Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm more desperate to find B-PET or rPETG so I can print out of recycled plastic, but then again I'm an FDM guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

If you're willing to pay extra for it: https://www.filamentive.com/product/recycled-petg-rpetg-1kg-transparent/

EDIT: Pretty much everything there is recycled filament.

That's pretty cool! Expensive, but I'll bookmark that!

Currently my latest PETG print is giving me fits even though the last three prints before it (identical parts, mind you) were fine. So it'll be a while before I go back to that bastard material

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

With cheap pla I'd alter the gcode to ramp down the temp after the first few layers. Ain't perfect, but helps if you really can't do the raft for whatever reason

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's one of those things that anyone using FDM should plan on doing, because you will get a roll that does that to you eventually. You may want to think about making that ikea-based drybox project to store multiple rolls at a time, but it's up to you.

I had horrible problems with a roll of PETG and then the heat dome dried it out :v: prints are usable now

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

becoming posted:

If I didn't buy a Prusa then how would I brag about having a Prusa?

No but seriously, I like reading about folks that don't hate their Ender 3 v2. I'm going into this with eyes wide open, expecting that it will be fiddly, but there is a part of me that knows this could be a terrible idea. Other than the bed-leveling springs, what changes should I realistically expect to make before I'm cranking out toys for the kiddos with pretty reasonable quality? They aren't picky about a little elephant's foot, but I don't want to burn my house down either. I bought this kit with the expectation that it was all I'd need to do day-one, but if there's something else you'd highly recommend I'd sure like to hear about it.

I like mine, but I may also be too much of a newcomer to understand how far other printers have come. PETG gives me loving fits on this thing, but I gather sometimes there are just dud rolls.

definitely check out the tinned wires thing, and videos on how to tell what you're looking at. I still have to fix mine, but I just moved so... no time

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Prusa:Mac::Ender: Dell

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It won't, really. But that's the thing, you can get it working well for a good long time. However, it's a matter of when, not if you'll have to rebuild/replace something.

For example, the stock extruder has to be junked almost immediately, and if you want to print PETG you better believe you're gonna pick up a Capricorn tube. Also, that glass bed? Mine warped after 4mo, gotta replace that now.

A lot of the upgrades the prusa has out of the box is about 150 bucks worth of stuff (Canadian) that you'll be buying after failed prints with an ender anyway. Don't get me wrong: mine has served me very well at a price about half the prusa. Hell I still recommend it heartily- it's just that you have to know you're in for tinkering before buying. For some it's worth the money to get the prusa instead, for me it wasn't.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh yeah, what's the flex bed I need for an ender 3 v2? I figure I may as well junk the piece of poo poo warped glass and not keep banging my head against that wall

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

My ender 3v2 is a failure factory and I've finally had it. Junking this POS for parts and saving up for a prusa.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sharkytm posted:

But it's as good as a Prusa... :rolleye:

I refuse to believe that.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Genuinely curious, how many hours did you get out of it before you gave up

I've had mine since April, I'd guess I have 20 hr/week print time on it, so that comes out to about 400 hours total print time. About 1 in 3 prints I need to restart due to bed adhesion within the first 90 seconds but otherwise, printing PLA at least, seems to be working fine for me. I'm curious if I start running into reliability problems at the 1000 hour mark, although my guess is that the servos are rated for 8000-10,000 hrs

About 1k hours. At first failures were few and far between (that weren't my fault, anyway). But over time the ratio of failures to success swang wildly the opposite direction. Octoprint helped, but only for a while.

I printed both PLA and PETG, and PLA was way easier until the bed warped. Crappier PLA tended to clog the hot end like it was its job. PETG is fine, but it's a colossal pain in the rear end to dial in the right bed settings from print to print even with the upgraded springs. Painter's tape worked for adhesion, but that wasn't the worst of the issues.

I'm still waiting on the bed replacement, but right now I'm not willing to put in more work than I have already. It's cheap junk, and my time is worth more than this.

