Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

insta posted:

it hauls rear end on any print you can fit into the build plate, and heats quickly

Well, it's the same for any decent CoreXY printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Is it? A big printer takes more time to heat soak. Uses more power to maintain temp. "acutal print speed" might be the same, but startup is a thing.

700w A/C bed. Start-up is really not an issue. It's also not the small prints you really want the extra speed on. It's on the big prints.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/vivedino/vivedino-troodon

This says it's using an Orbiter v1.5, which is an excellent extruder. It has a few issues with the interior filament guide getting worn down, but it's a cheap and easy replacement and should be fixed in v2. (I have the v1, which has a metal guide).
Get the Dragon hotend (or better).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Did you redo your hotend PIDs? (That is a thing on Prusa's, right?)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I am using PETG but I will consider other materials if they will work better. I am also not sure how many perimeters to set or infill % in the slicer, so I would welcome tips about that.

Here is what the broken test part looks like:

No, even with PA-CF this will struggle to work. Printing it lengthwise might work, if you epoxy it back together. Bolts, you'll still get movement when swinging the bat and it'll feel like a wet noodle.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Yes, that was what I meant. I figured I would expoxy the halves together and also use bolts. I would still epoxy the handle into the bat as originally intended.
Here is a picture of the redesigned part in prusaslicer.

Thanks for the print setting tips. Should I continue trying PETG or look at another material?

You're still very likely to get a break at the instep. I mean, you can try it, but I suspect it'll fail in short order.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Glue stick is not going to make a huge mess. It'll create a little extra work when you clean the bed, that's all.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dominoes posted:

Your Prusa is your tool (STS), and you're buying a toy.

lol

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hamburlgar posted:

Never mind my previous thoughts about getting different kinds of printers...

The artist that I’m currently working on a medium production run (~150x 48hr prints) with just handed me enough cash to buy 2 more Ender 3 V2s with upgrades, so I can fulfill his order in time for the Christmas rush.

So, with a CoreXY, you could probably more than double your print speed. With that volume of prints, wouldn't that be worthwhile?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What on earth are you guys doing to your BLtouch? Easily one of the better QoL upgrades you can do and in my experience more reliable than IR or force sensors.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Javid posted:

I have some gcode I got from thingiverse that will move the nozzle clockwise between the four screw points a few times so I can wiggle a receipt around under it. This will get me close ENOUGH that I can start a print and dial it exactly in by watching the lines of the brim much faster than doing a zillion reps with the paper.

This was initially a pain in the rear end, but at this point it takes five minutes, and I have to do it less than once a week when I'm actively using the printer. Are you guys switching beds a lot or something that this activity warrants automation?

E: I have a secondhand ender 3 variant, I don't actually know which submodel

All this becomes irrelevant with a BLtouch. I really don't understand this threads reluctance to use it.
One of the weaknesses of the BLVCube design is that the bed *can* slip when you turn the printer off, so that it can be off level when you turn it on again...but I only bother to relevel if it's visually out of alignment or I have big/"important" print. Rest of the time the BLtouch/Reprap will take of it, even if it's several millimeters out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

becoming posted:

Ender 3 sisters and bros - In sorting out a clogged nozzle on my E3v2, it occurred to me that I don't have any spares for it. I'd like to rectify that. Where are you buying your nozzles? I've read good things about TriangleLab's nozzles, but they appear to offer very limited quantities for purchase. If I'm going to wait a month for these to show up, I'd like to get a dozen and only ever have to wait that month once. If there's a particularly good product available from a US-based reseller and shipping won't be four weeks, I'm happy to deal in smaller quantities. Are TH3D's nozzles reliable quality? Any others I should look at?

Not an Ender Bro, but buy a E3D NozzleX and forget about wear and most clogs.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

How long are you going to leave it out? PLA doesn't care too much, so unless it's 6 months+, I wouldn't worry about it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, that post was one of the things pointing me toward the Prusa.

Something I've been wondering is why did the fully enclosed printers fall out of favor?

It's really not needed for most of the stuff people are printing. I mean, it's taking me over a year to finish my enclosure project (still ongoing), as while it's handy when printing ABS/ASA, etc you can get around it with draft shields.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

This right here is the real meat for me. If it would cost $650 to upgrade an Ender to match a Prusa, then I think the Prusa is just a better choice for my needs, when I finally get around to buying an FDM printer.

For an additional $650 you can turn an Ender into a much better printer than the Prusa:

Duet 2 wifi clone $100
Orbiter 1.5 Extruder $50
Copperhead hotend. $150
Springs/buildsheets. $100?
Rail Upgrade $150?
Edit: forgot: BLtouch: $40 for non-clone.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 4, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

What's involved to print in wood/glow in the dark?

Is it just tossing to a hardened steel nozzle? Any good brands? Weird maintenance?

E3D NozzleX. Yeah it's expensive, yes it's worth it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's a poor connection with high resistance which is causing local hearing. I don't care what temp the cable and connector are rated for, that's a failure occuring while you watch. 168°c Christ that's a fire hazard turn it off

Probably a cheap clone XT60. Silicone cables can withstand at least 200C, so it's unlikely to blow up, but you should fix that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

It seemed pretty good. The instructions for steps like that were pretty vague at what you are going for, but I think I got them correct.

