headsets-steam-3-million-march-2021/

Note that Valve's numbers only indicate ~30% Oculus; this is not counting anyone with a Quest/Quest2 who has never used it on Steam, which is probably the majority of the Oculus userbase at this point. It also doesn't include, obviously, the ~5m PSVR units.

https://www.roadtovr.com/quest-2-unit-sales-estimate-psvr-unit-sales/

Oculus sold 2-3 million Quest units in Q4 of 2020 alone (https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/w...0VR%20headsets.)

Adding all this up we're looking at more than 10 million more or less modern HMDs out there, with numbers that are mostly linearly increasing and therefore a majority of these purchases have happened in a relatively short timeframe.

For reference, 85.7 million switch units were sold in all regions by the end of Q1 2021. So, the adoption of the most popular HMD is only around 7% the adoption of all Switches, but the total number of HMDs out there is less than an order of magnitude off from the switch.

VR is here to stay based on these numbers alone, at least for some significant period of time, and to those of us using it on a regular basis the only confusing thing about this is that it's a shock to a lot of people. Come on down to the VR thread, the amount of stuff that already exists or is in development might surprise you :)

I don't know how much I buy this, either. We have 4 people living in this house and I have to confine almost all my insane bullshit to one bedroom. Granted I set it up with VR in mind, but this space is only marginally larger than what Google tells me the average American bedroom size is, and I also have my full work setup and desk as well as a rack of music gear in here, not hard to find a 5x7 plus space.

:flame: :flame: yes I like RGBs more than a boomer should

edit: once I have a steam deck I will absolutely be tethering my G2 to it if this is achievable without a dock; I expect it will be totally fine for any Quest2 compatible title, with some significant ratcheting down of detail level. Also might need to go to a powered USB hub, depending on how the USB-C port works in terms of being able to deliver 100% of spec.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

taking 5 years to find three million people with a wholeass Gaming Room and a thousand bucks to blow doesn't really indicate that VR's about to take the recession-wracked world by storm, imo; but I guess if technophiles were willing to confidently declare that it'd be taking over the world any day now and anyone saying otherwise was a dumb luddite back when VR meant two eight-pound CRTs strapped to your face why should the barriers to entry matter now

this is a bad take. I don't have a gaming room, I have an office which I arranged to have 3 desks, 3 complete computer workstations with a total of six monitors and a synthesizer setup and yet still managed to pretty trivially find room for a 5x7 space in. Also your $1000 is off by more than a factor of 3* and despite my dislike of Facebook they are definitely helping push both things.

If you're happy with a Quest 2, then the barrier to entry is literally identical to buying a switch: spend $300, sign up for an account, pay for games, play games. I had plenty of fun with my Rift S in a much smaller space before I had this room set up "properly", you don't actually need much space for beat saber and similar.

the oculus CV1 weighed 1 pound; the quest 2 weighs about the same despite being wireless, and the g2 weighs similar. The basic weight and form factor of these things has not actually changed in the way you are implying; they never weighed that much and weights also have not come down that much.

Also, where did anyone say this was "taking the world by storm"? Someone called it a gimmick and I said it was a niche product but one that has seen a massive uptick in adoption during the pandemic recession, and even if it is niche there are ~15% the number of modern HMDs out there as there are Nintendo Switches. That's not nearly the same as "outsold the Switch!" but it also appears to be a significant trend.

The numbers are what they are; if you don't care about VR, or think you might but just not enough to move where your desk is, then.... don't spend money.

Assuming it's possible I think it will be fun to gently caress with VR on the steamdeck. Prolly do Zen VR poo poo in the woods and stuff and feel ridiculous.

* my own setup is clearly a lot more expensive than that, but, the delta between "people who play VR" and "people who feel a need to play DiRT RALLY in VR with force feedback and pedals and also a HOTAS because why not" is a pretty big gulf. People like me are a niche minority and I expect that to stay true until the tech massively improves

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stux posted:

vyery funny the guy in na im guessing not understanding how the space requirements are very large for most places lol

I don't think it's unfair to say this is still a predominately NA based forum, and I very explicitly provided numbers based on the size of an american bedroom. However, I have friends who have been doing VR in their tiny rear end apartment rooms that also contain all their other poo poo for a couple years, sometimes they bitch about hitting walls but they love it and one of them is much, much, much better at beat saber than I will ever be.

