Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A lot of people don't understand that what is radicalizing your parents is not Fox or hosed up Facebook posts, it's the local evening news.

There's not a lot of scare posts about it because internet leftists don't watch their local news and it isn't often recorded or screen grabbed.

But holy poo poo it's just an endless stream of Boomer poison about how crime is up you're going to be killed in your home minorities are getting uppity.

Literally the most reactionary media we have is basic network news and no one is paying attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

you mean to tell me the... sinclair media dudes... are... bad...?

whoah

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Boomers even MSNBC boomers are conditioned to believe the local news is some impartial reportage. But it's not it's absolutely insane and conservative.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Office Pig posted:

you mean to tell me the... sinclair media dudes... are... bad...?

whoah

even if you eliminate sinclair the point is that every single intrepid local reporter with no agenda or orders from above or anything is going to produce this sort of reactionary garbage because thats what sells

nightcrawler was a documentary

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

yes i am aware it's a microcosm and post impotently about it here with a sarcastic mien in order to compensate for my inability to permanently disrupt the airwaves

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

we are not made to process any kind of media

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm sort of lucky in that I've got a couple alternatives to a Sinclair-owned network in my area but outside of freak events like the condo collapse, I really only pay it much mind during hurricane season. Even then there's plenty of room to make the argument that seasonal advertising piggybacks on the quad-hourly Storm Team Exclusive Hyper Elite MEGADAR Hurricane Tracking System updates to drive overconsumption through panic buying.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

op is wrong as poo poo just a big dumb party pooper mad their lawn didnt win the annual everson j littlemore parade float competition get some town pride, loser

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
In my experience this is true. I had a boomer at work ask me if it was really hard to get around in Minneapolis because of the Winston Smith murder protests. It's not, if something is going on its really easy to just drive around. Or all the people in the local news comments upset about George Floyd Square blocking traffic who would never willingly go anywhere close to there. If you live in the area you know its super easy to just drive down a block or two and go around.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
local news is good. they tell you the weather and here's a nice story about a kind officer that rescued a puppy from a dangerous black man

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

idk this stuff seems fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9krKXSfygk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvvnsvVJrdE

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

gotta get boomer eyes on those commercials somehow

also smh if youre watching local news weather and not running https://battaglia.ddns.net/twc/ and watching stormchaser youtube vids

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
there's a lot of bull poo poo in societey, op

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
"everyone" in my hometown is upset about the anatomically correct bull statue in front of Boris's butcher shop

I'll be watching from the park gazebo laughing and smoking as the circus rolls

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
the federal system must be destroy

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

if you want the best viewpoints, just look at the letters to the editor in your local newspaper (if they still exist wherever you might be), they fuckin rule

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
local tv station has been fighting a war against the city because a formerly superwide 2 lane street with 2 parking lanes has been rebuilt into a narrower 3 lane street and people are getting ticketed for parking on it. this whole thing was planned 3 years ago and has been done for 3 months, the city is just now issuing tickets after giving warnings
I go into work with the local news on the break room tv and they have been harping non stop about this one street. I seriously wonder if an exec is one of the idiots ticketed

edit:

quote:

Residents said they’ve always parked in front of their homes, but now their only option is to park behind their homes in an alleyway with poor conditions like potholes, crime as well as poor lighting.

“Instead, they go ahead and slap a citation on your vehicle,” said Busse. “We’re parking here because it is the safest, most practical option. And I’m sure if anybody else lived on this street, they would do the exact same thing,” he added. “You can see where they’ve been prying on top of the doors. And they trying to get into cars and the steel and radios or whatever they can find in the cars,” said Wolcott. “It’s not a good vibe, walking to your car and feeling like you’ve got to grip your keys because you don’t know who’s out there,” said Busse.

