Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Momomo posted:

If you prefer half the storage at half the price, I bought this one https://www.microcenter.com/product...-and-steam-deck

This also went on sale for about a hundred a few months ago, but they also seem to get bought up quick.

I have that same one in my deck and it works great. When I went to Microcenter to get it, I couldn't remember what it was called, so I just said the Steam Deck hard drive and they knew exactly what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just verified that one of the most important games of all times is playable on the Steam Deck.

Jet Set Radio Future runs just fine on Xemu on the Deck. I can now play JSRF portably. I love this machine.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

Please Decky-Record under 60 seconds and upload it to imgur lol

For some reason, it isn't loading, so here's the page. It may load later.

https://imgur.com/a/rKyHCNo

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Back when I was still using a cellphone with a Razer Kishi to play portable games and emulation, Remote Play was pretty amazing over wifi. The game felt like it was running natively for most of it and the few times there were drops, they were never game breaking.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’d rather have GTA 6 than RDR1 tbh.

It’s insanely hosed up that over a span of 12 years we had everything from original GTA to GTA4 and two decent sized expansions, and now we’re a decade deep into GTA V being re-released across 3 loving console generations with no end in sight.

I think it just comes down to "why make/release new thing when old thing still sells so well". Every year, you're hearing about GTAV selling another 10 or so million copies. It's sold more units than Sony did Playstation 2's. It is the best selling entertainment product of all time. Then you have GTAV online which at one point, was bringing in an additional billion dollars a year.

but yeah, I'd love a remastered (Remarstoned?) edition of RDR1

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I really love about my Steam Deck is that I can tell my computer to make some AI art and then play games while it's doing it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

I haven't changed my boot animation because I never shut my deck off. Yall really shutting it down all the time?

The occasional restart does help, but it launches the boot animation when you go back to gaming mode from desktop and I do that fairly often.

This is my current and probably forever boot video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/y2wbm2/my_dreamcast_homage_custom_boot_animation/

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Needs the fan noise and VMU beep

also, the obvious drive noise whenever anything happened. Played Skies of Arcadia on it and you could tell when a random encounter was about to happen by the sound of the drive spinning up.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675200/announcements/detail/3716071853478720784

New Steam client update for the deck, officially brings out PC to Deck game transfers. I tried this on the beta and it worked great, but the beta broke Decky for me, so I had to roll back. This is nice for those of us with lovely bandwidth caps who don't want to download the same game twice.

As long as the game is installed on a PC on the same network as your Deck, it'll ask how you want to download the game, and you can just grab it from there.

Edit: I remembered wrong, I just downloads the game off of your PC if it sees it there first. Just tried it with a 7gb game I wasn't sure worked or not, so I hadn't bothered to download it yet.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 16, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It's especially a pain when emulating old games and you have to remember which use B for accept and which use A. Also fun when emulating Switch...

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Also, for all this talk about it being a Deck killer and all that, I'm willing to bet Valve is still happy with this. It's still a PC and Steam is still the primary PC gaming storefront. It's not like Valve in bringing in the money with each Deck sold.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I dropped my Steam Deck in the toilet today. Only about a sixth or so actually got wet, and since it was still in sleep mode, I took off the backplate and put it in front of a powerful fan for a bit. Put it back together and it works just fine. Still, too close of a call in the morning.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'd want OLED, 120hz (older games for sure) and HDR support before I'd want a higher resolution on the screen. The Steam Deck just aint built to run stuff at that high of a resolution.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Vic posted:

Faster refresh rate or more pixels are the same exact thing for the processor time. Drawing 2 pixels or drawing 1 pixels twice makes no difference. Both are stupid for a handheld.

Eh, fair enough. Then just the oled/hdr. Something to make that screen really pop other than a plug in.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It was kind of a huge pain, but I finally got 360 emulation working on the Deck. So far, Hard Corps Uprising, the GoldenEye Beta, Guardian Heroes, and Qix ++ work fine. Perfect Dark and Daytona are missing a ton of models and textures, and Bangai-O slows to an absolute crawl whenever anything happens on the screen in large amounts (which is literally the whole point of the game). Getting a few more games on here to try them out, but this is yet another awesome positive for the Deck

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

tango alpha delta posted:

Stopped by BestBuy to try out the ROG Ally. It’s very impressive, but extremely uncomfortable to hold. The trigger placement isn’t natural and the case is all angles. If I want a case, that pushes the price well over a thousand dollars up here in Canada.

Did that as well and I felt that the triggers were way too high up, at least compared to the comfortable Steam Deck's triggers. It was neat to play the Forza 5 demo at 60 fps with high quality on a handheld, but I wouldn't want to use it for a long time. Also, you don't realize how nice the trackpads are for mouse control until you don't have them anymore.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I should hurry up and finish Outer Wilds. I dug it for a while and got somewhat far, but the repetition did kind of get old after a bit. I love the concept though.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

sigher posted:

I heard if you're in the south and you have Cox you're incredibly hosed in this regard.

I'm in the midwest and I have Cox and my cap is 1.25 Tb a month. I'm on the highest tier.

