Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just buy a Prusa should be in the printer recommendations :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Randalor posted:

Once a resin model was been washed/rinsed off, is it safe to handle with your bare hands, or is it only safe to handle once it's been fully cured?

I never touch anything that comes off my resin printer with bare hands until it's been fully cured. It's too easy for resin to sit in little cracks/holes on the model.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

Can you afford a Prusa? Get a Prusa
If not, Can you wait two months for a Prusa mini? Get a Prusa mini.
If not, can you swing an Ender3 pro? Get an ender3 pro
If not, get an Ender3

I think that is the complete newbie rundown for FDM at least

For resin it’s like uh
“Pick the one that looks the coolest from the Elegoo, Photon, Phrozen lineup”

Don't forget EPAX. I've had 2 EPAX resin printers and they've both been solid. They are a little more pricey but I feel a bit better quality and their support is outstanding.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Toebone posted:

What have people found to be the least smelly resin? I'm currently using gray Siraya Fast, which is much better than Elegoo ABS-like, but my wife still complains occasionally.

As someone who went thru this with his wife, these things

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086277CNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

work extremely well at cancelling out the smell.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Man I love this grey hatchbox PLA, just prints so easily.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Only negative so far is the electronics box is far too small to comfortably get the wires in - if it was 1/3 bigger then it all be very comfortable.

Good news, you can now print your own bigger electronics box!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

https://youtu.be/uUip88g6NEg

Here's my Shame. I'm thinking maybe the belts are tensioned too hard?

w00tmonger posted:

gently caress me I'm dumb as hell I figured it out.

I'm running it on my kitchen counter so it's echoing in the cavity of the drawers

lol I was gonna say, my man that's not the printer, that's whatever it's sitting on :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If I wanted something with more build volume than my Prusa, should I be looking at a Voron 2.4? That 350 build volume sounds awesome for printing full size Iron Man sized helmets. I understand the whole process of building a Voron, doesn't scare me, but is that the best option for something with that build volume?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

insta posted:

No, build a RatRig. They're designed to go big and don't have the problems Vorons do when going large.

Ohhhhh that looks interesting too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone in here built the Formbot Voron 2.4 kit? Thinking about pulling the trigger and either using the printed forward to get the printed parts or a seller off of etsy/ebay for them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

snail posted:

I have. Search the history for what I replaced, but it wasn't a huge amount. Mine was an earlier 2021 kit, a later 2021 kit was much improved. It's also make sure it's a 2.4R2 kit, as while the improvements aren't enough to make me go rebuild a good working 2.4, they're a definite improvement.

I'd suggest if you had a few extra dollars, look at the LDO kit, if only because the extra included bits are really worth it.

Klicky should have been official 2.4R2. Prove me wrong.

I've seen the LDO kits, but it looks like no vendor will have it until after April and I'm an impatient person lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Voron 2.4 350mm kit has been ordered from Formbot. Wish me luck!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I just ordered a 2.4 350 kit as well!

Yayyyyy

You order from formbot? What hotend did you go with? I wanted it shipped from china since that seems to be the quickest option and my only choice was the dragon standard, which I'm fine with.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My Voron kit is stuck in the lockdown in China :( Probably won't ship until next week.

The custom functional parts prints that I had done are shipping today though :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

I have a wowstick and it covers my use 99% of the time, and I absolutely love it

Wowstick 1F+ 64 In 1 Electric Screwdriver, Dual Mode Cordless Lithium-ion Charge LED Power Screwdriver (64 in 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H27G9NF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7MRWNNK2EQGM40NBXH7C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Well there's something I didn't know I needed until I saw it. Thanks!

If my voron kit ever arrives this will probably be a life saver lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yay, voron kit is finally released from quarantine and is on hopefully a not so slow boat from china and will be here monday.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp

The weekends project has been unboxed!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Todays progress

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp she’s alive and going through all the initial calibration steps!

That first flip of the power switch was exciting, no magic blue smoke though!

My Prusa is printing some of the non functional parts for it and I have a 5” touchscreen waiting to be installed. Hopefully will have it printing by the end of the the day!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

ohhh yeah. you 100% should not have anything non PTFE or silicone wire in there. The extruder motor for example should not have its wires in the chain to the electronics bay. Clip them, or add the connector to take proper wires through the printer.

Is it because of the movement in the chain to not run that set of wires in there?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

The stock wires that come with the motors are not coated in something that lends itself to repeated back and forth motion, especially with a tidbit of friction in there

Gotcha, I’ll pull them out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

First test print done

https://imgur.com/a/Not1U8T

Looks pretty good to me!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

insta posted:

Yes, ABS rocks.

Most Voron kits anymore (since people only care about kits) come with Dragons. Dragon + PLA + stock AB = jam. It happens, constantly. It's like 30% of our support tickets.

Just use ABS if you've built a Voron, and build something else if you want sweet CoreXY and PLA. There's plenty.

So I just finished building my 2.4 kit, I haven’t fully enclosed it yet but I’ve been printing PLA with a dragon HF for the past 2 days with 0 issues. I guess it’s because it’s not enclosed yet?

Edit: Just finished installing the 5” touchscreen.