Based on the way I had my first VR setup done: with a normal PC space I can play seated games just fine. With a 4x4 space I can play most stuff like Beat Saber fine. Yeah, with a space that small, stuff like Alyx is a chore, granted, but rhythm games and art apps and basically everything else I played was fine. I redid the space when it was convenient, and with Alyx in mind specifically, it's the only game I have where it's mattered much.

Also UK bedrooms appear to be ~90% the size of US on average.

If you don't have a dedicated office / gaming space and you are cramming your gaming into some other space, yeah, VR is going to be shittier but I don't think that issue is specific to the US (or to VR, VR just imposes additional hurdles). Likewise, if you can dedicate a room to "computer things", then finding a ~5x5 space to do reasonable VR seems quite doable even if you're someplace that overall has smaller real estate than the US.

The strongest statement I've made is that VR has moved from "gimmick" to "niche market that's growing fast", and also that a normal US bedroom, if it is set up as an office with VR in mind, can trivially provide a 5x7 space. I don't see what's controversial there, I've cited all my sources, and I think that something which has ~8% the market share of the Switch, a massively popular thing, cannot be dismissed as "gimmick".

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Kirios posted:

This is a dumb humble brag post that actually does the exact opposite of what your intentions were.

I'm neither trying to be humble, nor brag. This is a forum where gaming setups that cost thousands of dollars are routinely discussed, and it's very clear to me that I am neither on the high or low end, income wise, of posters here. Also we're talking about preordering a subjectively needless thing that costs $4-600 without even knowing its final specs, I think I am comfortable exposing my very middle class existence. I am basically a boomer, my first VR experience was a CV1 in a 9x9 room that had 40 sq ft of gear in it.

If you think a standalone device that costs $300, requires not that much dedicated space for it (especially compared to a PC / console), and has sold ~4+ million units and counting is "a gimmick", okay, cool, agree to disagree and I will circle back in a year when we see how these numbers continue to tick up?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Some people seem really mad at the idea that VR might be affordable and good now.

it angers me because I need people to get over this so I have more people who suck at ping pong to play Eleven with.

A game that should run just fine on the steamdeck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Lmao if you think the deck will power a headset at anything nearing a playable framerate. Have fun puking!

The Quest2's xr2 is equivalent to a ryzen 3500u, but the gpu is clocked at half speed and is most equivilent to graphics cards from a decade ago on pure numbers.

Assuming docking etc is possible and connecting a headset is possible, the specs for the Steamdeck are much stronger and this would imply that the sort of basic VR games I am talking about would work fine.

Eleven, for instance, requires a GTX970 and Intel i5-4590. We don't know the full specs on the Steamdeck yet, but the RDNA GPU is rumored to be "AMD 6000 series equivalent", which means the specs of this thing should easily outpace the minimum reqs for stuff like Eleven and Beat Saber.

This hardware is significantly more powerful than the Quest2, so, if it's technologically possible to tether to it and run VR, I would expect it to deliver a better experience in some number of games. I'll let you know in Q1, I guess, if Mozi or someone doesn't beat me to the punch (I KNOW you have a Vive, dude, hook it up, I will buy you Eleven!!)

Blade Runner posted:

To be on topic instead of the dumb tertiary conversation, I don't think it'll be very easy to play VR games directly off of the deck without severely turning down the super sampling, but it'd be extremely neat to see
Oh god no, I expect to have to ratchet stuff waaaay down compared to my PC. But, beating out the Quest2's performance should be doable, if there's no technical reason we can't dock.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

What goalposts this is my first post on the subject

convincing people that $300 and 25 sq ft of dedicated space for VR is not a horrible insurmountable obstacle for a demographic of people that read a gaming forum thread about totally superfluous devices that cost hundreds of dollars

in the specific context of talking about using said superfluous device to power said VR headset to maybe provide a better framerate, based on hypothetical performance numbers specc'd from various press releases

some people seem more concerned with flaunting their True Leftist creds than being open to the idea that VR is both more accessible and more fun than it was a decade ago

now you're caught up, tell me about your football avatar as it relates to goalposts?

people telling me American apartments are fuckin huge is hilarious when I spent years doing HARDCORE GAMING in a 595 sq ft 1-bedroom with one other adult human and two cats. Our kitchen was 20 square feet of usable space, and we were paying the equivalent of $1900/mo in 2021 dollars

the US is huge and cheap, if you get out of the desirable cities where most people want to live!!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stux posted:

where did i say i lived in london. i said i lived in one of the areas on the interactive map, figure 4 in the link i gave you, that has an average of 37 square meters. rcp.

