Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omobono posted:

I mean, early days I should go ultimate because the noise would drop like flies otherwise and I've got a pin that can build 150% grove off a single good combo so healing shouldn't be a problem outside of one shots. loving sharks
I'll do some testing while farming food I think; does jinxed metabo affect everyone's attack or only who has it equipped?

Relatedly, would another day unlock (implied story spoilers) a new old party member?

Yup, and they’ve gotten a pretty decent stat boost as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yes, better than the others you have at that point stat wise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

Ugh, whoever designed that final boss needs to take a long walk off a short pier. It was not difficult, it was freaking unreadable. A lot of fights really would have benefited from fixed cameras.

Time to revisit everything. What's the best way to do scrambles, drop down to easy/normal and chain 1 scramble noise at a time with 14 to 19 normal symbols?

Go Ultimate mode, do what you said otherwise, BUT equip the best single target L/R moves you have, the points noise give are influenced heavily by how hard the killing blow overkill’s them so you wanna do half their HP in a single Grave Marker/flying kick after whittling them away with normal stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

You do have to swap out one of your party members in order to use them though (I’d recommend dumping whoever has the lowest stats at the time, any clothes or pins said dropped character had equipped will automatically be transferred over to the new one).

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah I instantly dumped Fret, eventually I'll get those pin mutations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FireWorksWell posted:

Bold assumption.

My Fret was much bigger than Sho by the time I picked him up. Thanks for that, Scramble Slam.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Last Celebration posted:

Go Ultimate mode, do what you said otherwise, BUT equip the best single target L/R moves you have, the points noise give are influenced heavily by how hard the killing blow overkill’s them so you wanna do half their HP in a single Grave Marker/flying kick after whittling them away with normal stuff.

It's not just the killing blow, every beatdrop combo you do gives points based on the damage of the pin you used.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Supremezero posted:

Bold assumption.

My Fret was much bigger than Sho by the time I picked him up. Thanks for that, Scramble Slam.

Fair enough, I did my scrambles after I got Ultimate. Less painful, but still Scramble Slam.

I'm curious what sets people go for in end-game, I'm mid-80s right now and I've mastered most of the pins I have in my inventory.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kin posted:

The main reason it's taking that long is because of all the loading which goes back to my earlier post about the quality of the game. For something with so few assets and complexity, just why is there so much loading for everything?

Having to decrypt everything on PC doesn’t help. But everything is more complicated than it looks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Fair enough, I did my scrambles after I got Ultimate. Less painful, but still Scramble Slam.

I'm curious what sets people go for in end-game, I'm mid-80s right now and I've mastered most of the pins I have in my inventory.

I’m still mostly leveling stuff but the mutated water black hole pin is crazy good, huge AOE and sets the enemy up perfectly for grenade and most other crowd control in general. I guess you’d wanna cycle it out for a psychic shotgun for bosses though. Ive been using the force round pin with HP Vampire II but I’ll probably slot that out for something else eventually.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Once you've got that skill when you look at a pin it will show if it can evolve further and who it needs to be on to mutate. It will show this for maxed out pins as well even though you won't be able to mutate them but it will at least tell you what pins you need to grab copies of.

Well yeah that's all well and good. But again. How can you tell if it's a failed evolution?

It doesn't tell you what it'll evolve into in that screen.

They only place I've seen that info ingame is during the actual evolution itself. If it evolves into something named, you already have it. If it's question marks you don't.

Unless there's something on missing from the collections screen I'd have to use a guide to make sure I don't waste time doing pins I already evolved.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Standard evolutions go into the next pin #ID from what I've seen, I'm going to assume mutations do too without the ability to check right now.

Translation: either there are exceptions and we're fully hosed, or we're just half hosed by needing to go into the pin compendium every time to see if the next #ID is already known for each evolving pin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What do you mean by failed evolution? Even when you can't mutate a pin because it's already max level and was on the wrong character it's entry on the collection screen should still show which character that pin would need to be in for a mutation. You'll just need to grab an extra copy to use because you can't evolve a maxxed out one.

I've got the game in front of me and I can see it telling me who my maxxed out Jupiter Of the Monkey II needs to be on to evolve further. This is info the game shows once you get that social skill.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 11, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Evolutions are the next numbered pin but mutations are not.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unless that's only true for half of them I don't think that's the case. I've only got half the pins but every mutation I do have is the next numbered pin from what it evolved from.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Huh. I had a few that mutated to a lower numbered pin and kinda figured they all did that.

It makes me nostalgic for the nightmare that was the TWEWY classic evolution charts:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Unless that's only true for half of them I don't think that's the case. I've only got half the pins but every mutation I do have is the next numbered pin from what it evolved from.

It’s like half of them, pins are organized partly by elemental affinity so some of the mutations like the sound bomb jump around in the collection because they change affinity on mutation. Also you might wanna change your previous post, the game does a pretty solid job of not making it obvious who’s gonna be playable even if it’s not hard to guess a lot of people are gonna come back.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

It’s like half of them, pins are organized partly by elemental affinity so some of the mutations like the sound bomb jump around in the collection because they change affinity on mutation. Also you might wanna change your previous post, the game does a pretty solid job of not making it obvious who’s gonna be playable even if it’s not hard to guess a lot of people are gonna come back.

Yeah you're right. That totally slipped my mind.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i just got to day 7 and man this game loving owns.
kinda bummed that on day 6 i got 20k out of the 60k(?) required to get Just Keep Swimmin. i thought i was doing alright, dang!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah I instantly dumped Fret, eventually I'll get those pin mutations.

