Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
has anyone here had any experience with overture filament? specifically abs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I bought an ender 3 pro like 2 years ago just finally put it together and set up a print. Excited to print some upgrades for it.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Nerobro posted:

You want to print a satsana cooling duct. They don't need ANY supports. I'd avoid almost every other "upgrade". Maybe a filament guide? mount your spool holder "facing front" as that provides a more consistent filament path, though draggier. When you tension the belts, throw a allen key inside the bracket and use that to hold tension while you're doing up the X and Y belts.

Checked out that duct and I definitely want to print one of those. I just gotta see if it fits/someone has made a version that fits with the cr touch, cause I just installed one of those along with a new silent board and upgraded screen. Printing seems much smoother and faster now and it's easier to dial in prints with the baby steps feature added. This new world of being able to print whatever things I think of or come across is really exciting!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
After enjoying tinkering with and using my ender 3 pro, and then seeing all the rave reviews of Bambu stuff here, I am really considering buying a p1s, as I'm now more interested in actually printing things than I am with just tinkering.

Before I do that though, are there any negatives or things to look out for with that model? I just wanna know what I'm getting into besides "it's great!"

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I got an airbrush+compressor for Christmas, but did not realize the kit did not include a hose to connect the airbrush to the compressor. My local store only had one hose, so I bought it without realizing the fitting sizes were different from what I needed.

So to connect everything up, I need a 1/4" BSP thread male to 1/8" NPT thread female adapter (or whatever the plumbing term is for that). That's unfortunately not something the Home Depot near me sells.

But we live in the goddamn future so I downloaded the model for that exact fitting from McMaster-Carr and printed it in CF Nylon. Pressure tested it and everything is working great. Thankfully this just needs to be a temporary solution until I get the right hose.

Holy poo poo I didn't even consider that McMaster has models of a lot of stuff. I can't wait to print some drat hardware!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Decided to treat myself to the P1S and I'm very excited to receive this thing. I didn't get the combo because I don't really have any reason to print multicolor at this point but I'm happy I have it as an option if I want to do it later.

I think my ender 3 pro heard my excitement while ordering and decided to mess up the print it was working on, so that's cool.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Coming along pretty well.

What is this? It looks cool as hell

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mrbass21 posted:

New Bambu P series firmware released today with the noise reduction.

Reminder that you have to run calibration in the printer after the firmware upgrade for it to work.

My P1S should be arriving on Thursday or Friday, so should I try to update it and then calibrate on first use? This is my first bambu device

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

queeb posted:

I made the decision last year to not bother with anything huge and annoying, no big dragons that take 12 hours on 4 printers, no super delicate stuff, im sure im leaving money on the table but I was stressing so much over that stuff I just dropped it all

Would you be able/open to doing a rather large print l that's super simple if I can get the file for it? It's basically a flat plane that's just shaped weird on the sides but I don't have a printer big enough to do it. It's a replacement side panel for an ebike I built. I could do multiple pieces and glue them together or something but I figured I'd ask here cause I'd rather not do that if possible.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

queeb posted:

I don't have any large format printers :( just the usual p1p print size, but if that's big enough definitely, its 256/256/256

As of today I should be getting a p1s (hurry up UPS :aaaaa: ) but I don't think it's big enough to print the thing unfortunately.

mattfl posted:

If queeb can't do it with the bambu size, I have a 350 voron that I might could help with.

I don't know the exact dimensions, but I'll try to find them and let ya know if this would work.

Thanks though both of y'all!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

:sickos:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mrbass21 posted:

Hope you have plenty of filament cause that thing ain’t gonna stop printing for days! Congrats!

I decided to move over to use Klipper on my Ender 3 and used an old Dell Dimension x86 computer to run it.

Also about can run the dumbass Voron I’ll probably end up building in addition to the ender… right? That’s saving money! … right?
Thanks!

Also, oh poo poo I didn't know about klipper and I just looked it up. Def gonna try that out on my ender 3 pro. Thanks for mentioning it!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Holy poo poo....coming from an ender 3 pro, I feel like that thing is a crude caveman wheel and the P1S is a spaceship. I can't get over how fast and accurate it is.

I do think it's kinda loud, but I'll accept that if it means ridiculous speed and accuracy. So happy with this purchase

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mrbass21 posted:

This is why I’m messing with my Ender. I put a long job that I know will complete and then “to fill the time” tinker in my Ender 3.

