Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Just got my ender 3 V2 and initial benchy came out great. I was expecting more fiddling involved tbh.

This is the first time I've done a 3d print since working with some stratasys powder devices more than a decade ago. And I'm excited to print some tool organizers myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Any recommendations for a food-grade filament (for toddler toys), preferably no sheen?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Points taken. I was "researching" it a bit and saw some recommendations about coating in epoxy and other post processing techniques, but I guess it's not quite there yet, and it's better to be safe then sorry.

Thank you.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, they are born with microplastics embedded in them these days, how much could it actually hurt?

Thank you for stopping me from inadvertently damaging my offspring.
:doh:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Any specific kit that you recommend?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Thanks. Looks like the Creality's own upgrade also comes with the split cable, if my google-fu is correct.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Tremors posted:

Dear 3d printing thread, I never thought it would happen to me.

The teeth in the coupler on the extruder apparently decided to all shatter.

Time for that direct-drive upgrade, I guess.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Switched to PEI the other day and was severely disappointed. It just would not stick, no matter what I do. Then I realized I had it upside down on the plate, yellow side down.

:doh:

I upgraded that, yellow springs, and the double Z axis, and the touch sensor, and I keep wondering if I should have just bought an nicer printer from the start.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Rapid prototyping is an oxymoron, you say?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

What do you (all) use for modeling stuff? Is it a mix of different tools, or is basically everyone on Fusion360? I haven't tried it yet, and in the past I've used rhino3d,and recently openSCAD, but those don't really offer that much, so I've been considering learning Fusion.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Sagebrush posted:

OpenSCAD is a prank played on newbies by rear end in a top hat computer programmers.

Thanks. I've started to discover that, considering how limited it is. I just want something where I can do some basic parametric modeling, and even though Rhino is kinda great, it's not easy for that kind of stuff. But.. the last time I knew how to use it was 10 years ago, so I might be really off the mark there. I think grasshoper now comes integrated.

I think I see some instructional videos for Fusion in my near future.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Is there anything that doesn't have a dedicated thread on these here forums? Thank you for posting this.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Not sure about the site, but don't count on PayPal siding with you if the scammers know what they are doing.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Marsupial Ape posted:

So...get like the v2 and the self leveling module? The Prusa is just above my price threshold for buying tech poo poo I don't need.

Yes. And yellow replacement springs. I thought it was not important, but the original v2 springs are absolute trash compared. It's a relatively cheap upgrade.

e: I added the second Z screw kit, spring-loaded nuts on both screws, and PEI plate on top, but that's just my ocd.

gbut fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 29, 2022

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm printing that Lucky 13 figurine, and my Ender 3v2 with stock fans is starting to make some "transformer buzz" noise towards the end of it, after 10ish hours.

I'll have to upgrade to Noctua fans, won't I?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Looks like my Ender's PSU fan is a dud. After using it for maybe 30-40 hrs total, I'm afraid to turn it on now. Like it was lubed with sand. I guess silent fans it is. I was gonna wait a bit before I do that, but my hand is being forced. It should make it way more quiet, from what I gather.

Even with that said, I'm not regretting the purchase. I probably already put in its original value in upgrades, and am about to drop some more, but i know exactly what I'm getting out of it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Does anyone else have issues with Cura 5 not turning on the fan in ender 3v2 gcode?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Thanks, I actually did use a pre-generated gcode around the time I downloaded v5, so will check.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This. There are just so many resources and parts available out there.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

LochNessMonster posted:

Currently assembling my ender 3 v2 and I’ve messed up somewhere but unsure where.

I’ve been following this assembly video: https://youtu.be/gokN9xNG94U

Around 23:10 he moves the x-axis bar up and mine just won’t budge, even iF I try with slightly more force.

Moving it down went fairly easy, although not without much pressure. I tried loosening and then fastening the screws in the z-axis axle (I think that’s what it’s called?). Manually turning the top part of the z-axis motor makes the bar go up fine, although not super smooth.

I probably tightened something too much, any thoughts on which part?

Edit: the manual calls it the T-shaped screw rod.

When trying to move the x axis bar up (while z axis motor screw were loosened) it pulls it straight out of the motor. I see some grease/lube on the bottom of the rod and (what I think is) the hot end. Might it need more lube?

The x axis will not go smoothly up on the z screw. I had to spin it by the coupler. Going down kinda goes, tho not as easily as any of the belt driven axes. I figured that's kinda a give, as pushing done you can apply enough force, but pushing up the force will lift the machine. Secrws are meant to transfer/reduce force in the opposite direction.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

If it lifts easily by spinning the screw, with no noticeable pushback, you're fine. Thought, I guess someone with a bit more mechanical experience might correct me.