There are also deep potholes in the alleyway. Some so deep that residents said they’ve caused damage to cars. “There’s one more there. One there. It’s like every five to ten feet. There’s a big old crater in the alleyway, and it goes all the way down. That’s ridiculous,” said Wolcott. Above all, Wolcott said not being able to park near his home poses an issue for his health. “On top of that, I got cancer,” he said. “My neighbor has cancer, he shouldn’t have to carry his grandchild, his grand baby with bags from the store from the street, all the way to his house,” said Busse. Busse said as taxpaying citizens, they deserve better, and that he’s tried addressing these issues with the city.

“I’ve never heard anything back. They’ve never done anything,” he said.

these are people bitching because they have to park in the alley behind their house instead of on the street in front of it

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Jul 22, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

south florida local news has been absolute poo poo on the cia-led cuban protests.

not a loving word about the us-levied sanctions.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
oh you're a local news station? name one locality

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i got a lot of traction out of this talking point as a child but my grandparents never did change the channel

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

its just cops and consumption

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my local news has very attractive people. i mean it's miami so like, ya know, it's part of the tourist-y image that everyone/thing is beautiful here i guess.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

I enjoy the pragmatic reporting of Jackie Cain.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

local news is hilarious move to a more interesting place

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Someone please help me figure out what is going on with Community Activist Andrew Holmes in Chicago. He's always on the news, but I'm not sure what he does, besides get involved in car crashes? These are all separate incidents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9gM9vE1lY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxa_TdL2QWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoTSyG-ZvgY

And give out Easter baskets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjdYggFPSxQ

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

just take the train holmes

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Good soup! posted:

if you want the best viewpoints, just look at the letters to the editor in your local newspaper (if they still exist wherever you might be), they fuckin rule

print journalism is like what my family has always done out of college (I broke that trend lol sorry guys) and I used to get to read all the insane poo poo that got sent to them when I’d visit their job after school as a kiddo

also during Christmas season theyd decorate the tree in the newsroom with all the best letters to the editor and photos that the photojournalists took that they couldn’t publish for whatever reasons (usually gruesome stuff)

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

“Can you understand the word that are coming outta my mouth?”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

dxt posted:

In my experience this is true. I had a boomer at work ask me if it was really hard to get around in Minneapolis because of the Winston Smith murder protests. It's not, if something is going on its really easy to just drive around. Or all the people in the local news comments upset about George Floyd Square blocking traffic who would never willingly go anywhere close to there. If you live in the area you know its super easy to just drive down a block or two and go around.
The big problem is that Boomers have been conditioned to watch local news and they think it doesn't have a viewpoint when in fact it's got an extremely reptiloid viewpoint and it's a gateway drug for your more extreme right wing nonsense and facebook memes about how things are these days and that just leads to the even harder stuff

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I firmly believe most journeys of Boomers into crazy land starts with regular local news viewing and yet I never see the Atlantic or New York Times talking about this

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
News is a lie, nothing is new, time isn't even loving real have you ever heard of the time cube

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

well this got horny really fast

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Public airwaves all owned by the same billionaires you say? They know better what we need then we do.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
local small business owner has things for sale more at 11pm and also 5am with the rise and shine crew the blacks are coming

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Victory Position posted:

well this got horny really fast

A beautiful person can also be a great journalist, op. Look at George Will.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one of the funniest types of horny is the freak who obsessively tracks, records, and ultimately stalks into a restraining order their local news anchor woman

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the local NPR in Seattle constantly hosts local police and business lapdog Brandi Kruse, sometimes together with the lovely mayor’s weekly power hour on the Record

https://twitter.com/BrandiKruse/status/1405523916961968133?s=20

ghastly person

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

mawarannahr posted:

the local NPR in Seattle constantly hosts local police and business lapdog Brandi Kruse, sometimes together with the lovely mayor’s weekly power hour on the Record

https://twitter.com/BrandiKruse/status/1405523916961968133?s=20

ghastly person

Ah so that's how all those resellers on Amazon get their stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Media literacy is good