Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
That the song "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash was about the after-effects of a particularly spicy meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh where to start.

My parents told me if a tick attached to me, if I pulled the body off, the head would survive, and keep drinking, and end up in my body. I envisioned a bodiless head, just sucking away and the blood flying out the neck stump. Clearly it would block my artery or veins, and I would die.

My grandma (bless her soul to the 9th circle of Hell) told a preteen Cowslips, who knew the basics of sex ed, that sex with my future husband would be exactly, right down to the blood and the screams, like how sex was for our dog Shasta, who was coming out of heat by the time my parents took her to the stud. He cornered her and none of the adults got there in time, so she was screaming for a good while as they were tied up. She didn't end up pregnant, but I was absolutely terrified of anything to due with sex for...about 20 years or so after that. I mostly remember hating my dad more, because so many mornings he would be an utter rear end in a top hat to my mom, and one day he snapped it was because she wasn't being a good wife and taking care of his needs. I put two and two together and couldn't sleep for a while, too freaked out that I'd hear my mom being hurt if she was ever a "good wife."

In funnier bullshit, years ago I nannied for a family whose two daughters were debating about the existence of Santa. They fully believed that my rabbit Momo was the Easter Bunny; I had convinced them that the bunny was magic, of course, so he could change his size and color, and he lived with me as opposed to the wild because I had all kinds of good food for him. But Santa, they weren't sure about.

So I gave them a test: I told them to write a short list to Santa of a few toys they wanted for Xmas, things not on their usual wish list, and I would take the glued envelopes to Momo, who would take them to Santa, and if they got anything from the secret list, clearly Santa got the letters, so he was real. They figured that made sense, so I reread the lists with them, explaining that Santa's eyes were bad, hence the glasses, so if they wanted him and not the elves to read it, they had to write super clear. After the kids went to bed, I simply texted the parents the lists. Come Xmas morning when they had a few things from those secret lists, the freakout, I was told later, was intense, and they believed in Santa for another few years with such hard evidence thanks to Momo.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not parents, but one time I was read a Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark book. There was this one story where a spider crawls on a girl, stops, and crawls away. She has a red boil like thing on her cheek that gets bigger and bigger until one day it bursts and a bunch of baby spiders crawl out of her. It sent little me's fear of spiders up to eleven. (I still lowkey believe it could happen to me as a adult ngl)

Goon is still spooked by a children's story.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"You're not actually sick unless you're throwing up" became extra hilarious in a post-covid world

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think a dead tick head can stick in there and cause an infection at least, or is that also bullshit?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think a dead tick head can stick in there and cause an infection at least, or is that also bullshit?

I think that's true, although I see a bit of disagreement. I don't think it's anything specifically tick-related (which is what I used to think), more just anything getting inside your skin having some potential to introduce bacteria or whatnot.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

"You're not actually sick unless you're throwing up" became extra hilarious in a post-covid world

My mom never actually said that, but it was definitely her view. And if we did throw up, she'd get mad at us for being sick.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
my dad told a 10 year old me to read "Alive" by piers paul read because "it was about penguins." It wasn't until i started working in a bookstore after high school that i found out the truth. he denies telling me this to this day. i have not read the book either.

was also told (repeatedly) not to roll my eyes or theyd get stuck up there.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

We used to get this God awful cold medicine as kids. It was yellow and the flavor was horrific.

"It's not triaminc see it's green"

A little blue food coloring made that work once.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

honda whisperer posted:

We used to get this God awful cold medicine as kids. It was yellow and the flavor was horrific.

"It's not triaminc see it's green"

A little blue food coloring made that work once.

Buckley’s?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I used to think that if us siblings were really good, we got to sleep over at our grandparents house.

It dawned on me well into my 30s that my parents were probably just happy to offload us little shits and have the house to themselves for the whole night and morning.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

evobatman posted:

I used to think that if us siblings were really good, we got to sleep over at our grandparents house.

It dawned on me well into my 30s that my parents were probably just happy to offload us little shits and have the house to themselves for the whole night and morning.

Yeah, mommy was taking a whole bunch of daddies cummies those nights.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Yeah, mommy was taking a whole bunch of daddies cummies those nights.

Why would you do this

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
When we moved in to our new house, my dad was able to convince my five-year-old self that the toilet was talking to him, through the cunning subterfuge of standing outside the house and talking through the vent.

Also, apparently my mum used to tell us that the van with the cool jingly bells which drove past was the Funny Money Man who would take all of our money if we spoke to him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dross posted:

Why would you do this

Because for at least one gross night your originators did.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wasabi the J posted:

Because for at least one gross night your originators did.