Okay I am sorry your living situation is cramped and tiny and you find it totally incompatible with VR but that seems to be a minority opinion here?

Also my first VR setup was a 3x2 2x1.5 meter square in a single room and it was totally fine for a lot of games tethered to a PC but I am sure you will find that unsatisfying for some number of reasons

edit: metrics conversions maths

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stux posted:

yeah its like its a bunch of americans as i said. glad we have circled back around to the starting point, where i was right, as i always am.

yes you're right that you are living in a relatively cramped situation compared to many people in this thread and therefore may have different opinions about whether or not you want to interact with VR. Of course you're right about whether or not VR is a thing that's useful to you, even if you're determined to be wrong about many other things

homeless snail posted:

I see people keep saying this while I'm looking around in my house filled with Valve hardware, can you please elaborate because I think their track record on hardware is "wow this hardware is sick"

My only prior is a SteamBox and controller, a thing many people seem to hate?

I used it for about a year and thought it was fine for what it was and then my setup changed and I did not need it and it's been in a box. It was like $50 though and I got my 50 hrs out of it, whatever

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Stux posted:

i have been wrong at no point so far in my life. anyway would love to ehar more about true leftist creds and the 15w apu with 8 CUs being as powerful as a 970? if you wouldnt mind

I said clearly that I was speculating off what's been released in terms of hardware. We don't have real numbers.

if a docked steamdeck can be connected to a VR HMD and if SteamVR is supported without any insane 3rd party stuff, then I'd :toxx: on performance in stuff like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip being better than quest 2 native. That's a bunch of ifs.

The thing that doesn't have any ifs attached to it is "VR is no longer gimmick, it is at worst niche, and the fact that people in the US may adopt it more frequently because we have bigger residences than other places doesn't make it a gimmick, it just makes it a more popular product with the middle class in NA than in other markets where only more affluent people have access to a 2.5 x 2.5 meter space which is apparently a challenge for some people".

The leftist comment was poking fun at the idea that having a 3.5x3m space I can exclusively use to work from is a "humble brag", more or less.

Volte posted:

I can't do VR for more than like 20 minutes at a time before I start feeling like poo poo so I hope it never becomes the standard for gaming.

Some people can't punch through this but for me it was like a muscle and it got a lot easier over time. Initially even the 3DS gave me headaches.

I have been a 3d nerd forever, I just got back from a family vacation where my dad had me bring a projector and glasses to show his 3d family slide pics in 3d, and then lost his mind at me when the aspect ratio was wrong on some of them. So it goes. Even seen a 3d film camera? Cool stuff.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

vaginite posted:

If I can play binding of isaac in the living room without turning my wife's lovely yoga laptop inside out to be a standing screen I'll get my $400 worth, don't think that's far fetched.

I can do this now with my nvidia shield going to my RTX powered PC, but it would be even more fun to go steamdeck -> pc -> projector totally needlessly.

Seriously, I do most of my gaming on my iPad between 2-4am which is the reason for my shameful Historic set completion numbers on Magic Arena. I'd love to be able to hit most of my PC library from the couch at 2 am, because I am often awake at that point when my sleep goes biphasic but way too unmotivated to go to my PC or strap on a HMD.

Blade Runner posted:

I'm sorry that living in a tiny box without a bathroom has ruined your brain, it's very tragic
yea one of my takeaways here is "never move to a smaller place than the 11 acres we have, if at all possible". I am actually in the process of doing the paperwork necessary to be buried on this property; human remains might complicate resale for my offspring, but in a world where we're not all dead to climate change, good, I'd like to inconvenience as many people for as long as possible.

