Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Though given who contributed to the Camarilla source book this is dubiously canon given that that book was the book that literally almost started an international incident after the then management had spent like a year and a half signaling hard to literal neo nazis and the like. Suffice to say that they peaked with that book in a pretty over the top way. Also, interestingly enough Rein-Hagen was involved in the actual controversial text too, to go off of what Holden has said (and I should note that Holden Shearer's increasingly infuriated twitter rants on how Mark Rein-Hagen was dumb as a box of rocks and refused to understand how using LGBT minorities as a punching bag in the setting is bad and would rightfully piss people off are genuinely hilarious, despite any alleged issues with Exalted 3e.) on twitter since he was fired from Exalted 3e and doesn't need to keep his mouth shut anymore.

If it's not outside the scope of the thread, could i ask for some details on the bolded part? I know that the beta? document had some 1488 numbers crop up (I'm assuming that's what you mean by the signaling to neo nazis), but... what's this about causing international incidents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

:dogstare:

WHAT THE EVERLOVING gently caress?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

To shut this down before It goes anywhere, the concept of Beast was playing boogeyman like Freddy Kreuger or Candyman. Unfortunately, the main writer decided to go all-in on "here's how you power your abilities by molesting children" instead of the more sensible "here's how you power your abilities by scaring people with spooky stuff, not by molesting children what the gently caress gary?!"

Randalor posted:

:dogstare:

WHAT THE EVERLOVING gently caress?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Comstar posted:

What do the various sides/creatures in Root represent? I know the Cats are the new authoritarian regime(?), the Birds are the old royal regime(?), the alliance are the rebels/terrorists(?), someone is playing a one man Skyrim game and wins if they finish the main quest line (?). Please also include the expansions.

Are all the various sides balanced in that can all win, or are some easier to win than others?

Riverfolk are the PMCs and arms dealers, the Lizard cult is the "SECRET UNDERGROUND RACE OF LIZARD PEOPLE THAT CONTROL OUR EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE! WAKE UP PEOPLE, FIGHT THE OPPRESSIVE LIZARD OVERLORDS!"?

But seriously, I thought the Riverfolk were the "Sell weapons and supplies to every side of the conflict" businesspeople, and the Lizard cult was either the religious groups that swell during times of unrest, or the scam artists that make "religious sects" to prey on people who look for hope in religion/belief in a higher power during times of need (depending on how charitable you want to be to religious groups).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Not tabletop games, but why do so many JRPGs have you fight & dethrone God?

I'm going to guess an... interesting history of Christianity in Japan, combined with people actually taking the time to read the Bible and going "Wow, God is a dick,"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

The other wrinkle with NHPs is that the first batch was somehow instigated by RA breaking our conception of physics over its knee when it absconded witH Deimos; and there are multiple NHP branches which do things seemingly incompatible with Union's conception of space-time (not just HORUS but definitely HORUS). There is a very real concern that an unshackled NHP might decide that the Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fake idea and collapse a planet.

I'm confused about this. How does an NHP have reality-warping powers if they're unshackled while only being constrained to "whatever is connected to their system" when shackled?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh okay, I missed the part about NHPs being extra-dimensional organisms, and was thinking of them as super-advanced AI. The closest analogies I could think of were SHODAN from System Shock and GLADOS, and both actually fit the shackled/unshackled descriptions fairly well except for the "Oh, and can also warp reality to their whims" (SHODAN could in SS2, but still needed an outside object to do that).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How much of an issue of Caster Supremacy is due to "We ignore the downsides of spells in the name of fun" and how much was due to changing the spell save system to being "There are three categories of saves, you excel at one and suck at one" and then expanding the casters list with stuff that target specific saves rather than generic "This character/monster is especially resilient to magic, you have a 30% of your non-damaging spell sticking" that was in older editions?

It has been awhile since I looked at D&D/AD&D, but I remember the spell saves being very generous to fighters at higher levels.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

Well, that's the other thing; people ignore the concept-as-written for martial classes.

IN AD&D 2e, how many DMs actually bust out old PHB Table 16 when Mr Fighter hits level 9, and suddenly finds himself with an army? Or Table 19, when Mr. Ranger might suddenly find himself with a flock of hippgriffs or a fuckton of bears following them around? Or 10th level thieves who suddenly find themselves running a fair-sized gang/guild?

Nope. Mr. Wizard learns how to bend time and space, while Mr. Fighter is still travelling from inn to inn, looking at the quest board and living hand to mouth while being decked out with magical gear..

