Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Almost certainly a top contender for density of Academy Award Honorees per minute screen time; House of Gucci is Ridley Scott's depiction of the story, as told in Sarah Gay Forden's 2001 book The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed of the 1995 murder-for-hire of Maurizio Gucci, who was head of the Gucci fashion house at the time of his death. His ex-wife Patrizia Reggiani, who was convicted of orchestrating Maurizio's murder, is played by Lady Gaga in what will likely go down as an all-time scene stealing performance.

Official trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGi3Bgn7U5U
Excerpts from an English interview done sometime in the 80's with Patrizia Reggiani - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn9dJlVE0dU
Recent English subtitled interview with Patrizia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t35ihG5s3iA&t=37s
Recent English interview with Patrizia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZuSPSBIzwE&t=85s
Interview with Pina Auriemma - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVmUdFHXl4

Wikipedia posted:

House of Gucci is an upcoming American biographical crime film directed by Ridley Scott, based on the 2001 book The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed by Sara Gay Forden. It stars Lady Gaga as Patrizia Reggiani, who was tried and convicted of orchestrating the assassination of her ex-husband and former head of the Gucci fashion house Maurizio Gucci, portrayed by Adam Driver. It also stars Jared Leto, Jeremy Irons, Salma Hayek, and Al Pacino.

Filming took place from February to May 2021 in various parts of Italy. House of Gucci is scheduled to be released in the United States on November 24, 2021, by United Artists Releasing.

Stefani "Lady Gaga" Germanotta as Patrizia Reggiani

Wikipedia posted:

Patrizia Reggiani Martinelli (formerly Gucci; born 2 December 1948) is an Italian socialite and former Gucci chief adviser. In 1998, Reggiani was convicted in a highly publicized trial of hiring a hitman to kill her ex-husband Maurizio Gucci. She is dubbed by the press as the "Black Widow."

"I don't consider myself to be a particularly ethical person. But I am fair" *Ominously taps spoon against cappuccino cup*

Adam Driver as Maurizio Gucci

Wikipedia posted:

Maurizio Gucci (26 September 1948 – 27 March 1995) was an Italian businessman and the one-time head of the Gucci fashion house. He was the son of actor Rodolfo Gucci, and grandson of the company's founder Guccio Gucci. On 27 March 1995, he was shot dead at age 46 by a hitman hired by his ex-wife Patrizia Reggiani.

"[Patrizia]'s a handful"

Jared Leto as Paolo Gucci

"It's chic"

Wikipedia posted:

Paolo Gucci was an Italian businessman and fashion designer. He was the one-time chief designer and vice-president of Gucci He is credited with helping design Gucci's famous double G logo

Jeremy Irons as Rodolfo Gucci

*No lines in the trailer*

Wikipedia posted:

Rodolfo Gucci (16 July 1912 – 15 May 1983), also known by his stage name Maurizio D'Ancora, was an Italian actor and entrepreneur, who appeared in more than forty films between 1929 until 1946. He was a member of the House of Gucci. His only child, Maurizio Gucci, was named after his stage name.

Al Pacino as Aldo Gucci

"You are Gucci. You need to dress the part"

Wikipedia posted:

Aldo Gucci (26 May 1905 – 19 January 1990) was the chairman of Gucci from 1953 to 1986. He was the eldest son of Guccio Gucci, who founded the company bearing the family name in 1921.

The rest

Salma Hayek as Giuseppina "Pina" Auriemma. Patrizia's friend and confidant who was part of the murder plot of Maurizio.
Jack Huston as Domenico De Sole. CEO of Gucci Group from 1994-2004. Current CEO of Tom Ford's eponymous label.
Reeve Carney as Tom Ford. Creative director of Gucci from 1994-2005. Director of A Single Man and Nocturnal Animals and one of the biggest names in fashion today.
Camille Cottin as Paola Franchi. Maurizio's partner from after he left Patrizia Reggiani until his murder.
Mădălina Diana Ghenea as Sophia Loren. Ya'll know.
Mehdi Nebbou as Said
Miloud Mourad Benamara as Omar

EDIT: Million thanks to the mod who corrected my :justpost: error.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

This better be good enough to justify me not getting more Ridley Scott Alien-verse insanity.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Such a stacked cast, has me more interested than subject matter tbh

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Solid film, was fairly entertained despite the lenght. Gaga surprisingly good. Leto thinking he's in a live action super mario not so good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It kinda drags and Leto is awful in this, but I didn't hate it.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I don't know what you guys are on about, Leto is the best part of this film. Pure camp gold.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Caught it last night and agree with most points - it's too long, tonally a mess (but if you want to see Pacino and Leto hamming it up to 11 you're in luck), and I was very entertained.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

what does "tonally a mess" mean in this kind of movie? like, if it's not absurd and melodramatic what else would it be?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Can people please stop telling gaga that she can act. Her acting is somehow so much worse than her music ever was

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

what does "tonally a mess" mean in this kind of movie? like, if it's not absurd and melodramatic what else would it be?

