Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So this is basically just a list of "shows I can remember watching and liking" more than anything comparing to the huge review-length OP-grade lists other people have posted, so don't ascribe any more than the most basic participant vote weighting to this if you can help it. But I managed to think of 20, so without even bothering to rank them, here they are and have fun.

- 20. Aggretsuko. I like it, shut up.

- 19. Bridgerton. What if a period regency bodice-ripper was done with a colorblind cast? Neat idea and they mostly pull it off (I'm still not sure where they're going by actually acknowledging an alt-history premise rather than just casting in a colorblind way and never mentioning it), but it's a good story and absolutely gorgeous.

- 18. Steven Universe. The people behind this show deserve every award. Cartoons are wasted on kids (but the kids watching this one will grow up way better than I did)

- 17. Squid Game. Just so excellently done. Came because of the memes, left thinking I still have plenty to learn about humanity and the world.

- 16. Big Mouth. Don't let the ugly style throw you off, it's (theoretically) intentional. But it's smart and the heart is absolutely in the right place, and loving insanely funny.

- 15. The Last Kingdom. Historical nerdery from exactly the era that sizzles my bacon. Favorite moment: when Hild (a Saxon nun) says "I want you to teach me sword-craft" and Uhtred says "Fine, but we Danes call it sword-skill." :dance: God drat that is so right up my alley, I love these people for what they love

- 14. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. They put in the effort and it shows. Absolutely fantastic.

- 13. For All Mankind. What if the Soviets beat us to the moon all our astronaut heroes were women? Sounds like a :350: premise, but god drat does it end up making for a great story. It's my favorite example to throw in the face of people who say "go woke go broke"

- 12. Chernobyl. Definitely

- 11. MLP: FIM. gently caress you I'm going here. I've written more words about this show elsewhere than I've ever posted here on SA, so I'm not going to even start. But I will say I'm glad I'm not the first person in this thread to do so.

- 10. The Morning Show. It's for our time. And Jennifer Aniston is growing into the Meryl Streep ice-queen persona somehow, which I never saw coming, but holy hell does she do it.

- 9. The Expanse. At least for like the first 3 seasons or so. Finally sci-fi I can respect myself for watching.

- 8. Cobra Kai. Such a goofball 80s romp, but it leans into its shallowness and keeps finding more actors from the original to bring back for a lol. The latest season with Terry Silver showing up out of nowhere makes me wonder if there's nothing they can't pull off in the name of the original joke, which is to take the popular meme of "hey did you ever notice that in The Karate Kid, Daniel was actually kind of the rear end in a top hat?" and dig aaaaall the way into it.

- 7. Schitt’s Creek. It's like someone decided to remake Arrested Development but not let it disappear up its own rear end with cleverness. Also unlike AD, it's sweet and earnest and every character is a member of the family by the end of it. It ends on a slightly on-the-nose note but holy poo poo did they earn it. It's Eugene Levy's life masterwork, on a lot of levels.

- 6. The Good Place. I'm only halfway through S2 of it, but the twist in S1's finale is all it was cracked up to be and then some, especially since it makes S2 operate on a whole other level because they just keep upping the game. A show that says "epistemiological" next to a masturbation joke is such my poo poo. Also the guy playing Jason is the greatest joy. Every loving word out of his mouth I am just grinning like a goof

- 5. Veep. Intricate and incisive comedy that got overtaken by the absurdity of real-life politics, but that shouldn't diminish it or its character development. Jonah, jesus

- 4. Better Call Saul. What started with BB's comic-relief character underlying the show's fundamentally comedy premise is now a turgid drama but holy poo poo did I never imagine Bah Bodenkirk could act.

- 3. Bojack Horseman. Sad horse cartoon ends up being the most intense psychological study I've seen in years.

- 2. Breaking Bad. Great story, great performances, upped the game forever for what TV is.

- 1. Twin Peaks: The Return. This better make it onto the final list. Can't make the case for it any better than anyone else has, but it just had better. I'm such a sucker for these bring-back-the-original-cast reboot/revisits and when they pay off this well, it's like magic is happening.