I installed a second screw on mine, so even though I was able to move it up in the past, with 50/50 chance of lifting the whole machine in the process, the second screw made the resistance high enough that I lift the machine every time I try.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I've seen people wrapping Teflon tape over their spool holders to reduce friction. I didn't notice much difference myself, but if your spool holder/axle is binding (and not the filament in the spool being stuck), that might help.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Nerobro posted:

Ok, I need to do this again.

So.. Stop.

Good to know, thank you.

I was trying to solve an issue I had with my drying box. I got one of those without a heater, just a desiccant compartment, but it had a Bowden for feeding the filament. I'm sure it wasn't even necessary to have the tube finally the way to the extruder, but it came with it, so i installed it. After many prints, I noticed that there was some severe under-extrusion. With further investigation, I found the extruder gear covered in filament dust, as well as everything around it. The box feed somehow jammed, and I was barely able to pull it through the tube with my hands. It felt like I was about to break off the filament. I could not determine what actually caused the issue in the end. After dismantling the box and the feed setup, i could not replicate the jam. The tube was ok. The box has bearing rollers. The filament was not burning inside the spool, etc.

So, yeah, as much as i believe 100% what you're saying, and as much as the extruder might have enough force to lift the printer, in my personal experience, if the jam is stubborn enough, the inadequate grip of the extruder will just grind the filament away if it can't overcome the problem.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

You can always just print out reduction gears and make it into a multi-year project that costs twenty times more than outright buying a professionally designed device.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Marsupial Ape posted:

Is the dual z axis upgrade for the Ender 3V2 worth the effort. I just learned about it 15 minutes ago and I am an upgrade nerd.

I did it when I wanted to use the 0.1 and 0.2 nozzles, as the Z slack over the length of the X beam felt like would mess with larger prints. And then I threw in those spring-loaded screw nuts just in case, while I was already messing with Z screws. I'm think it helped with precision a lot, but I have no concrete examples to show the difference.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I got that noctua, two of them actually, for cooling the hotend and the print. I use that fang duct that is available for purchase on cults3d.com, but i don't have the direct link with me. Just search for "fang ender" or something and you'll find it. I think it works great because it accommodates the crtouch and it cools the filament as a mf. Great upgrade over the stock one.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Crosspost from PYF Funny Pic

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The bracket is upside-down. Try again.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Tremors posted:

How about now? :v:

You can't just flip it. It'll fall off the screws.

gbut fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 5, 2022

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

This whole saga reminds me of

https://www.davidoreilly.com/extw

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

mattfl posted:

So apparently the blaster looks too much like something from Cyberpunk 2077 and CD Project Red asked him to remove it.

I guess if someone wants the files lemme know and I'll share them since you can't buy them anymore.

You don't seem to have PMs, so I'll just ask for those :filez: right here, please?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Isn't the thing with original Marlin on ender to not store z offset on the machine, but on the sdcard? I upgraded with that popular fork (forgetting the name now, something with J) that fixes that issue.

e: it was a nice to have when I was adding the support for bltouch

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

cruft posted:

The screen doesn't really have a firmware. You can upload some icons and a font to its internal storage, and that's it.

I wouldn't bother messing with the icons. I spent a long-rear end time trying to figure this all out, got it working, and the new icons are just as bad as the old ones. I did upload a nicer font, though.

I also prefer the new font. I installed latest pre-Marlin 2.0 merge version a while back. It makes it much more readable.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

*turns of the power sander*

WHAT?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I fell into that hole, and now my E3V2 is a nice $500 printer with a severely undersized bed.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I don’t want to derail this further, but y’all are making Canada’s gun laws sound cool tbh.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I did this paid model upgrade, so here’s the recommendation again.

gbut posted:

I got that noctua, two of them actually, for cooling the hotend and the print. I use that fang duct that is available for purchase on cults3d.com, but i don't have the direct link with me. Just search for "fang ender" or something and you'll find it. I think it works great because it accommodates the crtouch and it cools the filament as a mf. Great upgrade over the stock one.

E: I guess is should read posts better. This is a an upgrade for stock head and 4020 fans

gbut fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 3, 2023

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

All these new developments are making me consider throwing even more money into the hobby. I love my E3v2 with several upgrades, but I want something faster, and I really want to print ABS, so enclosure.

What would be printer de jour for that? That Bamboo on sale? Voron, if time to tinker? I’m leaning into the “out of the box” stuff due to lack of free time lately. Planning to make a decision/buy in September probably, so I figure why not ask here first.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

ilkhan posted:

Neptune 3/4 is the go to cheap printer, Bambu above that, and voron/x1c above that. Bed slingers are mostly a losing argument above cheapie printers.

I really like x1c, but the build volume is not big enough for what I need. I think I might have to build a Voron to get the nice 350^3. Well, there goes the rest of my free time for this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

mattfl posted:

Small note with that 350^3 voron. It's extremely hard to get the full 350 Z height without doing some mods to the top of the printer. It's certainly possible but out of the box you're only gonna hit 290-300.

Just a little something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the heads up. That should be more than fine.