My office needs a printer, so I'm going to expense the crimp kit to fix the tinned leads and just let them deal with that pile of poo poo. Maybe someone else gets it working

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 15, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

PLA prints better on the E3v2 because it's easier to dial in.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don't forget wire strippers, and ferrules to fix the tinned leads

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the bed suggestions, the new one came in and no more adhesion issues

Creality glass beds are a gently caress
410,757,864,530 dead prints

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

becoming posted:

Which one did you wind up going with? Decide to keep it for now, or is it still going to the office?

I saw two Ender 3 fires on Reddit over the past few days, decided to finally get the ferrules and knock that out. I managed to snag one of the $99 Ender 3 Pros a month ago too; between mine, my dad's, and those of friends, I've got six Creality printers in need of crimping. Hope yours goes smoothly.

I went with the one linked from AliExpress, the first print was perfect!

This is going to the office once I can either get the money or justification to make a Voron. I've realized that there's little reason for a prusa when the cost is the same so gently caress it I like building poo poo.

For the ender, I had to remove a lot of hot glue off of terminations and I just went HAM on the ferrules despite only the bed and PSU ends really needing it. If anyone is thinking about getting an Ender 3v2, get a crimp and ferrule kit (and wire strippers if you don't have those already) BEFORE assembly so you can do this before your printer gets any use.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 23, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also there may be a hot spot on the bed like mine, so avoid printing there

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That tends to happen on beds that get hosed up. You may want to try to get a replacement bed or see if you can get away with a deep clean

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Just get a new bed, the included one is junk.

I know that's not exactly the greatest thing to tell someone who's just plunked down a considerable amount of disposable cash, but the E3v2 has a fair few of these issues that can only be resolved by replacing parts with less bad ones :(

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

Nice meltdown.

I mean I'm of the mind that yes, you'll always have to tinker, but the hot glue and tinned leads are enough to steer people away. The E3v2 is an incomplete product and that's not what most people sign up to buy when they spend that kind of money on something :shrug:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I'm not afraid of tinkering, I've spent hours on this printer already and I'd be happy to build one completely from a kit if the value was right, but I have to insist that the box includes a full set of working parts

Didn't assume you were averse to it, just didn't think your reaction rose to a "meltdown" is all. Hopefully creality uses its recent successes to improve their products/business so it doesn't continue!

Apologies for being unclear

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

YouTubeTekReviewer posted:

Somebody tried to hold them accountable and send their defective machine back. You decided to buy it and then throw a tizzy. :shrug:

And they resold a defective product. How in the world is that his fault?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

:chloe:

He mentioned he ordered another printer, fwiw

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone here use a Voron kit? How bad is it to dial in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Despair posted:

I built a v0.1 with a formbot v0 kit and a pile of parts that I replaced (better bed, OMC v0.0 spec motors for the AB, OMC v0.1 spec motor for the z axis, and an LDO motor for the miniAB extruder, legit omron SSR from mouser), and it wasn't too bad. A touch more work than my Prusa, but now that it's up and going it will print ABS faster and more reliably than my prusa prints PLA. Just had to level the bed and spend some time tweaking settings in klipper but the voron and klipper docs have pretty good walk-throughs on all of that, and there's plenty of help in the discord (presumably, I haven't been in there for a while but I assume it hasn't gone to complete poo poo).

The real risk of a voron "kit" is that a lot of the ones out there cut corners and are a bit shifty... the LDO kits should be pretty good, the ones where fabreeko swaps out parts for better ones should be pretty good, and the rest you should be prepared to replace stuff after the fact to make things run reliably and safely. Some of this can be simple stuff like linear rails that might be a bit off, or a bed that doesn't look great, but on the other side of the spectrum you can wind up with motors that aren't up too snuff (and may not even have a data sheet so you know what they really are), to counterfeit SSRs.

If you're ok with replacing stuff that's not up to snuff it's a real good time.

Yeah I'm good with replacement parts! My job has taken an unexpected turn where I'm inventing a lot of poo poo, and manufacturing on one Ender 3v2 is unacceptable, so I've been tasked with getting a better printer to run jobs during the day.

Do the LDO kids ship to Canada you think? Haven't had much luck with local vendors