What the gently caress

Then again I dropped Shoka and I felt really guilty because she rules as a character.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was so hopped up on fancy curries and beef bowls by the time I hit post-game that it wasn't worth swapping in the bonus character. He just wasn't as strong as the team I already had.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What the gently caress

Then again I dropped Shoka and I felt really guilty because she rules as a character.

I like all the party members but Fret was my lowest statwise.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
If you wanna talk pure endgame efficiency, Fret's also the worst character, in my opinion. Not by a significant margin, just slightly less optimal than the others.

Doesn't have ATK Boost IV access (only Beat (35%), Neku (40%), and Minamimoto (50%) do), and the weakest set of beatdrop double SN abilities.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ll probably swap out the postgame character for their pin mutations at some point but man he does not make himself super endearing post W1D7 except for being a chuuni rear end tryhard cool guy.

Sho kinda feels like wasted potential, like I like having Chill Neku on the team since he’s deliberately a nearly different character but Sho himself kinda seemed to genuinely enjoy being around for most of the first week cause it takes him a while to even figure out that there’s weird time noise poo poo going on with Rindo for his master plan so it wouldn’t be impossible to just have him join for real after his boss fight cause that’s basically what he does in the last day.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, after all this time to hype him up, he barely has any presence this game. I can get fearing that the original TWEWY version of him was a “lightning in the bottle” moment that would have been a tough act to follow up on in the sequel. But at the same time, he ends the game at almost the exact same place that he started at characterization-wise, aside from some vague hints that he’s mellowed out from constantly plotting to overthrow Josh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game's got a bit of a problem where it has a lot of cool characters with strong personalities that don't really have enough of a role or enough screentime to really be explored much beyond being funny or charismatic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The game's got a bit of a problem where it has a lot of cool characters with strong personalities that don't really have enough of a role or enough screentime to really be explored much beyond being funny or charismatic.

Haz is like Kaworu Nagisa: only shows up close to the very end, barely has any screen time even then… and is still vitally important to the entire story.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Regalingualius posted:

Haz is like Kaworu Nagisa: only shows up close to the very end, barely has any screen time even then… and is still vitally important to the entire story.

What do we call Josh then

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Manga Kaworu :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Supremezero posted:

An rear end in a top hat

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Larryb posted:

An rear end in a top hat

Gotta love what they did at the end. (massive spoilers obv)

Shoka: I'm fine with getting erased
Josh: No that's dumb back to the RG with you
Rindo: Hold on there's hundreds of thousands people in Shibuya where did you send her?
Josh: That's your problem not mine, better get searching

:allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

Gotta love what they did at the end. (massive spoilers obv)

Shoka: I'm fine with getting erased
Josh: No that's dumb back to the RG with you
Rindo: Hold on there's hundreds of thousands people in Shibuya where did you send her?
Josh: That's your problem not mine, better get searching

:allears:

Let’s be honest now, that poo poo’s at least partially on Rindo for not checking his messages, if Joshua was on his old bullshit he would have just deleted all her messages to him.

I think Rindo might be the stupidest member of the Wicked Twisters tbh, which is quite a harrowing thought. Still love him though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Last Celebration posted:

Let’s be honest now, that poo poo’s at least partially on Rindo for not checking his messages, if Joshua was on his old bullshit he would have just deleted all her messages to him.

I think Rindo might be the stupidest member of the Wicked Twisters tbh, which is quite a harrowing thought. Still love him though.

(ending spoilers)
Let's be honest, it's quite clear* that after a couple weeks Reapers decided to get matters into their own hands and used the Game and the current batch of players to make sure those two would meet (via Imprinting and the like, players better get creative) because there's rules and they couldn't simply grab Rindo by his neck and drag him to Shoka, goddammit check your mail you idiot your girlfriend is trying to contact you.
*source: my rear end but it would make sense

Unrelated clarification: a perk of being a Reaper is that you can cross back to the RG in your spare time, right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Omobono posted:

(ending spoilers)
Let's be honest, it's quite clear* that after a couple weeks Reapers decided to get matters into their own hands and used the Game and the current batch of players to make sure those two would meet (via Imprinting and the like, players better get creative) because there's rules and they couldn't simply grab Rindo by his neck and drag him to Shoka, goddammit check your mail you idiot your girlfriend is trying to contact you.
*source: my rear end but it would make sense

Unrelated clarification: a perk of being a Reaper is that you can cross back to the RG in your spare time, right?

Yeah, Uzuki (mostly) jokingly wonders about crossing over to “create more players”, 777 is a rockstar in his spare time, and Sho’s original plan was to murder the Composer in the RG, under the thinking that they would both be fully depowered there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Bread Liar
When do you unlock the social links for Shiba and Kanon so you can equip extra uber pins? Only being able to equip one through half the game sucks.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Louisgod posted:

When do you unlock the social links for Shiba and Kanon so you can equip extra uber pins? Only being able to equip one through half the game sucks.

IIRC you get two other Uber unlocks from sidequests before Kanon finally links from plot. Shiba links like 5 minutes before the final boss.

Uh, by the way, start saving 13 FP when approaching endgame, that's what ultimate difficulty and boss noise symbols spawning cost in total.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Bread Liar
Great thanks, had a feeling I was still a little ways off (week 2, day 4), and good to know about keeping 13 FP in reserve.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1457776195160854530?s=21

:yeshaha:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Holy poo poo

(spoilers: literally the opening cutscene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBNmJlaHw8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1463349075139518471?s=20

Making mistakes is proof that you challenged :smith: