Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

csammis posted:

--- This post reserved for 3D printer recommendations ---

Can you afford a Prusa? Get a Prusa
If not, Can you wait two months for a Prusa mini? Get a Prusa mini.
If not, can you swing an Ender3 pro? Get an ender3 pro
If not, get an Ender3

I think that is the complete newbie rundown for FDM at least

For resin it’s like uh
“Pick the one that looks the coolest from the Elegoo, Photon, Phrozen lineup”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I am a bold and risky man and have been doing most of my resin work with only one glove on

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

BMan posted:

do not attempt to create 3D printable models with sketchup

As someone who learned sketchup because woodworking and refuses to learn a second program

Jesus Christ do not learn sketchup

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

same goddamn results with glue, and now i got that to clean off the loving bed.

Print this and adjust z until you’re within like 0.01 tolerance

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25261-first-layer-calibration-test

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

Okay, so my calipers only go to .1 increments, but I printed that and got
0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm thick. ie -.1 the whole way across except layer 1, meaning i'm a tad too close?

averaging that out we get -0.08. My sheet profile is currently at -0.850, so i'd want to tweak to what, -.780ish?

am i parsing this right mentally?

That’s right, yeah
And then repeat

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There is a plug-in for octoprint that will give you a nice 3d render of how out of level your bed is

Bed Visualizer, maybe?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I think this winter I am going to finally pull the trigger and get into 3D printing. I'm mostly aiming to produce fairly simple stuff for personal use in woodworking and small electronics (jigs, dust management parts, enclosures, etc.) I'm proficient in Blender and Sketchup (for what that's worth), but should I be setting time/money aside from eg. Fusion 360 or Solidworks?

I'm sure F360/Solidworks is better for 3D printing, but I'd rather not learn another piece of software. Is there anything significant in those that Blender doesn't have that would make it worth the investment?

Fwiw, I use sketchup because I didn’t want to learn another piece of software. I’m able to do some basic bits and boxes and even a couple of neat things, but trust me you want a much much better tool for the job.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Putty posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a transparent colorless PLA? Working on a project where I'll need to light up small parts from behind with LEDs. Been looking at comparisons on Greybeard3D but am indecisive on it. A bit of fogginess is ok.

You’re going to do a lot better with PETG over PLA for one
Max infill or 0 infill, minimum layer height, there’s a lot of small things that add up

Here’s a video from prusa!

https://youtu.be/SmbAlTxLbg0

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have been experimenting with adding glitter mica into resin and the answer to "how much glitter mica can you add to resin before your prints fail" is "not very much, turns out"

but UV glowing mica? go fuckin ham you can add that poo poo for days

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

Is there any sort of iridescent compound or dye I can add to a clear resin? It should look like synthwave and vaporwave threw up.

My white whale is the Promare burnish flame effect without any sort of post processing

If you want to get cool swirly effects, you’re out of luck. The build plate will just agitate whatever into a smooth brew

However, basically any fluorescent mica powder you can find on Amazon can be mixed in to reasonable results

E: or alcohol inks if you’re just looking for a specific color resin

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

You can turn on the heat while it's printing. Also don't use a lighter, us a heat gun for getting rid of stringing.

Also I had my first ever PLA blob build up on the MK3+ hot end, and while cleaning it I managed to break the thermistor wire. :doh:

Welp, I guess I have to remember how to take the hot end apart again, unless someone has an easier way. It doesn't look very accessible like the Ender hot end.

I have blobbed up my hot end so many dang time
And the first time I just called it a wash and tore the entire thing apart to get it out and clean it

And then later I stumbled on this guide from prusa which has been invaluable

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/guide/how-to-replace-a-ptfe-tube-mk3s-mk2-5s-mmu2s_21664

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

Friend, I live in Florida. The heat gets turned on one day a year to burn the dust off.

