Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't understand the appeal of the V0 in respect to its cost vs its tiny build plate.

as someone sourcing v0.1 parts atm:
i want to build a printer but i have a tiny appartment and another full size printer would take up too much space.
Don't really care about cost vs size since the build is the main appeal.

there's also the question of what you are printing, i rarely use even half the volume of my ender 3. So 10cm in each direction is often enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
this one is nice for testing out new filaments, especially the overhang and bridging test.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2806295

there was a micro version by the same creator, which didnt waste as much space for labeling, but it seems to be gone

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Deviant posted:

No, I know the one he means. It's linked from the mini page, but the link 404s.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2975429

Yeah, that was the one. Just has a smaller footprint than the mini.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Only thing I recommend for an ender is the silent board (which the v2 has) and harder springs.

I have been using my ender3 with those upgrades for 1 year plus.*
The only other thing I changed was the hot end, but that was because I physically broke mine.

You should look into the wires from the power supply to the board. Iirc they are tinned wires, which can be a fire hazard in the long term. Crimping them instead would be good.

* I also have a bltouch. Do not get a bltouch.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

SEKCobra posted:

Trying to print some ABS in a space blanket 'enclosure' and it appears my Petsfang has split and melted. No idea what happened there, will have to examine once the printer stops, for now I have ziptied it to the gantry.

what material is the petsfang? if it's not ABS and your printing at ABS temps, it probably got too hot.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Roundboy posted:

Watching a voron build with Thomas Sanladerer has me really, REALLY inspired. I see some of the issues he has with cheap kits, and the voron site itself puts out a decent packing list of the screws and things you need. I don't mind sourcing things as needed to slowly gather it all together, but is there a good resource to help me determine what is low vs high quality parts and where its needed? I get I can aliexpress the 2 kg of screws needed, but will i die in a fire if I get the aluminum extruded frames from them as well?

The formbot kit seemed kinda 'meh', and i haven't even begun to decide what hotend,boards, etc to even use, so slow gathering of parts is not a problem.

The voron sourcing page also had nice links, but only lists 200m extrusions when i need 350+ (might as well go big) . Is it even worth trying to source of of the little bits like bearings , etc rather then just get a good bundle? I am gathering all my links and doing my reading, but some knowledge from people that had trouble with 'x' or wish they did 'y' is nice

If you get a kit you might actually pay more, depending on what you need to replace (except LDO kits, they're pretty much perfect from what i've seen)

For sourcing advice:
go on the voron discord. It has a bunch of vendors that are okay according to the community. You won't have much problem finding all the parts.
If you have trouble finding something, just ask in the channel for your region/country.

https://fermio.xyz/ and https://lecktor.com/en/ are good options, if you're in the EU.

I'm very slowly building my V0, but getting the parts was relatively painless. Also kinda fun in a weird way...

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Ygolonac posted:

BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY

It's all here - printer box, UPS gouged a hole clean through to the foam insert at some point, but nothing is obviously damaged. And the filament hits the postal scale (still in the spool box) at 3 pounds, 2 pounds 11.7 oz without box.

Gotta get some resealable bags for the PLA+, plus extra dessicant. (I'm assuming my nice slider-seal Ziplocs won't be good?)

4.5 hours to get home, sigh.

Off-Brand ziplocs are perfectly fine. I agree with the above, in most settings a cardboard box is fine. But some stuff (woodfilled for example) you don't want to just keep in a Box, so Ziplocs it is.
Also keeps dust and cat hair out of filament, which is nice.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Ygolonac posted:

This looks neat, but I'm assuming some of the glitter will be bits of the nozzle, right?

Glitter PLA (and some ABS) si pretty common and super cool. It does wea a bit more on the nozzle than non-glitter PLA but a) nozzles are comsumables and b) it's really not THAT abrasive.
I had a cheap copper nozzle and used it for an entire spool without issue.
I saw more of an issue with the standard extruder on my Ender 3, the teeth gummed up a bit quicker than with other non-glitter PLA. Needed a quick brush after maybe a quarter of the spool (~ 200g)

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
any reason you don't want to use gluestick?

in case you're worried about ruining your plate: some dish soap or isopropannol will easily remove the glue.
same for the underside of the model.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Sovol sv06 plus might fit the bill for "big"*? reliable, basically prusa clone but needs some maintenance (had to gresae the bearings on mine)

klipperizing the sovols is also possible afaik.

Sovol is selling refurbished printers on their website:
https://www.sovol3d.com/products/sovol-refurbished-3d-printer?variant=45150897701173
Availability depends on how many perople send theirs back obviously, but if he can wait there is a good deal to be had.

edit:
*not as big as kobra 2 max, but really depends on what he needs,

Dr Sun Try fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Rescue Toaster posted:

Does anyone have one of those thin-walled 'tent' style enclosures? I'm looking for something I can put my P1S inside and then put a 4" vent hose on to vent outside using an external duct fan I have. I guess it has to be large enough inside to crack the front door open when printing PLA as well.

I've seen some like this, the sort of clear plastic and self-supporting but not exactly rigid enclosures. But I'm totally at a loss what the term for it would be to try to search.

search for "3d printer enclosure"
like https://www.creality3dofficial.com/en/products/3d-printer-enclosure-safe-quick-and-easy-installation

or if you need something bigger look for "grow tents" for plants

hope this helps