Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Listerine posted:

Like 5 posts up Queeb says he's using Eryone PLA.
And previously iiidmax (switched for cost afaik, not quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I think iiidmax was too much to get into Canada and pay duty on.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah just a pain in the rear end getting across the border with it

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This silly thing from a couple years ago

Javid posted:

Adapter for my DSLR to use my telescope as a lens

ft. fine focus adjustment knob mod

put in work today

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Well. The little red light we saw wasn't a valley.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh wow!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That first pic has a sunspot in it that NASA would be proud to have captured.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh wow, those are cool as hell.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Would it be possible to get the files for that telescope mount thing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is the weird pesudo line/hole effect here from being too low on my z offset? This is the bed side with a textured plate. I’ve been trying to dial things in a bit more and I noticed that if I go lower the print lines on the “top” of the piece look a bit “mushy” and seem to have inconsistent density, see:

(It’s a pain to get a good shot when in motion but you get the idea.)

Edit: It may bear mentioning that I'm putzing around with .16mm layer height instead of the usual .2. I think my Ender 3 S1 can handle that but I really ought to go check.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 9, 2024

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

hark posted:

Would it be possible to get the files for that telescope mount thing?

I wouldn't mind sharing them when I get home, with no promises on how they fit any other scope than the random one I have

bird food bathtub posted:

That first pic has a sunspot in it that NASA would be proud to have captured.

Sadly, that is probably lens dirt since it's only in that photo. I did get some spots though

mewse
May 2, 2006

Warbird posted:

Is the weird pesudo line/hole effect here from being too low on my z offset?

Yes

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adding to this. If you see that scalloped/scale effect, it's from being too low.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Adding to this. If you see that scalloped/scale effect, it's from being too low.

Just to clarify you mean the whole business in the second picture?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Warbird posted:

Just to clarify you mean the whole business in the second picture?

Both pictures. The first shows the scale-like texture of the bottom layer, and the second shows the plastic scalloping/scaling up because the nozzle is dragging through it.

https://imgur.com/a/5ACBPFI

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I just got a new puppy. Is PLA toxic?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don’t feed plastic to your dog

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Don’t feed plastic to your dog

I'm more worried about her chewing on prints when I'm not looking.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Less "toxic" and more "will put off lots of sharp slivers when chewed".

Think "perforated esophagus/intestine".

Just like any other plastic objects in your home :v:

Childproof your home to keep the puppy safe

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Honestly I would probably worry more about her chewing it into sharp little shreds which cut up her insides than PLA toxicity. Either way, try not to leave anything chewable, printed or otherwise, within puppy reach.

(Everything is chewable. Based on the last puppy we had, this includes:

An entire pizza, box included.
Chair legs.
People legs.
Our baseboard molding, somehow?
Food.
Food bowl.
Mat food bowl sat on.
Kids toys.
Half of a couch.)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

kid sinister posted:

I mean she shouldn’t do that because it might cause intestinal blockages just like any solid object if she eats it but no, PLA is not toxic in and of itself.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Don't give her the opportunity, so that question is better asked here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471773

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Warbird posted:

Is the weird pesudo line/hole effect here from being too low on my z offset? This is the bed side with a textured plate. I’ve been trying to dial things in a bit more and I noticed that if I go lower the print lines on the “top” of the piece look a bit “mushy” and seem to have inconsistent density, see:

(It’s a pain to get a good shot when in motion but you get the idea.)

Edit: It may bear mentioning that I'm putzing around with .16mm layer height instead of the usual .2. I think my Ender 3 S1 can handle that but I really ought to go check.

That top layer surface looks like you’re underextruding a bit.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Finally had an excuse to try out fuzzy skin. It's part of a self watering plant pot I'm designing for a promotional item. I might dial the effect down a little more but I'm quite pleased and it holds water.

Javid posted:

This silly thing from a couple years ago

put in work today

This is sick as gently caress.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

That top layer surface looks like you’re underextruding a bit.

Huh, thanks for letting me know. I just cancelled the job and pulled these off so I’m hoping that is most of it but I’ll add that to the list of things to look into. I’ve been meaning to poke at some mild stringing I’ve been seeing but it may make more sense to poke at that first.

