Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the elimination match was super good and didn't diminish Hangman at all. Dude was alone against what AEW considers the three best wrestlers in the world, took out one of them and was only finally put down by blatant cheating. A classic story of looking strong in defeat.

Also the show was very good overall. The opener and main event were superb, FTR vs PnP was real good, and Archer vs Hikuleo was a good old hoss off. The other matches were entirely OK too, albeit very predictable. Maybe a step down from the previous two weeks, but those shows were so strong that it's kinda unfair to expect the same quality every week.

Also, not to forget, GO ACE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Not to be rude or anything, but how in the gently caress was it not completely obvious that Jericho was wearing a mask?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As it turns out Tony Khan was Always Bad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GlenMR posted:

Did Jericho and Tana ever have a match after the "Baka-hashi" promo in NJPW? There could be labour #4.

Yeah, they had a match at WK 14.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bless the Holy Number, ever rising.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

I just caught up with thread and man, y'all are gonna be real mad when Christian gets the All Out title shot

Yeah, I always get mad when threatened with a good time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Oh my God I just realized that if Page/Omega is still the plan then Tanahashi will be present for Hangman overcoming Kenny and rising to the top. Just like Tanahashi said he was capable of during the 2018 G1

Tanahashi is gonna join the Dark Order, thus creating the most wholesome stable in all of pro wrestling history.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Watching the main event on a crowded train in the morning was not one of my most humble moves

You were just doing your fellow passengers a service by introducing them to MDK all day.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Seems fair enough.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

I think he's making a mistake. Not a fatal one, but the Naito comparison does feel apt

So what you're saying is that Hangman is going to become the clear top draw and merch mover in the whole country and stay that way for years until he wins the belt in a 5+ snowflake instant classic?

In fact, Naito is probably the best modern example of someone who doesn't actually need the belt to be a top guy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm getting All Out regardless because I trust that there will be a whole lot of good stuff on there and not getting one specific match isn't that big of a deal.

Also Hangman will bounce back and Kenny/Hangman can be used as a massive draw for Full Gear or some other big show where the tickets aren't flying off the shelves already.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm only mad about Hangman not getting the title shot at all out because I wanted to be there live when it happened.

If they do Kenny/Christian as the main event though they run the risk of people just leaving during the match which would be funny but not good.

Maybe they're gonna do Kenny/Switch title v title

You debut Punk at Rampage and then you main event All Out with CM Punk vs Darby Allin and there you have your white hot send the crowd home happy match.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Cameo posted:

Also, it seems obvious that every win Kenny gets over Hangman gets more harried and full of Kenny reaching for desperate things to log that W. This one needed Nick grabbing Hangman’s leg to stop the Buckshot from happening, a belt shot that wasn’t enough for the pin, and a pair of V triggers before Hangman could get back to his feet followed by the OWA. It was a win for Kenny, but he’s clearly scared shitless of Hangman in a fair fight at this point. The commentary after the match was putting Hangman over while noting that the leg grab was how his friendship with the Bucks finally crumbled. Because they’ll run some form of Hangman versus the Bucks, because he has to deal with the unfinished business there before he can really get to Kenny. It’s pretty straightforward.

I think it has been pretty conclusively established as of now that if Hangman can just get a clean title match against Kenny he's more likely than not to win it, the struggle is simply getting there.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd do Mox/Tana but that works too. I suppose Jericho/MJF is also a possibility (especially if they add the stip of Jericho's career being on the line)

Mainly I just remember an interview where "the World Title should always be the main event" was a thing so I'm just hoping they have the sense to make an exception if it's actually Christian because at the moment I honestly can't fathom a way for me to care about it very much compared to a lot of other (probable) matches on the card.

If they have CM Punk wrestle and they run the show in Chicago then that's more than enough justification to move the world title away from the main event.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tweak posted:

The most recent PPV had Stadium Stampede go last didnt it

Yeah, and the same thing happened with last year's Stadium Stampede. Also Full Gear 2019 had Kenny vs Mox go after the world title match, so there's ample precedent to put another match on last if it's special enough.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Weird, I was just recently assured that AEW had botched everything and was going to lose all its momentum and a massive part of its audience.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hangman Page is a midcarder. And I don't know how to accept that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm so old that I remember when AEW used to be good, in the halcyon days before Tony Khan's great burial of the Hangman.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

gently caress dude…

Can't have a drunk on screen, the sponsors are already getting antsy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

Contract negotiations are going badly. They keep saying he's getting 600k but actually only paying him 570k.

Oooh nonononono.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As much as I'd like to see Jericho hit a picture-perfect Phoenix Splash or something along those lines he could also just rules lawyer his way to victory by hitting a Judas Effect and then going for an top rope elbow drop before the pin or something along those lines.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

So they sold well over ten thousand tickets merely on the rumour that CM Punk will show up.

Remember when people here were aguing that AEW shouldn't sign Punk and that it'd a bad move for business? Good times.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

Are there any particularly good, or at least notable, Punk matches that would be worth watching? I wasn't watching wrestling when he was a Thing, though as a Chicagoan I certainly knew of him.

Punk vs Samoa Joe II from ROH and Punk vs Cena from Money in the Bank 2011 are the two legit amazing ones I'd say.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Animale posted:

Oh my god, he calls his OWA the Cruel Angel's Thesis.

I was unsure before, but now I can confidently say that Kidd Bandit owns.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a cyborg mug posted:

I feel like the Melchat started because I posted Gallows needs to be on TV about as much as Mel. I’m sorry for what I have caused

It's pretty surprising that you think Mel should be on TV every week but I respect your opinion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lotta people ITT jealous that they're not cool enough to smizz wizz with the bizz clizz.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gallows is perfectly acceptable for the role he's in.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Malakai Black is going to literally murder Cody by kicking his head clean off, except it happens in picture in picture while a life insurance commercial plays.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

...Over a year later I'm still shocked that anybody thought a Brandi/Luther/Mel/Awesome Kong at the end of her career stable would work.

If it had just been Brandi and Kong and Kong could still go I think that it would have worked OK. Probably not the greatest gimmick in the world, but also not one that bombed so bad that not even AEW could save it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Les Enfants Flairibles project.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

smarxist posted:

everyone was so excited for Omega vs Solid Snake at All Out but we get Omega vs Raiden

Are we talking MGS2 Raiden or Revengeance Raiden?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's fascinating how this thread turns on a dime from being upset that Max is doing offensive raps to some kinda one-upmanship game trying to make up even worse ones.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

drat, this is some sick poo poo right here and Leyla owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Hangman dropping entirely out of the top 5 after being #1 forever reeks of a story point rather than how the rankings have usually worked. A loss in a multiman match moves him out of singles rankings but Hobbs has recent singles losses and he’s top 5? Cmon

Hate to break it to you, but the whole point of the rankings is to create story points.