Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

TWEWY is probably my favourite game ever. It was the first game to ever make me cry, but I was in middle school so it was perfect timing lmao. I just replayed it on an emulator to prep for this game's release and man does it need the touch screen tho
I'm so glad they made a sequel, but I'm also so glad they didn't botch the sequel, i was so scared they'd Kingdom Hearts it up and bog it down with weird plot bullshit, especially without the constraint of 'DS Cart storage size'
This game is definitely not the original but that's ok it's still really good. Compared to surprise here's a partner, learn how everything works through several battles in the original, hi here's many many text bubbles explaining everything in the new game doesn't seem as immediately engaging, and i wonder what it's like for a new player to go through all that. The battle system is really fun though!! 'Breaking Free' reminds me of being an angsty emo kid in all the best ways.
Also I would die for Fret

see y'all in a few weeks when i finish the main plot. I'm only on Week 2 and I don't want to spoil myself too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I would argue that the best part about the Kingdom Hearts series is the plot that gets more and more convoluted and absurd with each installment. It’s like a train wreck that never ends.

Does that just make it harder and harder for new players to jump in with each installment though?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ugh I thought the switch addition was just bonus content. Square enix truly cannot stop being square enix for even a second

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Holy poo poo Shoka please just understand the point I'm trying to make about Ayano. Like I think I like the time travelling more than most but this sucks

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Rea posted:

It's an Epic Store exclusive, in case you forgot.

I mean, most of the time I forget the Epic Store exists, period.

I'm at the fight with the plague noise inside kanons head and I have such big emotions!!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'm currently in the middle of Final Day Prime Prime and Jesus christ its so long. It's sooooo long you guys

It's 3am and I have feelings.

Maybe the very end, which I've not hit yet, will turn me around on it but man I think I'm disliking this ending. Having the entire old cast show up has kind of crowded things. Sure rindo is still important bc time travel and later, survivors guilt poo poo, but everyone else is just in the background. The grown ups are here to take care of things I guess

Getting all that plot poo poo dumped at the end has been pretty unsatisfying too. Shiba and hishima being buds? Angels? Executors? Was any of this alluded to before right now? I guess we got a lot of 'Shiba changed' and then a sole 'Shiba must be lonely' but man idk I guess I dislike learning too much new information in the final hour

It's cool how the noise multiply every time rindo turns back time for a better result. I'm glad the game is taking a solid position on save scumming.

The bit with Haz I did enjoy, even though I was skeptical about a new character getting introduced this late, at first. I was totally braced that that guy to be Joshua bc why the hell not, everyone else is here. It did do an alright job of conveying the empty feeling of going places associated with loss though. It got to me

TWEWY ends on Neku not understanding Joshua but trusting him anyway, right? One final trust your partner also your partner is Literally God? Fret and nagi's powers are observable. From the gangs perspective, rindos powers are unproven other than he's right all the time and more powerful characters can testify to them. That's a big amount of trust too and while maybe I just powered past it and forgot something I guess I'm surprised this game hasn't really explored that theme more. Not that it had to, I guess? It is in fact a different game. I did enjoy the contrast in Neku & CAT vs Rindo & an0ther though. It almost calls out the previous game in that regard.

All these teenagers are gonna need so much therapy.

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 25, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Josh shows up and is like 'let's celebrate this chance encounter with a little game' and I was immediately like 'if it's fuckin tin pin slammer I swear to god-'

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I need an adult Shooter Dan, God dammit

Anyway I finished the main plot and I'm glad Rindos Group got one more application of their powers, although nagis 'negative imagination' getting immediately swept away was like 'oh..... Ok'

The boss fight was very fun and getting some character development mid fight was nice.

I'll have more thoughts after some Processing but I do agree that fret and beat were great.

This game kind of reminds me of Digimon Adventure 02.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Twewys Another Day had them all obsessed with tin pin so if this games Another Day doesn't have them all as elestra lore experts imma riot

That or fango

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Same in that it's better than the original

Now we just need a third iteration where all the main cast has played award winning game The World Ends With You on their Nintendo Switches

e: and the government gets involved

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

god dammit

e: does the government get involved in kingdom hearts???

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just got this game from my brother but I can't remember a single thing from the first game, I played it over ten years ago. Its insane they released such a direct sequel to such an old game. I guess I gotta watch the anime.

The new main cast also have no idea what's going on, which tries to operate as an audience surrogate for new players, but I'm not sure how well it works. I love the first game and replayed it in preparation for this one, but I still wish they'd kept the setting and format but otherwise told a completely separate story.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love both soundtracks, but I felt surprised in a bad way by the NEO Mix versions of the OG tracks, even with the remix effort the vibe just felt dated against the rest of bright and shiny 2021 shibuya.
(tbf, some of the new battle songs felt misplaced too despite ruling when listened to on their own) (I think this might actually have more to do with how the new shibuya is drawn and lit at least in the earlier weeks)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Larryb posted:

Both soundtracks are great in my opinion but personally I feel like TWEWY had the better ending theme.

Rockin Rockin Live Ver owns tho

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I ended up brute forcing it 😅 I didn't get the perfect answers but good enough

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love Shiba. He's so easy to hate, just a really great villain

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Omobono posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked by 10-chain reductions.
I love it.

E: and Fret is simply rocking his Gothic Princess outfit.

My boys were walking around in goth dresses, clown wigs, and moccasins for so long, it ruled

I love that the pool floatie ring counts as pants

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I missed the part where the killer remix heals at first and was loading up on healing pins, sacrificing attacks, towards the end. Realizing it also heals changed everything

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Holy poo poo

(spoilers: literally the opening cutscene)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBNmJlaHw8

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lmao Twitter anime av people never change

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i didn't get a screencap but in the replies someone linked a fan mod in the works to 'fix' the translation and it simply looked blander
some people truly don't understand what localization is

was the original even a chud favourite or do these people just only know that screenshot

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 27, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Breaking Free (Acoustic Ver.) preview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTg0wHb1mSI

Personally, i'm cry

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1551945491809591296?t=9lumkAvtxL9Rtx0G4r4DAw&s=19

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I know I only heard about the original from fuckin x-play covering it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/TWEWY_PR/status/1582772849160224773?t=Cu36X4-ihqM8mOwDVM1neA&s=19

New official art for the steam release too!