Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SirSamVimes posted:

Solar Beam seems way too good to even consider going Petal Dance.

Absolutely, just sniping people from a mile off feels great.

There does seem like an obvious optimal build for most characters. I play Talonflame and was spamming Fly until I realised Brave Bird was Fly but doing a shitload more damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm seeing rumbles that Zeraora might actually be physical, not special

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mfcrocker posted:

I'm seeing rumbles that Zeraora might actually be physical, not special

Seeing more and more info suggesting that Zeraora is physical, so stick with physical items. I might go test it in a minute.

Also yeah, as a hardened DOTA support I'm having to come around to the fact that I'm going to need to play carry as someone with MOBA experience in a game played by a bunch of kids. At least early doors, you're going to need to be that person who can pro-actively get poo poo done, start engagements etc.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hah goddamn, I main Talonflame and just got their holo set in the gacha

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Space Fish posted:

Only a few matches in, but my best role (as Talonflame, so far) seems to be guarding whichever lane my team neglects, having slapfights in No 'Mon's Land between bases, healing, and hunting npc pokemon to evolve and build up a charge for whenever the enemy team forgets I was in the neglected lane.

Fly is a perfect move for a newbie like me. People are mastering their combos and teamups, just let me back up for a second and figure out my play, including diving back in to fight.

Try Talonflame as a jungler/central area dude, it really needs to hit level 7 to start murdering people.

Also please please take Brave Bird over Fly, the movement bit of it is the same, the self-damage is negligible and it does an absolute poo poo-ton more damage.

Talonflame is basically all I've played so far, might try to get into Machamp too

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Michaellaneous posted:

So how P2W is this game?

At the top levels, potentially pretty bad. The main culprit is being able to level up your held items to 30 which takes a lot of resources.

It's conjecture on how many people will actually bother thought and if you're just jamming unranked or aren't pushing for Master in ranked, I highly doubt it's going to be a problem at all.

E;F,B

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
There's nothing particularly amazing in the gacha anyway beyond the holo. Only other item I wanted was the pink hoodie and that's come out for me too.

Most of the stuff in there is available for fashion tickets too

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the item that gives you a stack of extra sp attack when you dunk (six stacks total) so I've been killing one mouse and for 1pt and dunking 3 or 4 times since a 1pt dunk takes like 1 sec and is hard to interrupt. It gives a huge advantage early game that I can snowball with. The trick is to get just one point. Any more and it takes too long to dunkachino.

Yeah, it's basically guaranteed if you have the Score Shield too. It stacks up to 6 times by the way

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I don't know how many times I've seen a teammate just walk on past a fight going on, like welp, nothing to do with me! I understand if newbies aren't watching the minimap, but I'll be fighting someone in lane or defending a goal and just over the wall there's a teammate fighting a jungle creep, and he's gotta be able to see me right on his screen! I also had one particularly infuriating moment when I had 50 points and was waddling over with two other teammates to score, and an enemy Gengar and Machomp jump on me out of a bush... and my two teammates keep on walking like nothing's happening while they beat me to a pulp and steal my lunch money.

On the flip side to this, I'll often stick to hitting creeps if my lane partner is taking a dumb-poo poo fight that will lead to them getting killed and would lead to me getting killed if I joined in

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like I'm having to learn this the hard way as well.

If it's the first couple of minutes and the fight is on their goal? It's probably a dumbshit fight.

There's a few mons who can hack it that early but mostly I play stuff that's totally useless til at least L5

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mandatory lesbian posted:

So like, is there an actual descion to be made about whether to go top lane or bottom? Is it just whether youre better at fighting rotom or drednaw or is there some like strategy i lm not seeing

I'm not quite sure, I've just been doing whatever the game suggests in Battle Prep

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Avalerion posted:

Amazing, thanks! :cheers:

Another question, how do battle passes work? I'm temped to drop five or however bucks down on that pirate cinderace but... if I'm understanding it correctly I won't actually get it, would still have to grind? :bang:

You can pay for battle pass levels if you want, but that'll get pricey. Yeah, you'll have to grind.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Goddamn Cinderace does such an absurd amount of right-click :stare: think I’m in love

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's a new update today, any patch notes? But yes, Cinderace is stupid. He's impossible to deal with.

Adds Gardevoir, fixes some small poo poo like the daily rollover time being 0000 GMT rather than whatever stupid wrong poo poo it said. Don’t think there’s anything balance related

E: if you scroll down on the maintenance notification on boot, the patch notes are there but pretty sparse:

Bug fixes
Text fixes
Shop Updates
Bug fixes: Charizard

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 28, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mandatory lesbian posted:

What does this mean? Like, you can spam the r-button with her?

Na, more talking about auto-attacks. Sorry, dota habit :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kalko posted:

Ok, take this with a grain of salt because I'm bad, but Gardevoir's Psyshock seems really strong.

Purple landmines appear around a target and each hit lowers its cooldown. I was just standing on the edge of teamfights chunking nonstop.