You will not slander my mother like this

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
The simple one I remember being told for a lot of my childhood was that stomping my feet would make me shorter. Sometimes I’m still not 100% sure that it entirely false

The worst one was simply a lie by omission. I was probably like 6 or 8.

The local sportsman’s club would do fried chicken once a month. While we were there, I noticed a taxidermy rabbit front, but the rabbit had horns. I’d never seen anything like this in books or whatever, so I finally ask my dad, and he simply tells me “oh, that’s a jackalope” and I’m like, “huh, neat”

I then never followed up on this for like 10 years.

Then, in high school, my girlfriend and I were talking about something and somehow jackalopes came up, and I of course insisted they were real. To her a s her dad. I think it was one of those arguments where I had to do an internet search to believe them. I was very cross with my dad, like, hey pa, maybe you forgot to mention something about the whole jackalope thing????

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol your girlfriends dad must of thought the world of you.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I just remembered, my dad used to trick me that I could "blow out" the tv, like a candle. This was of course accomplished by him turning it off using the remote behind my back, usually after telling me I had to blow harder several times.

I don't know how long I actually believed in it, but we kept doing it a fair while even after I caught on. :3:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My dad is skinny with a reddish beard, so he always told me that his framed Van Gogh print was a portrait of him after he got his ear busted in a fight.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
My mom told me silkworms were made of silk the way cows were made of leather. She said silk manufacturing begins when a "hunter" goes into the forest and finds a nest of baby silkworms, whose mother has gone to forage for food. He "rips the backs off the little baby silkworms," which will presumably later be stitched together, by the thousand, into silk cloth. The mother silkworm will come back her nest just in time to see her babies expire of their wounds, and will go "Eee! Eee! Eee!" in distress. The sound effects were central to the narrative.

When I asked my mom why she told me such a horrible story, she said she thought it was true!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

hate hoot posted:

My mom told me silkworms were made of silk the way cows were made of leather. She said silk manufacturing begins when a "hunter" goes into the forest and finds a nest of baby silkworms, whose mother has gone to forage for food. He "rips the backs off the little baby silkworms," which will presumably later be stitched together, by the thousand, into silk cloth. The mother silkworm will come back her nest just in time to see her babies expire of their wounds, and will go "Eee! Eee! Eee!" in distress. The sound effects were central to the narrative.

When I asked my mom why she told me such a horrible story, she said she thought it was true!

The reality isn't particularly nice either. Silk is made by waiting for the silkworms to make their cocoons, then you collect em up and boil then alive. This dissolves the glue holding the silk threads together, so you can spool it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sericulture

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That my favorite stuffed raccoon came to life and needed to be released into the wild. When in fact they thought I was too old for it and had thrown it away.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zil posted:

That my favorite stuffed raccoon came to life and needed to be released into the wild. When in fact they thought I was too old for it and had thrown it away.
:smith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

When i was pretty little, young enough that i barely remember, the family dog started getting really territorial and bit one of my aunts and also the paperboy. Soon after i was told that my uncle's friend had a big farm, with lots of animals and other dogs to play with, etc etc and i never saw the dog again.

Several years later (high school? middle school?) i had a realization of what must have actually happened. :smith:

Twenty years after that i was home visiting and went with my dad to pick up some tools he bought from somebody. As we were driving back he asked if i remembered Steve and i was like "huh, no why would i?" and he started talking about how he had taken in Bo (the dog) when he was acting all aggressive and they didn't know how to train him any better and had no idea what else to do. I must have had a look on my face because he suddenly stopped and said "oh poo poo, you thought we put him down this whole time". Anyway, as it turns out Bo was a fantastic farm dog, and some of the dogs we had seen that day were probably even descended from him.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

a kitten posted:

Twenty years after that i was home visiting and went with my dad to pick up some tools he bought from somebody. As we were driving back he asked if i remembered Steve and i was like "huh, no why would i?" and he started talking about how he had taken in Bo (the dog) when he was acting all aggressive and they didn't know how to train him any better and had no idea what else to do. I must have had a look on my face because he suddenly stopped and said "oh poo poo, you thought we put him down this whole time". Anyway, as it turns out Bo was a fantastic farm dog, and some of the dogs we had seen that day were probably even descended from him.

Need a combo of :smith: and :unsmith: for how I feel about this.

edit: :gbsmith:

vvvv - Thanks!

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Aug 21, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Need a combo of :smith: and :unsmith: for how I feel about this.

:gbsmith:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Oh my god, that’s both hilarious and heartwarming. It’s great to know that there actually is a farm upstate somewhere!

