Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
PAINMAKER VS MDK 63 41.45%
ELIMINATION TAG 82 53.95%
ARCHER VS HIKULEO 2 1.32%
FTR VS PNP 5 3.29%
Total: 152 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Lighting the dang fuse... Woah, Gage is main eventing? Holy crap.

1) 10 man tag: The Elite vs Hangman and the Dark Order. poo poo, this video absolutely goes. Hangman's Dark Cowboy gear absolutely rules. Don's shorts are something else. This is so stupid. The match itself is exactly the chaos one would expect of a 10 man tag with teams this good. Karl Anderson getting carried away and lariating his partner was great. The crowd quiet down a little during the lull in action, but still every time a move hits it's echoed by the crowd. Holy poo poo, Stu Grayson can do absolutely insane stuff. Sky twister press! Jeez, Grayson hit the ground hard there. Amazing barrier dive. This is an amazing opener. The match does lose steam during the break. And we're left with an injured Hangman vs Kenny and the Bucks. Perfect. Triple superkick but Hangman is still in it. This is great, but towards the end I'm starting to flag. Belt shot for a TWO! They're keeping something back, and with a one winged angel, Hangman... loses. drat. He looked incredible here and lost only at the last.

PAC interviewed, Andrade and Chavo interfere. Nice.

FTW celebration. This is a little rough. They should have put the jazz band on the ramp. Ricky gives roses to Hook. We all want to. Great promo from Starks, interrupted by Cage taking out the two jazz band guys who are obviously wrestlers.

TANAHASHI! Tanahashi is challenging Archer for the US title. Awesome.

2) FTR vs P&P. This is such incredible Big Fight Feel. poo poo, Santana is over as gently caress. Match is a little slow to start, but they slowly bring the heat. This is a good match, but the ending just felt weird. Not quite what I was hoping for.

I'll be honest, "AEW have a show in Chicago" isn't... actually that big news? Maybe I'm missing something.

3) Hikuleo vs Lance Archer. And Hikuleo has Haku with him! Lance Archer is over as gently caress btw. Hikuleo is still a little slow, but he's a lot less puppydog than he used to be. Beautiful powerslam. We get some pretty good solid back and forth, but again it could really use some speed. The crowd is getting restless. Archer brings them back with the rope walk moonsault. Archer wins as expected. This was fine, but not as great as it could be.

Cody starts to give a Cody Promo and Malachi Black murders him then throws the corpse on the stage. Nice. Fuego and Dante save Cody. Malachi kills Fuego making him the biggest heel in the business.

Miro promo. He's prophesying Lee Johnson's death. And he and Lana gently caress.

4) Private Party and Angelico vs Jurassic Express and Christian Cage. This match took just long enough for me to make a cup of coffee and two slices of toast. It was pretty good. Blade attacks Cage post match.

5) Julia Hart vs Thunder Rosa. Julia is popular. Thunder Rosa is OVER. It's a bit of a clumsy match to start. Julia needs to fix her run a bit. She tends to scurry. Rosa carried this to a watchable match.

Next week's card seems a little lacklustre.

Mox promo.

6) Chris Jericho vs Nick Gage. Painmaker in full effect. Good job on Gage's intro, Justin. My earnest hope is for Gage to murder MJF post bell. They're doing this as intense and hardcore rather than deathmatch, and that works. This isn't a technical masterpiece, but it has great intensity. Oh gently caress, light tubes. And then we get nasty. This is gruesome, but it's gruesome in a clever way. It looks much more violent than it is. Very well done for maximising the appearance of damage over actual damage.

Oh poo poo. THEY'RE BRINGING BACK JUVI!

This was a good show, trending towards great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My take on the Hangman thing. Six months ago this would have destroyed him. Sent him even further into nothing. Today he has his friends around him. He got his bell rung, singlehandedly pinned BOTH tag champs, and only lost to Kenny after a chair shot. I think he'll take it as a knock that makes him even more determined to get the belt.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

also, when Chris came out in blackface my daughter and I were both going "uhhhhhh....."

I'm not sure I'd count that as "blackface". It was a mask he removed. If this counts as blackface then Uno, the Blade, and Andrade are in blackface too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

a cyborg mug posted:

Goon face blindness strikes again

The show's in Charlotte and he was unrecognisable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thus far very few of the big names that AEW has signed have gone straight into a main event feud for the world title. The closest there is to that is Brodie Lee, and even there he was with the company for two months before getting a world title shot.

Obviously Punk and Bryan are different, as they're a different level of fame before getting to AEW, but I think they're a level of fame where they don't need to be challenging for the world title, and certainly don't need to be challenging for it just yet. There's so many fun matchups you could do without involving a world title. Punk vs Darby is an obvious choice. Bryan vs MJF could be fun. Either of them versus basically anyone in Death Triangle, or Miro, or Brian Cage, or so many other guys. poo poo, either of them teaming with or working against Orange Cassidy would be great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Tony Khan taunts WWE until they pull back their fist to beat him up and he goes "heyheyheyyy c'maahn I'm a little guy, I'm just a little guyy, noo, it's also my birthday, I'm a little birthday boyy"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Actually it was just a mask but under the mask he was in yellowface. it was really hosed up, they cut away on TV.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He's been mentioned a few times and I know he's retired, but does Lance Storm have another match in him? If they're mining Jericho's early career for this next part of his run, either a Thrillseekers Reunite or a Thrillseekers Implode match would be fun.

I'm unaware of Storm's physical condition, though, so I don't know if his retirement was because he wanted to or because he needed to.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Accident Underwater posted:

Last night rocked, I can't believe how much fun the Jericho trials are.

