Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

If anyone in Canada is desperate to find resin. Eryone resin has been pretty solid and available.

I can't comment to its brittleness because I've been mixing in 10% flex resin for minis, but it's incredibly cheap through Alibaba and seems pretty on par with any other anycubic, elegoo etc low odor resin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

I had to switch to Eryone last month because Siraya's Canadian stock ran out. I bought all the Eryone grey available, and now I'm printing in a vivid peach colour because that's all they had left.

Way more brittle than the abs stuff from Siraya of course, but this is some great resin. The details are super crisp and the cost is 50% of what I was paying Siraya. I might not go back to Siraya.

Out of curiosity, you still rocking vroom? I've had some support failures with my black, and seeing some layerlines artifacts occasionally. (Mixing 10% tenacious)

My costs are waaaay down vs sirayatech so I'll definitely be using this vs sirayatech. Still likely going to Vulcan when it comes out in September though

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 21, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Diabeesting posted:

My brother sent me an Anycubit Photon Mono so I can print some miniatures and things. It's sitting here idle until the resin arrives but I am very excited to start printing.
Is there anything I should pick up to make my life easier? Ordered a UV lamp and turn table, some plant based black resin, and a bunch of 99% isopropyl for washing.
Is a flexible bed worth it, or can I get by with the putty knife?

Normal beds fine, but beingn able to print bases flat on the bed is a godsend. In the long run you'll save yourself a ton of effort just going that way

Buy a fuckton of nitrile gloves and papertowel. Also a wash and cure is technically a bit frivalous but will really streamline the cleaning process for you down the road

Myminifactory is a good spot for individual models, but if you find someone you like I highly recommend finding their Patreon and just spending the $10 to at least grab a month+welcome box from them and cancelling

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I've been 3d printing for jewellery applications for 6-7 years now and it wasn't until the last few years I took resin handling seriously with gloves. Thanks goons for reminding me it's a good idea to be as safe as possible.

I don't have much knowledge in the area of chemical safety, so is repeated exposure something that would then make you allergic or sensitive to it over time?

Not a doctor, but from everything I've been hearing pretty much

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Does anyone in Canada have a source for a replacement screen for a Mars2 Pro? Strangely enough I'm not having much luck finding one. I'm down one machine as of a few minutes ago. :(

I've only ever gone direct through elegoo or amazon. Maybe check out chitu directly as well

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Looking at moving, and part of that is going to be more of a dedicated 3d printer space. If I had about a grand Canad an to spend on a better FDM printer what should I be going for?

I have multiple resin printers, a souped up ender 3 in an enclosure, and a voron 0.1. I'll mostly be printing wargaming terrain to sell online

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Hadlock posted:

In theory, i'm assuming at least, moving layer thickness from 0.20 to 0.40 ought to roughly halve print time?

And yeah the other variable I'm trying to increase is wall thickness. Kill three birds with one stone

1. thicker wall
2. shorter print time
3. stronger print overall

I am about a quarter way through my new 0.90mm wall thickness print, dimensional stability has improved dramatically

I can't seem to increase top layer thickness* above 0.38 in vase mode, as it's grayed out for some reason, and 0.40 is too small to print a ~2mm external perimeter thickness

*top layer thickness isn't used in vase mode, I smell a PR coming on

Is detail an issue? What about a bigger nozzle?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Aside from the Vulcan resin that was recently started via Kickstarter are there any other resin brands that are made local to North America? Finding a consistent source of bulk resin has started to become a real problem. I just had to buy a pile of very blue resin because it's the only one I could get in bulk to Canada right now.

Not that know if and it's been a big pain in the dick

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Filament seems like such a shell game of a business.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Deviant posted:

I keep all my non-in-use rolls in gallon bags with dessicant, which has been fine.

This roll was definitely moist directly from the mfgr, though.

I mean if anything it's probably somethi g they'd be happy to know about

Probably helps them find holes in there process where moisture got introduced in the warehouse or whatever

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah the north american supply chain thing is huge. worst case with brittleness will be adding a little bit of flexible resin which is what I'm doing with everything else anyways

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

When you guys mix in flexible resin, what ratio do you use?
I got a bottle fo Tenacious but I haven't cracked it open yet.

I use 10%, 10-20 seems to be the norm

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

How do you mix your resins and not make a gigantic mess?

Digital kitchen scale, then I just pour however many grams into the larger bottle. There's enough headroom to do the 10% I've been aiming for at least

Then just close the lid and shake the poo poo out of it. Pretty much every combo I've done so far works this way, even 50/50 color mixes

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eryone? I just noticed the same issue with dates

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 6, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled that I just bought 20L more. I shook the absolute crap out of the last bottle and stuff is printing on the machine again so I think that all but confirms it was the resin.