My dad didn’t even tell me when our childhood dog died. I just went back out east to visit, and she wasn’t there. Her name was Brie, and she was very smart and very good, and also beautiful. One of those tricolor border collies with natural eyeliner.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zil posted:

What the gently caress

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My grandparents lied to my mom about "steak" whenever they served it for dinner. As a result, she developed a strong distaste for "steak" and it wasn't until she was on a date in her very early 20's that somebody convinced her to give steak another shot; she realized that she'd never been eating steak--she'd been eating liver. My grandparents ultimately fessed up to it and revealed that yes, growing up, all of the kids were served "steak" (liver) while grandpa was served...steak.

Also my parents thought it would be smart to convince me that, if you get a splinter and don't remove it immediately, it will likely require amputation. Apparently this was an attempt to get me to cooperate with removing splinters. Of course, they didn't anticipate that it would also cause me to freak the gently caress out whenever I got a splinter at school/away from adults and tweezers. I think the school had to call my parents after I got a splinter one day and started acting like a worm had just burrowed into my hand. Get it out get it out!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My grandparents lied to my mom about "steak" whenever they served it for dinner. As a result, she developed a strong distaste for "steak" and it wasn't until she was on a date in her very early 20's that somebody convinced her to give steak another shot; she realized that she'd never been eating steak--she'd been eating liver. My grandparents ultimately fessed up to it and revealed that yes, growing up, all of the kids were served "steak" (liver) while grandpa was served...steak.

Old people are/were weird as gently caress about food.
My paternal grandmother had dinner on the table the minute my grandfather got home from work, whether or not it was cooked all the way through or not. So dinner could be terrifying. The adults are first, no matter what, and also got the better bits of food. My dad tried to do the same thing with us, but his work schedule meant he wasn't home for dinner most of the time. When we eat at my parents house though, he will be through with his first serving and going for seconds before everyone else has even been served. We've tried very hard to do the complete opposite of that with our kids.

My great aunt's would scoop up extra dinner rolls and whatnot from buffets and take them home. My mom says it's probably because they grew up during the great depression and probably didn't have consistent access to food for a few years.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
When I was really young, like 4 or so, I remember I lost a tiny plastic fish toy down the drain after a bath and I was inconsolable about it. So my parents told me about the Water Treatment plant and how it caught everything that went down the drain and let me dictate a letter to them asking if they'd seen my fish.

A few days later they got a letter back with a plastic fish! Even at 4 I knew it was kinda bullshit because the fish was completely different and the wrong color by my parents managed to placate me by saying it was because of the water treatment chemicals.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

bengy81 posted:

Old people are/were weird as gently caress about food.

My grandad probably ate the same seven meals on rotation for 80% of his adult life. He was a very odd man who knew what he liked, and liked what he knew. So if it was Monday then he knew he'd be having egg and chips, Tuesday was chops, Wednesday was chicken pie, etc.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sweevo posted:

My grandad probably ate the same seven meals on rotation for 80% of his adult life. He was a very odd man who knew what he liked, and liked what he knew. So if it was Monday then he knew he'd be having egg and chips, Tuesday was chops, Wednesday was chicken pie, etc.

My grandfather was like this as well. The kids and grandkids would have something she wanted to make, but grandpa was having his shepherds pie on Sunday or he would pout and be pissy.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
My mother told me once that if you were convicted of a crime in court you could decide yourself how long you’d go to jail for.

That’s a terrible moral lesson, unless for some reason she herself thought it was true I’m not sure why she told me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
At about 4 or 5, I picked up a swearword from somewhere. I don't remember which one, but probably a mild one like "shite" or "poo poo" and most likely from my Grandad. My parents convinced me to say "Rhubarb" instead, however, I knew what poo poo was, so I reasoned that rhubarb was another synonym for excrement. Guess how that turned out when I was served rhubarb crumble and started gagging at the table!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

At about 4 or 5, I picked up a swearword from somewhere. I don't remember which one, but probably a mild one like "shite" or "poo poo" and most likely from my Grandad. My parents convinced me to say "Rhubarb" instead, however, I knew what poo poo was, so I reasoned that rhubarb was another synonym for excrement. Guess how that turned out when I was served rhubarb crumble and started gagging at the table!

To be fair, that's about where I rank rhubarb as a food anyway

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
You take that back! I will destroy me some rhubarb pie.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:smith:

:smithicide:

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom convinced me that words like "stupid" and "shut up" were swear words. It took me until like 10 to start using them, and like 15 before I got the courage to say "gently caress" or "poo poo"

It's extra weird bc we're french and I could cheerfully drop merdes and putains to her to no complaint.