Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Reserved the big expensive one. I figure I’ll just get name on it now then decide later in the year if I really want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I really hope the Steam Deck lets you super easily wirelessly connect multiple Decks together in a way games will recognize as a LAN. It would be a shame if you could only do multiplayer on a portable machine when connected to a router.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

God I wish I lived in 550 square feed

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm kind of wishing I had pre-ordered the 512 rather than the 256, but it's entirely because Total War: Warhammer 2 is very large and so it would basically be the only game I could install on the thing. But also trying to play on a screen that size probably wouldn't be great anyway. Oh well!

I haven't been this excited for hardware in a long time, probably since the Switch was announced. Brigador on the go will be cool. Two Worlds on the go will be perfect, I can seek out taint at work. I'm having fun looking up games in my library on ProtonDB to see what I should mess with. I have a very large backlog.

The fact that it isn’t called Total Warhammer makes me SO MAD

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm kinda dumb about this kind of thing. There's just a single drive—is it possible to dual boot using drive partitions?

Yeah, partitioning hard drives makes your computer see them as for all intents and purposes two distinct drives. You can have different OSes in each partition if you want.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

My only concern with swapping out steam os for windows would be that presumably the OS works well with the built in controls while Windows wouldn’t be designed around it. Hopefully when they update big picture mode they also add a checkbox for “make my controller operate desktop as good as Steam OS does”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The Gadfly posted:

It's disappointing that the battery isn't designed to be easily removable. Imagine having spare batteries that you could charge separately, and pop one in for an instant 100% charge.

Easily removable batteries is just another casualty of post 2010 technology

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Wouldn't the better option be an external SSD? People seem to not be concerned with battery life because it'll mostly be plugged in and those are very light and small and 540MB/s is much better than an SSD card.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/
50g and smaller than the palm of your hand and 1TB for $140

That’s what I want. A brick dangling off my gabegear

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

init posted:

If it supports eGPUs, you might actually be able to do this relatively easily with USB-C.

Of course, you'd have to spend 3-4 times the price of a Steam Deck on the eGPU enclosure and the GPU itself, but maybe that's worth it to have raytracing on the go

It would be silly as hell to do that for a portable, but having all that connected to a dock for when using it at home would be cool if this is your only computer

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

sigher posted:

Docks aren't really expensive themselves, why would the Steam Deck one be much more expensive?

Branding and to make up for the hit theyre taking on the machine itself both sound likely.

It isn’t a slick drop-in deal like the switch dock though so I can’t see myself buying one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It would be a real huge shame if Nintendo hypothetically stopped making hardware. I don’t think anyone else would go nuts with weirdo poo poo like switches and wiis like Nintendo.