So from what I'm hearing,unless it was storesd really crazy in a warehouse, the resin should still be workable. Big thing is to mix it with some fresher resin which should help things substantially.

Also obviously shot them a message. Bought this resin 2 months ago and like a week ago so pretty stupid it was this stale. So ancy to just deal with Vulcan instead of random companies from overseas

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 6, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Deviant posted:

So I definitely got something new from Printed Solid they aren't offering yet and have asked for my feedback.

It's labeled "Jessie 2.0", and I'm going to give it a try after i burn out what's left of my old stuff, I found settings that play finally, if only barely.

Any suggestions for test/calibration/etc prints? After a temperature tower to see where it likes to live.

Benchy 100%

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Hamburlgar posted:

I too run a small farm 24/7 that’s made up of 5x Ender 3’s (2x E3 Pro, 3x E3 V2) each generating ~$50/24hr.

Stiffer springs, metal extruder and Capricorn tubing are the must haves. I’d also recommend the ‘Hot End Fix’ to help prevent leaks around the hot end caused by the Bowden working itself loose in the heater block.

A Springsteel removable bed with a TH3D EZMat is something I’d highly recommend for ease of removing prints, especially ones with larger footprints.

The stock glass bed is awesome, as prints stick like hot poo poo to a diaper, but removing them can be just a difficult.

In my use case, I don’t have the time/space to put 5 glass beds in the freezer with 200mm wide print still stuck to them.

As mad as it sounds, I’m considering buying a couple Ender 5 Plus’ for larger prints rather than going the Prusa route for my next few printers.

Out of curiosity, how do you go about running your farm business wise? Are you listing yourself as a local printshop, going Etsy, some other service?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Nerobro posted:

This isn't direct.... But things that make me uncomfortable.

Ben Heck is a covid fatalist. EEVblog is in some kind of weird limbo. AvE is either fatalist or denier.

I'm interested in this answer too.

aVe just has big oil worker energy. Worst case he's probably just your average well meaning uncle with a bad opinion or 2 in there

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Deviant posted:

which hairspray? i use got2b for cosplay already but that feels like overkill

Aquanet sounds familiar. There are definitely specific brands to use though so don't go nuts

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Neat. Elegoo announced their big resin printer, the Jupiter. Downside is it's on Kickstarter soon. Still, some decent deals if you are an early backer.

Yeah fingers crossed on this thing. I'm super holding off on buying any really big format printers until chitu sorts out their bullshit with third party software

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

For anyone in Canada trying to hunt down resin, amazon suddenly has a whole bunch of different resin in at reasonable prices again.

Just bought 10kg of esun for <50$ a bottle which is a Christmas miracle given how hosed everything has been for a long time up here

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 20, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Javid posted:

I have put PLA in my engine bay AND on the outside of my building, and while I would not advise anyone else to do this, it's held up shockingly well in both cases

There's also PLA+ which costs a tiny bit more and has substantially better tolerances re heat/stress

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

yeah i can’t imagine getting much from the 4k upgrade for tabletop miniatures or whatever, but for molded part details like embossed lettering (which requires deep, sharp-cornered pockets in the tool), i actually can’t go nearly as small as i’d like to before everything starts bleeding together and getting mushy. i have never heard of a color screen Elegoo printer getting upgraded to mono by the end user, else id just start with that.

This upgrade exists, but drops it from a 2k screen. To a 1080p screen so probably not what you're looking for

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Anybody seen Sirayatech Sculpt Ultra available for sale, like, anywhere? Or a comparable product? I'm being extremely conservative with my current bottle because there doesn't seem to be a comparable substitute product for high-temp applications like mine, and Siraya doesn't seem to be in any rush to produce more of it after the initial production run. The original Sculpt is probably the closest thing to it I can find, but even sculpt's 160C temp rating won't cut it for my application.

Possibly you complaining, but this was brought up on Facebook by someone and frankly I've lost all faith in sirayatech to carry a product consistently

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone Us ng ethanol or some alternative to IPA for cleaning resin prints? I'm going to be moving to the new wash+cure from elegoo soon and it's gonna cost a ton to rotate out ipa all the time.

I've heard ethanol mentioned a bunch online (and it's recommended by a bunch of manufacturers), but I have no idea what the right move is.

Printing with 3 machines pretty much 24/7 so want to have things nailed down

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone sell FDM prints that has a good guide for pricing things etc?