Stux posted:

your source was someone saying it. my two sources were actual studies which come to 800 square foot. you were wrong by such a large degree that even if i was wrong here, you would still be more wrong. and yet i am right, and you are flailing. keep going though... we're nearly there

even if you're right all you are doing is illustrating that your standard of living, on this one particular metric, is substantially worse than the target demo for VR..... so, cool? I think a 3m x 3m space is something most people should have available and if they do not it is a failing of their government. I live in a dystopian failed state and I've been inside a whole bunch of section 8 housing that would be fine for VR if the residents had $300 to spare. Which they do not. Because this is a dystopian failed state.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 19, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

GotDonuts posted:

Just hoping this will provide me pc games while out on the road as I drive a semi.

I.... hope you mean, at rest stations and when stopping for the night, and not "well I'm playing while I do 85mph but I have my knee on the wheel so I'll feel it if I hit the guide bumps" :smith:

only asking because I have heard of people doing the latter with books and portable DVD players which really freaks me out any time I am passing or near trucks on the interstate

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

even if AAA titles made post the release of the thing never work at all, the number of well reviewed, proton compatible games which I already own but have never even installed is legion, because of humble bundles and the like.

A selling point of the steam deck for me is "maybe I can play some of this poo poo I already own but will never ever bother to install and play on a PC because if I am in front of my PC gaming I am wearing a HMD 90% of the time".

One thing I'm less nuts about : if this had been an Index style, $600-down thing, I don't know if I would have done it, but if I had I'd be in "fire and forget" mode. As is, I had to set up some email filters and alerts and stuff to make sure I don't miss my window whenever the gently caress they offer it to me. Still, this was a much better experience than landing the 3070 and 3080 I landed last fall, and also a better experience by far than my various efforts to fail to order an RTX card or reserve an Xbox.

JazzFlight posted:

I'm not convinced about the "bring in your whole Steam library and just go at it," but if I get that too, it's a nice bonus.

this is where I am. If it runs retroarch perfectly and then some ~40-50% subset of the random Proton games I already have extremely well, then it's an awesome retroarch box that happens to do a bunch of other poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Floob posted:

Well, I guess Animal Crossing has been a big title for me, but it's not like I am tossing out my Switch.

I sold mine to buy 3 copies of Ravagan, Nimble Pilferer but I make fairly poor decisions in general on these issues

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Does a switch not sell for enough to buy a playset or did you already have one?

does not cover a playset

Saoshyant posted:

I know the MtG market can be crazy, but you sold a Switch and games for three copies of a MtG card? Yikes.

Yep, on the other hand the switch had sat on its shelf completely unused for more than 6 months and depreciated somewhat. Cards will get used at least a couple times a month and might hold more value if they dodge the ban roulette. I don't care much, it's all sunk costs to me, magic players are constitutionally dumb about things or we'd play a game whose cash input to emotional payout ratio was better.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

MtG: Arena can be much less expensive than paper magic.

And honestly I'm probably gonna play quite a bit of it on the Steam Deck. Probably with less lag than on any of my other computers.

It runs fine on my ipad and while I'll admit it can be cheap or even free, during COVID when I sold a bunch of paper I also bought into most of Historic in a 2-3 month time period and over a 15 month period easily put $1500 into xsolla charges. I don't care, I played hundreds or more hours of arena during COVID, but it's the most expensive computer game I play by a lot.

I can't see playing on the deck being a better experience than a tablet but maybe it's at least comparable to playing on my phone (which is totally fine, aside from large boards, which I try to prevent anyone from ever having).

Floob posted:

This is my opinion as well. So often my play times are short 15-30 minute sessions due to responsibilities

I always tell myself I am going to do this and then say "well, just one more run through Dead Cells" and suddenly it's 5AM

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I guess this is where the thread slows down to a trickle as we all wait 5-9 months for our right to be consumer whores

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Steam Deck: Delayed Because of Chain Supply for Optional Walled Garden

new thread title

also the Switch emulation discussion caused me to take a look at that for the first hard time and 15 mins later I was playing Metroid and Mario U2 on my PC at 1440p lmao :rubby:

I guess that's a device I won't be buying back

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Congrats on your theft

I am a weirdo, I have no problem paying cash for a (physical) copy of something like Metroid, playing it on an emulator, and then selling it and deleting it when I'm done. I realize that from a legal point of view Nintendo might not care, but from a pragmatic point of view, to me this is more or less a wash, morally. Yea, I am not using their hardware, and I no longer own their hardware :shrug:

As for the rest of this, seems a little silly to be arguing about perf issues on something that's vaporware and has already been delayed once to Chip Shortage.