Not gonna lie, if I was playing a Fighter to that level, I would expect my dang army or magical menagerie. That being said, I've never actually played in any campaign that lasted long enough to get past level... 5, and only experienced high-level games as convention one-offs, where the characters were made by the DM.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Epicurius posted:

I mean, Kender exist because Tracy Hickman is a religious Mormon and he didn't want to play a thief as a heroic character. So he invented Kender, who do thief things but not out of greed.

Uh... did you mistype something there? He didn't want to play a heroic thief, so he made a race of creatures to be non-bad thieves? Though that is exactly how stupid I would expect someone who thought Kenders were a good idea to be. I'm happy Thief became Rogue later on, then you can also do non-Thief things with it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The last Rockstar game I played was GTAIV. Before that...Vice City Stories.

Holy poo poo you're right. There is never a happy ending for any of the less awful, more serious protagonists.

I remember SA ending fairly well for the protagonist and his family, but other then that... yeah.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That sounds like you'd say an ex-nazi legion mercenary living fat off murdering people in Africa is good to see, because the British Empire, Jim Crow USA, and Stalin's USSR all sucked.

Politically, Vagabond doesn't win by helping anyone, Vagabond wins by causing indiscriminate murder and chaos instead of having an ideology or being loyal to anyone. Vagabond is a libertarian. Vagabond wants you to know it's ephebophilia not pedophilia. Vagabond has a sixteen part youtube video about how Star Wars was cucked.

I was going to say that the Vagabond was the Steve Bannon of Root, but that works too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Nazis were also famously into weird science bullshit and occultism, but really not like the rest weren't? Look up Operation Fairy Flag, and then of course it's the US who invented a brand new superweapon that changed the entire idea of war.

Yeah. We can laugh at the crazy poo poo people were coming up with to try to win a war that was at a global scale, but the US had bombs small enough to be carried by a B-52 bomber that was strong enough to devistate entire cities, and even after Hiroshima, Japan's command were basically saying "Okay, sure, they had a super weapon, but it's not like they have more, right?"

Weird science bullshit is only weird science bullshit until it works, is what I'm saying.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

The talk about 'is it ok to play this game' brings to mind the Mormon dude who worked on Doom, who justified working on something with demons and hell by pointing out that you spend your time shooting them in the face with a shotgun.

That's always the part that has me scratching my head over these moral panics. Yes, D&D/Doom has demons. They're also explicitly the baddies and your job is usually to send them back to hell. Sure, there are some exceptions, but those tend to be of the "This character is explicitly the exception to the rule" types.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

exmachina posted:

FATAL in spaaaaaaaace

But does it have anal circumference charts? I need to know how much I can shove into my anus for ~realism~

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I am intrigued and horrified. What book is that from so I can make sure I never own a copy I paid money for?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do I get turned to salt if I spill my seed upon the ground, or just if I intentionally don't impregnate my dead brother's wife? What's the weapon stats for the tablets of the ten commandments? What bonuses do I get for knowing my own daughters? How sever is the strength penalty for getting a haircut? How many times am I allowed to sacrifice my son for the piety bonus? What kind of bonus modifier does having a Legion of demons inside you give?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Legion of demons is a Jesus story, I demand answers. :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Piell posted:

If Jesus doesn't die on a cross but instead by getting cut in half by a greataxe, Christianity gets a lot more badass symbol to wear around and put on church walls

Because an ancient and brutal torture and execution device is SOOOO wussy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Servetus posted:

I have to ask:. What was the druid subclass they added? Because druids, or nature focused religion in general, isn't really a thing in the Bible.

As a guess, either someone thought that the Easter Bunny and the Christmas Tree originated in some way in the Bible, or someone wanted to incorporate Moses' acts into the game (Rain of Frogs, Parting the Red Sea, drawing water from a stone, ect) and Druid was the closest fit?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh... that splatbook doesn't actually sound that bad. Now I feel a little bad for making fun of the idea of a Biblical-based splatbook.

Only a little, mind you. The Bible is still full of weird poo poo and those were all valid references to actual biblical events.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Mad TV wasn't always great and maybe had two really good years, but when they nailed it they nailed it.

I remember liking it better than SNL for the most part, and stuff like the Spy vs Spy cartoons were consistently funny, though some of the recurring sketches they had were just... wtf?

