Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Problem description: So I had my computer for around six months when trouble started. Every day...or every other day, it's not 100% consistent...my computer will require a hard reset due to one of three issues.

1. It will BSOD. There is never a consistent reason or driver for this BSOD, it's usually inside the kernel and is occasionally paired with an a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP or any number of other random reasons.
2. It will hard freeze. Occasionally this parlays into a DPC Watchdog BSOD.
3. It will go into a death spiral where things gradually stop working. First Ctrl-Alt-Del and the taskbar stops working, then I can't alt-tab anymore, then finally it hard-freezes after around a minute or two.

Attempted fixes: I have ruled our RAM and video card trouble. I tried running with a single stick of RAM, then another stick, and finally I bought completely new RAM and ran it with just that RAM. Memtest86 never blew up on me. I swapped my AMD video card with an older model NVIDIA, and still no change.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system/System specs: https://i.imgur.com/rRX0K8I.png

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006
I would suggest these steps:

1. Verify that you have the most up-to-date drivers and BIOS.

2. If that doesn't work, the next suspect part is the OS drive. Looks like you've got two SSDs. I'd try installing the OS on whichever drive it isn't on currently and removing the drive that it is currently installed on.

3. If that doesn't work, you may have a failing power supply. Under/over voltages would explain why you're getting random bluescreens from all different device drivers. That's generally more difficult to test if you don't happen to have a spare power supply sitting around. But you may want to try this as the second step if you do have a spare because that might be easier for you than screwing around with migrating an OS from drive to drive.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Bumping to say that this turned out to be the CPU in the end. I never would've guessed, and I suppose it was at the bottom of most people's list of possibilities, but apparently it can happen that the CPU can cause those kinds of BSODs.

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 29, 2022