The ult is basically Gazlowe's Grav Bomb :

Psyshock is really strong, especially early game. Tears through health pools like Cramorant

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay, I have to say something because I'm going insane

Trying to score on the middle set of towers is a waste of time. It's basically impossible. Respawn timers are like five seconds and they can use the jump pad to endlessly interrupt you. You're not going to score the +50, you're going to keep trying to fight the enemies endlessly until you die. Stop trying to score so hard, it's not worth the risk. Just go level up. If you're two levels above an enemy, you get basically zero exp for killing them, and if they just respawned, you're not knocking any aeos energy off of them, so you gain absolutely nothing for trying to battle them in the goal bubble. You're just going to die and give them comeback EXP for when Zapdos eventually rolls around, where your 30-point goal will be rendered totally obsolete anyways. Plus, if their middle towers are still around, they're very easy to run to and score on when the defenses are down. Please. I'm begging you. Stop trying to score on the middle towers unless you see literally the entire enemy team in a different lane. Stop trying to fight people under the middle goals. Please stop.

Thanks, I needed this. I think I sorta knew it but brains are dumb.

(The other exception is probably if you get a rotom in that time, you may as well get a free dunk)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm REALLY curious what the allowed MMR spread is among teammates per game. Like, have other people made it to Expert 4 and still dont know basic rules about the game? I just can't believe that someone who has played a similar number of games would not know that you have to do Zapdos

You can tell teammate ranks from the top right corner of their profile border. Red is Great, light blue is Expert etc

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The proper comparison to do would be between someone with level 30 items and someone with level 10 or 20, both of which are totally achievable without dropping a dime on the game. The stats between 20 and 30 in particular are very marginal and won't make any real difference, certainly not enough to overcome skill or tactical superiority.

The monetisation in the game is definitely on the aggressive side, but folks moaning about P2W are being reactionary.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

gay_crimes posted:

Dunno if you all played other MOBAs, but small percentages are huge when it gets more competitive and you are ladder climbing

I do play other MOBAs and this stuff matters at a much higher rank than most people are (or the rank they think they “should” be).

If Unite ever gets an esports thing going on it’ll be a problem but the vast vast majority of players have way more to improve on before the marginal benefit of the last 10 item levels

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bobulus posted:

Been working on the daily challenge stuff since picking this up last week.

I feel like getting the MVP for day 7 of Crustle is going to be the trickiest thing for me. I've mostly been playing Eldegoss and supporting my team. I'll typically be middle of the road in terms of points scored, with a high number of assists and a low number of kills, which rarely nets me the MVP title.

Do I have a literal day to complete the day 7 requirements? Is this going to disappear at server reset tonight?

Nope, you have 22 days or something. It should have a countdown timer somewhere on the page

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've been doing jungle Cinderace and yeah he rules. I think the build is Blaze Kick (makes you invincible during the attack itself and then increases your attack speed afterwards) and Feint (more invincibility). Pyro Ball just takes too long to cast and leaves you vulnerable during the animation. You could maybe take Flame Charge against Crustle, I've killed enemy Cinderaces with Rock Tomb a fair few times. Attack Weight, Muscle Band, Buddy Barrier

I'm not super sold on Attack Weight, I think Scope Lens might be better. Attack Weight is a little bit "win harder when you're ahead"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DLC Inc posted:

is it just me or is Cinderace autoattack just loving insane. I've been getting destroyed by them lately just with normal attacks, it seems

It's exceptionally loving insane

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I know it’s obvious, but don’t spend a single penny on the gacha. I’ve not even finished my free allowance from the 2nd week yet and I’ve almost got every single item on offer from it or fashion tickets

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Varinn posted:

the p2w stuff is bad but almost entirely because it gives moba players the thing they crave: something to blame their losses on

if not for the perfidious whales, my pure skill wouldve carried the day -some redditor respawning and jump padding into a 1v4

you have to really intensely farm hard until you evolve. you can do some fighting as raboot, but if you're getting washed just keep doing safe farming. forcing teamfights will just keep you behind the curve

With that said, Scorbunny/Raboot are excellent at punishing enemy overextensions in lane

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

I honestly don't know why the other supporters are considered supporters, honestly. Neither of them have heals or team shields except in their ult as far as I know, and not much in the way of support buffs either. They've got CC and walls, but you see that in defenders and attackers too, like Crustle and Ninetails. I would have thought Wigglytuff would have been a defender with the kit she has, but maybe she doesn't have enough health to make the cut? And Mr. Mime is kind of a weird attacker type that can make walls and do AOE damage and steal enemy pokemon's defense? IDK. Eldegoss is the only pokemon that really seems like a support, currently.

(e: also wigglytuff is weird looking I wanted to be jigglypuff and they goddamn well know it, they should have just ignored her evolutions like pikachu.)

Traditionally, a MOBA support would be someone who is strong early game and can "support" their carries to get them to the point where they wreck face.