My gut take is that people who want the deck to mostly play AAA titles are gonna be not thrilled, and people like me that want a RetroArch box that also plays a substantial portion of my existing ~1000 title steam library will probably be mostly happy unless Valve completely screws the pooch.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 14, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

One of my friends has his deck. Honestly, it's heavier than I was hoping, and the length of time I've had to wait has caused me to just get this setup working for $30 (given that I already had the phone)

My primary use case isn't being on the go (where do I go?!!?!!?), but, rather, playing my steam library from the couch late at night without having to use a PC, or turn on the projector etc. So, 95% of the time I want to use this, I will be on the same 5g network as my primary gaming PC anyway.

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn through this, the lag is not noticable and I have to believe it looks better than it would on the deck given that the rendering is happening on a 5900x + 3090 machine.

This does all that, and, yeah, it's not a full loving computer I can do a bunch of other poo poo with but the big pro to that is it's not another loving full PC I have to configure etc, and if I am just going to use the deck in pure deck OS mode.... I think I like my smartphone setup better? Hell, I can play on a 10" screen if I want, just need a $200 android phablet.

We'll see how I react when I actually get the email, of course.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Harminoff posted:

I tried doing this but it's so top-heavy and uncomfortable. Razer Kishi is a lot better if you wanna go this route.

wow, thanks for the heads up! That was my only complaint with this setup. I ordered a Kishi, but, I think that getting a used Samsung phablet is next because lol this picture from reddit (of a tablet that weighs surprisingly little for what it is)

We'll see if I still end up getting my deck. Setting a steamdeck up as a DAW seems like a good project, if really dumb

edit: also the 8BitDO was supposed to be a controller for kiddo to play SNES games on, so, ordering a Kishi is cool and good and prevents me from hogging her poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Still no order slot for my deck but I guess they have another month and 10 days so whatever

In the mean time, uh, I did this to a poor Razer Kishi and now I am using it to play on a 10"+ lenovo p11 plus; pardon the kid sounds, they are happy and safe, gurgling is normal.

https://i.imgur.com/lNmg3AP.mp4

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dramicus posted:

So is this playing locally on the device, or streaming? If it's local, thats pretty cool.

steam streaming over 5g local LAN with an expensive set of signal boosters. I would not expect this to be playable over the internet but I haven't tried and also I do have symmeterical 1000mbps fiber so it might work okay if I had a fat pipe on the other end.

a $180 4gig tablet can't run sick gamez native. Except the sickest game, Magic Arena

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I hope this is accurate. I just sold a revised Tundra for $380 so I have even more cash than usual burning a hole in my slush fund.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

If the estimation site is remotely accurate my slot is up soon.

Pretty sure I am gonna buy it after watching this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tfrk55/music_production_with_steam_deck/

I will probably immediately put Studio One one and then try to kill it with VSTs

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the Moo2 2000 person data set says that I should get my email today but the larger, newer 8000 person set says 6/17.

Seems like the rate at which people are bailing on their reservations may be slowing

Heran Bago posted:

For people used to repairing phones heatguns and heavy double sided tape are not so intimidating. A certain kind of nerd won't hate the challenge and may be interested in opening up a novel deck.

I am generally not used to this kind of work in the very recent past, but I've done my share of it and when I got a 3090RTX FE last winter I immediately did the full disassembly to completely repad both sides. It was slightly terrifying to be ripping an impossible-to-replace-quickly $1500 thing apart but really this stuff is pretty easy if you:

* have the right tools
* watch videos in advance
* have decent fine motor skills.

Good eyesight is a plus, too. I lack that but I have a jeweler's visor with lenses that range from 1.5x - 4x, so I just use that. When I used to do some of this poo poo in the late 90s - mid 00s, video tutorials of your exact problem didn't exist and you were lucky if you had a service manual plus a Usenet post from someone who once solved a similar problem on a similar but meaningfully different model, ha.

