Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been given a Steam Deck to play with for a bit and I'm really impressed with it. Of course, I had to look up hacks and what not, and I have some questions if that's OK (I read the OP):

1) I want to install Cryo utilities, right? At best, it does nothing, but at worst, it'll help with some games (except RDR2) or so I've been told.

2) I need Decky, but what are the must-have things for it? I'll install the vibrancy thing, but it looks like Valve will be adding it to the next stable release, so I guess it's just for now. Also, do I need to reinstall Decky every time there's a system update?

3) How does GeForce Now work? Does it work well?

4) I saw you can access the Epic store. How good is that? Do all the games work despite not being Steam Deck approved?

5) How does docking the Deck into a 4K TV look? Anything to keep in mind?

6) Anything I must know, obvious stuff like storage etc?

Basically, I want to mess with it a bit but if it's too time-consuming or complex I won't bother. Any up to date guides or videos would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks for the advice! Turns out it's super simple to install Decky/Cryo and they're all running perfectly now!

I spent half an hour researching the BEST RE4 settings instead of actually playing it. It's a curse

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gophermaster posted:

RE4 worked fine out of the box for me.

What's your fps? Mine fluctuates between 30-60. Looks pretty good though! Wish I could lock it to 40 for a smoother experience but you get used to it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why the HELL would i need to be online to play an offline game? Thankfully the Switch doesn't do that garbage, but neither should the Deck, a handheld gaming device meant for traveling.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

It’s so the devs can harvest and sell your data, op.

Can't they do that when I get back online

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Switch charger works perfectly

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been playing RE4 remake (incredible on the Deck btw) and the Switch adapter keeps it fully charged at all times. I'm assuming that's a demanding game.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

When I've finished RE4 I'm going to take a look at EmuDeck. Can anyone tell me their experiences with emulating the Dreamcast and Saturn? I've found a video on how to get the Saturn working, doesn't seem to be too hard! But I always have terrible luck with emulation so we'll see

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

EmuDeck came out first and is more popular, but RetroDeck is incredibly streamlined, moreso than EmuDeck from what I've read, and I heartily recommend it. It's been a joy using it for Dreamcast and PS1 so far

Things RetroDeck does well are auto-save state when you close the emulator, fantastic touchpad radial menus specifically made for the deck, fully integrated interface for all systems, can't think of a single bug I've hit, it's been a really nice experience

OK sounds like I should use this instead! Well, as long as Saturn (beetle) works well

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ooh is this any good? No reviews on steam yet but the price is nice and Ghostbusters is the best

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The new Ghostbusters game runs really well and looks nice. Played a couple of rounds and for the price I'm gonna have a good time. If anyone wants to party up let me know!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

There are a lot of cheap sub $75 monitors on Aliexpress. Does anyone have experience using any of these with a Steam Deck? Thought something cheap, even 12 inches with decent picture would be a step up from the Deck's display, but I could be wrong!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Love your new avatar btw

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've been playing the new Ghostbusters game on Steam Deck and it works perfectly. It's really fun to just pick up and play, and being the ghost vs being the Ghostbuster keeps it fresh. There are always people playing it too, thanks to crossplay. Zero complaints, recommended!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I tried that guide and it didn't even work! Just loaded a white screen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Xbox gaming was the most infuriating experience in my life. I think I had to reinstall Gears 5 about 5 times, for no reason!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So Geforce Now has Xbox Game Pass? I'd love to try it for my Steam Deck, but when I followed both guides (Microsoft for Xbox, Steam Deck HQ for Geforce) to get them working, neither worked. I'm absolutely sure I followed the directions exactly and typed everything perfectly. Is there anything else I can try or did anyone have similar problems? Basically I'd launch the Chrome/Edge page and it would just be white.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have a DLC problem that's infuriating.

I've borrowed the Steam Deck that I'm currently using, and the owner has RE4 Remake and some of the DLC, but he didn't have Mercenaries or Separate Ways.

In my account, I tried to download Mercenaries for free, and it just wouldn't work. tried to buy Separate Ways, but it won't let me as I don't have the base game.