Yeah, unfortunately i'd absolutely want that iridescent shimmer:

our current solution is to print in clear/transparent and then put colored lights inside

So something that you could potentially do maybe hypothetically
Is print a perfectly clear model, hollowed, clean and cure it, and then slowly fill it with different colored resins, curing them individually as you go

This is a pretty neat idea and I may actually gently caress around with it

Or you could add different colored resins to your vat as it prints to get a cool gradient as it prints, I’ve definitely seen some YouTubers do that (maybe Billie Rubens?)

e:
approximate timestamp here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNgtWLBs4tc&t=620s

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

to each point:
1) wouldn't this use a ton of resin, weigh a ton, and not cure the center fully?

I've got a new resin printer with a clean vat showing up later today so we're gonna fuckin find out

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

Could I just add fine iridescent glitter, or would that gently caress up the print (and potentially the vat)?

The short answer is "no"
the long answer is "well, kinda"

I'm loving around with glitter right now, and there's a fine balance of getting it to glitter and having the prints succeed.
All the mica glitter I'm using is, I guess? heavier than the resin, so it slowly sinks to the bottom of the vat, and once parts of the print get a bit too thick, they just pop off the supports, no matter how many I add
(This is a working theory right now. I just did 6 identical prints with no issues, added more glitter, 3 failures deep)

Fortunately this means that I can just kind of dredge the glitter from the bottom of the vat without having to completely toss the whole batch
Or if I pout the vat out most of the glitter stays behind and I can just clean that out separately and put the glitter back in

Billie Ruben and Zach Friedman seem to get really good results with glitter mica that I just can't quite replicate

Other mica powder seems to work just fine though, I've been running off UV-glow prints with no issue

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Just got a Mars 2 and I’m like 8 failed rook prints in

The print is sticking to the bed just fine, but after the first 1/4” or so new layers don’t adhere to the rest of the print, so I’ve got a quarter inch of sort of a rook and a nice little impossible to scrape blob on the FEP

I’ve rehomed it like five times, and I wouldn’t think that’s the issue given it’s sticking to the bed. Any suggestions?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Just got a Mars 2 and I’m like 8 failed rook prints in

The print is sticking to the bed just fine, but after the first 1/4” or so new layers don’t adhere to the rest of the print, so I’ve got a quarter inch of sort of a rook and a nice little impossible to scrape blob on the FEP

I’ve rehomed it like five times, and I wouldn’t think that’s the issue given it’s sticking to the bed. Any suggestions?

Note that I did not mention: I was using transparent resin
I put a bit of grey in it and ran off another rook before bed to complete success

woo.

Given that it works with an opaque resin but not transparent, what should I do? Turn up layer exposure time?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Any time a print fails completely on an entire non-base layer (as in, the entire layer doesn't print) it is almost always a USB/file-related issue. Once you get the base layers sticking to the build plate, each successive layer is curing to the previous. This resin-on-resin bond is super strong and there's no way the current layer can stay stuck on the FEP when the top of it is welded to the previous layer. The USBs that come with the machines are super cheap and fail often. I have more than 10 of the elegoo USBs and just ended up buying new ones since those failed so often for me.

I don't understand why changing the resin made it work for you, unless you resliced the file you were printing?

100% just added a bit of grey into the vat of clear and hit print.
Still had a tiny bit of "delamination" (not the right word for resin printing, I suppose) on part of the rook, and my wash station covered them in glitter (I need to clean that alcohol out wow) but otherwise yeah, two successful rooks, with no change other than resin.

e: actually maybe soaking a print in an alcohol/glitter slurry is the way to achieve the glitter print effect I've been looking for

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Serenade posted:

Also, I don't like posting only failures or troubleshooting. I did use the last scraps of the Elegoo resin on this gummi venus de milo I need to clean up.

It's such an obvious thing to print as soon as you get translucent green

now that I'm mixing my own colors I should really do one in a more show-accurate light green

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Just spent several hours trying to clean out my wash alcohol before realizing I was stressing over like $4 of new alcohol

Cool.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Just let it sit for 3 weeks. It should settle out. If that doesn’t work put it in a transparent container you don’t care about, leave it in the sun for a few hours, THEN let it sit three weeks. Crack open the hardened resin and it should be pretty clean inside (abut it will smell terrible).

