Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Javid posted:

My PEI sheet, with which I was not impressed for the first while, has grown on me. The more scuffed up the middle part gets the better things stick.

Good work.

The genuine smooth ultem sheets are :discourse: once they wear in. Somewhere way back in the depths of the old thread I have an almost identical photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

The Eyes Have It posted:

Goddamn is prusament PC-CF such a nice filament :discourse:

Hell yeah CF filaments look so good. This is some ancient Colorfabb XT CF-20 used for a set of custom laser tube mounts. Such a flattering finish.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

some kinda jackal posted:

I REALLY need to re-consider buying an FDM again in the future :stare:

This is just on 10 year old filament in a mildly upgraded Ender 3 - Klipper firmware, Linear rail X/Y upgrade and an in-house adaption to an old E3D V6 short bowden setup I had laying around from an old delta. The nozzle is a hardened steel "high flow" aliexpress special that cost me £2. Sure it took some tuning and loving about but the print profile is barely modified from a standard PETG superslicer profile. e: This was first try too, no restarts. CF is quite

Deviant posted:

I am this close to going pure CF filaments for my cosplay print work because it just looks better without processing, but the AMS makes it a bit difficult to engage with unless I buy bambu CF

This is why I still wont go closed/cloud anything. Aside from the IP and regulatory issues for my occaisional professional jobs I sometimes just need to run a weird or nonstandard filament and I'm not gonna fight my printer manufacturer about it.

On that note - Might be printing some of that radiation shielding tungsten stuff in the future if I can even get ahold of some - had some interesting discussions with another local company last week although if it does happen theres probably going to be some hilarious NDAs to sign and I wont be able to show you guys anything production. Will obviously attempt to make the worlds heaviest benchy tho.

EDIT: I'm working on some more extruder mods related to multi filament at the moment. They're not ready for public release yet but maybe some goons with filament changers / multi-heads can actually help me with some market research outside my local bubble:

How often do you print more than one filament on a print?

What is the main gripe if there is one? Time to change? Waste? Complexity? Reliability?

When you do print more than one, how often is it more than two?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 28, 2024

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I dunno what the hell are you on about? sounds like I can't run niche filaments because AMS troubles which is what I said?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's really not my primary issue with bambu lol but sure, you got me, I could disconnect the AMS and use my fancy printer to do what the ender 3 can already.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

gbut posted:

Re: the monster printer

A family member saw my old Ender a while ago when visiting and got inspired to get one of their own. The whole thing spiraled into a rat rig that has an enclosed print volume of 700x700x2000 (or something close to it), is bolted to the basement wall for rigidity, and prints polycarbonate with the ease of PLA.

Ghod, I wish I had time to do a deep dive like that.

Missed this post before, that sounds cool as hell. I have a dream of developing a room-scale printer tied to the floor and ceiling with a huge pellet fed nozzle.

I'll do it when I Have Time

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

Sure buddy, keep thinking that.

My use case is not necessarily your use case friend.

E: to be clear, I have done nothing but state a few of my own reasons why bambu doesn't work for my use case. Why is everyone projecting and getting so defensive?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 28, 2024

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I didn't honestly think being against proprietary printers was a controversial opinion in the 3D printer thread but I admit I've not come down here in a while.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

There are several things a P1S does better than any ender, even ignoring AMS. Saying your Ender can do anything a P1S can do is the core of why you're getting poo poo on.

Ok but like I said, my use case isn't yours. The ender isn't mine btw, just one I helped someone fix up. Also the parts I posted are as good as anything my friends with bambu printers put out lately so I guess I don't agree?

I really don't have a problem with bambu, I actually suggest bambu printers to people who ask me my opinion in some cases. I just wasn't expecting to get brigaded for not having fully researched how to run a non standard filament in a one.

I had already discovered that I can't use one for enough of my client book that when I heard you couldn't run abrasives I didn't need to research why. Obviously any printer can be made to do pretty much anything with enough time and effort.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I was under the impression you didn't get access to the full features unless you went through their network toolchain, like if you disconnect it you just get a dumb SD card printer?

I know they're good printers, some of my contacts have them locally, it works good out of the box, like Apple, that's why I usually suggest them. I just can't use them for some of my clients even if I did the parts I print would come out the same as on my friends ender or my main delta or even my little £140 mini tinyboy frankenstein guy. Faster definitely, but that's not really a priority for me.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 28, 2024

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

The X1E is their solution to that

https://bambulab.com/en/x1e

It's cool and all but it's still a suspiciously cheap closed source and networked printer from Shenzhen. Forgive me if I don't take a printer company's word on it.

How's Bre Pettis getting on these days anyways?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I tried running an experimental E3D 0.15mm back in the day, maybe 20136, I think I still have it somewhere. It was a nightmare to tune due to it's very nature and the extruder drives, at least the ones I had available, at the time made it even harder. I had better luck with the .2 until it too clogged irreversibly.

I found for .~2 and under it is desirable to run the best quality, most consistent filament you have available. Otherwise tuning stuff like the multiplier or the pressure advance is a fools errand as the errors due to tolerances increase almost square to the size change, not proportionally.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 30, 2024

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

gbut posted:

Same. I came into this via rep rap promise, and you can take that away only from my cold, dead, voc infused hand.

I bought a reprap mendelmax (8020 framed) kit in winter 2012. I had never seen a printer in person let alone used one before but I was pretty disappointed in how crude it was so I *acquired* Autodesk Inventor and spent that winter on my boat designing a whole new delta printer.

Its finally going to get a full rebuild this year after over a decade of service. And by rebuild I mean it's probably going to reuse a chunk of the linear and mechanical components with a totally new frame, electronics and end effector.

I was never satisfied with the whole design so I only ever released parts of it that were applicable to other designs. Everything else got superceded by new designs but my magnetic rod ends still get a lot of downloads and even the occasional tip.

My ender friend and I were looking hard at voron for our next build. The ender got him hooked, and adapting my old V6 onto it taught him CAD. (Applying this and all the other upgrades taught him about wiring organisation and integration hell lol). He's just put together quite a promising corexy assembly in onshape though so maybe we're off down another rabbit hole lol.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sbfgfdJgkz1a2hxyk_720.mp4
See if this embeds, just a very short clip, testing some new parts cooling duct designs. Going to try and mount up the camera properly on a USB extension with the macro lens on tomorrow.

kid sinister posted:

What are you printing? The Incredible Hulk?

Careful, OP might also be Da J0k3r

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Finally had an excuse to try out fuzzy skin. It's part of a self watering plant pot I'm designing for a promotional item. I might dial the effect down a little more but I'm quite pleased and it holds water.

Javid posted:

This silly thing from a couple years ago

put in work today

This is sick as gently caress.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kid sinister posted:

I got my settings dialed in for printing with a wider nozzle for glow in the dark filament. It's printing pretty well. The problem now is that my prints won't stick! I got my bed at 60C, the max recommended by the filament I'm using. I've tried using glue sticks to no luck. What's left to do? Go beyond the filament's recommendations?

Your bed might not be hitting it's intended temperature, I checked one the other day that was only getting about 58 degrees when it was set to 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Roundboy posted:

It's time to post this again

https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/

It's not for your printer, but the concepts are still sound. When told to do x or y just use the specific method your printer uses

You want to pay particular attention to the offset calibration

This. Just follow the guide, don't skip poo poo.