Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was excited to try Pacific Drive on my deck and it indeed runs like poo poo. Hopefully they put some work in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There is no substitute for Forza 4. It was the best there ever was and ever will be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it comes down to the fact that they had a patreon, and also are emulating a current system. Has Nintendo ever gone after Cemu or Dolphin? Maybe it wasn't as big of a priority since the Wii and WiiU are such unique systems that you're getting a watered down experience if you emulate, and the switch is pretty much a bog standard console for most games. I think it mostly comes down to the fact that the Yuzu people were taking money for it. Nintendo seems to look the other way up until the point that someone receives money when it should have gone to Nintendo. There are all those homebrew websites that tell you exactly how to hack every Nintendo system, but they don't take in any money for it, so Nintendo looks the other way. Team Xecuter made money off Switch mod chips and the guy went to jail.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nintendo very much does not look the other way if you're not taking money. See the way they nuked the fan-made Pokemon: Uranium.

Their stance is that you are only buying a license to play THAT copy of the game on specifically their hardware. Emphasis on "that" because they also hold that rom dumping for archival purposes is infringement as well.

From the Nintendo legal FAQ:

That's a fan game, not an emulator. And it is directly using their IP. Emulators are usually careful that they do not include any cryptographic keys or BIOS files or anything that is explicitly owned by Nintendo. Emulators also try to be on the right side of the law as possible by saying you need to extract the BIOS files from your own console and only play your own legally created game backups. Yuzu probably would have been fine if they didn't have that patreon.

I think that emulator that was trying to get on steam was taken down because they were including cryptographic keys. Though trying to put an emulator on steam is just asking for a bunch of idiots to flood the discussion boards with "HOW DO I PIRATE GAMES" posts that is just going to get Valve in trouble.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, OK, but look at the part I quoted from their legal faq where they flat out say that making a backup of your game is illegal. "Video games are comprised of numerous types of copyrighted works and should not be categorized as software only. Therefore, provisions that pertain to backup copies would not apply to copyrighted video game works"

Their stance is that doing anything but playing the single copy you purchased on hardware you purchased from them is illegal. Not against the terms that you clicked through, illegal.

Yeah, Nintendo says that because they don't want people doing anything other than playing Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles. And if their statement were the full truth, I'm sure they would have used that to remove all of their games from the internet archive by now, but I'm pretty sure they lost that fight. So I think the "video games are not software" argument is mostly their legal opinion that they state as fact on their own website.

I'm not saying that Nintendo is fully onboard with legal emulation, when they are clearly against it (even though they use the fruits of "illegal" emulation to do their own emulation). I'm just saying that Nintendo doesn't have the time to go after everyone. If you make an emulator that doesn't explicitly distribute data they own, and doesn't distribute their games, they are willing to mostly ignore it. The vast majority of their market is not using Dolphin or Cemu or Yuzu. But the second a dollar goes into someone else's hand that could have gone to Nintendo, they bring out the lawyers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BoldFace posted:

Looks like Citra (3DS emulator) is going down too. I'm not sure what was their relation with the Yuzu devs.

Apparently a big contributor to Yuzu is also a big contributor to Citra?

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/4/24090482/bunnei-confirms-yuzu-is-shutting-down-and-itll-hit-nintendo-3ds-emulator-citra-too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

This is especially annoying though, Nintendo for years has claimed their aggressive stance on their IP's was a result of the shovelware gaming crash of the 1980's. And for better or worse, they protected their IP for years and were incredibly selective with the games they allowed on their systems.
Now, boot up the Nintendo store and tell me 90% of those games aren't the definition of "shovelware". It's horseshit (and I don't particularly care about emulating Switch, I still buy all of the games I like from Nintendo and even subscribe to their lovely emulator service despite not touching it since I got my OLEDeck.

All you have to do is make one decent game and convince them to let it on the eshop. Then you can dump as much poo poo on there as you want.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I saw Doom 2016 on the "runs great on steam deck" page so I transferred it from my PC. It run ok I guess, but it takes about 10 minutes to load a map, and then half the textures never load. Then I go to play it on my PC and it changes my entire computer's resolution to 1280x800 and there's no way to access the games settings until you load a game. The main menu of the game is just advertisements for other games and then a a bit of text at the top for "campaign." Hard to believe this was once game of the year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The human eye can only see 256 colors.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think so. I made the mistake of downloading a big game to my deck when I also wanted it on my PC. It wouldn't let me transfer the files from my deck, so I'm currently transferring the game files to my PC from the SD card within a VM because they set the SD card to ext4 or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I see it now, it didn't say that before. I tried to install the game and it just said downloading. Now it says transferring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The dev of Small Radios Big Televisions put the game up for free on their website. No idea what the other devs will do.

https://fire-face.com/games/srbt.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

John DiFool posted:

*doesnt read anything from the walls of text from the last few pages*

*takes a huge rip from my decks vent*

Crank That starts playing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Just wanted to post an update to my "Deck performs better when plugged in" problem in case anyone else has it:

not sure if this is just a coincidence or not but I had a case that had a fan on it and when I took the fan off the problem went away. I dont have the tech knowledge to know if that actually was the problem or not but its all good now!!

Does it plug into the deck? It was probably drawing enough power that the deck had slow down the CPU and GPU and whatnot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

njsykora posted:

Yeah, Tale of Two Wastelands. One of the greatest mods ever made.

Just be aware that it takes about an hour to install.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn’t the 64gb version basically just a 64gb microSD card soldered onto a M.2 board?

I don't know if it's specifically that, but it is just some crappy flash memory on a board, not an actual SSD like the other versions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

excuse the dumb question im computer illiterate

when a game asks me to run 32 bit or 64 bit which one should I choose? (id ask what they mean too if its a simple explanation ik this isnt a computer thread)

What kind of game is it? If it's a simpler game that doesn't load a lot of game assets it probably doesn't matter. If it's a hardware intensive 3D game, probably better to do 64 bit. 32 bit vs 64 bit can mean several things, but the gist of it is how much memory can the program access. A 32 bit program can only access around 3GB of memory, whereas a 64 bit program can access much more. More memory = more things in the game can be loaded at once.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If you can find another laptop that’s as fast as an M3 Pro for half the price, please let me know.

Running what? A native arm program sure, but apparently running an x86 program kills all the benefits the apple CPUs have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wizard2 posted:

I played the now very much so ~Deck Verified~ Fallout 4 for one hour, on the Steam Deck!

even taking into account that this is indeed a game from 2015, after living in the world of Baldur's Gate 3 for months, the facial and body animations of Fallout 4 have me utterly shaken in a way I was completely unprepared for :whitewater:

Just imagine they are all synths.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Annath posted:

So I'm getting ready to follow the guide linked earlier to install New Vegas/mods on my Deck. However, one of the things it says to do is to install ModOrganizer (on windows) as a portable app. However, I already use MO, and it is not portable. Do I have to uninstall MO to reinstall it as portable?

I don't think it matters. When you create a new instance, you can choose to make it portable, and you can have one portable instance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm a gamer, I'm gonna use gamer words.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Faster bluetooth? That one goon is going to think the audio is happening before the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Sorry for doubling up. Grab this before it gets nintendo'd

Nintendo can't do anything if they aren't distributing Nintendo's IP. These things work by you legally acquiring your own ROM and then it reads the rom to create their version of the game. Like all those Mario rom hacks. They just give you a patch file, you have to get your own rom and run the patch program yourself.