I was VERY surprised by Dark Order losing but what I think is coming is now that Jungle Boy and Christian move up to #1 and #2, JB takes a shot at Miro at All Out and Christian gets Kenny ahead of that. That means they either have a quick turnaround for Hangman to work his way back up the rankings before All Out, or draw this out just a bit longer into fall (NY, Chicago, or a bit further to Full Gear). Crowds are not going to tire of him, they've only been back a month.

Oh and Hangman lost to Ricky in spring right? He was still able to work his way back to number one in just a few months then.

He lost to Cage. And then won against him a few weeks later.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

there is like zero chance he is going to no-show or start any trouble

https://twitter.com/JUVENTUDGUERRE2/status/1420578463170367488?s=20

he has like a hundred tweets and retweets about the match right now and he even made it his twitter header, he knows this is a chance to have a little late career resurgence

And if Juvi does no-show, they have a backup plan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Scond Tommy End shirt also out today https://twitter.com/BlackCraftCult/status/1420835847427870722

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

I just caught up with thread and man, y'all are gonna be real mad when Christian gets the All Out title shot

I'll remember to be mad next year

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'd be surprised if it were panic booking. I feel like they've had something in mind for a while and they're moving towards it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The honest roar Thunder Rosa gets from the crowd is one of my favourite things in wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I have no problem with any individual new signing, and in general AEW have used their new people very well indeed. I do have a slight concern that AEW aren't playing enough with the toys they already have. They do a pretty good job of keeping people in the mix, but there are still people they already have who I don't think I see enough.

Rampage will hopefully help with this.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

This sounds superb. And Darius is back with him!

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1421936272004640768

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rotinaj posted:

If jericho does do a proper top rope diving/jumping move, what’s it gonna be? Diving headbutt? Moonsault? Leg drop, and explode his pelvis? I’m betting frog splash in an Eddie tribute, but maybe just a Snuka splash?

Top rope back elbow drop. Flying Judas Effect.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Contract negotiations are going badly. They keep saying he's getting 600k but actually only paying him 570k.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

https://twitter.com/SKWrestling_/status/1422099838057914371

Dunno how big this channel is but the Eurosport aspect is interesting.

110 million homes, apparently, and already shows New Japan.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Sometimes it's fun to stop and consider just how interconnected mainstream wrestling is at the moment.

Kenny Omega, the All Elite Wrestling champion, is also the Impact Wrestling champion. He is part of a stable in AEW with the Impact tag champs, the AEW tag champs, and the former Impact Executive Vice President. He is also AAA Megachampion and is preparing for a title match against Andrade El Idolo, who wrestles for AAA and AEW.

Kenny's stablemate Karl Anderson recently competed on Dynamite against Jon Moxley for the IWGP US Title. Moxley later lost this title to AEW wrestler Lance Archer who will this month defend this title on a New Japan show against Hiroshi Tanahashi. The card for this show includes Rocky Romero, Wheeler Yuta and Ren Narita, all of whom have appeared recently on AEW shows, and TJP, Jay White, David Finlay, and Juice Robinson, all of whom have worked recently for Impact.

The most recent episode of Dynamite was main evented by Chris Jericho in his New Japan "Painmaker" gimmick, facing off against Nick Gage, who days before this match lost his Game Changer Wrestling title to Matt Cardona, who is an Impact Wrestling mainstay. The card where Gage lost the title also included AEW star Marko Stunt, Big Japan Wrestling champion Drew Parker, and ROH star and former Television Champion Tony Deppen.

This week's AEW Dynamite will feature a number one contender's match for the NWA women's title between Leyla Hirsch and The Bunny, with the resulting title match taking place on the upcoming NWA Empowerrr PPV. Leyla Hirsch was recently part of an AEW tag team with current SEAdLINNNG Beyond The Sea Champion Ryo Mizunami, who came to AEW after winning the Japanese bracket of the AEW Women's World Championship Tournament, a tournament that featured competitors from TJPW, Marvelous, Gatoh Move, and Ganbare, which is part of DDT. The number one contender for the DDT world title is Konosuke Takeshita, who recently took an excursion to the USA and wrestled for AEW, teaming several times with Kenny Omega.

Wrestling is so much better when it happens in an ecosystem.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

New Nightmare Factory showcase. https://youtu.be/T6ceQ6G-KBA

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Anime Hair is back! https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1422282302470590464?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

That guy looks like a killer

Unironically he's really good. Had some very fun high flying matches on Dark, has a good sense of humour, and used to be in a very entertaining tag team with Griff Garrison.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Catching up on the Nightmare Factory showcase I am now ride or die on the Kid Bandit train.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kunabomber posted:

The year is 2026. Kenny Omega is retiring. For his retirement match he performs the One Winged Angel on Kidd Bandit - which is kicked out for the first time since Ibushi. He is in disbelief as Kidd Bandit promptly put him in the Cruel Angel's Thesis -

On this day he went from being Kidd Bandit to being Mann Bandit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Weird, there's a member of the Suicide Squad not in this AEW tie-in ad. Must be one of those coincidences. https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1422648598416826377

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It wasn't great, it's off the episode now, they should have cut it before the episode aired, let's move on.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's Platinum Max, here to settle the score
Your street cred's as fake as the Holodomor

*Bowens mugs at camera then looks first confused then worried*

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That's really sad. Hope he's able to take the time to mourn and come back to make her proud.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

Very good indie wrestler. Had a great match against Lee Johnson on Dark

has had some absolute crackers in Beyond and similar places. His match against Kevin Ku at IWTV Family Reunion was stellar.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Armdrag suplex is just bonkers as gently caress. The whole match with Diamante was ace actually. Hoping Leyla gets the best out of The Bunny and then beats her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

Leyla is a beast, and I want her on my tv more.

I want this shirt but $30 is a little steep, are AEW shirts good quality?

Bought two of them at Revolution last year and they've survived a lot of wearing very well.