E: Rearranged to put them in ranking order fine

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Incidentally this is a list I was jotting down elsewhere of continuations/reboots/rebuilds/whatever you want to call it of properties hitting the nostalgia pipe and bringing back the original cast:

- Twin Peaks
- Bill & Ted Face the Music
- Jay & Silent Bob Reboot
- Cobra Kai
- Star Wars
- Full House
- Punky Brewster
- Animaniacs
- Indiana Jones(?)
- Coming 2 America
- Roseanne
- Murphy Brown
- Mad About You
- Gilmore Girls
- Arrested Development
- Rocky
- Rambo
- Terminator(?)
- Blade Runner
- Tron
- Independence Day
- Top Gun
- Pee-Wee’s Big Holiday
- Wayne’s World / Uber Eats ads
- Melrose Place (2009)

Seems to be happening even more than I'd realized

E: And every time they do it, it makes me think about the nature of aging

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 9, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looten Plunder posted:

Your commentary is fine. But I can't do anything with this unless you attribute a ranking to them. You've done 90% of the hard work, make it count.

Very well, edited.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

:kiss: choice of video for Legion, absolutely the best scene of Season 3.

Having just finished The Good Place but never seen Legion, I clicked into the middle of that video and was like "haha lmao it's Derek"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

C'mooon Twin Peaks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good Place is coming up soon, not gonna be #1 but it'll be up there

(I'm still on a high)

EFB!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BrBa/BCS, which will it be

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

That montage at the start of Season 2 of The Good Place is absolutely incredible for the sheer confidence in just dumping like 18 seasons of potential stories/episodes just like that.

I love all the weird little moments where they suddenly had to do what must have been a logistical nightmare, like "ok hey we have to cast about 90 different people to all play Eleanor in this one 3-minute scene. Also Janet, you get to do impressions of every other character, GO"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BrBa has to be #1. But honestly if it's this close who can say

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That feels pretty right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Big round of applause, enjoy some well deserved food and rest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm feeling pretty good about my hit rate. I had a lot of overlap with the final top 20, and those that I did hit were vaguely in their final order too.

In trying to figure out ultimately what makes a "good" or "bad" TV show, I seldom trust my own mental yardstick; I feel like I tend to oversell things that I'm currently watching just because they're in the forefront of my mind. So some shows that I got invested in and consider really good, like The Last Kingdom and Bridgerton, didn't do very well and I'm not sure whether to conclude from that that I'm not that discerning. And at the same time the ones I did pick accurately also seemed like gimme's almost, like based on everyone's chatter it would have been almost irrational not to rate BrBa/BCS/Twin Peaks/Mad Men right at the top, even if I didn't enjoy them (though I did). So those weren't a huge challenge either.

But at the same time, maybe that's part of what makes a show "good", just pure cultural momentum. And there's so much good stuff out there—and it's so impossible to see it all—that once you get out of the first tier you really get sliced up into people's particular genre preferences and such, so the slots can go all over the place.

I dunno, meaningless drivel I guess, but I find myself wanting to understand how my brain reacts to storytelling and culture and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I agree with this- The Last Kingdom is a great example of a great show that never has taken off, even compared to shows like it. Vikings had its strong points but The Last Kingdom is just a superior show IMO, but it just never got that momentum you're describing, possibly because Vikings came out first and most people probably don't have the appetite for 2 multi-season shows about the Viking conquest of England.

I'm definitely influenced by the opinions of other people too, as much as I would like to deny it. Several of the most enjoyable shows for me this year have been a result of reading this thread. HACF and Barry are two shows I probably would not have watched if not for the thread, and holy poo poo are they gems. What I'm saying is that you guys have loving great taste in shows lol

I bounced off Halt and Catch Fire when it was new because it seemed just so completely stone-faced serious; I had assumed from the title (which is a tongue-in-cheek fake assembly language CPU execution command, and the show never seemed about to explain that joke) that it would be a comedy. I guess Silicon Valley is what I really wanted.

Thought about trying again many times, it's always been sitting there in my up-next list, but since cutting the cord I don't have a way to watch it without spending extra.