To that end, is there a 3D printer version of this?:

It occurs to me that I don’t even know what a “good” print even looks like. “Sticks to the plate” and “in generally the right shape” have been my targets so far.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Warbird posted:

There are a few sites like this:

https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/print-quality-troubleshooting/

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Perfect, thank you.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Warbird posted:

Huh, thanks for letting me know. I just cancelled the job and pulled these off so I’m hoping that is most of it but I’ll add that to the list of things to look into. I’ve been meaning to poke at some mild stringing I’ve been seeing but it may make more sense to poke at that first.

It occurs to me that I don’t even know what a “good” print even looks like. “Sticks to the plate” and “in generally the right shape” have been my targets so far.

https://www.billieruben.info/post/my-3d-printing-posters-1

https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any advice for flexible SLA resins for a first time user?

I want to print a handful of commodity fairing grommets that are annoyingly specific from BMW for my bike, as well as a few other rubber-ish screw covers -- all non-critical, but if I'm going to spend the hundred bucks it'll all cost from the OEM dealer I might as well say I tried to do it myself first.

Everything will be printed in its final form, so no stretching or anything. The fairing grommets are arguably the only things that really "need" to be from a flexible material since they have to at least pretend to retain a plastic peg that you insert.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Siraya Tech is probably gonna be a good user friendly option. Tenacious flex is 70A but if you want to make it stiffer you just mix it with plain tenacious.

The only gotcha I know you already alluded to: poo poo needs to be printed in it's final shape/form. Everything else is just like printing normal SLA. Use as few supports as you can get away with.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hello! My prints have been failing alot recently, and I'm hoping its not time to get a new printer. My Mono X is three years old. I have a vat band and the resin was right around 32 degrees Celsius. I'm going to post my settings and the most recent failure to see if anyone here has any ideas. TIA

Wangsucker 69 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 10, 2024

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Hello! My prints have been failing alot recently, and I'm hoping its not time to get a new printer. My Mono X is three years old. I have a vat band and the resin was right around 32 degrees Celsius. I'm going to post my settings and the most recent failure to see if anyone here has any ideas. TIA

How is you FEP film looking? Also how old is your resin?

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

deimos posted:

How is you FEP film looking? Also how old is your resin?

Resin is a couple months old, the FEP is new, I’m wondering if I have it too tight or loose?

When I changed it I used a Gatorade cap under the FEP, I read somewhere that would help from over tightening.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Quoting so I can find this later. These look excellent.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Anyone own or used an FLSUN printer? Just saw the v400 for the first time and it looks neat. Different design that I'm used to seeing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wangsucker 69 posted:

:yeeclaw:

Can't be 100% certain seeing it from this angle but it looks like every print across the plate is failing at one height. Is there something going on at that specific elevation? The bases look good, the first few layers go on, the supports are there, and then bam, failure across the entire plate. When this happens I assume you are left with puddles on the FEP from the rest of the print exposing over and over but not being connected? That's what I would expect if there was for some reason one layer across the entire plate that doesn't form properly. I wouldn't immediately be suspecting the FEP, it seems to be printing well enough on the first few layers. I'd be looking at the Z screw, or maybe the USB is corrupted, or something is shaking the entire table? Something that effects the entire plate all at one time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've just discovered that on one of my ender 3s, the x/y axes are at more like 91 or 92 degrees to one another than 90. Naturally I discovered this by printing two 15 hour parts covering the full bed that are supposed to clamshell into one another (a lid and a base), only to discover that they are ever so slightly trapezoidal. The y-axis is the one that is off, I can tell with a set of 123-blocks, and getting to the bolts requires that I get under the print bed. Yay!

It's going to stay like this for a few weeks until I have a chunk of open weekend time for partial disassembly, at which point I may do a few other things to it as well while it's torn down. I have a BL-touch I've been meaning to install.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Hey, anyone here know anyone who sells 3d printing services using flex resin or using resione resin? I'm looking to print some things for action figure customs but do not have access to a printer. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

MooselanderII posted:

Hey, anyone here know anyone who sells 3d printing services using flex resin or using resione resin? I'm looking to print some things for action figure customs but do not have access to a printer. Thanks.

You're better off, most likely, trying to find a company to print sls TPU for you.