Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Dominoes posted:

What use cases are y'all using SLA for? For context, I'm sticking with filament since I want to be able to solvent-bond parts to injection-molded ABS parts. And it seems like the process for FDM is more hands-off and safer, at the cost of poorer-quality prints.

When I want to print something mechanical, or do a design from scratch that needs a few iterations I do FDM for sure. But for art stuff that I'm going to paint, the results are just better with with SLA for what I do. (I mean I toally agree that resin is more work and has more safety reqs, it's sometimes annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Listerine posted:

What are some good fireproof enclosures, anyone have recs?

I've had a lot of problems with sourcing one for a reasonable price.. Tried Wayfair a couple of years ago and my order went from "in stock" to "oops actually we'll ship it in 5 months" so I cancelled it. :/

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I haven't bought anything FDM in a long time (except the PrusaXL preorder that I eventually cancelled, heh) - anyone able to share a quick TL;DR of their Bambu experience using the AMS? Like is having multiple AMS really for-real practical? Can you throw PVA in there as support material? That was kind of what interested me in the PrusaXL in the first place

Also are folks tending to go all in on PETG these days and skipping PLA?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Supports for pla is pretty much the only reason I keep petg around, I don't even know why I have a few spools around

Would you mind sharing a few photos of that? I'm curious how that looks

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Roundboy posted:

No? I haven't set up any ams stuff yet, but it looks just like normal supports, only you set the contact distance to zero and pla snaps cleanly off petg

My voron ercf is still sitting as parts I just haven't built it yet, but that is a 6 changer that would be fun. Maybe this weekend.

My bad, I thought you meant that you had already been using PETG as support for PLA.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

gently caress it, ordered. Already seen some people say they got shipping notifications for their orders.

I too said "gently caress it" and placed an order today :D

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Every time the AMS for Bambu machines is mentioned, I have to say "dogs of the AMS" out loud from Typing of the Dead/HOTD2. Anyone else, or just me? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezDts-449Y

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Man, my Bambu order is split into a lot of shipments.. Still no word on what's up with the cancelled printer deliveries but my extra AMS just arrived via FedEx

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

My two P1S just arrived - I could hear the UPS guy bringing the handtruck down the street, these are hefty! Hopefully the filament and other accessories arrive this week

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

P1S trip report:

So I bought two P1S combos and an extra AMS. My plan is to have one be a single material unit and then have three AMS on the other. If that turns out to be not interesting enough, I'll put one back on the single material unit.

None of the filament or the AMS Hub have arrived yet, so right now only one AMS is hooked up.

I was not prepared for:
1. How fast these things print
2. How little actual work there would be from open box -> press print
3. What the self-test process sounds like (seriously, how is there not a warning in the setup video to say "hey btw this is going to shake and vibrate like something is going terribly wrong but it's okay trust us")

I did a benchy on each, and they're now doing some larger test prints. The single material one is making the sample vase using some random PLA, and the AMS one is making one of those print-in-placed articulated octopus designs using two sample PLA colours (and support PLA for one spot under its mouth)

This is my first setup with multimaterial printing at home. Previously I'd only had that at work on industrial devices where models had to be specifically designed and exported as multi-file assemblies, in order for each segment to be individually selected for material assignment. (on the fancier machines, this could include rubber-like overmolding + various rigid materials in one print)

I was really impressed with the process here for adding adhoc custom colour. The software easily separated all the sections, where I could do the click -> choose material stuff, but then also being able to "paint" an arbitrary colour scheme and make use of the explode slider to move things out of the way: wow!

I had one error where the support pla failed to fully retract after printing a layer, so the printer paused and had me inspect it and press retry. (I think I didn't quite set that spool in place correctly the first time.) Things are looking fine now, but one setting I did for the phone was to change its iOS notification banner style from "temporary" to "permanent" so that I don't miss anything important.

Hopefully the rest of the stuff comes soon!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Canadians with an AMS setup: this microwave stand from amazon.ca works pretty well!

Gonna make some short risers for the legs to get just a teeny bit more clearance in the bottom shelf, but otherwise I can fully open the lid in the middle and top shelves.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Ooh, I should find the American equivalent. I got my P1S combo yesterday and I realized I need a proper table for this thing still.

I was originally looking at this one from amazon.com (mentioned on /r/BambuLab), but the shipping/duties to Canada were ridiculous for some reason

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Also, if you are already using IPA I would advise using different resin. Water washable resin has some bad characteristics in regards to how brittle it is and can sometimes have unexpected cracks form after the print. The brittleness of it also makes it harder to print with. An ABS like resin is typically the most forgiving and best for miniatures, if that is what you are printing.

