Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That was just remarkable.

When they tell the story of wrestling in the pandemic, when they tell the story of Shingo's first tile reign, the fact that he and Tana put together a match this good, this storied, this heartfelt in this short a period of time will deserve a chapter to itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also (discounting the preshow because who cares) this was not only the best show I've seen all year, it's in contention for the best show top to bottom that I've seen ever.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

You're goddamn right Shingo, Tanahashi is great

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like, I feel goddamn drained because of the pure quality that I've just witnessed.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I think I liked that better than their match in January, this is up there with Tana/Jay in terms of emotional storytelling this year. The Ace is an absolute master in the ring

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus, when Japanese fans can make noise again they're going to absolutely lose their loving poo poo.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TWIST

OH FFS

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
HAHAHAHA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EVIL.... no man. No.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Oh no.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

3 people clapped.

Audience are just drained, I think, but this is being met with very little indeed.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Suppose it's good to have a defence with a foregone comclusion to prepare for the G1

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I got excited until I realized it was EVIL

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, I guess Shingo can beat the poo poo out of EVIL, why not?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just gonna pretend this bit didn't happen :colbert:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Your next darkness world champion

This is such a cool theme btw

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Audience goes mild.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This is a bit like if the best Marvel movie had a post credits sequence that showed they were bringing back the Edward Norton Hulk.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

the theme is amazing shame about how they handled everything else wuth him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yeah, EVIL's theme rules. I also really like EVIL but his heel turn has been really, really badly handled and I'm not looking forward to a match with where Dick Togo runs in at some point to put a garrotte around Shingo's neck.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
C'mon Gedo, it's not too late to course correct.

But disregarding that, I just wanna say that sometimes I forget that New Japan is home to the best goddamn wrestling on the planet and they always manage to remind me why with shows like this.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

the theme is amazing shame about how they handled everything else wuth him

I think the Naito Power Struggle match hit the right amount of wackiness

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shingo just got helped to the backstage interview area to scream that EVIL is drat right he's next to get his rear end kicked :hellyeah:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I can't believe they're main eventing a baseball stadium with Shingo/EVIL. I know it's only Saitama and those people don't know any better but I'm sure there'll be some Tokyo folk going to the show.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think Shingo is a strong enough of a draw on his own that it makes up for main event EVIL

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not really thinking about the drawing part because it's not like that matters now

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I can't believe they're main eventing a baseball stadium with Shingo/EVIL. I know it's only Saitama and those people don't know any better but I'm sure there'll be some Tokyo folk going to the show.

Well with NJPW’s bad luck this year you just know……nothing is going to happen and the match will proceed as planned.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As long as they have the good sense to let Ishii murder Dick Togo before the match then Shingo/EVIL should be a perfectly good Beef Battle.

But then again Gedo seems weirdly enamoured with the idea that the big scary guy having to cheat like a motherfucker in every single match so who the hell knows?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Well with NJPW’s bad luck this year you just know……nothing is going to happen and the match will proceed as planned.

Japan's COVID rates will plummet, the vaccination rate will skyrocket and they will have the all clear to do the show with 100% attendance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey guys, I was just thinking, you remember that amazing match Shingo Takagi and Hiroshi Tanahashi had at the Tokyo Dome on July 25th? God that was great, gently caress what a match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

As long as they have the good sense to let Ishii murder Dick Togo before the match then Shingo/EVIL should be a perfectly good Beef Battle.

It would be fun to have a character who takes out Togo and similar cronies in every match, kind of like Kazarian does with the Elite in AEW.

Some sort of...

Bullet Club Hunter?

Oh god, what have I just reawoken?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

It would be fun to have a character who takes out Togo and similar cronies in every match, kind of like Kazarian does with the Elite in AEW.

Some sort of...

Bullet Club Hunter?

Oh god, what have I just reawoken?

Yoshitatsu, Kazarian & Billy Gunn vs. EVIL, Dick Togo & Doc Gallows at Resurgence 🙏

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's really funny to remember that EVIL was briefly the most over guy in the biz less than 4 years ago, when he pinned Okada in the G1.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Hey guys, I was just thinking, you remember that amazing match Shingo Takagi and Hiroshi Tanahashi had at the Tokyo Dome on July 25th? God that was great, gently caress what a match.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that and also literally every other match in the Tokyo Dome on July 25th. Good times.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking about that and also literally every other match in the Tokyo Dome on July 25th. Good times.

Anything that happened before the start gong at 1700JST and after the ending gong at 2030JST didn't happen.

This is probably the NJPW show of the year though

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Yoshitatsu, Kazarian & Billy Gunn vs. EVIL, Dick Togo & Doc Gallows at Resurgence 🙏

it's time to forgive captain new japan for getting into debt with questionable people while gambling and bring him back

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

main event

Shingo Takagi is the greatest wrestler alive and Hiroshi God drat Tanahashi isn’t far behind

Also fuckin lol @ another EVIL title shot gently caress this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Still hootin and hollerin about the show. God drat. Felt like a tour de force where NJPW showed that whenever they aren’t spinning their wheels, doing poo poo-rear end weak one-match cards and Bullet Club clusterfucks, they can put on the best show on the planet.

Pro wrestling is good, and when it’s good, it whips rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

ThePariah posted:

I got excited until I realized it was EVIL

Yeah I was hoping for...anything else.

Should be a rad match as long as Shingo wins.