You can get an unlimited data add on, but it's like $50 and I only rarely ever reach the cap.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've had a couple of PS2 games use inverted camera controls and I was able to get them the proper way with Steam Input.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Substandard posted:

Has anyone played Holocure on the deck? I played a couple runs last night and the game works, but it was slowing down quite a bit late in waves, despite the steam monitor thing telling me it was only using about 25% of the CPU and GPU. I tried switching to proton experimental but it didn't seem to make a huge difference. Is there any setting I can change to fix this?

I'm having the same issues. Fun game, but it gets rough in the last quarter of a level.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This would be kinda dumb to begin with, but at $75, it's real dumb.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBL27QKC/?th=1

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Xenia canary is back up and running on the Steam Deck with the newest version. You just gotta do a small change to the config file to set the gpu to D3D12 and set it to run with Proton Experimental.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/16jh4b4/i_got_xenia_canary_fully_working_on_steamos_no/

The 360 version of Perfect Dark and Daytona work great now, as does Child of Light (I think, it looks weird as hell early on, but I think that's how Child of Light looked). Skate 3 runs great on Xenia on the deck (way better than the PS3 version does on Deck). Haven't tried a ton of other games, and still can't get Xbox Indie titles working (there are some good ones I liked). DOA4 went from extreme graphical corruption to just not booting, and Tony Hawk's Project 8 also now crashes early on, but it ran terribly on Deck anyway.

Edit-Looks like a couple of games that were working aren't now. Ah well, nothing that wont be fixed with time. 360 emulation is still pretty early on and Linux isn't the best place for it anyway.

Edit - Also not running the preview build of 3.5, don't know if that'd make a difference.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 15, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've had my Steam Deck for about a year now and I love the hell out of it, but I'm totally getting the OLED refresh day one. Just need to find someone local who'll buy my old one for $250, but that's with me putting my 1TB drive in the new one and the 512 one it comes with in the old one. Seems a fair rate.

This looks amazing.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Any game from the 360 era you missed is great, I'm playing Vanquish right now and it's glorious.

360 games on PC are great, but he said 10 years. The 360 came out nearly 18 years ago.

It's closer to the SNES launch date than now.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah we're actually more like... Ten years ago being the ps4 release date.

In any case I did stay on top of a lot of games via consoles so there's not *too* much I'm missing but I definitely got a load of indies to discover and go through.

Dead Cells, Hades, Risk of Rain Reloaded, Risk of Rain 2, Rogue Legacy 2, Outer Wilds (not Worlds, that's a different game), Disco Elysium, Hololive (a better Vampire Survivor than Vampire Survivor)

These are just a few I thought off of the top of my head.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Late stage 360 is still 10 years ago, hence GTA5 hitting its 10th anniversary last month.

The last PS2 game also came out 10 years ago, Pro Evolution Soccer 2014.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just put $600 in my Steam wallet, I'm ready to grab one hopefully. Sadly, I have an all day work project that day, but I can sneak away around the time of the launch and try to order one.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is putting the money in your Steam Wallet the thing to do?

I'm just thinking what if there is a delay/issue in processing the credit card/paypal that results in me losing my space. Somewhat ridiculous I know, but wouldn't also be the first time it happened (lost an MSRP 3080 back in the bad days of GPU scalping due to that).

Nothing I can't afford, and I'll be selling my old SD with the 512gb drive installed for $300 which I don't see a problem in moving.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

Would preloading steam credit be the most painless way of trying to pay tomorrow in terms of not hitting snags like that?

Yep. Best way to add it is to download the Augmented Steam extension on your browser of choice, go to the steam website wallet and you can directly put in how much you want.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome bit of news, that project I thought was for tomorrow is actually 12-7, which means I might be in front of my wired pc for the noon cst release instead of trying to buy a steam deck on my phone over cell network.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Why do you goobers need an OLED screen to play vampire survivors and 30 year old console games

30 yr old seems too new, I'm gonna check out the Odyssey 2 retroarch cores on this thing, but in OLED.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

If it was just the OLED, I'd probably wait for Deck 2.0.

But the addition of the improved battery and slightly more efficient processor, meaning better battery life, is enough to push me towards it.

Plus a slightly larger screen, better wifi and bluetooth support, the fact that I could get over half of it subsidized by selling the old hardware (that I ended up paying only about $50 for out of pocket after trade in and gifts), not to mention the fact that I play it every day, makes it worth it for me.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bumhead posted:

The first thing I’m gonna play on this is Doom (1993)

Wonder if Doom (2016) could reach 90fps on this device.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Only two or so hours until the sale goes up, in front of my computer with no cases to run, $600 in my steam wallet, I'm ready.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
...and it's on fire. Hopefully fixed soon, glad I'm not trying to get it on a phone or something.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the 1tb model is purchaseable, but wait list stuff for the 512.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cutedge posted:

The 512 is sold out already?

lol loving christ

I don't think any have been sold. The website just can't handle the traffic now.

Got to the purchase for yourself screen, then it errored out

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Made it all the way to the address screen, getting closer....

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If I can just get through the payment screen....

Edit: It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I made it through, it told me my steam balance ($600) was too low and I'd have to pay 38 cents, then failed again. Made it through, my card declined the .38 charge, put an additional $5 on the account, then made it through!

512 OLED on the way.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 16, 2023