Seconding the unexpected cracks.. I did up a nice little statue from a museum 3D scan in water-washable resin, fully painted etc. Everything was fine for a few months, and then it started visibly cracking in a few spots and now it looks kind of half-exploded.

I only started using water-washable in the first place because I'd moved to the Photon Mono X with the large wash/cure station, and didn't love the idea of having an 8 litre bucket of isopropyl alcohol. I'm coming around on it now though, I got a small flammables cabinet that I can use to store it when not in use. (overkill, I know, but still..)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Multi material prints came out great, but this machine likes to poop out a lot of filament. I'm printing a poop chute next and likely tuning the purge rates as i found on pintables. Painting stuff is -really- tedious and if you go outside the 'lines' its going to cause all kinds of extra swaps and add a ton of time.

So I tried using the Bambu Lab Poop Chute Bucket V2 today.. As you say, lots of colour changes means a lot of filament being pooped out.

What happened was that instead of all the filament falling on the floor, the bucket got full and backed up into the printer. I am definitely open to some alternative ideas because none of these bucket designs seem to be tested on real-world use

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Thanks! I'll give that a try today

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I gave this one a go today, and it also backed up into the printer like the other design, a few hours into a 30 hour print with six colours. Caused a layer shift and I had to start the print over. :(

I'm letting the printer just poop directly onto the floor again for now..

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Acid Reflux posted:

Pardon the messy desk area (I do a lot of model work right on my keyboard tray, hence the self-healing mat) and the poo poo picture in general... but this is Toymakr3D's Optimus Prime model at 150% scale. Stands about 30cm tall. The picture file name is "Floptimus Prime" because all of the ball joints are a little loose, I need to learn how to adjust tolerances in Orca Slicer, but regardless of that it was a fun print and build. I was never even hugely into Transformers, but these models are really well done and I'm going to do a bunch more.

That looks great! I did the Bumblebee car and robot models the other day. For robot mode I definitely had to shave a tiny bit of plastic from some of those joints

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

New firmware release for P1P/P1S:

https://twitter.com/BambulabGlobal/status/1688491998981009408

I was definitely thinking about this the other day:

quote:

Canceled the secondary menu for the light switch control. Now, selecting the menu item will turn the light on or off.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'm having a hell of a time with Polylite PLA and the Bambu AMS.. As others have noted, the cardboard spools are really not compatible.

I tried being clever and basically tearing the "wings" of the cardboard spool off, and swapping the core into a Bambu reusable spool. Like it fits, and sometimes it works fine, but it's not a reliable solution :(

Next step I guess is to try a full respool.. I've never actually had to do that with FDM filament before - I see people are doing fun things with drill attachments and whatnot?

The reason I'm using Polylite instead of the Bambu filament with the handy RFID stuff is because it has a nicer range of colours, and is available from multiple sources. (and will show up next day from amazon)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Sockser posted:

https://www.printables.com/model/478246-polymaker-spool-outer-ring-for-bambu-ams

There's several models out there that are approximately the same as this
Give it a shot

Good to know for future filament :D I was just seeing some tiktok that showed a person throwing something like this into the cardboard core (rather than an outer adapter), and then into the Bambu reuseable spools.

I'll try this first - i don't want to lose the filament I already tore the cardboard off of, heh

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Snackmar posted:

Good to know for future filament :D I was just seeing some tiktok that showed a person throwing something like this into the cardboard core (rather than an outer adapter), and then into the Bambu reuseable spools.

I'll try this first - i don't want to lose the filament I already tore the cardboard off of, heh

Update: It took a while to do them all but this one for the cardboard spools I already mangled, and this one that Sockser suggested for fresh cardboard spools all worked great, and the AMS tower is now humming along nicley and swapping filaments with no issues.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Was thinking about doing up one of those motorized iron man helmets for halloween.. Is that too stereotypical for a 3D printer haver? :D there seem to be quite a few designs out there these days, not sure which one to do (also it doesn't look like anyone has fully cracked the "oh god there's a lot of wires in my face" factor yet)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

The Bambu Lab A1 mini was announced this morning. This thing is cute! I don't need it myself, but assuming it's reliable like the other units, this should be a good budget option for a bunch of people.