Honestly it feels like the biggest traditional supports in the game are pokémon like A-Ninetales

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man Veteran rank games are somehow even worse than Elite. Seems like all the things I was finally starting to see (competing for enemy creeps, not fighting under the enemy bubble) are now just back out the window. Had a Snorlax that died three times in the first three minutes, and the enemies just totally scaled out of control from him. After the game I took a break so I wouldnt get him on my team again, but he apparently took a break of the exact same amount of time because I got him again and he did the exact same thing. Next game my Ralts just went AFK for three minutes, came back and started jungling

I had a lot of this today when trying to rank up to Veteran. Got there in the end but just some of the worst teammates I've had so far

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Someone has already tested stuff to get hard numbers and holy poo poo Eldegoss was nuked from orbit

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, from playing around a bit today it seems like the nerfs weren't quite as severe as they looked numerically. Cinderace is still pretty good, it just doesn't happen to melt people any more.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, that's been my problem with attack weight. Win more when you're winning, doesn't help you when you're losing

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

War Wizard posted:

Sorry if any of you find yourselves being shoved into a wall for 6 seconds straight while my homies beat on you. I'm just laxin' over here. :frogc00l:

Edit: I had a game in which, when faced with having 10 HP, and charging straight for a berry, the bulbasaur on my team ate both and left me for dead. They'd go on to AFK when no one came to their rescue. What I'm trying to say is, there's too many players running for personal glory. People keep preventing my lax from leveling all the time by scooping up my kills. Even when I'm underleveled beating on mobs.

Sorry but you almost certainly aren’t the priority for last hits, especially at the start where you’re a god amongst mortals

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

I generally do not give a single gently caress and farm everything I can even with Snorlax or Eldegoss. I will try to split the opening minions with my lanemate, but anytime I walk anywhere on the map, I'm gonna kill every single wild pokemon on my way there. If I'm strong enough early, I can just poo poo all over the enemy laners and then the attackers on my team can level up easily enough. I'm only Expert rank -- maybe this gets better at Ultra or Master rank when you don't get nearly as many useless lumps masquerading as teammates, but I consider an extra level on my own character, whoever I'm playing, as way more valuable than a level on some random jerk that picked Cinderace but doesn't give a gently caress about objectives or scoring goals and doesn't pay enough attention to the minimap to notice a teamfight happening just offscreen.

Sure, though this is pretty similar to the players running for personal glory that you're moaning about (though nowhere near as dumb as that Bulbasaur)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

That wasn't me! I'm of the mind that you have to play to carry at lower ranks, which is not exactly "personal glory" but being a little more selfish so you can handle more fights without help from your team. I would leave the second berry for the other laner though haha.

Oh I know the Bulba wasn't you, don't worry! I agree with needing to play carry somewhat at lower ranks but you should probably be doing that from the carry role and not hamstringing your actual (bad) carries by nicking their last hits.

Contrary to popular belief, everyone needs some farm in MOBAs and moreso Unite than others but falling behind as an actual carry is utterly miserable and pretty game-losing

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I end a fair number of games with really low points scored because my goal is to win us the teamfight, I'm not going for a big dunk unless every enemy is dead (never) and if I die and take two or three enemies with me that's a worthwhile trade.

Also, I cant remember who but someone said "dont take fly" and I think that's very incorrect, Fly is a MUCH more reliable escape move because you don't have to aim the icon and wait for the small charge-up, it's just an instant nope-out escape and that's really valuable in a game where you're ahead in levels (which you should be as a speedster/jungle) and are a big EXP pinata for a losing team

I said don't take Fly before the balance patch, now it's the better option

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tofes posted:

Lost a game 100 to 1000 points today and some idiot reported me for abusive voice chat. I've never heard anyone talk in the game, I didn't even know this game had voice chat. This happen to anyone else?

People are abusing that report option to punish players they're mad at

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zarick posted:

Is there a way to see the actual score before the end of the game? If not it's really aggravating to not be able to tell. You can sort of tell in the 5v5 map by the progress of the goals but not always.

Nope! Only place it shows is in spectate mode

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Had my first proper big loss streak in ranked with 6 on the bounce. Thank gently caress I had 3 games worth of rank protection

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This game has some absolutely insane loss streak technology. I would have gone from Vet to Ultra in like three hours if not for a nine-game loss streak at the final game

Also I use my 8bitdo controller because my joycons are hosed from drift. I still have a huge issue with the dead zones on the right analog stick, so like if I flick the stick to use eject button it will very often rebound the other direction and Ill blink into the enemy and die. Its taken a while to train myself to hold the stick until after I actually do the input to make sure this doesnt happen

Yeah, mine was in Vet too. Just a few bunches of teammates that flat out don't understand the game :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm a little tired of playing p5 support and then being abandoned in lane to die. I bought Gengar. Any builds/tips? I'm going to take him into practice for a bit and learn.

Which lane are you in? If you're bottom yeah, your team shouldn't be abandoning you pretty much at any point. If you're top, it's pretty common to leave a defender there (usually Snorlax) whilst the rest of the team fucks off to go get Drednaw.

If you're top playing a non-defender support, consider bottom lane instead if you can or go join in the Drednaw fight and let your top goal get killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Chadrizard is an amazing username