You can build these skills pretty easily and even make a little scratch if you want, just buy up old laptops that have something wrong with them for dirt cheap and then fix and sell. Which reminds me that my mom's old laptop is sitting downstairs in need of being ripped apart and probably having a new HDD put in, minimally.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 6, 2022

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

COME ON GABE I GAVE YOU MY MONEY DAYS AGO

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I am assuming I can go to a linux terminal and just install xvncviewer or similar. Does anyone know if I'm in for a rude awakening?

edit: are there any posts on what firewall poo poo the deck might need open, or is it not doing any special communication outside of regular Steam traffic on the usual ports, plus whatever you're running on it?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a text guide to the easiest way to setup yuzu

I find following yt videos tedious as gently caress

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Weird problem with dead cells:

Was playing last night in desktop mode, put it to sleep. Woke it today, game ran briefly, then minimized. When I went back to it, no audio.

Reboot deck. Still no audio in dead cells. Uninstall it, reboot deck. Reinstall. Play Zero Dawn - that has audio. Still no audio in Dead Cells.

Uninstall it again after browsing to local content folder. Delete remaining folder after uninstalling. Reboot deck. Reinstall again. Still no loving audio in dead cells! Go in via desktop, look at audio -- I don't see anything weird in the OS settings.

No issues with other games; am on the verge of resetting the loving thing. Have not done much in the way of customization or anything weird.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Truga posted:

go to desktop mode and run the game, and then check in taskbar in case the game's been muted in KDE itself. every app has its own volume slider both in taskbar and if you click on the sound control in KDE

The answer turned out to be more bizarre than this and had something to do with cloud sync. Note that in each case where I had audio problems, I went into the audio menu to verify, and try toggling, the state of the mute button, so I am pretty sure of the chain of events here.

I did a complete reset on the steam deck, because it's fast and most of my stuff is on an SD card anyway, which I removed for the duration. Fresh setup, reinstall game -> no audio. Check menu, audio all set. Go to desktop, look at audio settings, everything is normal. The only unusual thing was that the game initially complained about cloud sync on first start up. Because of that, my next step was to go to my desktop computer, and start the game. No audio. At this point, feel like I am going out of my mind, but check audio settings and, the game is muted. Uncheck that, audio on desktop PC.

I shut down the game on the desktop, restarted it on the deck, and had audio. Seems like some kind of fuckup with cloud sync state and the game being in a perpetual mute state, no idea why launching from a second machine mattered. Steam Desktop was running on that PC for the duration of all this, which could matter.

Fuckin weird man

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I own a deck and I just spent way too long jailbreaking an original 3ds

send help

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

deck had been working fine, played on Friday, plus it in the case. pulled it out tonight, the ABXY buttons and right stick just do not work, a hard reset makes no difference and so I guess I'm doing an RMA, and also if anyone wants to buy a 512mb at a discount PM me because I've got a hardline fool me once attitude with bespoke hardware, so one way or another I'm cashing out of this piece of poo poo, i expect

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

lol

Ok well see ya later

oh, I'm probably venting and once I get through the presumably long but hopefully painless RMA process I will probably roll my eyes and hope it doesn't happen again.

loving annoying, though, I've been playing this like 15 mins a day waiting for my kid's bus to show up, and it's been fine for that, and then poof half the controls just stop working between putting it away on friday and opening it tonight. The gently caress?

I have one local friend who has a deck and he had to RMA his for a busted controller the first week, so I am fairly :raise: on the QC here.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dramicus posted:

You should get a proven device that has sticks that will never fail, like the Nintendo Switch.

I had a switch and while I didn't love it and ended up selling it, I think what they did with their controllers was smart, compared to the deck with integral "button or joystick breaks, have to RMA/service whole unit". This has been in my mind since day one, but having not one button break but 4 plus a joystick at once when literally nothing happened to the thing has me tilting at windmills.

edit: also my 3ds from 2011 still works fine with all its buttons and weird rear end thumbstick, and that will be what I play at the bus stop until Valve straightens me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Without getting into it too much, it makes sense that everything on the same side failed at once. If you look at how the deck is made, it's got a separate board for each side of inputs. The board might have been bad, or it got knocked loose or who knows.

got it. Well, I guess I just have to hope they don't take forever to sort it out, and that they do. It's certainly possible it got jostled but it was just sitting on the passenger seat of a car for a few hours and then on a table, in its case, so if getting whacked in that condition knocked something loose, seems like it was going to happen eventually.

anyone know the usual RMA turnaround these days? My friend here did one early on and it was pretty quick, maybe a couple weeks.