I switched to his account and added Mercenaries, booted it up from his account, and the mode was unlocked. Boot the game up from my account, and Mercenaries is NOT unlocked.

Am I missing something? Do I have to buy the whole game just to play the DLC?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

fellas is it normal to not be able to play games you don’t own :thunk:

But I HAVE played the games I don't own, ding dong. Nice own.

It's just weird because I have access to all of the other DLC but not the recent free one. Must have been included when he bought the game the first time. Since I'm on his family account I just assumed I'd be able to play the new DLC because that's how Steam says it works on Steam Deck. Never mind!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I had the Deck just completely lock up and crash 2 nights ago when playing Ghostbusters. Had to hold the power button down, then the game just wouldn't boot until I re-verified the files 3 times and restarted the Deck. Very bizarre.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Is it installed on the SD card? Or is it on the stock SSD?

Stock SSD! That should be... better, right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, at this point I've fiddled with mine enough I can be patient for the big boy update

Same, but this is cool! Nice upgrade.

I ordered the Anbernic Arc and I'm super excited about a handheld Saturn, it's been my dream for decades

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Since I pre-ordered the Anbernic Arc, is there a thread that talks about those systems? Looking for tips and things!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks so much!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Resident Evil 2 Remake, 7, and 8 all run beautifully on the deck as well (set to 40fps, or 45 with the OLED). I personally haven't tried RE4R, but have heard good things.

RE4R is perfect as well, stable at 40fps and looks amazing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Funnily enough, I checked just last night to see if 3.5 was out yet then 2 hours late... BAM!

I've just been waiting for the colour options. Is there a sort of recommended one-size-fits-all setting that makes the screen much nicer?

BoldFace posted:

After updating to 3.5.5 and undervolting to -40 mV using the new BIOS options, my deck runs noticeably cooler and quieter. Not that it was very loud to begin with.

You didn't have any performance issues? Where are the new BIOS options, I wanna try!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This dang 3.5 update has been stuck on 87% with 1 second remaining for over an hour! Should I restart or leave it alone?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How do Epic games run on the Deck? I assume not as good as Steam games because of shaders and the like?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't wait for everyone to get their new Decks so they can stop posting every update of their ordering and shipping process!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone use those special glasses (the XAIRS or something?) with the Deck? They sound cool as hell

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

They are cool but my biggest problem is that the deck only has one port so no playing and charging.

oof yeah that's rough and almost makes them pointless. Unless you can somehow pass power through with an adapter?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is this Steam Deck only chat cos I'm getting my Legion Go Friday and it would be nice to have somewhere to post about it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You can also boot into Bazzite AKA Steam OS for added goodness

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Why get literally anything that’s not a Deck?

I loved the Deck when I used it. The Go is to replace my old laptop and downsize. Now I'll be able to plug it into my monitor to work and edit, then undock it to play games. That's the main reason! Cos I ain't using Linux. Plus it's a more powerful Steam Deck with Bazzite.

Phetz posted:

I love my LeGo! I use it every day and not just for gaming. With the kickstand, it works great as a video/tv/movie screen going under my main monitor while I work.

I recommend joining the Legion Go subreddit if you’re inclined, plenty of performance good tips and troubleshooting if you end up running into weirdness, which you probably will. Have fun!

Good to hear! I've looked there and joined Discord. Hopefully everything will just work :shepicide:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah this is why I went with the Legion Go, it seems like the best of both worlds at the mo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well Fallout 4 is now on Geforce now, which is good. I dont know if you need mods to make it playable however!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Legion Go just arrived and it is loving massive. I love it haha. Whether it's comfortable remains to be seen (but tonight I'll probably detach the joy cons and play with it on my little bed table like I did with my Deck, or use an Xbox controller)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The good thing about Steam Deck is that it mostly just works. Now I have to learn about integer scaling and SUPER RESOLUTION

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Now that I'm slowly setting up my Go, *extremely Shenmue voice* where can I find "Honkers Railway"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah it's just a Genshin Impact clone, lame