I think he's hinting at the horizontal pattern on your prints that looks like belts are too tight.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

0.05 for a press fit, 0.1 for regular. ABS/ASA I may have to go to 0.15 as it can contract a bit more.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

I appreciate this post, but all of this sounds like poison to me.

My first entry into FDM was with a CR-10 that nearly burned my house down. My second entry was with a chiron, that printed fine until it didn't and then became an expensive doorjam. If I buy a table saw I can reasonably expect to have it working out of the box without needing any extra parts or calibration. Why can't FDM printers be like that (I know why but the closest to that experience is what I'm looking for).

See note about CR-10 above.

If you buy a $129 table saw, it'll most likely be unable to be trued square and the blade will threaten to jump off and cut your head off.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

I kinda want Prusa to release a Core XY model at a similar pricepoint to the MK3. But I also hope they don't, so I don't get any funny ideas about spending money. :v:

Given the price for the MK3, a CoreXY would be closer to $2k. Quality linear rails aren't cheap.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

I haven’t set octoprint up with this printer yet, but I’ve used it in the past. It’s really handy for mostly the remote camera feed.

If your printer has an sd card slot, then I find having remote access for pushing gcode to the printer isn’t that convenient in practice because you’ll still want to physically go at the beginning to make sure the build plate is clear, and at the end to pull off the print.

No way am I ever going to back to transferring files on an SD card. One click in the Prusaslicer sends it straight to the printer (Duet2 Wifi).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

At which point, he might as well just make a plaster/sand mold instead.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erhh, ok. I thought we were talking about making molds.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Print the feet separately and glue them on.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm tempted to jump into the resin pool and are now looking at a Anycubic mono SE....or is it worth waiting for the Mars 3 to become more widely available?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

It depends on what you want it for.

I have an idea for minis/small sculptures. It wont make me rich, but it should pay for itself. (And I've been looking for an excuse to get a resin printer).
I wont really have spare time until Nov/Dec, so I guess I might wait for the Mars 3?.
I can build a vented cabinet. Not too worried about dealing with fumes, etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I need to cast a lead ballast for my 3d printed project

In the olden days they'd just cast the lead directly into my fiberglass mould and destroy the mould to figure out what size to make the ballast

I'm kind of wondering if I can print a positive mould/plug from PLA with 1% infill, then do a plaster cast, and then pour the liquid lead right into the PLA. Presumably the PLA infill will melt/burn away and float to the top, and most of the perimeter exterior will also? It's 60 lbs of lead vs 6 ounces of PLA, I'm thinking the lead will make quick work of the PLA. I'm not super concerned about the finish quality of the lead due to surface contamination by the pla

Print the plug as an empty shell, but fill it with supports. Make the plaster mold, remove the supports, pour in lead.
Alternative is to model the plug with a few cross sections that you can easily remove.(or just pout lead over).

Hydrocal is a good alternative to regular plaster if you want to make stronger/easier-to-use molds. (And quite easy to make 2-part molds from as well)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Depends on what you are printing and your extruder setup.
In general: faster/longer retraction + possibly lower temps/better cooling.
On any modern direct drive setup, you shouldn't have to deal with stringing...even when printing PETG.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway. I have a project in mind that would need some serious mechanical properties. Has anyone used glass or carbon fiber nylon? Obviously I'd need to get an FDM printer, but is it a huge pain in the rear end to deal with?

I have. They can be tricky. Also bear in mind that while they will be extremely impact resistant, they will deform, if under constant load. Nylon is fairly bendy and the tiny carbon filaments will only do so much.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No, that's not normal at all.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Anyone here with the Photon Mono SE? I think I've narrowed that down to be my (resin) printer of choice.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

I have the regular Photon Mono and it's excellent. I've had literally one failed print since I got it about a year ago. I assume the SE is even better.

Cool. What slicers do you use? Is the Photon Workshop thing worth using ?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bowden or DD?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Prusa I3 MK3S+, so it's direct drive

Hmm, sure you aren't over extruding? parts cooling fan is on? You shouldn't get any stringing at all.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Fan is on and working, I hear it and the self test confirmed it. How can I check if I'm over-extruding, and how would I resolve that?

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/extrusion-multiplier-calibration_2257/

Something like this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://filaments.ca/collections/3d-resin/products/polyjuice-water-washable-resin-grey?variant=30877785096277

Has anyone tried water washable resin? Is water washing only really viable?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

Any hollow pieces had to be dried out with compressed air asap since water would just eat through and crack the pieces. Overall it was just a more frustrating experience all in the name of avoiding IPA.

Ok, more or less what I figured. I'm basically (slowly) planning out my workspace and what to buy and using an ultrasonic cleaner (for water washable) just seemed neater than the largish wash stations.
I'll probably DIY the curing station (turn table and some UV LEDs) and may take a similar approach with the washing station.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nurse!! Meltdown in aisle 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Am I missing something here?
You bought an open box item, which turned out to be not just an open box, but a previous assembled, used and disassembled printer.

Instead of going on about a crusade about how terrible Enders are, how about just returning it?.