Edit: I looked up some of the sketches and... oof. I feel bad for enjoying this show as an idiot 10+ year old when it first aired. I'm honestly surprised it lasted 14 seasons.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 12, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't remember the original Star Frontiers being quite so... openly racist. I'm guessing that "NuTSR" is going all-in chasing those horrible, horrible racist dollars and making big bank off of the controversy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe those writers went to my high-school, where our "current events" history class (don't remember what it was actually called, but it covered modern day events and counted as a history credit) that used textbooks that referred to The USSR as a growing threat. In the 2000's.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

All this talk about Warmachine's page 5 had me morbidly curious enough to take a look, and oof that's something special alright:

My guys, you're still pushing painted miniatures around pretending they're beating each other up. You're not gonna magically turn it into some cool macho thing no matter how hard you try.

Page 5 was a toxic bane on gaming for more than one reason. Not only did it encourage the toxic "win at any cost" mindset, it was also the thing pointed at whenever you brought up things like, say, the Warcasters (the leader in each army) were wildly unbalanced between each other. It was fine if your warcaster just gave a mild buff to your army while your opponent got one that effectively skipped your next turn AND make all your stuff easy to hit, because you should have just taken YOUR one warcaster with a broken ability. You don't like having your warcaster sniped off the board turn one because my warcaster had LoS to a small bit of their coat? Maybe you should have hid them better and won the die roll for going first.

Warmachine had a LOT of balance issues out of the gate, and you won't believe how much people bitched that the game was ruined every time Privateer Press tried to actually fix some of the glaringly broken mechanics. When people say Warmahordes was balanced, I have to assume they either started playing in Mk 2 or at least post-balance updates. It was bad enough that when I played with friends, we had to soft--ban at least one caster or unit per side.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

The will always bothered me, and I only now realize why. There's stuff like, "To the owner of a Datsun Sunspire that was crushed under a large piece of plascrete on Ballemer Street in Seattle on March 11th, 2041, I leave my 1929 Rolls Royce. Sorry, I had an itch that day" and it's like: you could have made that amends when you were loving alive, rear end in a top hat.

The rich trying to get out of having to take any blame while they're alive is a timeless practice that is not just limited to mostly-hairless bipedal apes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about Shadowrun has probably aged all too well, though I'm suspect of cyberpunk settings with corporate states mostly because I can't imagine any corporation being able or willing to actually run things well enough for anything the size of a country to actually function. Which I'm sure really just ties into the whole libertarianism not working thing, mind.

Disney already has this on a small-scale with the county in Florida they fully own and control, where they... actually charge themselves higher taxes and gave more emergency vehicles to the neighboring counties that may have to help out with any major incidents. It's genuinely disturbing how wholesome Disney has been acting for 50+ years with their county.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

I really hope they have a pronunciation guide for this

"Easy, it's Penis-lair, BECAUSE IT'S FULL OF DICKS."- Everyone else in the Shadowrun setting, probably

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Imagine if we were sentenced to run the systems we own.

You are a monster for even implying that people might be forced to play FATAL.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheCenturion posted:

:words: About modifiers.

I'm guessing some of those modifiers would be just flat modifiers for the entire combat (lighting conditions I can't see changing too much unless something bursts into flames) or stuff you would have decided before making a roll and already know the modifiers, but... cognition check to see if you can even act? So it's possible to just spend an entire fight staring off into space? Multiple armor types? What if you roll that you hit the left shoulder, but their left side is turned away from you? Does the right shoulder and torso provide cover and can cause you to miss (because you... hit them in the torso/right shoulder?).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

You, what, printed it out?

No, but I do know people who, if they knew FATAL existed, would either print out a copy for the morbid fascination of being able to say they have a copy of the most hosed up RPG ever made, or for doing the RPG version of the Eye of Argon challenge. I don't want them to have to play it if they did learn FATAL was a thing since I fell out of touch with them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

https://youtu.be/IEUqLL8J4gI

I asked this question up-thread, and this is a well researched video essay about why you’re always killing god in jrpgs

I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work, but how much of the reasons are "Because God is a dick and needs to be punched in the mouth"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So basically all of them? Good to know. I'll try to watch it on my bus ride home after work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Um, excuse me, he said balrogS, not The Balrog. One balrog is allowed to have wings."
:goonsay:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

My favorite LotR theory is that "the Eagles" were a Gondorian censorship/propaganda, and everything done by "The Eagles" was actually done by factions of orcs who were fighting against Sauron. It was only after the war was over that their contributions got swept under the rug in order to make a clean, politically-convenient narrative.

Basically, they were the Resistenza Italiana.

But then how did Gandalf get off of Orthanc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Any notable weird politics in the game? A quick glance shows that Japan isn't in the game, which is a big omission

I mean, the full title of the game is "Triumph and Tragedy: European Balance of Power 1936-1945" so that may explain some omissions.