Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Broadcast is live, fights should start soon.

CommonShore posted:

Uggghhhh I don’t wanna. But I will, because this is the exact kind of card that these posts are good for. So I’m going to break down Fight Night: Makachev vs Moises. Again, I listened to Jack Slack already this week, so I won’t be able to avoid having his analysis seep in, instead of the reverse, which is what usually happens Mr. Slack who I know is reading this because he’s secretly a goon.

All of this will be on ESPN/ESPN+

Main Card
Lightweight Islam Makhachev vs Thiago Moises
This is a lightweight Coming of Age story. Unfortunately, it should have happened on last week’s PPV where people would actually get to see the fighters, instead of on a card where nobody will. Though now they get a 5 round fight. This fight is an argument for making the prelim headliners 5 rounds. Do it, Dana. And pay me money for the idea and to be the UFC matchmaker. And quit your job and go away forever. See? I can’t even stay on topic with this card.

Makhachev is Khabib’s protégé and dietician. He’s like Khabib with a bit better striking, and a bit worse grappling. He has one career loss, getting clipped by Adriano Martins, who is a forgettable Brazilian kickboxer who actually can hit, so it’s essentially a puncher’s chance loss. His last fight he completely smeshed Drew Dober. Thiago Moises is the opposite of Drew Dober: a Brazilian who can grapple. His best UFC win is probably a cool achilles lock win over Michael Johnson, but he has beaten Bobby Green and Alexander Hernandez since then.

Bantamweight Marion Reneau vs Miesha Tate
mom fight mom fight Mom Fight Mom Fight MOM FIGHT MOM FIGHT! Actually it’s not that exciting. Reneau is at 44 the oldest woman ever to fight in the UFC at 44. She’s a gym teacher who has some decent wins in a long career but who is also on a 4 fight losing streak. She has never been finished. She mostly rassles and punches at people. Miesha Tate is only 34, but I think that still makes this the oldest women’s fight in UFC history. She’s the former champ and a major pioneer of the division, but she was also retired for 5 years doing ??? for ONE. She was mostly a wrestler too.

Lightweight Jeremy Stephens vs Mateusz Gamrot
Stephens is the most overrated KO artist in the game, because they call him that but he has like 6 finishes in 30 UFC fights. Last time out he didn’t even get out because he assaulted and injured his opponent at the weigh in. OH WELL. He’s on like a 5 fight winless streak. I really don’t hate him that much, but they should just permanently move him to #16 in the rankings and change his nickname to “The Gatekeeper.” Gamrot is a polish prospect who is 1-1 in the UFC. He TKOed Scott Holtzman in his last fight. Oh, he went 7 minutes against Garry Tonon at ADCC so he’s probably going to choke Stephens out unless he does something stupid and gets punched. Acually, Stephens is a competent counter wrestler. It’s almost as if this fight represents some kind of test and barrier to Gamrot’s future advancement in the division :thunk:

Middleweight Rodolfo Vieria vs Dustin Stolzfus
Viera is the greatest jiu jitsu guy ever. Or something. He also gassed like a chump in his last fight and got choked out by a purple belt. Stolzfus (I can’t type his name correctly even if I’m looking at it) is a DWCS guy who lost his debut to Kyle Daukaus. His record says “Grappler,” so this is probably an alley-oop for Vieria but maybe he’ll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again.

Yeesh.

:siren:Gabriel Benitez vs Billy Quarantillo
This fight should fukken rock. Benitez is a Mexican brawler from AKA who is said (by his coaches) to be p4p one of the hardest kickers in the sport, recently KOing Justin Jaynes in December. Billy Quarantillo is a good wrestler who has been in some fun as poo poo fights, too, coming off his first UFC loss, to Gavin Tucker.

Prelims
Welterweight Daniel Rodriguez vs Preston Parsons
Why isn’t Rodriguez getting a spotlight? He has wins over Mike Perry, Tim Means, and others. He’s a scary looking dude who punches people. Is there some other guy who looks like him, though, who has been also on a tear? Preston Parsons is a debuting late replacement with lots of strangles on his record, and an early career loss to Mike Perry.

Strawweight Amanda Lemos vs Montserrat “Conejo” Ruiz
Big Tatty Goth Girlfriend is back. Ruiz is a Mexican wrestler who won her last fight by scarf holding her opponent for 3 rounds and then getting into a yelling match afterwards. It owned. Before that she was lined up for an Invicta title shot. She has finished several fights from scarf, actually. Lemos is a Brazilian who is on a 3-fight streak, including a decision over Mizuki and a KO of Livinha Souza, which was pretty sweet actually. This might be good, or at least funny.

Bantamweight Khalid Taha vs Sergey Morozov
??? Taha is German and his only UFC win is a KO of Boston Salmon. Morozov is Kazakhstani and his only UFC bout is a loss to Umar Nurmagomedov, who is an undefeated uber prospect.

Bantamweight Miles Johns vs Anderson Dos Santos
??? Johns is a 11-1 / 2-1 UFC DWCS guy whose most recent win was a POTN KO of Kevin Natividad. Dos Santos is a 21-8 / 1-2 Brazilian with a loss to a guy named Nad

Flyweight Francisco Figueirdo vs Malcolm Gordon
Figgy “Thong Song” Smallser is Deivison’s younger brother. He’s 1-0 in the UFC with a decision win over Jerome Rivera, who we saw get his head twisted off last weekend. Gordon is a Canadian TKO guy, 0-2 UFC

Heavyweight Alan Baudot vs Rodrigo Nascimento
Nascimento is a DWCS guy who got KOed by Chris Daukaus in 45 seconds. Baudot is a French/Canadian (not French-Canadian) TKO guy who got into the UFC as a late replacement off of some strange DQ win and then got beaten up by Tom Aspinall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johns vs Dos Santos was scratched because someone got loving covid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well... that was certainly a fight involving two fighters, I guess.