Put it in several mason jars and ran it through my cure station and filtered out all the goop

But it was just a long and tedious and messy process and sucked and whatever just bought new alcohol and then I'll toss the old alcohol in the sun for a month

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I cannot get this Elegoo transparent resin to work at all
Or at least without mixing pigments in
Do I need to up the cure time? Down it? I’m using a known good ctb file that I use regularly for testing new resins, and I get the pad and nothing else wants to adhere

I’ve used Voxelab transparent in the past with success, so I guess I’m just going to order more of that and save the Elegoo for tinting??

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mars Pro, set for 60/8
My mars 2 also hates it, though l. Think I had that cranked up to 7 or 8 as well

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Good times! I am a giant man baby and after going to sleep and waking up again I was again competent to follow your directions and I am running the test print rook as we speak. Thank you for spelling it out for me, I get anxious around poorly translated instructions and second guess myself. I am using the Elegoo black water washable resin instead of the grey they gave me because I don't have a gallon of IPA lying around and I wanted to use my wash and cure machine. I will see how bad the test print fucks up and probably move on to learning how to fiddle with the exposure settings next. I downloaded the spreadsheet from Elegoo so at least I have a base line for all that Jazz. Thank you again for the hand holding and spoon feeding, I am an unbelievable dummy but if you ever need any advice about fixing your car I'm your Huckleberry

Edit: Hekk I LOVE your "Uncle Billy's Atlanta BBQ" tag it's one of my favorites, I gotta get a John Brown one made up some day

My understanding is that the wash and cure spinny boi is no good for water washable— gotta just hose those down and brush them? I guess??
(I have not used water washable resin)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I've been mixing a lot of colors and pigments of resin lately, and usually have a fair bit left after prints. What's the best way to store this? Like, what vessels can I get?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

MMU took a poo poo today after a bunch of perfect prints this morning.
Refused to so much as load a single filament on its own. I could of course disconnect the Bowden and feed in my own filament and get it to go, but the MMU was not having it, like the MMU and the printer weren’t talking to each other right.
50 reboots, adjusting every screw and tensioner, trying different filaments, forcing filament through the extruded manually, nothing

Six cold pulls and now it’s working again mysteriously

Sure wish it had some sort of status display other than a handful of blinking LEDs

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The MMU is a neat hack but it's clearly not the right way to do multi-material printing. A toolchanger like the E3D system is the only really good approach. I very much hope that the Prusa XL has that system or an equivalent built in.

The biggest shame is that it doesn’t seem like it would take much software work to make it like 80% better
Literally:
Displaying errors on the LCD
Better tip cutter (mine is disabled because it sucks)
A better purge mechanism than the tower (I bought one of those blob dripper things but have not set up the custom Goode for it)
A better way to pause prints and diagnose the MMU when it inevitably fucks up

As it is, it’s kind of brilliant. It’s magic when it works. Hypnotizing, like my first day of 3d printing.
And then it just goes to poo poo and ruins a 20 hour print and there’s nothing you can do to stop it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey alright
Finally got this model to successfully print in clear and then filled it with translucent red, and it’s been in my cure station for like an hour
Will it explode? Who knows!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Put a deposit down for a 5 tool. Seems like I can change my mind and downgrade it to a 1 or 2 tool later? And you can upgrade the number of ends you have, so that's neat.

I'm just so tired of my MMU, and this is a chance to loving yeet it into the trash, for the low, low price of 2 MK3s!

Oh gently caress this would make it super practical to turn into a plotter etc

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Cory Parsnipson posted:

$3000 pushes this into commercial 3D printer territory right? Are there any other ones in the same range (Ultimaker, Taz?) that have these features too?

The only comparable I can really think of is the ultimaker s5, which has like half the features and only two tool heads and a smaller bed at $7000
And infinitely less modable and repairable

The prusa XL is truly insane

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

For everyone itching for water soluble supports, I’ve heard good things (but not tested) using PETG for supports as it pops off super clean, is cheaper, not as hygroscopic, and you don’t need to go through all the mess of dissolving and brushing it

I should probably try it at some point on the MMU

E: to be clear, petg supports for such as PLA

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yknow obviously a prusa with tool changing opens up a lot of possibilities, and people will have plotter mods ready within the first month

And it’d probably be easy to attach a small dremel to one of the tool carriages and have a sorta lovely desktop CNC (that flings dust all over your sensitive equipment this is a bad idea)

But given that it enforces z leveling via … nozzle stress (I don’t really understand what’s going on there) I wonder how you’d manage that without a hot end installed

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Hopefully this is the place for this, I PMed one of the printing goons on the spreadsheet and haven't heard back.