After this current print finishes, I'm gonna use the P1S to print a rear enclosure for the ender mainboard and a raspberry pi so I can set up octoprint on it. I changed out the fans for noctuas and it's now quiet enough for me to not need it to be inside an enclosure.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Acid Reflux posted:

Have you updated to the new firmware? It should prompt you very soon if it hasn't already. Sometimes a power cycle will trigger it. Latest version is 01.05.01.00 as of yesterday. The major update this time is adding a motor noise cancellation routine to the inbuilt calibration cycle, and it'll pretty much make the machine as quiet as it's ever going to get minus the fan noise (which you can also fiddle with in other settings). All three of my P1's running together now are quieter than just one of them before, it's like goddamn magic.

Also - welcome to the club! :)
(e - quoted the wrong thing)

Wow I just did the update and calibrated and it's MUCH quieter. Incredible. I fuckin love this thing.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Top 2 are what I sent to my P1S from handy.

Bottom 4 are results of my second (and better) attempt, printing at 50% speed. I tried it at 100% the first time and got similar issues, only they were slightly more pronounced. I hoped slowing the speed would help, but it only did a little bit. Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this? Using polymaker PLA currently. Do I need to use a slicer+ computer to fix problems like these? I haven't sliced anything yet that I've sent to this printer, only sent things directly from handy to the printer.

This aside, I still really love this printer.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mattfl posted:

My brother was having similar issues with PLA and turns out he needed to dry his filament out. Of course he keeps all his stuff in his garage, in florida, where it's like 100% humidity all day everyday so that's not helping him. He dried out one roll that was giving him a lot of issues and after letting it sit in his filament dryer he bought for like 4 hours it prints perfectly now.

If I make a dryer, is there generally a timeframe for how long the benefits of that last before I need to dry it again? Is that a thing? I'm assuming it depends on the humidity of the area in which I'm printing but I figured I'd ask anyway.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

I tried doing a brim or skirt or whatever this particular thing is called, but I still had the print lift off the bed about 3/4 of the way through. Thankfully it didn't completely dislodge and move around ruining the print. Is this a bed temperature issue? I made sure the door was open and all the fans were on, and I mostly was successful with the bulk of the print, although I did get some slight issues with one section of it that had some small bridges:

(This is the underside and the top of the same section that's giving me problems.)

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Bondematt posted:

Did it separate from the brim while printing? If it did try lowering the brim-object gap.

That brim might be a bit small for that size of print, I would go up a bit on brim width too.

Brim-object gap? Unless I'm misunderstanding, I didn't think there was a gap. I thought it printed on top of the brim and the brim was basically just a bottom layer, although I guess it would make more sense if that was a "raft"? I haven't deciphered and memorized all this nomenclature yet.

Also, I'm using orca-slicer; can you give me any direction on where I would change this/these settings?

E: oh and yes, it separated while printing. It started off seemingly connected and as one piece.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

withak posted:

Try the built-in thing in Prusaslicer, it can add alignment studs also.

Do you know if this thing exists in orca, too? Or something similar? I'd love to make a multi-piece part for something that's too big to fit on my bed as a single piece.

I'd search but I don't know the terms so I don't know what to look for

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Is there a best practice for gluing pla parts together, and a best type of glue?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I saw mention somewhere of "tough" PLA, and was wondering, is that the same thing as PLA+?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Am I correct in thinking that I have to replace the whole hotend if I wanna change nozzles on the p1s?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

gbut posted:

Looks like it’s going to be a sick Subaru WRX wing.

"YOU wouldn't
DOWNLOAD
a SPOILER"

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
In reference to the person a few posts back mentioning the kobra 2 max, I'd never seen this printer before, but based on how it looks I'm curious, is this one of those printers where you have to tinker with it to get good prints? I'd love a large format printer but I went from maximum tinkering to no tinkering printers and never really touched anything in between so I have no idea what's out there and how things are now.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Might be getting slightly out of the scope of this thread, but it's still 3d printing so why not try:

Has anybody here ever done any metal 3d printing? I found a site called virtual foundry that conceptually seems very interesting to me. Wondering if this is worth digging into or if it's too good to be true, etc

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I forgot I bought a roll of black abs last year and never used it, and I just found it still in the box on my back porch. Never printed with anything other than pla but I'm about to run out so what better time to try something new.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mrbass21 posted:

I’ve never printed ABS either, but from what I’ve heard, you probably want to dry that filament first for the best first experience.