(Also I assume someone will eventually figure out how to suspend the optional AMS lite above the main unit to save desk space)

https://bambulab.com/a1-mini

Also this is the weirdest promotion I've ever seen - have other manufacturers done this?

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 20, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Sockser posted:

Why does it both poo poo out purge blobs and also build a purge tower? Does the regular AMS also do that?

Yeah, that's how it works too on the X1 and P1 units. It squirts out a bunch through a chute at the back to get the material switched, and then finishes up on the purge prime tower

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 20, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Tremors posted:

It isn't a purge tower. It's a prime tower that gets the nozzle ready for the moment it starts printing the next layer.

Whoops, yes - edited my post :D

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Did my first bit of corrective maintenance on a Bambu P1S today.. The extruder clogged, and also one of the AMS units got a piece of filament stuck inside.

Happy to report that the maintenance videos were clear and helpful, and it was absolutely no problem to disassemble all the bits, unclog, and put them back together.

(I ended up shortening the length of the PTFE tube on that AMS as well, I think it was a bit too long.)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Bambu users - anyone else have an issue with wifi after this week's firmware update? One of my P1S units now has a really spotty connection for some reason :/

I did a factory reset and all that, same issue.. Next step will be rolling back to the previous firmware, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before I start trying anything silly

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

hm, i happened to open a 3MF that I'd saved in the latest Bambu Studio over in Orca Slicer, and it contains additional keys that line up with the X1E leak re chamber temperature, etc:

also an air filter?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

The Chairman posted:

I made a spool winder and use it to transfer new carboard-spooled filament to old plastic spools.

Just want to bump this - it's a great design that beats others I've tried in the past.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Anyone using one of the Y-splitter designs on their Bambu printer? Thoughts?

I got a roll of TPU the other day, and since it has to be used on the regular spool holder instead of in an AMS I was thinking I'd maybe I'd add a splitter.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Tremors posted:

I use and like this one: https://www.printables.com/model/430347-y-splitter-bambu-lab

That combined with using 3mm ID tubing throughout the system has run well and eliminated the occasional retraction errors I was getting.

Thanks! I've ordered the necessary connectors, I'll give that one a try when they arrive

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

After getting slightly worried about fumes from my pla printing in the living room I built an ikea enclosure and put a normal air purifier in, thinking of building a nevermore in a bit tho. Doesn't seem complicated, just need to buy a few small components. So far the air purifier seems to do it's job pretty well tho!

That looks great! I don't think I recognize the Ikea bits though - that's not a version of the Lack stuff is it?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

No it's a platsa cabinet with a sindvik door, doesn't fit snug but I have it on some printed feet so it works at floor height. I remember reading that platsa is not available in the US, tho.

Hmm, looks like it's not sold in Canada either. There's a double-high Besta that might work though..

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Bondematt posted:

Turns out I forgot to change the bed plate in OrcaSlicer.

Came out looking pretty neat though.

When I first read about the Bambu X1's "AI checks if you're using the right plate before printing" feature I thought who the gently caress would ever need that, but I too have done the same thing on the P1S :D

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Yeah, it's interesting, I've done some big chunky prints on my P1S units in PLA but never propped open the lid or the door.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I think I'm gonna give Mean Green a go in my resin setup. I really, really hate having so many litres of isopropyl alcohol.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I requested a quote for the Prusa PRO SLX nine days ago. Here's what I received today:

quote:

Dear customer,

This is an email confirmation that we have received your price quote request and it is currently in progress. We will respond as soon as possible.

Please take in consideration that we’re facing an increased number of price quote requests due to recent new product releases and reply times might be slower than usual.

Thank you for your patience and we apologize for any possible inconvenience caused.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

NomNomNom posted:

Bambu Labs just discounted their printers, best I've seen.

How much of a compromise is the p1p over the x1c?

IMO if you need one 3D printer, get the X1C. If you need more than one, get P1S units.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I noticed that the Anycubic app updated to support yet another new printer today (M5S Pro).. I feel like they should be running a $1k/year Patreon where they just send you a new printer every time they release one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

mrbass21 posted:

The dream.

I suffered for my “just tear off the sides of the cardboard roll” and had to basically re roll the filament onto a bambu roll.

I will never do that again.

I printed up this "pastamatic" filament rewinder that someone suggested, it works really well - I can confidently use whatever company's PLA I want in the AMS: https://www.printables.com/model/466883-pastamatic-filament-spool-winder-for-bambu-lab-x1c/comments/1181890