Would love to have this beast of a tank printed and looking for pricing quotes.

You're not going to get any takers on this, tbh

A rough calculation on just the demo files, which is only the upper turret assembly, I'd probably be charging at least $40, minimum. I'm looking at $7 just in raw materials to print this turret, plus nearly a day and a half at ugly settings for this full thing if I did it in one shot
None of this is optimized for 3d printing and I imagine there'd definitely be a lot of lovely failures and manual work involved.
For the whole thing, I'd probably be charging well over $200, and that's with waaaaaay undervaluing my labor cost

And at that price point,
You could just buy a printer and join the Hot Ends gang ;)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess I should probably be printing out of ABS or some other high-temp filament given the amount of hot air that will be flowing through these and the proximity to the hotend?

ABS is grandpa material.

PETG or ASA all the way

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Anias posted:

If you had a budget of usd 300 give or take, were comfortable with assembly shy of welding and wanted a fdm printer, what would you buy?

To be clear the family requests for “what to get people” have started so I figure we might as well goon hivemind it for the holiday sales.

Sockser posted:

Can you afford a Prusa? Get a Prusa
If not, Can you wait two months for a Prusa mini? Get a Prusa mini.
If not, can you swing an Ender3 pro? Get an ender3 pro
If not, get an Ender3

I think that is the complete newbie rundown for FDM at least

For resin it’s like uh
“Pick the one that looks the coolest from the Elegoo, Photon, Phrozen lineup”

https://www.prusa3d.com/category/original-prusa-mini/
$350

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Deviant posted:

The gray filament is doing a lot of work, you can see them when you get closer.

It's a brand new, out of bag and straight into the filadryer roll of hatchbox gray.

The settings are my usual 'fast big object' ones:

https://pastebin.com/MdrLckWn

Printed as such:

Also, I think the seams just hide a bit better on that object.

PrusaSlicer is pretty smart, and will attempt to put seams on hard angles where it can

So your fish that's made up of nothing but curves? Can't hide 'em

Seams on a cube? never know they're there

E: actually, slice this up, show retractions, should pop the seams

Sockser fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 23, 2021

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I upgraded my printers from 3B+s to 4s just because the Octoprint startup time is like 10% as long, it's great.

Also consider Raspi Cameras instead of c270s

my power supply does well with my town's lovely electric grid blips
had tooooooo many prints die while running all 4 printers and it was worth it to shell out for an expensive UPS

e: oh, cameras out of stock everywhere
global supply chain issues, man

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

Side note: Do I really NEED an filament printer to print the non barrel/slide portion of my pistol(s?) or is my Mars 3 made of fairy dust and can do anything my black heart desires?

Resin prints are very bad at dimensional accuracy if you have tight tolerances on things

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

90% of what I print are structural parts

Why did I wait until now to pop a 0.8 nozzle in this bad boy
This fuckin rules

I’m doing a big series of prints that were 11 hours and now they’re 6
This is great

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

cephalopods posted:

hell yeah!

I stick with 0.6 because I don't feel like going full volcano, but even then everytime I need to swap back to .4 for something it seems like my printer is crippled

Prusa doesn't offffficially support 0.8mm nozzles for the MMU so after this project I'll probably back down to a 0.6 for normal printing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That might be a really interesting use for the tool-changing printers - swapping between nozzle sizes as you go from finely-detailed outer walls to structural inner walls and infill, although I guess the time spent changing ends and priming probably make it counterproductive on anything but the hugest prints.

I wanna say Prusa brought this up in their announcement somewhere
If it's a tool changer it wouldn't need to prime, that's the thing, and it looked like the tool changes were quick as gently caress, so this should actually be suuuuper viable, and I'm hype as hell