Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

repiv posted:

It's been discussed to death in the Steam thread but for the sake of the new thread

We now know the Steam Deck uses standard m.2 2230 SSD modules, so in principle it should be possible to upgrade the base 64GB model if you end up regretting it. The m.2 slot isn't designed to be easily user accessible like say, the one in the PS5, and we don't know yet how difficult it will be to access. The type of SSD they are using is less common and more expensive than typical m.2 drives, but they can be found for cheaper than Valves upgrade prices and are available up to 1TB rather than the 512GB max Valve is offering.

I don't know if this is true for m.2 2230 drives, however some higher capacity 2280 drives (4/8TB) can be too thick to comfortably fit into laptop enclosures, causing stress on the drive and other internals.

Maybe some in this thread knows, but given 2230 drives are so much smaller than 2280 is it possible that a 1TB drive or higher will be materially thicker than a lower capacity drive and potentially struggle to fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I would say the fact the SD has bluetooth audio is one of the top reasons I’m excited to use it over the Switch. How Nintendo hasn’t fixed that with a revision yet I have no idea.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJoUs0pM4GU&hd=1

New IGN video. Not much in the way of new info here, but interesting to see how much they are hammering home, "This is not a subset of the Steam library, you will be able to play everything".

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Just got my email - have until the 16th to decide and I'm pretty on the fence. Is there a good resource for a rolling review/state of the Steam Deck type thing to help me come to decision?

Also to the thread - should I buy a steam deck?

e:sorry bad snipe