Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Japan is running what's probably their most stacked card since COVID tomorrow morning even tho we still don't even know what the main event is. Ibushi's been suffering from a serious pneumonia related illness and seems doubtful to return. Tana cut a classic GOAT go home promo on this morning's show and laid down a challenge if they need him. That *seems* like the way to bet but otoh there has to be some genuine hope that the original plans can still happen if they didn't make it official right there.

Other than what's almost certain to be a fantastic main it's a loaded card filled with title matches and an Okada singles match. If you're one of the people who are curious about Shingo as champion but have grown sick of the weak split cards they've booked this year this is the time to check back in.

The preshow featuring a New Japan Ranbo with handcuffs starts at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST/17:00 JST with the main card starting an hour later.

WRESTLE GRAND SLAM in TOKYO DOME
July 25th
Preshow: 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST/16:00 JST
Main card: 4:00 EDT/9:00 BST/17:00 JST

Preshow: New Japan Ranbo with Handcuffs for Provisional KOPW 2021
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Championship:Bullet Club(c) (Taiji Ishimori and El Phantasmo) vs. Mega Coaches
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship:El Desperado(c) vs. Robbie Eagles
Special Single Match:Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cobb
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Championship:L.I.J (c) (Tetsuya Naito and SANADA) vs. Dangerous Tekkers
IWGP World Heavyweight Championship:Shingo Takagi(c) vs. Kota Ibushi or perhaps more likely Hiroshi Tanahashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thauros posted:

If you're one of the people who are curious about Shingo as champion but have grown sick of the weak split cards they've booked this year this is the time to check back in.

it me

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Card is stacked as hell, everything but the Ranbo looks like it could very well be a MOTYC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddamn now that is a loving card.

And yeah, love that whoever ends up being the opponent in the main event the match is going to be loving incredible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Well, that's answered my question about if Ibushi is confirmed out yet.

Why are they running back LIJ Tekkers again? Oh my god Gedo you suck at Tag Team booking. Bring in an outside team, have Strong BJ challenge or Astronauts or just build a new team. Ot two, or three or four even!

Oh well, it's still a big New Japan show so there will be plenty to like. Hope Kota feels better.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

forkboy84 posted:

Well, that's answered my question about if Ibushi is confirmed out yet.

Why are they running back LIJ Tekkers again? Oh my god Gedo you suck at Tag Team booking. Bring in an outside team, have Strong BJ challenge or Astronauts or just build a new team. Ot two, or three or four even!

Oh well, it's still a big New Japan show so there will be plenty to like. Hope Kota feels better.

He will run lij v tekkers for the next 3 months and have tekkers win the feud

Then he will bring in the next tag team for them to feud with for 3 months where tekkers lose the title and battle to win it back

Repeat forever

This tag team booking is easy peasy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Look, this is Gedo and tag teams we're talking about here, as long as we get any kind of good matchup it's the best of all possible worlds.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Look, this is Gedo and tag teams we're talking about here, as long as we get any kind of good matchup it's the best of all possible worlds.

So long as it's not g.o.d I'm happy tbh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Burn Down Canberra posted:

So long as it's not g.o.d I'm happy tbh

He's going to make me as tired of Tekkers as I am of GoD.

It kills me that he spent his career as a Tag wrestler and can't be hosed to book the division.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

he has one of the company's top guys holding the belt and feuding with an established and over tag team. it's the number two title on japanese shows rn and this is like the last time i'd complain about that company's often incredibly bad tag title booking

speaking of other titles, hiromu's been cleared for anyone still unaware and i imagine he makes an appearance on this show in some capacity

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The atmosphere is gonna be worse than some of the late Inokism era dome shows but the card is still good. Wonder if we get surprise debut/appearance to spice up the rest of summer of juice up a G1 that will probably be mostly domestic except Cobb/ZSJ.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Card is stacked as hell, everything but the Ranbo looks like it could very well be a MOTYC.

When they first announced the handcuff stop I imagined everyone getting injured from being tossed over the top rope while handcuffed. The actual rules are much safer but far less ridiculous.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1419100713532092416?s=21

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's not really a shocker

Gonna be a great main and they actually got lucky they didn't book Tanahashi in anything

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While I'm definitely not happy that Ibushi got pneumonia, I sure as poo poo am happy that we get another Shingo vs Tana match.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah that's not really a shocker

Gonna be a great main and they actually got lucky they didn't book Tanahashi in anything

Gedo knows that you always need an Ace up your sleeve.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Surely this'll be a routine defence for Shingo to finally give the belt the beginnings of legitimacy.

But on the other hand, GO ACE

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Can’t believe NJPW is running an empty dome show but let’s do this

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That is an empty looking Dome.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh man poo poo look weird

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jeez, that's desolate

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thank you for the rules rundown Chris

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought the main card started at 3, when does this thing start for real, geez.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Presuming we get some more people for the main show, but jeez.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Who designed this seating arrangement, Triple H?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh hey, it's Chase. I assumed he was still in Texas

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MJeff posted:

I thought the main card started at 3, when does this thing start for real, geez.

1 hour

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MJeff posted:

Main show in one hour

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tokyo dome looks very sad

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Could be that people just aren't super interested in the gimmick Ranbo and will turn up later, and to be fair I can't completely blame them.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GoK deserves better

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, at least there are a couple of full sections, but still looks p empty.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hopefully great okhan chops chase straight out the ring

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan covid really ruining these baseball stadium crowds

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The crowd applause doesn't sound nearly as bad as I feared

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SG Bamboo posted:

GoK deserves better

Definitely deserves better than Chase and goddamn Honma.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

The crowd applause doesn't sound nearly as bad as I feared

Yeah the stomping sounds pretty dope actually

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Such history behind that Texas Heavyweight championship

ffs PLAY MAKABE'S ACTUAL MUSIC YOU DICKS

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Makabe is a movie star

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SG Bamboo posted:

Such history behind that Texas Heavyweight championship

ffs PLAY MAKABE'S ACTUAL MUSIC YOU DICKS

Is Naito gonna have to strip down in front of Kidani AGAIN!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Thank you SG! Not awake really over here.