Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turn it until it creaks, then back off an eighth of a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Yeah mainly I just want to generate an STL, for example, a 2x2" square plate about 3mm thick, with a smaller 1/2" hollow square that's about 1" tall, in the middle of the plate, wall thickness also about 3mm, so I can glue that to the deck of the boat and stick the vertical mast in it, aka "mast step". Not much different from a patio umbrella stand.

The blender guy makes it sound like you have to modify a billion settings so that the STL file comes out the correct dimensions

This is exactly what the CAD-based modeling tools (Fusion 360 etc) are intended for. Draw a 2D sketch of your part with dimensions and hit the extrude button and you are there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah “cigarette case” sure lol.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

B) take orthographic photos of the thing with a ruler in the picture, scale and square up and adjust on the computer, and trace the shape directly in your software (or if the part is small, put it directly on a flatbed scanner)

This combined with plunking the photos down on appropriate planes in F3D or whatever and connecting the dots seems like the best bet for arbitrary shapes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Much greater bang for your buck with a vernier caliper. Plus you get more street cred.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is the rate of change of jerk called.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Depending on context, "snap" or "jounce".

Fifth derivative is "crackle" or "flounce"

Sixth derivative is "pop" or "pounce"

So first through sixth are: Velocity, Acceleration, Jerk, Snap, Crackle, Pop

But good luck finding a 3d printer firmware that goes further than Jerk. I think even your most anal of industrial CNC machines don't go any further than Snap.

EDIT: Here is way more information than you probably need to know about it: https://web.archive.org/web/2018062...klePop_docx.pdf

This rules.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the Prusa documentation says something like you should expect at least several hundred hours of printing from a nozzle if you aren't using any kind of abrasive filament.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For some people tinkering with the machine constantly while tryin to get stuff to actually print right is most of the fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baconroll posted:

Completed my 1st ever print - benchy of course. I'm totally blown away by the quality.

I've never actually seen a 3d printer in the flesh before, and the only 3d objects I've ever seen were years ago and kinda crappy.

I'm thrilled with the possibilties.

Only negative so far is the electronics box is far too small to comfortably get the wires in - if it was 1/3 bigger then it all be very comfortable.

If the wires aren't fitting then you have the wrong wires going through the wrong openings in the box.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Conventional wisdom is that the additional price of the Prusa is about what you would pay in necessary upgrades and the time spent tweaking and fine-tuning a cheaper printer to get similar results as the Prusa OOTB. Always possible to get lucky with a cheaper printer tho, and for some people tinkering with the machine is half the fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t forget you an rotate objects to fit diagonally on the plate, and turn off or move in the skirt to gain a few more mm if you want.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 13, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Prusa machines also come with phone/chat support where an actual person will help you fix any of the common setup/calibration issues.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably better to source some kind of rubbery feet that you can glue on after after printing. Would help keep the thing from sliding around on whatever surface it will sit on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They give you the files on a usb drive for a bunch of test prints. You will want Prusa Slicer to print your own stuff eventually.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

InternetJunky posted:

In terms of the machine being level, it doesn't matter at all for actual printing (the plate is still parallel to the LCD).

This is my pet peeve. We don’t care if the machine is level, we only care if the build plate is perpendicular to the z-axis. The machine will work fine on a tilt (within reason).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What does the back look like.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like to use this for z calibration, but you need to have a micrometer to get it right:

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/tool/first-layer-calibration-test (corrected link)

If you don't use this model, then I think the key thing in the default z-height calibration run that the machine prints is to make sure the solid square at the end peels off as a solid sheet. If the individual threads pull apart easily while you are handling it then you need to lower your z. The initial zigzag pattern is useful because the bead should be noticeably squashed down between the nozzle and the plate. If the bead looks/feels mostly round then you are too high. Crank down the z until that single bead looks visibly squashed and you should be pretty close.

The way they set it up at the factor your z should end up somewhere around -1.5 or lower. If you have done anything with the sensor height then it could be different.

Like someone else said, the back of that Prusa logo test model should be smooth with little to no visible lines.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 24, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you have a 3D printer then every problem can be solved by adding a cheap plastic part.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Before buying you have to decide whether you want your hobby to be 3d printing, or tinkering with 3d printers. (no judgement)

withak fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 2, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s not really a secret, there are plenty of buyers guides around talking about how printers at the $200ish price point are likely to require a bunch of work, if not a bunch of new parts, before you have a working machine. For some people the tinkering is the fun part. Up to you if you want to pay money to a company who operates that way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can’t believe you all bought the wrong printer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have also had people on conference calls ask what that noise is when I was in the same room as my running Prusa Mini. Putting a heavy tile under it damped it way down and people don't hear it now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also be prepared for all roads to lead to Prusa.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The layer shift is probably related to all of the long unsupported bridges at that same z.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One time I failed to tihhtrn my nozzle and the heaet was totally off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Another attempt at an unholy marriage of CNC machine and Mig welder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXniBbgbw0

TOT is a riot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PETG is less brittle, so overloaded parts will bend or deform instead of cracking or breaking. It has better abrasion resistance and it will last longer if it is in the sun a lot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PLA is usually stiffer than PETG. Also for food safety I would worry a lot more about the difficulty of cleaning porous surfaces than about the chemistry of the plastic itself.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 17, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always insist on calling it “perpendicularing”

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've heard/seen the term z-offset around but I'm actually not sure what that is. Is it a setting in the slicer? A setting in the printer software somewhere?

It’s a setting that controls the height of the nozzle above the print bed. If it is dialed in properly then the first layer going down on the print bed should be exactly your desired layer thickness. If it is too high then your fist layer won’t be solid or you won’t get good adhesion to the print bed and if it is too low then the first layer will look kind of gnarly and maybe also won’t stick properly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Definitely don't print TPU on a smooth PEI sheet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Now try something where stringing will be a factor. :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guess who just fixed a bunch of weird printing issues by buying a food dehydrator?

<— this guy

Shoulda tried this weeks ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

Prusa mini review:

having a light kit on my mk3s has spoiled me.

luckily the same guy made this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/883553120/led-light-bar-prusa-mini-please-read

I have this too, it is great.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thin stamped-metal wrench makes for less of a heat sink when you put it on a hot nozzle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problem is the machine detecting a runaway heating situation and turning off power to the hotend before the new nozzle gets seated.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s a safety feature. When something starts sucking a lot more energy from the hotend than usual then the machine appropriately assumes that a fire is about to start and cuts power to the heater.

Also not everyone has magic elf hands and can change a nozzle in 60 seconds flat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dry the filament before trying anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

It's a brand new sealed sample from prusa and it had been out of the bag, oh, 5 minutes? While I loaded.

Dry it anyway while you google other solutions.