Looking to sell small stuff online allongside my resin stuff, but really not sure what's reasonable.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Javid posted:

Modeling little vehicles is fun and I wish I could get paid to do it

You can and should! Patreons dope as hell and you can definitely find people who'd love this stuff

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 31, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone seen cr-30's used in a print mill like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClMyYvypnw

Ive been looking at prusas for a farm, but there's something to be said for a continuous 3d print treadmill if you could get it working reliably

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Hell I ran across one seller that didn’t even cure the minis and remove supports! He made his customers do it! :psyduck:

Holy moly I spotted this guy too

Couldn't even imagine shipping a model with full supports. The amount of bullshit I'd get from people for their hosed up models would be bottomless

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

One thing that needs to be improved for resin printers is the little cavity around the motor for the z screw. I've ruined a couple motors spilling resin back there and it dripping into the housing.

Printing a little raised gasket so spills don't leak in there would have saved me a few repairs

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

What are y'all doing for ventilation? I picked up one of the microcenter firesale Enders the other day, and while I don't have a whole lot of plans for it I'd rather minimize the plastic particles floating around in my house. Right now its up in the attic/office with a cross-breeze and a fan in the window which is probably fine for the volume of printing I'll likely do but any tips / advice is appreciated.

I have mine in a basement I don't hang out in which helps, and run a lil air purifier 24/7 to pull out particulates etc.

Looking at building a dedicated workspace and at that point I'm going for a chamber vented outside the house to handle my printers

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

What's involved to print in wood/glow in the dark?

Is it just tossing to a hardened steel nozzle? Any good brands? Weird maintenance?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Martytoof posted:

So at what point is an SLA platform too scratched to warrant replacing? Ever since I started printing more I’ve been resorting to razor blades to peel prints from my aluminum platform. I’m pretty careful about it, but every now and then I approach it at the wrong angle and give it a little scratch. So far nothing sharp and jutting out, and the only side effect at the moment is that anything I print flat on the platform takes on any scratches of sufficient depth. I am guessing my threshold will be if any of the scratches stick proud of the surface and have the ability to possibly puncture or stress the FEP. At the end of every session I run a razor over the whole surfaced just to feel if it catches on anything and so far I’ve been able to remove any stray flecks that stand proud.

And yet again, another two weeks of small odds and ends printed and I’m 100% with sirayatech grey in probably seven sessions. Best investment in resin ever.

I imagine if your really worried you could sand it, but honestly this is exactly why flex plates are the poo poo

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone familiar with multi material printing or the mmu2s? New prusaslicer alpha has paint on multimateral which seems wild. It has some "smart" auto selection and what they show in the new GitHub release looks amazing

https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/releases

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Where should I be spending my money if I want a wash n cure unit? My DIY setup is pretty ragged at this point and I think I'd rather upgrade than rebuild it. I'd also prefer something smaller rather than larger because table space is at a premium, as long as it can accommodate a Mars Pro build plate and/or flexplate plus attached prints.
Also, are there any limitations with using a wash/cure that would push me towards another DIY solution? I'm currently curing my prints under water, that's still an option with one of these setups, right? Also, i

I have the elegoo wash/cure and it's fantastic. I honestly think most of them are about the same.

My biggest limitation is the volume of prints I put through my machine, and the fact that 1 machine has 2 functions. I constantly need to swap it between the washing bucket and curing plate.

I have a wash+cure coming in the mail which is 2 large seperate machines and it honestly looks perfect. It's sized to handle Saturn scale prints, but just having 2 seperate machines for washing and curing would be a game changer. Not sure how water curing would work on these things but someone's inevitably done it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 10, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

the one issue i see is how using a multi-step washing process will require additional wash bins, and those suckers need a lot of alcohol + take up a lot of storage room compared to 1L pickle jars. also pretty pricey as aftermarket parts. still worth not having to handle uncured parts directly

I'm still trying to sort out what the way to do alcohol is. Currently wondering if going to a medical supplier or some chemical place would work.

I've been hearing about ethanol being a good route, but can't find it any cheaper than alcohol. If I could get things less than a $1 a litre then that would be perfect

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

The jupiter kickstarter is live right now.

I still can't decide if a LARGE format printer like this is useful. Feels like a massive liability to fix over just running a few Saturn's.

I've had maybe 1 time where the print volume would have been handy, and frankly I don't know if now's the time to be buying a new resin printer while chitu's trying to lock everything down

Like maybe this thing would be good if you were printing props or whatever, but I feel like at that point your better off scratchbuilding or just using FDM

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 11, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I still want to see a consumer level DLP printer in front of real users before I rush out to buy one.

Frankly the current tech is great and things like print times seem to get really closed over when comparing DLP to current (msla?) Printers

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Now I want to see a six axis robot arm moving the buildplate from a resin machine so it can print a huge spiral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Is there anything out there like a cleaning station for resin with an active filter? There'd be a market for some "rechargeable" alcohol solution where you could just pull out a screen every week instead of swappi g the liquid as often