When Leto and Pacino are on screen its absurd and melodramatic, when it's just Driver and Gaga it's more of a serious drama. It is about a real life murder after all.

One thing I didn't like is that the soundtrack choices are very on the nose, or when it's opera, very clichéd, which leans more into the comedy.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 4, 2021

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Kaveman posted:

I don't know what you guys are on about, Leto is the best part of this film. Pure camp gold.

Couldn't disagree harder, gently caress me he was terrible. Pure camp can be ok, but this wasn't even funny most of the time. Just him putting on a second graders idea of an Italian accent and saying not very funny things. Think the film could have been better and tighter without all that bullshit, and just made it more of a drama with just a few comedy elements, rather than have all his scenes be a weird interludes of 'please laugh at this'.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Like I heard somewhere, if Jared Leto is in a movie I'm always concerned, not with his acting in particular, but the decision making that lead to picking Jared Leto for a major role

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think my short description of this movie is that it's Ridley Scott trying and falling to make a Martin Scorsese film. It's not terrible, but I can't think of any particular reason why anyone should watch it.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Cacator posted:

One thing I didn't like is that the soundtrack choices are very on the nose, or when it's opera, very clichéd, which leans more into the comedy.
I liked the movie overall, but yes—the soundtrack felt very clunky and cliched. No harm in using a famous classical piece, but when every single one is well-known it starts to feel, well, about as cheap and tacky as the replica bags strewn across pacino’s office.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My dark Oscars prediction is that House of Gucci will be nominated for every major award and several technical awards (certainly Makeup), and will win about half of them.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

banned from Starbucks posted:

Can people please stop telling gaga that she can act. Her acting is somehow so much worse than her music ever was

this is rich coming from someone with a Sam Woodington avatar

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla
House of Gucci? More like House of No Gucci! That’s my review.

Or, as Jared Leto would say, “That’s-a me rrrrrrrreview-a!”

Seriously, Leto was incredibly terrible. Like laugh-out-loud bad acting. Pacino and Irons were hammy but fun, Leto was from a different movie altogether and dragged everything down. Lady Gaga on the other hand was great. Adam Driver looked hot but had no depth to his character. Whole movie was also too long, yet very little actually happened. It starts fun but then just keeps going without any drive or real drama.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

im no linguistics expert but does gaga seem more slavic than italian to anyone else?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the bigger question is why the hell is anyone doing accent work in a movie about Italians which largely takes place in Italy?

Sch
Nov 17, 2005

bla bla blaufos!bla bla blaconspiracies!bla bla bla

Simplex posted:

I think the bigger question is why the hell is anyone doing accent work in a movie about Italians which largely takes place in Italy?

I think the accents were a fun campy way to add texture to the characters and a sense of place, and I think it mostly works. (Except of course for Jared Leto, who doesn't seem like he's speaking with an accent so much but rather like he's a non-native English speaker trying really hard, which is only reinforced by his constant malapropisms.)

It's such a frustrating film, because I feel all the ingredients are there for a fun Big Drama about family and loyalty and greed and jealousy in the glamorous but brutal world of luxury fashion. Except they forgot to add any of the drama.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Jared Leto was entertaining in this, I didn't expect for him to be my favorite part.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I get that it was supposed to be an over the top camp godfather homage (right up to Pacino hugging Leto the same way he hugged John Cazzale is 2) but every time Leto was on screen I couldn't help but go "It's-ah me-ah, Mario!" much to my wifes annoyance. It was a little TOO much.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Boof.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm really enjoying this bad accents and all. Jared Leto is so over the top ridiculous that it comes back around to being awesome.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

davecrazy posted:

every time Leto was on screen I couldn't help but go "It's-ah me-ah, Mario!" much to my wifes annoyance. It was a little TOO much.

He's no Chris Pratt, that's for sure.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Simplex posted:

Well since Scott directed a movie set in france about french people played by people who do not put on any kind of french accent, this year, it would seem that this is in fact "the joke"

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Movie was boring, bad and I bailed with 50 min left. I think I’m done with anything new by Ridley Scott!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBors/status/1515756809126125568

And yet in the film she is portrayed as doing administrative work. Curious

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No she isn't, she "works" for her dad's company. At no point is she shown doing work of any kind.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Movie was boring, bad and I bailed with 50 min left. I think I’m done with anything new by Ridley Scott!

The Last Duel was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No she isn't, she "works" for her dad's company. At no point is she shown doing work of any kind.

i was joking lol

i had a dream the other day that paolo became my boss at work