Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my work laptop is a dell latitude 5411. in may the cpu fan died and it was replaced. recently, about once or twice a week (but sometimes not for a month!) the laptop will randomly make a very loud siren sound. i was able to catch it once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3F1whMTVhw

There are no on screen alerts, all BIOS diagnostics are fine, everything is clean. what the hell is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006
When it happens, if you right-click on the Volume Mixer in the System Tray and select "Open Volume Mixer". With a little luck, it should show the application making the sound. Unless somehow a System Sound has been set to that annoying noise, in which case if you go into the Control Panel, then Sound, then the Sounds tab. You can play each of the system sounds there and see which one has been set to what I can only imagine is a file called "PissOffUser.wav"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is it possible it's heat related? I don't know of any laptops that do it, but some devices are configured to make heinously obnoxious sounds when they get too hot. Since the fan is the only thing that's changed recently, my suspicion starts there.