Ooh thanks for the tip. I'm not gonna open it til I get a dryer (probably tomorrow when I get paid ) then.

Edit: oh and on that note, is there a consensus on best dryers or ones to stay away from? I'd ideally like one that can hold 2 spools but one is fine too.

hark fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2024

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Taman posted:

Sometimes I'm still amazed I can just yeet a 526g print at this thing and it will spit out a plate like this 20 hours later.

As long as the roll is dry and your chamber is as warm as you can get it its not too bad.

What IS this?!? besides cool as hell

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

"You'll shoot yer i out, kid!"

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Toebone posted:

Crosspost from guitar thread: Got my Prusacaster printed off and assembled. Sounds surprisingly good for being plastic, superglue and $60 of parts off Amazon

Is that guitar body linked somewhere? That's cool as poo poo

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

withak posted:

What are those people doing with their ziplocs full of skull tokens?

Buying skull goods from the skull market obviously. Skull economy is booming now that the exchange rate has stabilized.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Printed a test print at smaller scale of this mandalorian helmet because a guy I work with said he'd pay me for a full size one. Seemed to be working well with supports, but the top looks pixelated sort of? And on the inside, you can see the difference in the same section. Any ideas what is causing this? Still trying to learn the ins and outs of the settings in orca, but it's been slow going since I can't dedicate as much time as I'd like to with this hobby.

P1s with polyterra PLA

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Javid posted:

My printer prints objects about 0.010-015" bigger than the model dimensions. This almost never matters EXCEPT for stuff like threads. Accordingly, I haven't had great results with printing threads that are modeled to spec. However, when I model the threads myself and slightly oversize the hole & undersize the bolt, it works gloriously

If you just want a silly giant bolt and nut that thread together, printing that nut a little bigger laterally without stretching the threads taller will probably get it done

Do you do a specific percentage size difference between bolt and hole?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Warbird posted:

Is my rough read that Bamboo stuff tends to be the rough "Apple" equivalent in the 3DP space more or less on point?

I'd say this is true except for the fact that the price point is actually worth the performance you get instead of being wildly inflated by it's popularity (to the same degree that apple products are, at least)

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Warbird posted:

Also, what's the go to platform for sharing more functional natured prints? I don't have an issue with Thingivese but it looks like it's mostly tchotchkes and other doodads of little note.

Would LOVE a site that was strictly for functional prints. That would be cool as hell.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Currently printing the printable pieces for an MPCNC because I got that tinkering itch again and I wanna learn a new thingy.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Don't ever post on social media about it because the original designer is lawsuit happy if anybody deviates from his published specifications.

Anybody else remember when they threatened to sue Thomas Sanladerer about it while he was doing a multi-video build series?

Lmao drat I should start designing similar interchangeable parts just to gently caress with him and then post them anonymously.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Yeah that's a relief and understandable.

I plan to build a lowrider once my garage remodel is done this summer and I have a place to put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Phrozens are the only hobbyist/prosumer-tier LCD resin printers that are widely-used by dental labs. They're the starting point I always recommend to small labs or independent techs looking to get into digital dental stuff. You don't need to print nightguards or surgical guides or ceramic-filled digital crowns, granted, but it's a useful indicator of them being generally well-regarded and supported by people who use 3D printing as an essential part of a more involved manufacturing environment that pays the bills.

e: speaking of ceramic printed crowns, this stuff is loving crazy and is kinda taking the dental tech field by storm: https://rodin-3d.com/product/rodin-sculpture/

Just absurdly strong and hard-wearing stuff, over 60% ceramic filler, FDA-approved for use as a medical device, and you can stain and glaze it like you would a traditional PFM or zirconia restoration (i.e. the ones you have to mill from a block of material using a $30k 5-axis dental CNC mill). and you can print it on a $500 printer, no problem.
It's also $1200 CAD a litre, but that's justifiable when you can turn that into 100 long-term temporary crowns and bridges or whatever.

I'm pretty drunk right now so I'm considering getting this poo poo and replacing all my teeth with printed teeth.