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

Jerusalem posted:

Well... that was certainly a fight involving two fighters, I guess.

I think I would've rather watched him play Fortnite

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Gordon's cornerman found Conor's coke stash that was apparently left behind last week and is now on all of it at once, lmao.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Gordon's cornerman found Conor's coke stash that was apparently left behind last week and is now on all of it at once, lmao.

Too soon

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
By the end of the night the Gaethje Chiesa commercial will be played 6000 times

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What?

For real his cornerman was talking a million miles an hour, probably none of it got on the ESPN broadcast.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo Morozov's coach is talking to him in this amazing mix of mostly English, some Russian and some Judo terms.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

What?

For real his cornerman was talking a million miles an hour, probably none of it got on the ESPN broadcast.

His original coach who they were talking about at the beginning of the fight, Shawn Tompkins, was renowned for massive cocaine consumption and died young of a heart attack

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CommonShore posted:

His original coach who they were talking about at the beginning of the fight, Shawn Tompkins, was renowned for massive cocaine consumption and died young of a heart attack

Oh holy poo poo I had it muted between the fights and didn't hear any of that, I thought I was just making fun of Conor. gently caress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Oh holy poo poo I had it muted between the fights and didn't hear any of that, I thought I was just making fun of Conor. gently caress.

don't worry Shawn Thompkins died like 10 years ago

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Anyway this Morozov guy loving owns, I didn't expect him to speak English at all

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Lemos stop seemed a little early

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
yesss, a walid ismael promo.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

individual865 posted:

yesss, a walid ismael promo.

FIRST HOUND KNOCKOUCH, SHE WILL BE SHAMPION

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CommonShore posted:

I will forever have scorn in my heart for Shawn Tompkins for having Mark Coleman box against Randy Couture.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Quid posted:

Lemos stop seemed a little early

https://streamable.com/1dje62

Nah I don't think so. Her popping up and backing up she didn't seem like she knew where she was.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'm just kind of watching this out of the corner of my eye but

Brut posted:

Rodriguez...is a scary looking dude who punches people.

it's true! it's very true.

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Bryan "toxic relationship" Caraway

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember really disliking Benitez on TUF Latinamerica so I'm enjoying this on two levels.

I don't remember that many fights getting stopped in that position. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 18, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This is a great fight although both mens health bars are flashing DANGER rn

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

As advertised

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

all these fuckin modelo ads finally worked, i love coronas and now i wanna try one lol 👀

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lone Goat posted:

I will forever have scorn in my heart for Shawn Tompkins for having Mark Coleman box against Randy Couture.

oh no. as far as fight results go, that one hurt. anyone recall the total goon betting loss on that one?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Holy poo poo made it look easy

hrollins
May 20, 2003
LIke a hot knife through butter

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

rootin for meisha tonight, hopefully this isn't sad but it has the possibility to be sad for either fighter. i hope it's not sad.

i wonder what the record for highest combined age of fighters in the octagon is cause this is gonna be up there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I'm retired, don't be beating me up in here!" haha

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bellator about to get the hardest hitting 145er

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

rootin for meisha tonight, hopefully this isn't sad but it has the possibility to be sad for either fighter. i hope it's not sad.

i wonder what the record for highest combined age of fighters in the octagon is cause this is gonna be up there

I'm pretty sure this is the record for UFC at least. Bellator has had quite a few fights with guys who have been long out of the UFC for name value, so maybe they have a 40+ year old vs 40+ year old fight.

I'm also rooting for Miesha tonight, but I have a bad feeling this could be a sad one to watch. Hope I'm wrong.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the record for UFC at least. Bellator has had quite a few fights with guys who have been long out of the UFC for name value, so maybe they have a 40+ year old vs 40+ year old fight

I mean Oleinik fought Werdum last year, in UFC, just for example. Also Oleinik vs Overeem was up there, as was Oleinik vs Hunt before that.

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 18, 2021

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Bellator has had quite a few fights with guys who have been long out of the UFC for name value, so maybe they have a 40+ year old vs 40+ year old fight.

Werdum vs Oleynik last year in the UFC was 42 vs 43. Roy Nelson vs Crocop in Bellator in 2018 has that slightly beat at 42 vs 44.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the record for UFC at least. Bellator has had quite a few fights with guys who have been long out of the UFC for name value, so maybe they have a 40+ year old vs 40+ year old fight.

I'm also rooting for Miesha tonight, but I have a bad feeling this could be a sad one to watch. Hope I'm wrong.

I assume Bellator putting Royce and Ken back in the cage in 2016 holds a normal promotion record for oldest mans fight.

Coleman vs Couture might be up there for UFC

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i recall meisha's 5th round submission of holly holm being one of the hypest things i've ever seen in this sport, too bad she had to catch Nunes' hands right afterward

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have never seen someone so happy to be in there

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

I assume Bellator putting Royce and Ken back in the cage in 2016 holds a normal promotion record for oldest mans fight.

Coleman vs Couture might be up there for UFC

Yeah drat, Coleman vs Couture was 45 vs 47 and was a fight between real fighters with recent wins over relevant opponents. That would be tough to beat for a real fight. Gracie vs Shamrock in 2016, which I did not know happened, is a gross joke fight.

Edit: That said Shamrock vs Gracie had a combined age of 101 :psyduck:

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 18, 2021

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ty for informing us meisha is still breastfeeding

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Honestly I was sitting here wondering if she got a boob job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

beep by grandpa posted:

it was worth it for the fifteen seconds of awkward silence from the commentary team afterwards