Slowly printing all the additional skirts and whatnot.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 7, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well my Voron is happily printing a bunch of PLA latch panels and is in it's final home. Now I just need to find a way to mount a monitor out here somewhere so I can tuck the laptop away.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So my Voron has been up and running for about a week now. I'm getting consistently awesome ABS prints and I'm finding it easier to print with then PLA lol

I really need to move on from printing upgrades/misc parts for it though and onto bigger things but it's so much fun now that I finally have something other than grey ABS to print with, got an order for Fusion and Atomic ABS in yesterday.

I freaking love this thing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ilkhan posted:

That looks interesting. Full details?

Are you ready for a rabbit hole?

Because once you look into this thing you’ll be gone for weeks.

So basically, it’s a fully enclosed high speed ABS printing machine lol

So start here

https://vorondesign.com/

Now, you can either self source all the parts yourself or buy a kit from the 3 or 4 companies that make them. Mine happens to be a Formbot kit, but LDO is another popular one, or you can press your luck with a random AliExpress kit.

There is a large large discord community that you need to be a part of if you want to get out of this rabbit hole. There’s a few Facebook groups too, as well as a small Reddit community, but really the discord community is where you’re gonna get all the answers you’re going to have, and there’s going to be questions lol I think there’s even a few discord mods on here as well.

Total build time to print time was approx 40ish hours for me and I’m hearing that’s a fairly common build time. To me it was fun, I had the whole week offa work and I basically worked on it everyday and loved it. There are seemingly endless mods for it and all kinda cool things for it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who has t already built or hasn’t worked on 3D printers before, def not a babies first 3D printer.

I bought it because I was tired of chopping up parts on my Prusa and because I like to build things.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I don't have one yet, so not ready for it at this point. Maybe later on.
Whats the difference between the hot ends?

I'll let someone more knowledgeable about that answer, I personally put a Dragon HF in mine because I got a good deal on it.

I did my first real long(9.5hours)/somewhat complicated print last night

Had to get in on the Flexi dragon stuff

But, printed with Atomic ABS UV Reactive filament!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Did my first 2 color print yesterday.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3xdk0ZC

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Dual filament voron? Is that even a thing? Large volume, enclosed, all metal hot end, dual filament, high print quality is the end goal for a second printer for me. Voron checks 4 of those boxes. S1 pro is probably the first printer to start with and print parts for the second.

Nah just a pause command put in the gcode to allow for a filament swap and then a resume. Worked perfectly though.

The ERCF is kinda like Prusa’s MMU2S system if I thinking correctly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Serenade posted:

That looks really cool. I am going to deliberately not look into Voron stuff because I have enough projects to never complete.

...How big do Voron printers get though?

So mine is 350mm. I’ve seen 400 and up. I think you start getting into heating issues if you start going much higher.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

insta posted:

nah ERCF is nothing like the Prusa one.

it actually works

Lol, that was just the easiest way I could describe what it was.

Do you have one? Thinking that might be next on the project list lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Flexi Dragons and Crocs are fun prints

Here's one fresh off the print bed, scaled up to 150%

Next to his friend flexi dragon robot

Flexi Croc is printing in Fusion Ionized Cobalt Black ABS and Flexi Dragon Robot is in Atomic Neon Green UV Reactive ABS

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

at 350% this thing is going to be massive. Click for big

This is half of just the head:

Ender 3 print bed for scale:

Unfortunately I had a bit of warping in the ABS i am using, so I am printing the other half in PLA in a color i want to use overall just to see how it will match up. I think this part is probably burned though

Welp, I now know what's next on my list to print. I certainly don't need a 350% flexi rexi, but gently caress it!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

The 'improved flexi rex' guy open sourced his hinge design, and its really really obvious when you print in place an articulated joint and its just garbage. If i ever need to design something similar i am 100% using his rations and measurements.

There is another guy that has many paid designs (like $1-2) but a lot are free, and his stuff is just really cool with articulated hands / feet with a bone sticking out, that i want to make my multimaterial prints. But i need to snag some pretty filament again and make the dragon that seems to be the new 'hot' print.

I still will use the slug as my go to for using up the last of the spools i have

That's Flexi Factory and he has some cool stuff

https://cults3d.com/en/users/FlexiFactory/creations

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I give you radioactive Flexi Rexi!

https://imgur.com/gallery/5crcRBg

So, he's the original model scaled up 350%, so not quite as big as the one RoundBoy is printing, but still quite large.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Hilarious because my head alone is the size of the whole thing.

I ran out of green, and microcenter only had 2 spools of a not quite the same green, and 2 spools of any other mildly interesting color

So I bought 4 spools of pla+ in purple to redo it all. Only half of what I printed so far was usable, and I might just do the head in one pass since I have a smooth sheet . Reprints I think will be each section top and bottom

So I downloaded the individual files and loaded up the head and scaled up to 350% and decided, ya I don't think I need one quite that big lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

Neither do I, it was just a project we always wanted when we first printed the rex. It's going to use so much plastic

And probably be like 4' tall when he's done!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I just finished my Voron 2.4 a couple days ago.

Any tuning advice? I have a Phaestus Rapido with a Bondtech CHT 0.5.

I need to make a neon green flexi rexi for my son!

Spend some quality time and go through this

https://github.com/AndrewEllis93/Print-Tuning-Guide

Also, join the Discord groups, lotsa smart people in there.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Swapped out the latches holding in my panels with some magnet mounted ones, magnets are way cooler

Also some other misc reprints of various parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

:swoon: looks amazing!

What are the outside dimensions of that?

20”x20”x24”. It’s pretty big lol